Author Topic: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread  (Read 90301 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread
« Reply #1085 on: May 26, 2016, 11:53:37 AM »

This hurts........ :'(
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1086 on: May 26, 2016, 12:42:47 PM »

This hurts........ :'(

As a Hawks fan, I have to laugh at that lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1087 on: May 26, 2016, 03:40:51 PM »
I'm sorry to the St. Louis DTF guys. This was a perfect storm (no Kings or Blackhawks) to finally exorcise their playoff demons. Of course the same can be said for the Sharks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1088 on: May 26, 2016, 05:17:36 PM »
Stamkos is suiting up for tonight!

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1089 on: May 26, 2016, 11:36:13 PM »
Go Pens! Wooooo!

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1090 on: May 27, 2016, 12:49:46 AM »
Congratulations Pens. It was a well fought series on both ends.

I was hoping my more experienced Tampa Bay Lightning could go all the way this year, but hopefully we will have that chance again next season. We have a lot of great talent on this Bolts team, and the future looks bright! it's rare for Tampa Bay fan to say that lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1091 on: May 27, 2016, 02:00:03 AM »
Go penguins! :)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1092 on: May 27, 2016, 07:17:07 AM »
Awesome stuff last night from the Pens, finding a way to beat this Lighting team, not easy to do at all.

Beyond excited my boys are back in the finals for the first time since lifting the cup in 09.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #1093 on: May 27, 2016, 12:02:17 PM »
Awesome stuff last night from the Pens, finding a way to beat this Lighting team, not easy to do at all.

Beyond excited my boys are back in the finals for the first time since lifting the cup in 09.

WOW!! That game was close to giving me a heart attack :o.  That crowd was unbelievable!! Should be a great finals as Sharks are on fire too!!

GO PENS!!!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1094 on: May 27, 2016, 04:54:28 PM »
Pretty sure Subban could break all of Orr's scoring records and still not get selected for Team Canada. Hockey Canada is an old boys club unfortunately and if you're a risk-taking defenseman you don't make it.

Probably won't stop Canada from being a wall defensively, but how does Muzzin make the team exactly?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:59:32 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1095 on: May 27, 2016, 05:16:40 PM »
Because Canada doesn't need any more offence from the blue line, they have guys like Burns and Doughty to provide the offence, and they can play in their own end at a higher caliber than Subban. Muzzin is a super steady dman who still puts up 40 points, and in a short tournament you need guys like that than you do the risk takers. It's why PK didn't make it, same with Letang, and Klingber for Sweden.

But that being said, I think a guy like Giordano would have been a better pick than Muzzin, but the latter is so underrated so it's not a bad choice.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1096 on: May 27, 2016, 11:11:35 PM »
Burns is definitely not better defensively than Subban.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1097 on: May 28, 2016, 03:55:11 PM »
Burns is definitely not better defensively than Subban.

Disagree.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1098 on: May 28, 2016, 08:21:05 PM »
Meh. I love love love Burns, in fact he'd be right up there with Subban when it comes to my favourite players, but defensively I don't think he's really even close to Subban. Unfortunately PK will always be undersold in that facet because of his play style, just like Karlsson (although Karlsson isn't really great defensively, he is at least good defensively).

Doughty I can give it to though, he does outdo Subban defensively. In any case, all the mentioned defenseman deserve to be there ahead of Muzzin, and even Shea Weber for that matter. As do Mark Giordano and TJ Brodie (who is vastly, vastly underrated). To get into how I feel about Weber now, I love the guy but he only gets all the praise he does because of his physicality, which is a very overrated way to look at a defender. Going by facts, he is outshone by a lot of other defenseman.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 08:27:54 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1099 on: May 29, 2016, 01:21:35 PM »
Okay, lets say for arguments sake PK and Burns are equals on the defensive side of the puck or PK even has a small advantage (which, like Nick, I think Burns is superior), then would you rather have Burns QB'ing your powerplay, or PK? Burns' offensive numbers this year were ridiculous (let's face is, Karlsson is an "offenceman"), and he has kept it going through the playoffs thus far, and has led an absolute dynamite PP unit all year. PK's only chance to make team canada is to be the powerplay QB, and honestly there are 2-3 guys better for that spot in this team than he. I like PK, I think he's a great player, but I don't think he belongs on Canada in a best on best tournament.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1100 on: May 30, 2016, 09:20:50 PM »
Great win for the Pens tonight. The first and second periods will be what happens if either team doesn't show up for a period, but the third was how I expect this series to be played. Crosby was unreal tonight though, seemed to be on another level compared to everyone else out on the ice.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1101 on: May 31, 2016, 04:15:25 AM »
The Sharks absolutely have to take Game 2. If they don't steal at least one game on the road they have virtually no chance of winning this series.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1102 on: May 31, 2016, 07:03:07 AM »
1 down, 3 to go!

