Author Topic: How many more years do you think DT's gonna be active?  (Read 2402 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
How many more years do you think DT's gonna be active?
« on: July 02, 2015, 09:31:24 AM »
 :omg:
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Re: How many more years do you think DT's gonna be active?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 09:33:08 AM »
I don't see any reason they can't get to their 40th Anniversary. Beyond that... who knows? Bands have been known to go past their 50th, so here's hoping! (As long as the live product is still good, anyway.)
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 09:37:30 AM »
DT? Quite a lot of years left, I'd imagine. Musically? Till they're dead. These guys will probably never lose their passion for creating music.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 09:54:28 AM »
DT? Quite a lot of years left, I'd imagine. Musically? Till they're dead. These guys will probably never lose their passion for creating music.

I'd say they'll record another 6 or 7 albums...
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 09:57:41 AM »
My only hope is that I get to bring my as-of-yet-unconceived child to a DT show someday. So at least another 15-16 years.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 10:19:57 AM »
Realistically I think they will go for as long as they can.  They are a band that makes a good living but can't stop touring in order to retire and live the good life.  On the other hand, 3 of the members have kids that are college age so once they graduate it makes it easier to scale back on the income.  If they continue to record albums every 2 years then I think they will do at least 2 more albums (after the current one) before they maybe slow down a bit.  I doubt they will ever "quit".

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 10:30:41 AM »
I'd say about 10 to 15 years, or hell, even more. It's DT after all.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 12:07:34 PM »
The real wild card in this is Jordan. While the rest of the guys all turned 50 within the past two years, Jordan is almost 60. He is closer to losing his fingers than the rest of them and they may not want to continue without him.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 12:20:31 PM »
The real wild card in this is Jordan. While the rest of the guys all turned 50 within the past two years, Jordan is almost 60. He is closer to losing his fingers than the rest of them and they may not want to continue without him.

Jordan's getting older, but also getting faster. I think this isn't going to be a problem at all. They'll be active many more years, maybe touring a little less and having more time to rest between recording and touring.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 12:44:10 PM »
The real wild card in this is Jordan.
I agree. How long will the band continue? I can imagine easily for another 15 years. How long will the band continue with the current lineup? That's more up for debate. I think JR's got plenty to keep himself busy with, experimenting with new keyboard-ish instruments, designing/updating new apps and solo material, so that within the next 10 years he'll be ready to retire. Will the band continue on? I don't see why not - they've had other lineup changes, including that of losing MP, so I'd imagine that they'll find another very capable keyboardist and keep going.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 12:45:48 PM »
Yeah, I can see Jordan continuing in the band for a maximum of 10 years before he starts concentrating on his solo career and designing apps and instruments.

As for the rest of the guys, who knows? DT's music is so technical that it's unrealistic to expect them to continue into their 70s like Rolling Stones, but the guys in Rush are a little over 60 and can still play great. As long as DT doesn't turn into a bad parody of itself like Metallica they'll be ok. The gaps between the albums will most likely get longer and the tours will be shorter, though.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 01:27:36 PM »
Anything written below is my uninformed prediction/observation and most likely completely off:

Honestly he seems like one of those people who will, unless something terrible happens (god forbid, even though I don't believe in it - please have mercy on Jordan!), will have their essence and high spirit until a very old age. Plus, there are TONS of people who continue to work a lot and work hard until their late 60s and even further, even if they don't have the same willpower as Jordan. And considering he's still achieving new peaks in his career with his entrepreneurship efforts in the past few years, I doubt he's gonna stop anytime soon.

So as I see it, Jordan and Mike Mangini are the least of our problems. James will probably not mind to keep going for at least another 5-8 years but his age really begins to show, especially on his off-nights, and I doubt he would ever be opposed to either retirement from DT (to move on to other things outside of prog-metal, like his dream of performing in Broadway), or retirement in general, once the idea surfaces from fellow band members.

The same kind of goes for JP - I bet he wouldn't mind working on more experimental projects and not having such a tight schedule as he does with DT. He'd be fine anyway as he'd have a huge following regardless of the project, his name gives him all the publicity he needs.

I have absolutely no prediction for JMX and I have no idea what's going on inside that man's head.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 01:46:39 PM »
The same kind of goes for JP - I bet he wouldn't mind working on more experimental projects and not having such a tight schedule as he does with DT. He'd be fine anyway as he'd have a huge following regardless of the project, his name gives him all the publicity he needs.
Honestly, I seriously doubt this. If this had been the case, then why didn't he (and by extension, the rest of the band) agree to the hiatus that MP had asked for in 2010? Pretty sure that JP likes the defined schedule that DT has. And there's still plenty of time that he could work on different projects outside of DT in his off time, but he never seems to. How long has it been since Suspended Animation came out and he's talked about working on the follow up album? He doesn't strike me as someone who wants to do a lot of outside projects in the same way that MP, JR and even JL do.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 01:53:58 PM »
People seem to go merely by age here. MM has had issues with his leg coming into DT, and JP at some point had issues with his arm I believe.
I think the issue will much rather become at which point the renditions are just not "there" anymore. JP's playing doesn't hve the same fluidity anymore that it had on say Live In Tokyo.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »
Honestly, I seriously doubt this. If this had been the case, then why didn't he (and by extension, the rest of the band) agree to the hiatus that MP had asked for in 2010? Pretty sure that JP likes the defined schedule that DT has. And there's still plenty of time that he could work on different projects outside of DT in his off time, but he never seems to. How long has it been since Suspended Animation came out and he's talked about working on the follow up album? He doesn't strike me as someone who wants to do a lot of outside projects in the same way that MP, JR and even JL do.

