Author Topic: Ramblin' Man Fair  (Read 857 times)

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
Ramblin' Man Fair
« on: July 04, 2015, 07:33:24 AM »
Sorry if this isn't the wrong place Mods, couldn't figure where to put it, but it's music related so...

So the gods have decided to bestow on the UK a full on classic rock/prog festival in a muddy field down south, is anyone here going? I imagine the majority of people on here in the UK have heard of it or got tickets already!

The setlist is a blinder, DT are playing the main stage, and it has its very own prog stage, with bands like Marillion, Ian Anderson, Riverside, Pineapple Thief, Alcest, Anathema, Camel, Haken, Pendragon etc... I pretty much was sold when I saw Riverside as I've only seen those guys live once in 2014 and they were hands down the best live show I'd ever been to (I go to a _lot_) but when I saw Anathema, DT and Pineapple Thief were also playing I was seriously excited.

It's not really an on-site camping festival so I think we're renting a tipi or something like that as it'd take some real coercion to get me to sleep in a tent.

So, anyone from the forum going? I did a search and couldn't see a topic. Proper chuffed I didn't bother with Glastonbury or Leeds/Reading/Download once I saw this lineup.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Ramblin' Man Fair
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 12:36:39 PM »
Oh look, another reason to be mad at Europe... shitballs what a line up. :omg:

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 06:25:18 PM »
Riverside live is killer.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 01:21:54 PM »
I fancied it but I'm at the other end of the country and couldn't justify the expense. Had it been the following week we would be down there on our family holiday.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 07:28:38 AM »
I've also made the very difficult decision not to go - but I'm wondering how long DT will play for. If it's the full 90 minutes, I'm sure I'll be kicking myself, however if they're only doing a 45 minute set I'll be quick glad I missed it.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 08:44:10 AM »
Oh look, another reason to be mad at Europe... shitballs what a line up. :omg:
No kidding.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 08:28:59 PM »
Forget being mad at Europe, can we all just celebrate the fact that Faye posted?

Where you been gurl?

Oh yeah, and Fuck Europe.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 10:08:18 AM »
Forget being mad at Europe, can we all just celebrate the fact that Faye posted?

Where you been gurl?

I've been around... the important thing is my return :P

This festival has cost me a bomb too, £110 ticket plus £70 travel and £70 accommodation plus spending money there, a new sleeping bag etc. but it'll all be worth it to see Riverside alone. Throw in the other bands and it's a bargain.

I may be in the difficult position of having to choose between Anathema and DT though, as I think they might be on at a similar time, different stages. I reckon I'll have to plump for Anathema though. I didn't think much of DT's latest record and I've already seen them 11 times, I would rather grab the chance to see Anathema for only the third time on a smaller stage... hopefully I won't have to make that choice though!

Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 11:24:37 AM »
So the bad news is that DT are on at 7pm for what seems like a long set (the next band aren't on for ninety minutes), but Anathema at 7.30pm somewhere else entirely!

Not sure whether to try catch some of their set then dash off to see Anathema or just accent... ah shit I'm starting to doubt myself now. Maybe just see DT. Either way I'm gonna regret I sense already lol.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 11:37:38 AM »
So the bad news is that DT are on at 7pm for what seems like a long set (the next band aren't on for ninety minutes), but Anathema at 7.30pm somewhere else entirely!

Not sure whether to try catch some of their set then dash off to see Anathema or just accent... ah shit I'm starting to doubt myself now. Maybe just see DT. Either way I'm gonna regret I sense already lol.

Who's more likely to come back to the area on their own tour that you'd be able to see.  That should be factored in as well.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 11:45:49 AM »
I thought of that and it's pretty evenly weighted. DT will be back for their own tour soon and so will Anathema for their next album. Neither is a 'if not now, never' kinda thing. But yeah, I think Anathema. I have listened to them way more in recent times than DT given how much I love Anathema's latest record and how little I enjoy DT's self-titled.