Author Topic: Primus Thread v. Chocolate Cheese Factory  (Read 1588 times)

Offline de_fromage

Primus Thread v. Chocolate Cheese Factory
« on: June 29, 2015, 02:34:30 PM »
I'm really disturbed by the lack of Primus in here. Come in, discuss Primus and all Primus-related projects.

Also I'll take the chance to say that if you're on Dime and want some awesome recordings go get them, I'm sharing all my collection there, 32.6g5 Petabytes....

Just kidding.

How did you like the Primus and the Chocolate Factory album?
What era is your favorite one?
How will you name your child, John the Fisherman? Harold? Lee? Krinkle? Mud????

I leave you with a recent video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deZ0lERmfDM
Ringo is one of my top 5 Beatles.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Primus Thread v. Chocolate Cheese Factory
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 03:34:14 PM »
Love Primus but don't like all the albums.

1. Seas Of Cheese
2. Brown Album
3. Green Naugahyde

Top 3.

Fave songs :

1. Lacquerhead
2. Tommy The Cat
3. Lee Van Cleef

Fave Line up :

Les, Ler, Brain.

Offline de_fromage

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 05:42:07 PM »
Love Primus but don't like all the albums.

1. Seas Of Cheese
2. Brown Album
3. Green Naugahyde

Top 3.

Fave songs :

1. Lacquerhead
2. Tommy The Cat
3. Lee Van Cleef

Fave Line up :

Les, Ler, Brain.

So far I've liked every single album and I see some appreciation of Antipop there, it's a shame they don't play something from that album more often. I'd like to see some actual rendition of Antipo of Uncle Sam, I know it's not they're best album but people like it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 08:00:59 PM »
I remembered seeing this not too long ago.   It's Les Claypool rating all the Primus albums.   (the proper ones....Suck on This and Animals Should Not Try to Act Like People EP not included...and I don't think the Chocolate Factory was out yet).

https://noisey.vice.com/blog/rank-your-records-primus-les-claypool

Interesting list, and made me want to go back and check out Pork Soda....never cared for that album when I heard it. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 09:31:45 PM »
I kind of like Primus but I'm not sure I ever really got them. At their best it's like... I like their songs despite the unique style, not because of it. I'm just tolerating Les' weirdness because some of the riffs of Frizzle Fry or The Toys Go Winding Down are awesome.

I will say that Frizzle Fry is a great album. Back when they were still relatively heavy and straight forward. I fail to see how anyone can like the song Mr. Krinkle or My Name is Mud, for example. No strong melodies there. But the debut, man... straight to the point and just good songs.

Offline de_fromage

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 10:35:05 PM »
I remembered seeing this not too long ago.   It's Les Claypool rating all the Primus albums.   (the proper ones....Suck on This and Animals Should Not Try to Act Like People EP not included...and I don't think the Chocolate Factory was out yet).

https://noisey.vice.com/blog/rank-your-records-primus-les-claypool

Interesting list, and made me want to go back and check out Pork Soda....never cared for that album when I heard it.

It's an amazing interview, and like he said, Por Soda has this dark vibe that sometimes makes it harder to get into but it's just the general frame that it got, not on purpose. If you give it another chance I'm sure you'll rediscover some good tunes, Mud, Krinkle, Bob.

I kind of like Primus but I'm not sure I ever really got them. At their best it's like... I like their songs despite the unique style, not because of it. I'm just tolerating Les' weirdness because some of the riffs of Frizzle Fry or The Toys Go Winding Down are awesome.

I will say that Frizzle Fry is a great album. Back when they were still relatively heavy and straight forward. I fail to see how anyone can like the song Mr. Krinkle or My Name is Mud, for example. No strong melodies there. But the debut, man... straight to the point and just good songs.

Personally I think they have quite good melodies, Krinkle goes on and on and then the guitar just makes the melody weirder but they buil up to this carnival climax.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 07:46:57 AM »
I'd love to have more Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade.

That said Primus was my all time favorite band ever until Phish came along for me (mid 90s).  I still go see Les and the band when I can, though.

Now I just have a group of favorites and no real distinct all-time-favorite anymore.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 07:51:15 AM »
Seas of Cheese and Pork Soda were staples of my childhood, love em. 

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 07:52:38 AM »

You are really missing out on the magic of Frizzle Fry. Still my favorite album by Primus.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 03:27:02 PM »
Yeah, I really need to get into the rest of the discog.  The only other ones I've heard besides those two are Antipop, The Brown Album (ew) and Suck on This, which is awesome. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 03:35:12 PM »
I saw them on the STSOF, Pork Soda and TFTP tours.  All damn awesome. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 03:55:59 PM »
Yeah, I really need to get into the rest of the discog.  The only other ones I've heard besides those two are Antipop, The Brown Album (ew) and Suck on This, which is awesome.

Check out their most recent one Green Naugahyde. It's their last album of original material as Primus.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 07:14:54 PM »
Primus and Les Claypool can do no wrong.

Still monumentally disappointed we got Vinnie Moore instead of Primus to open Rush's Roll The Bones Tour.

Now I can't for the life of me remember who opened the third leg of the Roll The Bones Tour...Oh that's right.  Mr. Big again. No wonder I forgot.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 07:16:30 PM »
Primus and Les Claypool can do no wrong.

Still monumentally disappointed we got Vinnie Moore instead of Primus to open Rush's Roll The Bones Tour.

Now I can't for the life of me remember who opened the third leg of the Roll The Bones Tour...Oh that's right.  Mr. Big again. No wonder I forgot.

I know.  I know.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline de_fromage

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 10:00:43 PM »

Not childhood but the one that really changed (on a considerable scale) my life is Tales from the Punchbowl, biggest discovery in my life. VH1, 3AM, had nothing that made me passionate about, then it came Wynnonas and it blew my mind, I couldn't believe that was a bass. I couldn't sleep because I was so exited and wanted to start playing bass, first thing in the morning when my mom woke up I annoyed the hell out of her saying I wanted to have a bass and take lessons.

:beaver smiley:

(Also the video is so damn hilarious)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
Play us some bass!!

Offline de_fromage

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 06:48:51 PM »