Author Topic: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread  (Read 90916 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Official NHL 2015-2016 Thread
« Reply #1050 on: May 25, 2016, 06:28:05 AM »
Bring on game 7 baby! Great win by the Pens last night!!

Much improved effort defensively by the whole team. Also when your stars score it gives you a great chance to win. Good stuff all around.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1051 on: May 25, 2016, 08:26:11 AM »

My view of game six tonight's when the Lightning disappointed me

That's a fairly epic seat. I went to Devils vs Rangers in the EC Finals a few years ago and it was easily the best live sporting event I've ever been to. It did help that the Devils won handily :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1052 on: May 25, 2016, 07:52:45 PM »
Outplayed, outworked, outcoached, etc.  The Blues look like they are ready for the season to be over.  :censored >:(

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1053 on: May 25, 2016, 08:06:23 PM »
Outplayed, outworked, outcoached, etc.  The Blues look like they are ready for the season to be over.  :censored >:(

Yet it's only 1-0. All it takes is one to tie.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1054 on: May 25, 2016, 08:26:05 PM »
The Blues are sure venting their frustration with a stick to the face! Punk ass.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1055 on: May 25, 2016, 08:56:21 PM »
The Blues are sure venting their frustration with a stick to the face! Punk ass.

The Sharks still have the lead in cheap shots this series, so simmer down there, sparky.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1056 on: May 25, 2016, 09:03:20 PM »

The Sharks still have the lead in cheap shots this series, so simmer down there, sparky.

I just considered it karma for the late hit on Fabbri two games ago. All he did was try to lift the stick and missed. Im surprised it was called being they let it go last game when it happened to Parayko.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1057 on: May 25, 2016, 09:30:02 PM »
 :corn

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #1058 on: May 25, 2016, 09:34:27 PM »
The Sharks are SUCH a better team than the Blues right now. Blues were fortunate to even get 2 this series. Blues are slow, indecisive, and haven't switched up the plays much even though SJ has obviously studied the shit out of them. Congrats to the Sharks.

That being said fuck the Sharks: Joe Thornton with his subtle cheap shot habits (to Perron and Oshie in years past); Marleau for having stupid fucking eyebrows; Pete deBoeur for being a whiny bitch (and fuck the Blues for taking soooo many bad penalties); for toeing the line between diving to draw every penalty they did so as to increase the PP opportunities; for having a goalie who 6 games into this series I STILL haven't heard of; for fleecing the Wild in the Burns trade (seriously lol Wild); Logan Coture's teeth; and the fucking iSketch sound effects they make when announcing the goal scorers.

OK that felt pretty good and Tarasenko has scored twice since I've been typing it. I could make an even longer post about the Blues and especially the defenseman.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1059 on: May 25, 2016, 09:51:16 PM »
Congrats to the Sharks! This should be a great final series!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1060 on: May 25, 2016, 09:53:21 PM »
I think, other than when goals were scored, the 3rd period tonight was the first time the whole series I heard the San Jose crowd get loud.  I guess it's easy to get loud when you have in the bank. :lol

That aside, the Blues put up a major fight at the end, instead of rolling over after it got to 4-0, so that was nice to see at least.  Disappointing end to the season, but still a helluva postseason run.  It was a mostly fun ride.  :coolio :hat

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1061 on: May 25, 2016, 09:54:26 PM »
Way to go Sharks! My second team after the Caps I wanted to take home the cup. I've always really liked them and Thornton is one of my favourite players. Marleau needs this too. Hopefully they kick ass in the finals.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: May 25, 2016, 09:55:21 PM »
Well....that sucked.

First off...that has to be a great feeling there Dylan and dparrott....It's increasingly obvious I'll never experience it. Congrats on your team heading to the Cup, so exciting! They definitely whipped the Blues in many aspects. Good Luck. I do apologize for anything that I've said (or will say)....heat of the battle and all that....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1063 on: May 25, 2016, 09:59:48 PM »
Yep, congrats to the Sharks and their fans. 