Great win by the Pens last night. Rust continues to be red hot, Sid was on another level, and the defense held the Sharks' speed in check for good stretches of the game.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: May 31, 2016, 07:10:17 AM »
Ugh.... :(

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/hitchcock-will-return-to-coach-blues-in/article_23c36da8-756f-5d36-ba7a-9d4acabcc2c6.html

Can I go ahead and submit my post elimination rant for next years Playoff now? Here are a couple excerpts....."out coached again.......Blues played trying not to lose instead of playing to win"...and so on.

Look, I know there isn't a huge market of coaches out there to pick from but if you expect things to change then you gotta make changes.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1104 on: May 31, 2016, 07:15:20 AM »

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/hitchcock-will-return-to-coach-blues-in/article_23c36da8-756f-5d36-ba7a-9d4acabcc2c6.html

Can I go ahead and submit my post elimination rant for next years Playoff now? Here are a couple excerpts....."out coached again.......Blues played trying not to lose instead of playing to win"...and so on.

Look, I know there isn't a huge market of coaches out there to pick from but if you expect things to change then you gotta make changes.

Well, it is only a one year deal. I'm not too familiar with how the Blues ownership handles stuff like this, but a lot of time a one year deal means the coach is on a short leash. A lot of hockey teams would extend a coach like Ken for a year but would be quick to fire him if things aren't going their way next year, not losing as much $$ then.

Do you guys have a good AHL head coach that could make the jump next year?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1105 on: May 31, 2016, 07:41:29 AM »
Tough loss for the Sharks but it was a very entertaining game. I see this series going 7.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: May 31, 2016, 09:04:14 AM »

Well, it is only a one year deal. I'm not too familiar with how the Blues ownership handles stuff like this, but a lot of time a one year deal means the coach is on a short leash. A lot of hockey teams would extend a coach like Ken for a year but would be quick to fire him if things aren't going their way next year, not losing as much $$ then.

Do you guys have a good AHL head coach that could make the jump next year?

This past season was a one year deal as well. By all accounts it was 'successful' by any other standards but getting out of the first round shouldn't have been the goal. The goal is to win the cup, we didn't and it was due to the same issues as his previous teams. No killer instinct, lack of showing up to play for games....and being stifled by another coaches moves.

His assistant coach Kirk Muller would be a perfect choice IMO. He knows the players, is familiar with the system but could tweak it enough to bring a fresh perspective and maybe he could inspire on a level Hitchcock has proven he's incapable of doing.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1107 on: May 31, 2016, 09:51:51 AM »
Hate to say I told you so, but I didn't think he would be out after this year.
Brouwer has been quoted as saying he's been thinking about going to Vancouverif he doesnt re-sign with the Blues.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1108 on: May 31, 2016, 10:09:25 AM »
Hate to say I told you so, but I didn't think he would be out after this year.
Brouwer has been quoted as saying he's been thinking about going to Vancouverif he doesnt re-sign with the Blues.

Deep down I knew he'd be back. You can't point to where he technically failed....it's an intangible that he lacks IMO.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1109 on: May 31, 2016, 04:39:40 PM »
I really hope Brouwer stays. He added a toughness to the Blues that came through for much of the playoffs.

