Author Topic: DT Album with most and least James LaBrie  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Darkstarshades

DT Album with most and least James LaBrie
« on: June 25, 2015, 07:56:47 PM »
That's it, what's the DT Album where James shines the most/appears the most and what's the album where he appears the least?

Also, what are your thoughts on that?
Are you happy with his little absence or too much presence? Should they do that more often?

Personally, I think the album with the least JLB is Train of Thought.
And the album with the most James is probably Octavarium.

I do consider that James had too little time on ToT, there are very large sections without him (This Dying soul being surrounded by 2-3 minutes of instrumental on each side, Honor Thy Father having a very large chunk of instrumental in the middle and Endless Sacrifice having an even larger section and SoC being the longest instrumental).

And Octavarium... Well, lenghty lyrics, no instrumental pieces and at least two songs having no solos, as well as the epic... But I would also go with Systematic Chaos, idk.

My opinion is that even though he appears much more in Octavarium... I actually like his job in ToT much more (Vacant is so emotive and ITNOG the same, although the song Octavarium is better than these. I love Endless Sacrifice's voice parts but I'm usually bored by the instrumental part).
I think DT instrumentals are very repetitive, and don't really get anywhere, yet I listen to them from time to time. Yet James's vocals are sometimes incredibly awesome when having the proper melody.

Your thoughts?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Zyzzyva17

Re: DT Album with most and least James LaBrie
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 08:13:16 PM »
Mathematically speaking, the album with the lowest percentage of JLB is actually the self-titled. He is singing about 35 percent of the time. The album with the highest percentage of JLB is Falling into Infinity, which is about 51 percent singing.

I have done these calculations before. I did not do them all just now.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 08:18:17 PM »
Mathematically speaking, the album with the lowest percentage of JLB is actually the self-titled. He is singing about 35 percent of the time. The album with the highest percentage of JLB is Falling into Infinity, which is about 51 percent singing.

I love how someone was immediately able to give a definitive answer in the first response.
Only on DTF. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 08:19:15 PM »

While this might be true, James feels so much more "there" in the self-titled even though he's far less. Also let's keep in mind that the Self-Titled is the shortest DT album since I&W (At least 10 minutes less than every other album EXCEPT ToT).
But that's a percentage, right? Nice maths btw. Im amazed SC doesn't have more than "50%"
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »

Wasn't that far fetched, just calculated ToT and found out that James sings around 36% of the album.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 09:23:04 PM »
This is actually very interesting... I wonder which album has the most and least guitar solos now.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 09:30:35 PM »
This is actually very interesting... I wonder which album has the most and least guitar solos now.
I'd say Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
The Glass Prison has plenty of them and pretty awesome unisons (Do they count?)
Misunderstood has an awesome reverse one
Blind Faith also has a very nice couple of solos here and there.
The Title Track is infested with very long solos (With the Goodnight Kiss solo being probably the longest ever)

Idk, just a guess.

Edit: Now, before anyone says "But the Best of Times is longer! But TMOLS!" yeah, maybe, but these don't have an actual ending since it fades away so... that's actually something to debate.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »

I'd put a bet on ToT having the most soloing, given that it's unashamedly gratuitous. :metal I would have also figured that it had the least percentage of JLB, but apparently not.

It doesn't surprise me that FII has the highest percentage of JLB given that it's their most restrained album musically. I wouldn't call it JLB's best album vocally, but I think that it gives every member a chance to shine equally.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 08:19:08 AM »
Probably WDADU for least James LaBrie.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 08:26:32 AM »
Well, DT12 has a couple of extensive instrumental phases in IT and two instrumental tracks in EM and FAS.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 08:35:47 AM »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 08:37:57 AM »
WP sir.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 10:45:24 AM »
WINNER
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 10:57:32 AM »

gtfo
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 11:32:30 AM »

You just beat single-handedly these math nerds and their statistics. Well played, good man.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 12:47:13 PM »
It seems like a lot of the newer stuff doesn't have much singing. Just compare Illumination Theory to A Change of Seasons. The amount of lyrics in the new stuff is tiny.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 12:54:19 PM »
this was the post I was looking for

like i read the title immediately and thought "well wdadu has the least labrie, as well as the least rudess, sherinan, and mangini"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 12:56:43 PM »
this was the post I was looking for

like i read the title immediately and thought "well wdadu has the least labrie, as well as the least rudess, sherinan, and mangini"

Reason I clicked on the thread title, and reason I will probably now go elsewhere.  ;) 

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 09:08:46 PM »
It seems like a lot of the newer stuff doesn't have much singing. Just compare Illumination Theory to A Change of Seasons. The amount of lyrics in the new stuff is tiny.

Agree, although I love IT, I've always thought that they added lyrics simply because they had to. They couldn't have a 20 minute instrumental. The lyrics work well, and the melody flows pretty cool, but James rarely appears and you can't really say he does that much during the song. Unlike ACoS, which is a song I honestly consider difficult to learn and sing just because of how much it says.

Btw, for all the people requoting the WDADU post, that joke was expected and... was funny the first two or three times but I think there's no need to come and repost the same over and over just for the sake of doing it.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 09:10:39 PM »
WDaDU
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 08:55:06 AM »

That's really weird, he sounded so dominant in DT12. Though then again, that album has 2 instrumental songs plus one long segment.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 10:06:10 AM »

That's really weird, he sounded so dominant in DT12. Though then again, that album has 2 instrumental songs plus one long segment.

Yeah! Fairly unexpected, but when you think about it, IT covers almost 1/3 of the album, and a large portion of it has no LaBrie at all, so it can be understood.
Meanwhile, Labrie does sing a lot during This Dying Soul and, believe it or not, actually sings about the same time during Endless Sacrifice!

Post 69 ::)
Jatruccyundessgini