Author Topic: Mr. Robot  (Read 46668 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Mr. Robot
« on: June 25, 2015, 08:08:29 PM »
This is a must see new drama.  I have seen a first episode and is that good.

It's about a cyber security employee who is a hacker at night who's being wowed by an underground group bent on bringing down the big machine.

Great dialogue and a great storyline. I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 08:31:08 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Mr. Robot
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 08:11:44 PM »
I've got this DVR'd and am gonna watch it tonight I hope. Looks great!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 11:38:16 AM »
Wow! That was a pretty killer episode to open the series with. this has such potential. I love the internal narration from the main character and how 'strange' he is. I already want the next episode!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:07:01 PM »
Yes!  I didn't want to say anything about the internal narrative.  He's in the middle of a shit storm now and I can't wait to see how this all plays out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 03:01:29 PM »
I loved that scene in his therapy appointment where she asked him why 'F' society....and he railed off on society with great points and detail....then boom...pan back to him and it was just a conversation in his head and he had been quiet all along.  :lol I can't tell you how many times I've found myself doing that at social gatherings or meetings. Not saying what I really want to say just to maintain the kum-ba-ya atmosphere of the whole thing.

I also liked that although this is a 'tech' type show....I know absolutely zip about the tech world but I didn't feel lost when the whole 'attack' was going down. Again, I'm excited about the show. I hope the writing stays as good as it was for episode one.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 07:50:36 AM »
Saw that coming that ol' boy was gonna get pushed off that rail. I thought it was another solid episode...very interesting idea. Not sure who the folks are who hacked into his friends..boyfriends CPU though? Or why they would?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 07:55:35 PM »
Rival hacker with an obsession or works for Mr. Robot?  Crazy stuff,  The Paranoia feels so real.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 12:25:19 PM »
Another cool episode. It looks like just as his boss is on to him for embedding that code he's gonna jump ship anyway and hop full onboard F Society.

And, I'll do what I have to for work but Ol' boy CEO Man is taking it a bit too far IMO  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 03:32:05 PM »
What a fucked up relationship everybody has. Everybody is out of control and vulnerable like pawns on a chess board.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »
I'm beginning to think that Christian Slaters "character" is actually fictitious....or in other words....we have a Fight Club type thing going on where that dude is actually Mr. Robot and Christian Slaters character is just a different personality of his.

His character only interacts with that guy....and the others never speak directly to Christian Slaters character?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 09:33:03 PM »
I'm beginning to think that Christian Slaters "character" is actually fictitious....or in other words....we have a Fight Club type thing going on where that dude is actually Mr. Robot and Christian Slaters character is just a different personality of his.

His character only interacts with that guy....and the others never speak directly to Christian Slaters character?

After the last episode I'm doubling down on this theory

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 01:47:17 PM »

After the last episode I'm doubling down on this theory
Yeah I was thinking that from the end of the first episode I think.

This show is so good so far.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 02:08:25 PM »
This show is so good so far.

It really is done well. I like that they haven't alienated the part of their audience that isn't 'tech' or computer minded with their writing. Not knowing anything abou the 'hacking' world or computer programming in general....I like that I am still 100% in the know of what's going on. That's tricky to do because judging from some of the dialogue they still incorporate 'tech' conversation and talk into the show for those out there that can understand that stuff.

On top of the fact that the actors/actresses are doing a good job also....very neat characters going on. I hope this show has a few seasons to really develop them.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 04:39:26 PM »
Ok, that last episode was way out there and what a trip him coming of the drugs were.  He is so important to Slater's character that he's willing to deal with all the crap that's going on with this kid.  Very interesting to say the least.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 06:48:10 AM »
I watched the first 3 episodes last night. Mind = Blown
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 07:14:04 AM »
He is so important to Slater's character that he's willing to deal with all the crap that's going on with this kid. 

So I guess you're thinking Slaters character is a 'real' person? I'm heavily leaning toward Slaters character being a figment of his imagination....alternate personality.

I think the show has gotten better with each episode. There are some very neat things going on.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 07:15:52 AM »

It's so damn fresh this show.  So many damn twists to.  I love the narrative from the lead character.

That's an interesting idea about Slater's character.  Mnnnn.......

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 08:11:15 AM »
It's not desperately original (Fight Club being the obvious comparison, in a number of ways), but if indeed that is what's happening, then it's very nicely done. Mr Robot does show up at very opportune times. You also never see him and Elliot both interacting with other characters at the same time - if one is talking to people then the other is either silent or not there. He also doesn't have a name, he's just Mr Robot.

I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 10:27:11 AM »
It's not desperately original (Fight Club being the obvious comparison, in a number of ways), but if indeed that is what's happening, then it's very nicely done. Mr Robot does show up at very opportune times. You also never see him and Elliot both interacting with other characters at the same time - if one is talking to people then the other is either silent or not there. He also doesn't have a name, he's just Mr Robot.

This is the largest evidence. They've yet to interact with the others at the same time. The way they 'take turns' interacting is handled very carefully. Like you said, not original but it's being done well.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 12:58:11 PM »
I haven't read too many of the comments yet but I'm definitely going to follow the thread and start watching sometime in the next few days; definitely was interested and now that interest is piqued thanks to the first few comments. Good stuff, I can't wait to begin!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 11:02:19 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Mr. Robot is not real though if it is the case, it will probably ruin something in the future.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 07:12:26 AM »
Wow...I did not expect that Exec to kill that chic! I don't even think he expected to do that. For a while I thought that maybe he was this 'White Rabbit" guy but I can't believe that someone so elusive and revered would be dumb enough to spontaneously kill someone.

Given that I think Elliot and Mr. Robot are the same person...the scenes that Mr. Robot shared alone this week were interesting. I still think they are one in the same....

