Author Topic: What do you love about your job?  (Read 2629 times)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Re: What do you love about your job?
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 11:43:48 AM »
- I walk out at 4:30 every day
- I haven't worked a weekend in two years
- I get five weeks of vacation per year (25 PTO days)
- Decent salary for a 30 year old
- Matching 401K
- Awesome health insurance
- Ability to work from home if I need to

FTFM
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 11:02:05 AM »
Yeah, I forgot about the ability to work from home, which I do on a regular basis for paperwork, etc. It's nice and allows me to avoid rush hour a lot of the time.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2015, 01:34:22 PM »
Yeah, I forgot about the ability to work from home, which I do on a regular basis for paperwork, etc. It's nice and allows me to avoid rush hour a lot of the time.

Working from home means being able to work in your underwear.

I so would.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2015, 02:10:53 PM »
Exactly :eyebrows:

The only disadvantage is if I suddenly get an urgent work call, I have to rush to get ready because I'm not at all prepared.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2015, 01:59:49 AM »
That every day - two hours goes by in what feels like 5 mins.

I've had jobs where the opposite was true.  :|

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2015, 12:32:47 PM »
Yeah, that's true. It could be stressful/busy but at least it flies by. Dragging days just SUCK. That was one thing I didn't like about retail. The busy times were great, but then on slow days you'd just stand there drooling at the cash register or doing the same "cleaning" over and over again.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2015, 01:37:46 PM »
For me I have days that are busy as fuck and go by in a blink of an eye...

And then I have busy as fuck days that drag on forever.

And then I have slow as shift days that drag on forever.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2015, 01:44:16 PM »
I can leave when I want since I'm the boss.  I'm meeting Chad Tuesday with the Queen in tow.  That's the cool part about my job.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2015, 02:29:28 PM »
One of our staff left early today because he wanted to watch TV instead of working :lol

Apparently he's done it before and the chef was *not* happy.

Probably gonna get fired.

It was crazy busy today sure - but it wasn't unbearable.

and no it wasn't me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2015, 02:56:48 PM »
I don't know that I ever get a chance to love anything about being an electrician in general.    In theory, everything I truly enjoy about being an electrician is not allowed because of time constraints.  (Being a bit OCD about my finished product, taking the time to make sure something is going to look perfect even when no one is going to see it, taking the time to think things through before bulldozing ahead and finding out I have to adjust my plans....you just can't do any of that stuff in construction and remain competitive)

But what I love about my *current* job is that it is 15 minutes from my house, and I'm working inside a relatively cool and shady concrete building when it's in the mid to upper 90's outside. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2015, 10:57:26 AM »
Anyone else have a job that gets them into the Playboy Mansion?

I'm going to be working this:

https://www.thevipconcierge.com/VIPEvents/135/Hugh-Hefner-Playboy-Mansion-Midsummer-Night-Dream-Party-VIP-Tickets.aspx

:zydar:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2015, 11:06:58 AM »
DON'T TAKE ZYDAR !!!!!!!!!!

OH I'VE DONE THIS ALREADY

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2015, 06:39:56 PM »
Among other things, the fact that I can take lunch pretty much whenever I want. 

I was on the 6:30-3:30 shift for the last six months, and I would always go to lunch around 12 or so, so I'd get back around 1 or so, and my afternoon was a breeze; 2 1/2 hours at the most!

Now I am back on the 8-5 shift (yay for a promotion), and I am trying my best to go to lunch not until close to 1, that way I get back later and still have a shorter afternoon.  I had to go to lunch at the same time as my trainer for several days, and she always goes at 11 (she is on the 6:30-3:30 schedule), and my afternoons were sooooo long. 

A long morning shift, lunch, and then a short afternoon shift is the way to go. :tup :tup

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2015, 12:10:58 AM »
I usually just eat in my car while driving from patient to patient  :lol

Really though, it's cool because I'll often take a "lunch break" to do something like run errands or dick around.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2015, 08:34:13 AM »
What's a "Lunch Break"?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2015, 09:05:02 AM »
Ol Ol Ol Ol

technically I don't really get one either - but if it goes quiet and we have ten minutes - we are allowed to grab some food and sit down.

But 5 hours is a short shift and it goes really quickly. I mostly don't take a break - or I eat something as I go.

:)

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2015, 09:18:49 AM »
We don't get luck breaks. We eat when we can during the shift. If it's slow... the entire shift is a break. If it's busy... well... you aren't eating.

I wouldn't know what to do with a break.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »
I've been there before in that situation, so I know what you mean.

I am fortunate now in that not only do I get a 1-hour lunch whenever I want to take it (so long as we aren't all gone at the same time, which never happens), but I am about 6 miles/12 minutes from home, so on days I don't do lunch with co-worker friends, I can drive home, eat lunch, still have time to kick back and relax for 15, and then drive back to work.  If nothing else, it gets me out of the office for an hour.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2015, 02:16:34 PM »
Among other things, the fact that I can take lunch pretty much whenever I want. 

Same here...and it is nice. I can meet up with friends, run errands....do whatever. Also, being a procurer of equipment there are a LOT of vendors that want me to buy things from them. So, on any given week in our office there are two, three...sometimes even four "Lunch and Learns" where these vendors will cater a lunch to get us all in the same room and listen to them pitch their product. So I often have the option of not spending any $$ on lunch if I can sit and listen for an hour.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2015, 09:00:07 AM »
The new school I'm going to, I won't have a planning period but it starts later and ends earlier than my previous school. I think that's worth it, and I get a half hour lunch as well.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2015, 09:26:20 AM »
I'm a programmer, so Benefit Number One is that my job requires me to sit at a computer.  I can sit and play around on the Internet all day if I so choose.  I have done so in the past.  As I type this, right now, I'm on a 1.5-hour web meeting which is required training.  That's happening on my other screen, and the presenter is blabbing away on my cell phone, since I'm sitting in my basement, in my pajamas, officially on the clock.  What a country!

Okay, that's kinda flippant, but it's pretty much the truth.  I'm salaried obviously, so basically if my work is getting done, they don't give a shit how many hours I put in on any given day.  Driven by a weird combination of laziness and a ruthless sense of efficiency, I've automated almost every process I'm responsible for.  Right now, in addition to getting credit for "being at work" and participating in the required training, one of my PCs at work is cranking away on my regular Wednesday processing.  I got up at 7:00, downloaded some data, and started the process.  Some time this afternoon, the jobs will be done, and I will have generated over 10 gigabytes of data, with a few clicks of the mouse over about ten minutes time.  Again, they don't care how much time it actually takes me, what matters is they look and see the shitloads of data that Bob produces, and isn't he fucking amazing?

Sure, there are days when I'm coding for ten or twelve hours straight.  But when that happens, it's usually because someone built a timeline that's basically impossible to meet, so the higher-ups actually pay some attention, and then when I come through, I'm a fucking hero.  Also, I've been doing this for over 20 years.  Even as I'm pulling code directly out of my ass and typing it in, it's structured, organized, and efficient.  Tomorrow there might be questions, or they might ask me to re-run certain pieces of it because that was test data before and now we have the production data.  Sure, a couple of mouse-clicks, I go get some lunch, and later I say "Here's that production data you wanted."  And it's all perfect and again I'm a hero.

What I love about my job is that I'm good at it, and everyone else seems think so, too.  I'm lazy as hell, but I've got them all fooled.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2015, 10:29:16 AM »
My job has great benefits:

Ridiculously good and cheap health insurance including dental and vision
Matching 401k
They stock us up with a macbook pro, samsung s5, bose noise cancelling headphones and a mifi
Free life insurance equivalent to 1 year of pay
Stock options (too many granted that I can't even afford them)
I am allowed to expense my tolls for my commute (over $200 a month for me)
I keep all my credit card rewards for my company expenses (over 25k a year I spend for work)
and a $60 monthly budget Im allowed to spend on snacks for myself at work (half of which usually ends up in my house).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2015, 10:42:19 AM »
Handing out ice cream sandwiches on hot muggy days.  They all smile.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »
Handing out ice cream sandwiches on hot muggy days.  They all smile.

You have ice cream sandwiches that smile?  Holy shit.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2015, 12:24:53 PM »
Yes when their in the employees mouths. :lol

Some had 2 and 3 of them.  Happy, happy.