I expected Hitchcock back and I am okay with it.  I know Gary disagrees, but progress was made this year and they are still thisclose to winning it all.  No need to blow it up; just need a few tweaks to the roster.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: June 01, 2016, 06:53:03 PM »
.....and the Blues lose Kirk Muller due to Hitchcock staying.  :facepalm: He's good with the players, very close and respected by them. He is the perfect fit for the roster the Blues have and they've dicked it all up now to allow Hitchcock to come up short one more time.

There was hopes he would stay with the team as the 'known' heir after Hitchcock leaves next year but the Blues would only offer him a one year deal.

I'm not saying Muller would have been freaking Scotty Bowman but IMO the Blues just F'd this whole thing ridiculous just to keep a coach who's incapable of inspiring a team.  There is absolutely nothing new that Hitchcock can bring to the Blues next year other than higher cholesterol and a guarantee that he won't have the players ready to play at least two games out of every series they play.

:clap:  good job D Bags

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1111 on: June 01, 2016, 08:07:42 PM »
I knew Pittsburgh was a great team, but I didn't expect them to dominate like this. They deserve a lot of credit for throwing San Jose off of their game. Very impressed with how Jones is playing though… not a Sharks fan but I am still pulling for them in this series. I'd love to see them finally win a cup.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1112 on: June 01, 2016, 08:12:51 PM »
.....and the Blues lose Kirk Muller due to Hitchcock staying.  :facepalm: He's good with the players, very close and respected by them. He is the perfect fit for the roster the Blues have and they've dicked it all up now to allow Hitchcock to come up short one more time.

There was hopes he would stay with the team as the 'known' heir after Hitchcock leaves next year but the Blues would only offer him a one year deal.

I'm not saying Muller would have been freaking Scotty Bowman but IMO the Blues just F'd this whole thing ridiculous just to keep a coach who's incapable of inspiring a team.  There is absolutely nothing new that Hitchcock can bring to the Blues next year other than higher cholesterol and a guarantee that he won't have the players ready to play at least two games out of every series they play.

Shaw declined to return as well.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1113 on: June 01, 2016, 08:36:28 PM »
I hate to see Muller and Shaw both go. Not as keen on Hitch staying, given these turn of events.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1114 on: June 01, 2016, 08:57:19 PM »
Does Hitchcock skate with the team for practices or do the assistants handle that? I just usually see coaches skate with the team and I can't imagine Hitchcock skating.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: June 01, 2016, 09:00:16 PM »

Shaw declined to return as well.

Not surprised about Shaw. He's been with us 10 years and been twice passed over for head coach, and he knew the Blues were leaning Muller.

I hate to see Muller and Shaw both go. Not as keen on Hitch staying, given these turn of events.

Muller leaving flat sucks. It can't be expressed enough how important he was for the young players like Schwartz, Tarasenko, Fabbri, Jaskin, Jake Allen. He had developed such a relationship with them and worked with them, he was the sanity for those players when Hitchcock's douchebaggery was in full tilt.

These two guys leaving, especially Muller will have a much larger impact on the team than Hitchcock staying. And not in a good way. Tough to be excited about next season at this point.

Does Hitchcock skate with the team for practices or do the assistants handle that? I just usually see coaches skate with the team and I can't imagine Hitchcock skating.

I've seen video clips of him with the team on the ice, holding a stick.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1116 on: June 01, 2016, 09:13:33 PM »
Great shot to win it. Hope the Pens sweep.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1117 on: June 02, 2016, 06:27:40 AM »
HUGE win last night.

Going back to California up 2-0 rather than 1-1 is enormous. If the Pens can, at the very least, split the next two in CA, they'd be in great shape.

The whole team continues to be a marvel.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1118 on: June 02, 2016, 08:35:43 AM »
Ugh, I'm scared.  Sharks keep falling short.  Hopefully home ice will help.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1119 on: June 02, 2016, 09:27:37 AM »
I think that may have been the nail in the coffin for San Jose. Pittsburgh is too good to lose the next four out of five games, especially with three of those being home games.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask