Author Topic: Who solos more on Six Degrees (Album)? JP or JR?  (Read 903 times)

Offline Darkstarshades

Who solos more on Six Degrees (Album)? JP or JR?
« on: June 26, 2015, 10:38:05 PM »
Sooo I had NOTHING to do and decided to do a simple trivia just like the one we did for the albums where James sings the less aaand... Found out this.
(This list is not intensive and I did it merely for fun and nothingtodoness, it is revised, however. Still, some of you may get one second of difference and others a few other, but it should be very close)

Soo... 6DOIT is, for me, the peak of DT's technical and melodic job, with awesome melodies and... Ever since I made the post (which was pretty trolled  :-\), someone asked what is the album with the most JP solos... Soo I decided to lend my small grain to this and calculated JR and JP solo time during 6DOIT.

Keep in mind that (for me), in order for it to be a solo, the instrumentalist has to make a lead sound, or to outstand among the other instruments playing something notorious/difficult. Song intros do not count, for which reason I have counted About to Crash intro (since I count it as the whole song), yet I didn't count Disappear intro and Misunderstood.
I DID COUNT UNISONS, such as the Blind Faith one and the small TGD one.

The entire 6DOIT album lasts around 5781 seconds, which is, 1:36:21, longest DT album.
Soo let's give it a try.

In the Glass Prison
Petrucci "soloes" for around 80 seconds
Rudess soloes for 50 seconds.
In Blind Faith, the situation is reversed, as Rudess largely outsolos Petrucci.
Petrucci: 57 seconds
Rudess: 111 seconds (22 of these is my fav solo on 6DOIT, which is the piano one. As for the others, I consider that since the organ begins, the solo begins. I wonder why Petrucci didn't add a solo on that part)
Misunderstood
This one is a special case, as it only has one "real" solo, which is Petrucci's reverse solo and lasts around 29 seconds. Now, for the ending, I don't consider it to be any kind of a solo... I don't know what the hell that is... But... I didn't count it.
The Great Debate
Petrucci: 47 seconds
Rudess: 56 seconds
(See below for thoughts on this one, since this song is very unique in DT)
Disappear has no solos

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
About to Crash: Petrucci has a 75 second solo. Rudess's "solo" intro lasts 21 seconds (before Portnoy kicks in)
Test That Stumped Them All: I didn't count the unison since I actually think that's a riff, rather than actual solo. Anyway, both Petrucci and Rudess got 21 seconds of solo each
NOTE: The ending part might generate a little controversy, but at least for me, I think I'll pass, since it's pretty much the same, except that this time around there is no unison.
Goodnight Kiss: Petrucci's king of solos. Roughly 184 seconds.
Solitary Shell: Another Petrucci solo (Album version only, in live performances, this solo is cut 2/3 and is filled with a JR piano): 29 seconds.
Reprise: JR solo, 9 seconds.

Things to consider...
At the Great Debate, right after JP's solo, there is a section which many people seem to think it's an unison, and after this, is the last unison before returning to the main riff. I'm sure it's entirely a keyboard solo, but in case you think it's not, it simply boosts JP's timer to 68 seconds.
Before the second verse in Goodnight Kiss, JR does a piano passage which I tend to compare to On The Backs of Angels section, yet, I'm uncertain about it. I'd rather not count it this time, anyway, this lasts 23 secs.

IN TOTAL

JOHN PETRUCCI: 543 seconds  (9.39% of album time). 563 seconds if you count Overture  (9.73%)(
JORDAN RUDESS: 268 seconds (4.63% of album time)

Soooo... Thoughts? Shares? Feel free.

Due to popular demand, stuff has been updated to add the Overture Petrucci "solo" (which doesn't sound that much of a solo buuut ok)

Tl:dr:  :chill
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 12:16:39 PM by Darkstarshades »
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Cable

Re: Who solos more on Six Degrees (Album)? JP or JR?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 11:23:55 PM »
Wow, thanks for the analysis!  :tup

This is actually kind of eye opening. While I think in the context of most rock songs (them being shorter than prog), the solos also may take up closer to 10% of the song too.