Gatorade for the second shift tonight.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2015, 01:11:34 PM »

Offline Cable

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2015, 09:37:40 PM »
Just started in my position, so some of these are surface as I'm doing stock training;

-Pension plus 401k
-Pretty good health insurance, free vision and dental in one year
-Gift cards for wellness milestones
-Relatively insane amount of combined time off
-8 to 4, done, 40 hours a week. I love straight 8 shifts. May have the ability to do four 10s eventually.
-An office. A long term career goal that I hit sooner than I expected
-A fantastic boss who will turn into a mentor, as he has a doctorate in the subject area, so I can pick a bit of his brain when I go for a PhD
-Work group seems mostly very friendly, the ones that I have met
-Job security. Will be hard for my job to be retracted if cuts ever came, which is also unlikely due to the field and expanding population
-HUGE training funding if used at the right time, which is rare I feel in my field. It will allow me to attend a training conference that I thought would always be too pricey
-And a significant pay raise vs. my last job
---

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2015, 09:57:35 PM »
 :D :D :D :D  ICE CREAM PARTIES!!!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2015, 12:21:26 AM »
Currently I am in New Zealand travelling for the past 6 months, but before that I worked as a labourer/installer of housing exteriors (siding, soffit, fascia, that kinda stuff). The boss was my brothers friend, and he's a pot head with hardly any work ethic, same goes for his brother, and all of his staff besides myself are either potheads, borderline alcoholics, or both, so when I began I worked my ass off, and by the time I left for vacation (just over 2 years) I had basically become the foreman of the crew and had been for about a year, and was making nearly double what I did when I started.

The thing I loved about it are his flexibility (if I wanted to take an afternooon off to golf I could, and would always more than make up for it), the feeling of seeing a finished product, the ability to work on my own with headphones and zone out, working outdoors in the summer, and getting along with my boss since we are very tight now.

Last week he emailed me and asked if I would come back to work with him because the crew has turned to shit since I left, but I am moving about an hour and a half away. He offered me a significant raise, and said I could work 4 days a week so I could spend weekends at my place, and if I was interested he would let me stay at his place with his family during the week for free or else he woiuld pay my gas to drive back and forth every day. It's a tough offer to pass up, and not often does one get a raise for not working for 6 months  :lol.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2015, 05:59:35 AM »
So yesterday my company had our annual Field Day.  Essentially everyone who comes (the NYC and Philly offices, and then the few remote workers like myself who live in the area) is divided into four teams and you compete in various events to determines who wins.  Games such as volleyball, dodgeball, pie eating, tug-o-war... plus tons of amazing food and an open bar (with liqueur too!).  You are allowed to bring your family as well.  The NYC office took a chartered boat from Manhatten to Liberty State Park in Jersey City, the Philly office got bussed in.  I drove  :sad: anyway, it was beautiful yesterday... and I got paid too!  Definitely a cool perk.

Here are some pics:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2015, 01:48:02 PM »
• I only work 4 days a week ( with the odd cover day )

• I only work 5 hours a day

• Shifts go by stupidly fast

• I get fed on my shift for free

• I get free coffee all day

• I work Fri - Mon. Start early and finish early afternoon - meaning that from 2:30pm on Monday to 10am Friday Morning i'm off work :)

Offline SeventhDegree

• of Inner Turbulence
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2015, 09:05:17 PM »
I get a paycheck every two weeks.  That's it.
"I'm tired of Facebook, tired of my failing health
I'm tired of everyone, and that includes myself."
----------Steven Wilson, 2017

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2015, 02:16:52 AM »
I get paid every week. It's nice to have a top up every 7 days.

I feel like waiting 4 weeks for your next payment is too long.

I'm currently doing way more hours because of the summer and it should definitely help with the rent - but man I can't wait to go back to having 3 days off in a row. :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2015, 05:26:26 AM »
I wouldnt like getting paid monthly.  Makes managing your money during the month a bit more difficult I would think, but never had a job like that. 

I like my bi-weeky payments.  First paycheck of the month goes to my credit cards and my savings account.  Second paycheck goes to my mortgage and housing expenses as well as credit cards, I usually don't have money to put into savings from this check.  And then there are a couple months a year where you get a third paycheck in that month. That goes to my credit cards and savings or maybe something specific if I was looking to purchase something.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2015, 06:00:22 AM »
I wouldnt like getting paid monthly.  Makes managing your money during the month a bit more difficult I would think, but never had a job like that. 

I like my bi-weeky payments.  First paycheck of the month goes to my credit cards and my savings account.  Second paycheck goes to my mortgage and housing expenses as well as credit cards, I usually don't have money to put into savings from this check.  And then there are a couple months a year where you get a third paycheck in that month. That goes to my credit cards and savings or maybe something specific if I was looking to purchase something.

I do the exact same thing. First check is always car payment, oil, electric, and cable. The second check is always mortgage and credit cards. The second check is more or less spent the second I get it, I usually only have $150 or so left from it.