I'm with you, Scotty; it seems like some of these "predictions" are just made up out of thin air and have little to do with the reality (albeit limited) that we know about. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 04:47:32 PM »

As for the rest of the guys, who knows? DT's music is so technical that it's unrealistic to expect them to continue into their 70s like Rolling Stones, but the guys in Rush are a little over 60 and can still play great. As long as DT doesn't turn into a bad parody of itself like Metallica they'll be ok. The gaps between the albums will most likely get longer and the tours will be shorter, though.

True, but two of the three are reportedly in a lot of pain and totally gutting out this (likely) final tour, and Dream Theater's music is way busier than Rush's has ever been (as a whole), so I think major aches and pains aren't far behind for some or all of the DT members, if they aren't already there. 

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 04:49:32 PM »
I think they'll create music and write/record albums until they can't any longer. Actually touring and performing is another story, but like others have said here, they can easily get to their 40th anniversary.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 04:54:49 PM »
Petrucci & Myung are only 47 and 48  that's still pretty "young" for a band that's reached it's 30th anniversary.

I can see them going another 10 years but the albums might get less technical and the tours might get shorter.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 04:56:45 PM »
Setlist Scotty and Stadler: maybe you are right, and (at least personally) I did not claim my thoughts on the matter are based on anything besides my own rationale. But just to address the logic behind the paragraph you've criticized: One of the reasons that I personally believe the guys wanted to continue when MP proposed to put on a hiatus was that "Hey, we're continuing to grow with each release and tour. Why stop here?". Pretty sure there are some interviews to back me up on that specific observation. So the fact that JP wanted to carry on 5 years ago doesn't mean he's willing to continue for WAY longer, just that he (very reasonably so) didn't want to halt the momentum of the band back then.

Now, then again, it's been 5 years since the proposal surfaced. In my post I predicted at least 5-8 more years with anything beyond that being uncertain. 10-13 years is a long enough time to change your mind, and it's definitely long enough to exhaust your momentum and begin to regress in both quality and commercial success.

There is one point where I completely agree with you that I've missed the mark, and that's the willingness of JP to do side projects. But as you said, he does work on a side project, it's just taking forever. One reason for that could be that he had to take a on a bigger role in the band when MP left, they basically split MP's multiple responsibilities between them.

Either way, that really wasn't the point of my original post and I wrongfully derailed both there and here, so let's sum it up with my key predictions: I'd be shocked if they didn't carry on for at least 3-4 more albums, but anything more would be a fun surprise, and I doubt Jordan would be the first person to decide to quit because...reasons :)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 04:59:16 PM »
Petrucci & Myung are only 47 and 48  that's still pretty "young" for a band that's reached it's 30th anniversary.

I can see them going another 10 years but the albums might get less technical and the tours might get shorter.
They already are doing just the one tour this year (30th Anniv. obviously) and the album took them longer than the past 4-5, so I imagine they'll try to settle into a more "relaxed" schedule for everyone. For me, the music is the most important thing. As long as they can keep making music, I'll be happy. Because we all know they can't tour forever. But we'd be kidding ourselves if they'd stop anytime soon.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 06:17:11 PM »
I think what we will see at some point is the retirement of certain songs that are too taxing on them. I think Take The Time (for vocals) and TGP (for guitar) have already been semi-retired.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 09:10:47 PM »
I think they have a lot of years left creating music and recording albums. Touring, on the other hand, they might scale down a bit in the next five to ten years. Especially for James, whose singing style I think would really be affected by age.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 09:25:28 PM »
Given its theme of ending where it begins, let's assume Octavarium is the midpoint of their career. That was in 2005, when they were around for 20 years. So they'll last 40 years and disband in 2025. At that point, Petrucci will be 58 years old.

Nuggetz!
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline zecawolf

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 08:50:31 AM »
I think it obviously depends on how are the fans going to receive future works.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 12:38:01 AM »
10-15 years would be my guess

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 01:11:00 AM »
Officially, I think the band will continue to exist as long as John Petrucci can play a guitar.  As far as being a an active, full-time band, though, I'm thinking about 15 more years, give or take.  At their current rate, that will be right around the time they release their 20th album, which will also be around the 40th anniversary of WDADU, and the 45th anniversary of the band.  By then, Petrucci and Myung will be in their early 60's, LaBrie and Mangini will be in their late 60's, and Rudess will be into his 70's.  I think around that time we will see DT making statements similar to what Rush are saying right now, about cutting down on the band's touring, recording and the like.  I doubt there will be an actual break up of the band until Petrucci can no longer play music (which for him will probably be 'til the day he dies), but I think once they get to that 20th album/40th WDADU anniversary/45th band anniversary in 2029-2030, they will scale back their activities as Dream Theater drastically.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:17:59 AM by The Dark Master »

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 02:56:27 AM »
Jordan Rudess will develop a way to continue playing, you can count on that
That's exactly what his company does.
I think the man might develop a way to play without forcing his fingers so much, that would be awesome :P
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 11:02:06 AM »
Jordan Rudess will develop a way to continue playing, you can count on that

With the technology he handles, I think he could become a robot in the not too distant future..  :lol This already exists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP4sYKR4NUc
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 12:42:33 PM »
Well, you have to ask yourself, what would Rush do?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White