I'll be rooting against them in the finals, however. :biggrin:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: May 25, 2016, 10:07:23 PM »
As far as the rest....first off...this:

That being said fuck the Sharks: Joe Thornton with his subtle cheap shot habits (to Perron and Oshie in years past); Marleau for having stupid fucking eyebrows; Pete deBoeur for being a whiny bitch (and fuck the Blues for taking soooo many bad penalties); for toeing the line between diving to draw every penalty they did so as to increase the PP opportunities; for having a goalie who 6 games into this series I STILL haven't heard of; for fleecing the Wild in the Burns trade (seriously lol Wild); Logan Coture's teeth; and the fucking iSketch sound effects they make when announcing the goal scorers.

and....if Hitchcock isn't fired by the time he leaves the building then something is wrong. He was drastically out coached in this series. I mean, you can't figure out what San Jose is doing to stifle your leading scorer....or figure out how to stifle that Pavalski/Thornton line? Gimme a break...what the  :censored are they paying you for.

Jay Boumeister is useless and I don't care if he has a year left with a massive salary I'd pay him not to play any longer....who cares how many minutes he eats up if the minutes he's playing he F'n Sucks!!

Bye Bye Shattenkirk. Rick Nash has said he's interested in a trade and Shattenkirk is a NY boy so get it done Stillman. Paryako proved we don't need Shattenkirk's bad penalty taking, constantly outworked ass any longer.

Lay the F off of Tarasenko. We don't beat Chicago or Dallas without him and I'll bet $10 by the end of the week we learn there's some bone broke on his body. There has to be. Dude took more Slashes than a GnR groupie.

There was a team in this series that played to win it and a team in this series that played trying not to lose it. And year after year under Hitchcock the Blues approach these series trying to make sure they don't lose them rather than going out to F'n win them. That's what San Jose just did. They went out an Fucking won the series.

Now it'll be nothing but reading and hearing in the StL market about how this was still "a good year" and look at what they accomplished. Which was nothing. Nothing was accomplished. They lost. You play to win the fucking Cup...not make ti out of the first round or whatever BS I'm going to have to listen to...the F'n cliches' that are about to hit the fan.

The only positive thing that came out of tonight is that I won't have to hear another Fucking word come out of any of those atrocious announcers that NBC has. Wholy Sh%t....I mean disguise your favoritism a tad would you? Please. Series after series they churned the butter of the Blues opponent....it was near comical by the end.

The only person in St. Louis happy tonight is my wife....because now I have to resume "normal" parenting duty.   

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1065 on: May 25, 2016, 10:15:40 PM »
Well fuck me, they finally did it. Wonder if they sacrificed the Warriors to finally end the choking curse  :neverusethis:

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1066 on: May 26, 2016, 05:19:25 AM »
I was really pulling for St. Louis in this series but I'm still happy for San Jose… if Tampa loses tonight then I'll definitely be going for San Jose.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1067 on: May 26, 2016, 05:47:21 AM »
They're not going to fire Hitchcock. He got them farther than any other coach in recent memory. They'll be going thru enough turnover with Backes and Brouwer maybe not turning, they'll probably want to keep consistency at coach.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: May 26, 2016, 05:56:20 AM »
They're not going to fire Hitchcock. He got them farther than any other coach in recent memory. They'll be going thru enough turnover with Backes and Brouwer maybe not turning, they'll probably want to keep consistency at coach.

This would be horrible. Especially due to the rift between he and Tarasenko. Hitchcocks vision or whatever doesn't work. There's no way you should not have your team ready to play, and they weren't ready to play in games 2,3 and 6.

he needs to go.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #1069 on: May 26, 2016, 06:11:49 AM »
I don't think he's going to go.  He was brought back on a one year, show-me-what-you-got deal, and he showed he can get them over the hump.  It's up to the players to perform, the coach cannot shout at Tarasenko to the point that he starts scoring.  I predict they'll re-sign Hitch on a 2- or 3-year deal.
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: May 26, 2016, 06:26:44 AM »
I don't think he's going to go.  He was brought back on a one year, show-me-what-you-got deal, and he showed he can get them over the hump.  It's up to the players to perform, the coach cannot shout at Tarasenko to the point that he starts scoring.  I predict they'll re-sign Hitch on a 2- or 3-year deal.

Getting over the hump counts for nothing IMO. There should have never been a hump. His approach doesn't work. Time for a fresh new coach, I'm thinking Kirk Muller the assistant. He'd know enough of what works and bring a different take.

Re-signing Hitch is essentially putting us in this same spot a year from now. Close but no cigar.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1071 on: May 26, 2016, 06:59:49 AM »
You're looking at it from the point of a view of a fan who is in the heat of losing in the playoffs. You feel pissed off and angered at how you think the coach handled a loss. But the management is not likely going to feel that way. They will look at overall performance and see how far they got and how well they played to get there and do an assessment. I am not overly familiar with his contract, but if Hitchcock still has time on it, I would be very surprised if he is cut loose. There is a lot of talk amongst people that I've seen (take it for what it is, nothing is certain til it's official) that both Backes and Brouwer will not be with St. Louis next year. But everything is speculation.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #1072 on: May 26, 2016, 07:21:08 AM »
Hitch has been an incredibly successful coach here.  We have lost early in the playoffs to some great teams, several of whom went on to win the Stanley Cup, and this year went on a deep playoff run.  We are there every year.  You don't throw that away just because the team slightly underperformed against a team that was superior to them.
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1073 on: May 26, 2016, 07:22:31 AM »
And of course with all my going on about it, there is never a guarantee that anyone will be anywhere in the coming offseason. Each team has to trust in its management to make the decisions that are best. That said, Hitch has been a consistently effective coach, and is probably one of the most even-tempered bench bosses I've seen. He'd be an asset almost anywhere, so my thought is the Blues will keep him.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: May 26, 2016, 07:40:31 AM »
You're looking at it from the point of a view of a fan who is in the heat of losing in the playoffs. You feel pissed off and angered at how you think the coach handled a loss. But the management is not likely going to feel that way. They will look at overall performance and see how far they got and how well they played to get there and do an assessment. I am not overly familiar with his contract, but if Hitchcock still has time on it, I would be very surprised if he is cut loose. There is a lot of talk amongst people that I've seen (take it for what it is, nothing is certain til it's official) that both Backes and Brouwer will not be with St. Louis next year. But everything is speculation.

He had a one year deal to get the job done. Not get us past the first round, or 2 wins shy of a chance at the cup. To win the cup. He didn't. Time to move on.

Hitch has been an incredibly successful coach here.  We have lost early in the playoffs to some great teams, several of whom went on to win the Stanley Cup, and this year went on a deep playoff run.  We are there every year.  You don't throw that away just because the team slightly underperformed against a team that was superior to them.

I don't see him as being successful. What have his teams accomplished? His inability to game plan to neutralize the line that killed the Blues this round and change up some tactics to disrupt the Sharks tactics against the Blues is what lost this round. Not the 'superior' Sharks. The Sharks and the Blues are essentially the exact same team when you get to the nuts and bolts of it. Their team wanted to win that series and worked their butts off to do so.....on all aspects not just the players. The Blues gift wrapped (2) victories for the Sharks and were without a coach that could adapt on the fly. If they re-sign Hitchcock it is a near 100% certainty that the Blues do not win the cup again next year because he does not have the ability to motivate a team to get ready to play nor combat another coaches strategies.