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 01:31:13 PM »
Wow...I did not expect that Exec to kill that chic! I don't even think he expected to do that. For a while I thought that maybe he was this 'White Rose" guy but I can't believe that someone so elusive and revered would be dumb enough to spontaneously kill someone.
Fixed, but yeah he definitely seemed shocked and panicked by his own actions. Especially because, as he clearly realised, his saliva was all over her mouth.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 08:50:15 AM »
Wow...I did not expect that Exec to kill that chic! I don't even think he expected to do that. For a while I thought that maybe he was this 'White Rose" guy but I can't believe that someone so elusive and revered would be dumb enough to spontaneously kill someone.
Fixed, but yeah he definitely seemed shocked and panicked by his own actions. Especially because, as he clearly realised, his saliva was all over her mouth.

He forgot about the fingerprints.... But yeah, that was very strange. The guy is losing control pretty fast and so far I don't see how he fits in the bigger picture.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 09:44:37 AM »
He forgot about the fingerprints.... But yeah, that was very strange. The guy is losing control pretty fast and so far I don't see how he fits in the bigger picture.

for someone set up to be so 'in control' and almost sinister, he definitely doesn't have his  :censored together! I too am curious as to where he plays out in this. Maybe he will eventually be the 'in' that Elliot (Mr. Robot) needs to take down Evil Corp. That dude gets fired or overlooked for the top spots and decides to get revenge.....which would be ironic because that's what he made fun of Elliot for, being motivated by something as simple as revenge.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 09:36:24 PM »
Man this show is so good! Loved the 'twist' in the last episode of Elliot's sisters reveal. I was asking myself earlier in the show when those two were at the ballet class "When did they get so chummy? I don't recall them ever speaking to one another?"  Then, when she said "Did you forget who I am again?"  It was clear she was going to say "your sister"

And Mr. Robot being his Dad? I'm still not convinced Mr. Robot is really there. I'm still clinging to the "he's a figment of Elliot's imagination"

Such a good show.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 01:06:46 AM »
Yeah that was a fantastic episode! Plenty of things that make you think "wait, what?" like the ballet class and Mr Robot in the car with Tyrell, and then some terrific reveals.

It seems Mr Robot definitely is/what their father, but whether he's actually there or not is another question.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 07:21:33 AM »
We've seen Mr. Robot interact with the bartender when ordering the appletini, with Tyrell when Elliot isn't present, and the black dude when he's growing weed. I think it's pretty clear that he IS really there. But, was this the whole plan from day one? Did he fake his own death? If he's capable of FSociety, then he's probably capable of faking his own death. Did Darlene know their dad wasn't dead this whole time? It seems like it had much influence on Elliot's development as a human, and is kinda f'd up if she knew the whole time. Is Angela's mother really dead?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 09:28:05 AM »
We've seen Mr. Robot interact with the bartender when ordering the appletini, with Tyrell when Elliot isn't present, and the black dude when he's growing weed. I think it's pretty clear that he IS really there.
Well, actually no it's not. Quite the opposite in fact. He and Elliot never really interact with any other character at the same time, suggesting a Fight Club esque split personality. Could still be the case, of course.

I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 09:55:07 AM »
We've seen Mr. Robot interact with the bartender when ordering the appletini, with Tyrell when Elliot isn't present, and the black dude when he's growing weed. I think it's pretty clear that he IS really there.
Well, actually no it's not. Quite the opposite in fact. He and Elliot never really interact with any other character at the same time, suggesting a Fight Club esque split personality. Could still be the case, of course.

This. He has interacted with people but it's never at the same time as Elliot. It's always been one or the other speaking. When one is done speaking (when in a group of people) that character fades to the background and the other then talks. they're never side by side talking to the group. I think Mr. Robot is just Elliots imagination....

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2015, 01:00:52 PM »
So how does that explain Mr. Robots interaction independently without Elliot there? Is that supposed to actually be Elliot in those scenes, but he sees himself as Mr. Robot, so that's who we see?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 01:32:29 PM »
So how does that explain Mr. Robots interaction independently without Elliot there? Is that supposed to actually be Elliot in those scenes, but he sees himself as Mr. Robot, so that's who we see?

I think it's that. When it's just Mr. Robot....it's actually Elliot engaging that 'personality' because generally when it's just Mr. Robot in a scene with someone he's being agressive, demanding and pretty much owning someone in that moment. Elliot can't do that....Mr. Robot can.

It may turn out that Mr. Robot is real and is actually Elliots Dad who didn't die....but that wouldn't explain why his sister would just hide that fact from him like that?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 01:57:09 PM »
It may turn out that Mr. Robot is real and is actually Elliots Dad who didn't die....but that wouldn't explain why his sister would just hide that fact from him like that?
By that logic, she was "hiding" the fact that she's his sister as well. She wouldn't have been hiding anything, but she would have assumed he knew.

I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 02:11:13 PM »
By that logic, she was "hiding" the fact that she's his sister as well. She wouldn't have been hiding anything, but she would have assumed he knew.

Which makes me believe Mr. Robot is imagined even more because she knows why Elliot is set on destroying Evil Corp.....because they killed his Dad. I mean, there has been multiple occasions where (if she assumed Elliot knew his Dad was there) where she'd have called on him to help her in an argument or whatever. But as we've talked about....Mr. Robot and Elliot are never involved at the same time in any conversation.....ever. Even when it 'appears' they are in the same room.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 02:18:01 PM »
Holy shit we caught up last night.  Yeah, when you see Mr. Robot talking with others, it's really Elliot, ready to take down the "Big man".  When he's off his meds, he's trying to kiss his sister.  Crazy far out stuff.  Great writing and acting so far.