But seeing the number of JP being close to 10% really hammers home the idea that the band does play a lot instrumentally. Which is good IMO!
---

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 01:22:48 AM »
Wow, thanks for the analysis!  :tup

This is actually kind of eye opening. While I think in the context of most rock songs (them being shorter than prog), the solos also may take up closer to 10% of the song too.

But seeing the number of JP being close to 10% really hammers home the idea that the band does play a lot instrumentally. Which is good IMO!

Hey! Thanks for your thoughts. No problem, 'been having plenty of time in my hands.

Anyway. Yeah, during my 6DOIT check, I discovered just how many guitar solos Petrucci has, and how many of them are actually longer than Jordan's. Petrucci's soloing throughout the title track covers around 12.25% of the song! , and keep in mind that this is just Petrucci soloing, no unisons!
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 08:59:55 AM »
Wait, why do song intros not count?  The 6DOIT Overture has some soloing in there, and to not count it just because it is technically the song's intro seems, well, odd. 

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 10:01:25 AM »
Wait, why do song intros not count?  The 6DOIT Overture has some soloing in there, and to not count it just because it is technically the song's intro seems, well, odd.
1.- Because it's pretty much made as a classical piece of music, it works differently and flows differently as well.
2.- They haven't played it live on their own (I think Rudess made a cover of it on a solo show, but that's another story). The orchestra did, on the other shows, it was a tape.
3.- We could count Petrucci's nice passages towards the end, but again, I just feel the Overture is something very different from the rest of the piece.

However, this also depends on your point of view (You know, I'm actually tempted to calculate Black Clouds & Silver Linings, however, TBOT has not been played live, yet not counting it would be a crime!)

The reason I didn't count it was because it is very different from the rest, not because it's an intro.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:09:01 AM by Darkstarshades »
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 11:36:24 AM »
Idk why but 111 seconds of soloing seems like a lot of soloing in Blind Faith.

Like I believe it but it still looks like a lot.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 11:49:01 AM »
Idk why but 111 seconds of soloing seems like a lot of soloing in Blind Faith.

Like I believe it but it still looks like a lot.

Rudess messes around with the organ for quite a while before dropping in yet another lead, then it flows into what's probably DT's best unison ever. So yeah, it's indeed a lot.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 11:57:14 AM »
1.- Because it's pretty much made as a classical piece of music, it works differently and flows differently as well.
2.- They haven't played it live on their own (I think Rudess made a cover of it on a solo show, but that's another story). The orchestra did, on the other shows, it was a tape.
3.- We could count Petrucci's nice passages towards the end, but again, I just feel the Overture is something very different from the rest of the piece.

However, this also depends on your point of view (You know, I'm actually tempted to calculate Black Clouds & Silver Linings, however, TBOT has not been played live, yet not counting it would be a crime!)

The reason I didn't count it was because it is very different from the rest, not because it's an intro.

Why does it matter if it was played live by the band or not, or that it's different?  I thought it was about who solos more on the record, not what songs have the most solos played live and then arbitrarily leaving out certain parts of songs.  ???

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 12:01:25 PM »
Why does it matter if it was played live by the band or not, or that it's different?  I thought it was about who solos more on the record, not what songs have the most solos played live and then arbitrarily leaving out certain parts of songs.  ???

As I said it's thoughts on how it feels.
You want to add solos on Overture? Fine, find one, first.
Oh wait, the orchestration was recorded entirely with keyboards.
So that's JR's number skyrocketing by around 5 mins.
John Petrucci's section at the 5 min mark is around 20 seconds, add that if you please.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 12:09:11 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 12:10:58 PM »
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 12:13:17 PM »

As I said it's thoughts on how it feels.
You want to add solos on Overture? Fine, find one, first.
Oh wait, the orchestration was recorded entirely with keyboards.
So that's JR's number skyrocketing by around 5 mins.
John Petrucci's section at the 5 min mark is around 20 seconds, add that if you please.

:facepalm:

What is the point of calculating who solos more on a record if you are gonna ignore certain solos.  A solo is a solo, regardless of where it is in the freaking song.  Jesus.  :lol :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 12:13:32 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 12:17:28 PM »
There you go, added Overture.
Sweet christ...
And Hef, I know xD, early summer vacations get really boring and there's not that much to do haha.
Jatruccyundessgini