The Blues should try very hard to re-sign Brauer....if Backes stays he stays but his best playing days are behind him and he's one hit/shift away from never playing hockey again due to the concussions so as much as I love Backes I think it'd be unwise for the Blues to spend the $$ he's going to want on him.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #1075 on: May 26, 2016, 08:08:53 AM »
I think you're fooling yourself by thinking the Blues and Sharks are the exact same team.  The Sharks have more high-end talent that impose their will on a play or on a game as a whole more than anyone on the Blues.  The Blues do not have a Thornton or a Burns.  This slight deficit in upper-echelon skill was what made the difference in this series as the grinding mentality of the Blues was not sufficient to get through the skill level of the Sharks.  And that's not coaching either.
Throw them a rag
Whale!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: May 26, 2016, 08:27:55 AM »
I think you're fooling yourself by thinking the Blues and Sharks are the exact same team.  The Sharks have more high-end talent that impose their will on a play or on a game as a whole more than anyone on the Blues.  The Blues do not have a Thornton or a Burns.  This slight deficit in upper-echelon skill was what made the difference in this series as the grinding mentality of the Blues was not sufficient to get through the skill level of the Sharks.  And that's not coaching either.

The Blues could have beaten them in a seven game series but they played like a$$. Some of that has to with our players not performing and some of it has to do with coaching. I think Hitchcock was out coached....again. It wasn't the first time and won't be the last.

San Jose whipped the Blues in every aspect by doing the thing that the Blues do to whip opponents....but they did it better than the Blues. I don't think there's that big a gap between talent on the teams to write it all off as San Jose just has better players.

I think the Blues paid the price for not ending the two previous series early when they should have which is a typical trait of the Hitchcock Blues not having the 'killer' instinct. Instead of stepping on the throats of opponents and crushing them they'd rather beat them thumb wrestling. We need a coach that will have our team hunting for blood. Hitchcock has never been able to do that for whatever reason. We always have the team trying not to lose the game rather than seeking to destroy. The Sharks just played 5 games of seek and destroy and did just that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1077 on: May 26, 2016, 08:31:34 AM »
I don't think Hitch is going anywhere. The team did make progress this year, and changing coaches when you're on the verge is dangerous, since you'd have no way of knowing who you're getting. Proven coaches don't exactly grow on trees. I get the frustration, but I think a few more tweaks to the roster - shoring up on defense so we don't commit so many turnovers in our own zone is key - is the way to go. I definitely want Brouwer back. I'd be okay with say goodbye to Shattenkirk and Boumeister. Backes returning depends on how much money he wants.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1078 on: May 26, 2016, 08:53:56 AM »
I can't believe they actually did it.  I've been a fan since day one in high school, so this is amazing!

Btw, the west has won the last four cups.  Westside is the best side!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1079 on: May 26, 2016, 08:54:23 AM »
I don't think Hitch is going anywhere. The team did make progress this year, and changing coaches when you're on the verge is dangerous, since you'd have no way of knowing who you're getting. Proven coaches don't exactly grow on trees.

Hitch may resonate with veterans but he doesn't with the 'younger' players. And we have a slew of younger players that are going to carry this team now....of which Kirk Muller has been very close with the past few years. I think you give him the spot...he knows the ins and outs of the system we've been running but will obviously have a different motivational approach. I understand that Hitch is proven and has a good track record and all that but enough is enough....I don't count getting out of the first round and playing into the third round as some massive success. I see it as things that we SHOULD have done already but choked at doing. 

I'd be okay with say goodbye to Shattenkirk and Boumeister.

This should be massive priorities. Moving Shattenkirk will be easy, I don't think anyone will touch Boumeister with a 10 foot pole. Eating minutes isn't enough...those minutes have to be successful and he and Shattenkirk were turn over machines in the playoffs.

Backes returning depends on how much money he wants.

It'd be nice to see him stay but I think he's gonna want 6 or 7 million a year and that won't happen here. Unless he just decides to give a home town discount given that he has all his charities established here and is so involved in the community.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1080 on: May 26, 2016, 10:06:30 AM »
I don't think Hitch is going anywhere. The team did make progress this year, and changing coaches when you're on the verge is dangerous, since you'd have no way of knowing who you're getting. Proven coaches don't exactly grow on trees.

