Author Topic: 2015-07-03 Darkside Festival (Moscow, Russia) ROLL CALL & REVIEW  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
Tickets Available At : https://redkassa.ru/events/79871-bilety_koncert_dream_theater/

Are you going?

Were you there?

Share your concert review and experience with other fans and the band!
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2015-07-03 Darkside Festival (Moscow, Russia) ROLL CALL & REVIEW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 08:38:55 AM »
Tomorrow's the day!

I'll obviously be there and will update you guys live if there are some miraculous changes in the setlist, however unlikely it is. If there aren't any, I'll write up my thoughts on the show when I'm home.

Here's the festival schedule:

17:00 - Doors open
18:00 - Oblivion Machine (This is some Russian band I've never heard of. I bet it's a crappy one, probably will need some beer to endure that.)
19:20 - Moonspell (Portuguese gothic / power metal band. I've listened and reviewed their latest album, it was kind of good actually. Not the worst choice.)
21:10 - Dream Theater

I guess DT will get their usual 1.5 hours. Not going to go for the front row this time, will probably stay somewhere around the bar.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 11:51:50 AM »
Moonspell finished their performamce. DT coming up in 30 minutes.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 01:19:22 PM »
Enjoy the show :)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 02:06:02 AM »
Well, the show was enjoyable, but not as great as their previous one here in 2014 on AFTR tour.

I'll start from the downsides of the show. Two biggest problems with yesterday's show were:

1) the sound quality
2) setlist

What can I say, the sound quality was kind of poor. I could barely make out JLB in the mix during Afterlife and the first half of Metropolis. It got better after the instrumental part, but it was still underwhelming. My friend who is a casual fan and doesn't know some songs by heart said he often couldn't make the vocal melodies out of the mix. Not the case for me, because it's obviously much easier to hear what JLB is singing when you know what he's going to sing, but still, that was a downside.

While the choice to include one song from each album is fine, and structuring the setlist chronologically was an interesting idea, the flow and pace really suffered from it. Three balls to the wall metal songs in a row was exhausting, and if As I Am and Panic Attack were well received by the crowd, it seemed to me Constant Motion fell flat. Wither and Bridges in the Sky sequence worked for the main set closer well enough, but Behind the Veil didn't work for the encore at all. I mean, I enjoyed the song, it was great to hear it being played live, and it's a treat to the fans alright, but a lot of people just stood there, not knowing the song.

On the other hand, Afterlife is a great opener indeed. I'm not a big fan of WDADU, but the song worked live very well. Same goes for Burning My Soul, this tune was killer. I think the selection of songs themselves was fitting for the festival, with some fan favourites and some rarely played songs, but the order of playing probably should've been changed, like, say, Metropolis for the encore was an obvious option. I mean, yeah, it's probably been done more than a hundred times now, but the crowd will actually know the song and participate in the fun and whatnot.

The highlights for me were Metropolis (we got it as a part of medley in 2009, and LtL was an encore in 2011, so it was nice to finally hear it live in full even with a not-so-great sound), Burning My Soul, TSCO (even though it's overplayed to death, and I've heard it live in 2009), Panic Attack (again, heard it in 2009 but this track is a fabulous thing live), Bridges in the Sky (we haven't got a proper ADTOE tour show in Russia, 2011 tour happened before the album was released, so this was a first time).

There were two huge screens on the sides which, as usual, featured some visuals and some close-up videos on musicians, helping people in the back to see MM making funny faces while playing and this kind of stuff. JLB didn't talk a lot, said once again the album is going to come up in early 2016 and they'll return to Russia with the tour for it. He also said that we raaaawk. :angel: Also there was some issue with a mic somewhere during first two songs (unfortunately I didn't notice that, so I don't know what exactly happened), and the first thing he said after Metropolis was something along the lines "This microphone thing? I totally did it on purpose". I'll need to rewatch the videos when they'll appear on YouTube to see what this was all about.

So, as I said, good show, but DT has such a huge repertoire, it's tough to come up with a great set for the festival. The evening with type of shows is where they truly shine, so I'm eagerly waiting for the next album now, and hope they'll keep on their promise and will return here promoting it next year.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to add one thing. The crowd seemed pretty small, compared with the huge one in 2014.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 02:30:49 AM by Evermind »

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 06:18:18 AM »
The mic just fell down in the very beginning of the song.
As for volumes, yeah it probably isn't as high as it should be, but it's very far from being inaudible.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bA8BkXycseM

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 06:23:55 AM »
I'm just saying what I've heard from the place I was standing on.

Oh damn, I was distracted during the very beginning of Afterlife and missed that mic thing. Hilarious. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 09:33:22 AM »
Regarding the sound, I saw DT twice last spring in the span of five days.  The Chicago show on Saturday was absolutely perfect volume, while the KC show five days later was ear-splitting loud, literally to where no matter you were in the venue, it didn't sound good, which kinda ruined that show for me.  Hard to enjoy a show when it's so freaking loud that it sounds like distorted noise.  So yeah, DT has become one of those "you never know what you are going to get in regards to sound" bands, unfortunately.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 07:58:00 PM »
Dream Theater - Live In Moscow 2015 (Full Concert)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ZYxUeKsu8

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 04:19:02 AM »
That was hilarious what happened at the beginning.  :lol

I just realized how short this show actually is, but it's still certainly worth the money. It was great catching two shows during the an evening with tour last year, I guess they'll be doing two and a half to three hours next years as well, but it will be nice to attend a shorter concert this time around, especially considering the way they constructed it and having so many heavier, energetic songs in the set.