Author Topic: JP Improvising on TSCO? - And related  (Read 1124 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
JP Improvising on TSCO? - And related
« on: July 03, 2015, 09:33:04 AM »
Here's a cool bit I found watching videos from the ongoing tour. In Katowice, John apparently decided to have a small improvisation on the closing solo of TSCO, or more likely hit a wrong note and recovered the melody with a great display of style and a little flair before carrying on with the usual melody.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymJqg_CQEmU&t=5m35s

I like this specific variation quite a lot, and as many here I'd love if those took place more often, possibly on purpose!  :lol

The improvisational side of DT on stage has always been one of their absolute best features, and even though nowadays it's not as evident and upfront as it used to be in the past, it's heartwarming to see from time to time a few drops of their talent in that department filtering through the walls!  :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline CharlesPL

Re: JP Improvising on TSCO? - And related
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 09:55:09 AM »
I think it was a mistake.Great show, by the way :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 10:56:25 AM »

I think it was probably a mistake too, but the mark of a great musician like JP is the ability to recover without anyone knowing for sure one way or another. And the end result sounded good and new, so I dug it!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »

JP is the ability to recover without anyone knowing for sure one way or another. And the end result sounded good and new, so I dug it!

+1

In Prague He played like always.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 12:17:26 PM »
So he did in Rome yesterday. It's a shame he didn't keep it, it sounded refreshing and pleasant to my ears! I love extended outro solos in general, and JP sure has proved himself to be extremely proficient in those in the past! :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »
The first alteration almost sounds like it was intentional, altho there was the slip up at 6:03 that definitely was not intentional.

But yeah, I like little things like that - mistakes that they manage to pull off and go back into the song as if it was intentionally done. Can't remember what show I was listening to, but there was an occasion like that and the way JP played it off was awesome. Definitely would love to see some of those mistakes become intentional things!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 01:08:21 PM »
The first alteration almost sounds like it was intentional, altho there was the slip up at 6:03 that definitely was not intentional.

But yeah, I like little things like that - mistakes that they manage to pull off and go back into the song as if it was intentionally done. Can't remember what show I was listening to, but there was an occasion like that and the way JP played it off was awesome. Definitely would love to see some of those mistakes become intentional things!

Yeah, one of my greatest problems with DT as of late is their predictability. I would also like more things like that.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline PetFish

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 03:18:37 PM »
Toughest thing about guitar, and vocals, is that mistakes are glaringly obvious, can't really hide them.  Great little short improv to recover though.  :)