The Pens changed from Therrien to Bylsma after making the cup final in '08, and that resulted in a cup win for the Pens. I agree with you that Hitch is probably safe (and he's a really good coach...and he's from my hometown here in Edmonton ;D), but it wouldn't surprise me if they made a change just for change's sake.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: May 26, 2016, 10:14:20 AM »
but it wouldn't surprise me if they made a change just for change's sake.

that's not why they need the change. They need the change because Hitch's approach doesn't work. He's had ample time to make it work. This post season was THE post season for his Blues team to win it all. After beating Chicago and Dallas.....there really was no excuse to lose to the Sharks. Not to take away from their play but the Blues were more than capable to beat them in a best of 7. The lack of killer instinct in his team cost them dearly by not putting Chicago and Dallas away on the first game we could have. That'd have given us the rest needed to battle and play at full potential.

Then, not having your team ready to play in the opening (3) games.....really? Sure they won game 1 but that was strictly due to Elliot stealing the game. Hitch's game plan sucked and him motivating his team sucked....which has been a problem before.

His time is up. Move on...thanks buddy. I don't see any issues with the talent the Blues have for them to return to the playoffs again next season. They need to find a coach that can instill a mindset in that team that they are going to destroy teams when they play them because they have the players to destroy teams...they've shown it plenty.

He was given a year contract for a reason....win it this year or else. Well...it's or else. Have your office cleaned out by Sunday. thanks.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1082 on: May 26, 2016, 10:44:14 AM »

that's not why they need the change. They need the change because Hitch's approach doesn't work. He's had ample time to make it work. This post season was THE post season for his Blues team to win it all. After beating Chicago and Dallas.....there really was no excuse to lose to the Sharks. Not to take away from their play but the Blues were more than capable to beat them in a best of 7. The lack of killer instinct in his team cost them dearly by not putting Chicago and Dallas away on the first game we could have. That'd have given us the rest needed to battle and play at full potential.

Then, not having your team ready to play in the opening (3) games.....really? Sure they won game 1 but that was strictly due to Elliot stealing the game. Hitch's game plan sucked and him motivating his team sucked....which has been a problem before.

His time is up. Move on...thanks buddy. I don't see any issues with the talent the Blues have for them to return to the playoffs again next season. They need to find a coach that can instill a mindset in that team that they are going to destroy teams when they play them because they have the players to destroy teams...they've shown it plenty.

He was given a year contract for a reason....win it this year or else. Well...it's or else. Have your office cleaned out by Sunday. thanks.

His coaching system clearly works though. The Blues were a top western team in the regular season, and they beat 2 other top contenders to make it to the conference final. The lack of 'killer instinct' needs to come from the players. I may be wrong, but I don't think a coach can instill that in the players if they don't already have it.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: May 26, 2016, 11:08:35 AM »

His coaching system clearly works though. The Blues were a top western team in the regular season, and they beat 2 other top contenders to make it to the conference final. The lack of 'killer instinct' needs to come from the players. I may be wrong, but I don't think a coach can instill that in the players if they don't already have it.

The Kings stick out to me. Their coach has had a lot to do with their identity as a team. there needs to be changes. you can't blow up the team and start over from scratch so the next solution is a change in the coach. It happens all the time. the Blues are very talented and will continue to be so no matter who is making the calls.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1084 on: May 26, 2016, 11:16:34 AM »
I get that Hitchcock is a top of the line coach. I get I should be 'happy' about even having a team that's pretty consistent in making the playoffs. But, Hitch's window to win is over. We have a massive amount of young talent that is going to lead the way heading forward and it's ripe for a change of pace. If he re-signs I have zero doubt that this time next season I'll be talking about the same exact thing....that we came 'so close'.....