0 (0%)
We're Here Because We're Here
4 (26.7%)
Weather Systems
6 (40%)
Distant Satellites
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Anathema Discography v. So let it take me away...  (Read 22188 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Anathema Discography v. We will share the light and dark
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2015, 04:12:51 AM »
Just finished up my re-listen of this.  First time in a long time.

Really good.  My favorite thus far.  I liked it a lot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Anathema Discography v. We will share the light and dark
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2015, 11:36:45 AM »
So, just catching up.  Again, only available as a YT upload.  And when the description starts "True death/doom metal style. Classic! Brilliant and awesome album!"... well, these things just don't compute for me.

Musically it's ok, but the growls are killing it for me.  Not sure I'll make it through a full hour of this.  I think I'd rather listen to my son singing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Anathema Discography v. Happiness in a broken vision
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2015, 11:31:12 AM »
The Silent Enigma (1995)

1. Restless Oblivion
2. Shroud of Frost
3. ...Alone
4. Sunset of Age
5. Nocturnal Emission
6. Cerulean Twilight
7. The Silent Enigma
8. A Dying Wish
9. Black Orchid

Line-up:

Vincent Cavanagh - vocals, guitars
John Douglas - drums, percussion
Duncan Patterson - bass
Danny Cavanagh - guitars, orchestral arrangements

Derek Fullwood - spoken word on "Shroud of Frost"
Rebecca Wilson - female vocals on "...Alone"

Anathema entered the Lynx Studios in the second quarter of 1995 with just a few song ideas (in the reissue booklet Danny states they had only two fully arranged songs, yet in this old interview he claims they had four songs), one of which was the future classic "A Dying Wish": according to Danny, "Duncan had a few riffs lying around… And one of them was… Really. Fucking. Good!"

For the first time everyone was involved in the writing process, and John Douglas debuted as a songwriter with "Cerulean Twilight". In the booklet all the songs have been credited to the whole band, but Duncan once posted the actual credits for each song on the official Anathema forum - unfortunately I can't find that post anymore, but I have a vague memory of what they looked like, so I can post them if anyone is interested.

As mentioned in the write-up for Pentecost III, Darren White was fired from the band during the recording of TSE. The working title Rise Pantheon Dreams was abandoned, as it was his idea originally - Darren later used that title for a release by his new band The Blood Divine. According to Danny, having Vincent take over the vocals was the obvious choice for everyone except Vincent himself: they were watching football on TV when Vinnie asked what they were going to do now that Darren was gone, and the rest of the guys pointed at him and said "it's you..." Although he was a more diverse vocalist than Darren, Vincent had to scream his way through the songs, as they'd been written with the ex-vocalist's voice in mind.

Having lost their lyricist, the band took a month off to work on the lyrics for the new material. They got some help from their friends Vincent O'Connell and Deryk "Dygga" Fullwood, who also recited the speech on "Shroud of Frost". The story behind "Nocturnal Emission" is a funny one: https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/anathema/30597-questions-danny-thread-4.html#post450022
Quote from: Danny Cavanagh
well, on the morning we were due to record the vocals for that song, we had no lyrics. as i said, vincent 'o connel and deryk "dygga" fulwood were staying with us helping us to complete the album. we woke dygga up (he was hungover on the couch) and said "dygga we need some lyrics" i have a vague recollection that dunc may have said a basic subject matter.
anyway dygga (still half asleep) grabs a pen, a piece of scrap paper and his boot. resting the paper on the boot, he began to scrawl these words down, after a couple of minutes he handed us the paper and fell straight back to sleep. we took it to the studio and duncan started to arrange the song using his duran duran influences. i think it turned out well and i'll always remember dygga and the boot. the subject matter is subconcious and probably a bit scarred..

In late 1995 Anathema played some UK shows supporting Cathedral and Paradise Lost, before heading out on a European tour with Trouble and Massacra in early 1996 (as a fun fact, Duncan Patterson later covered the Trouble song Mr. White with his Antimatter project). On this tour the band had Les Smith (Ship of Fools) playing keyboards to complement their live sound - he would play on Eternity the same year and join the band as a full-time member in 2000, after a stint with Cradle of Filth.

Anathema also played some dates with My Dying Bride in Poland, and one of them was recorded for A Vision of a Dying Embrace live video. That DVD can be found on the 2008 reissue of the album. It's a good document of Anathema from that period, including a heavy dose of TSE, but also a couple of Pentecost III songs and "Sleepless" from Serenades. However, it's also clear that doing the aggressive vocals was not easy on Vincent's voice and he seems pretty exhausted by the end of the show.

The Silent Enigma is a much more mature and unique release than Serenades (1993) or the early EPs. Although there's some idling in a couple of songs and the experiments may be hit-or-miss, the highlights of the album are among the greatest Anathema songs of all time and enough to make the album a must-listen for any fan of doom(y) metal. The increased amount of keyboards and Vincent's more diverse vocals make the music more intriguing and paved the way for the band's progression towards a more melodic sound. (full review: https://echotester.blogspot.com/2015/07/anathema-discography-4-silent-enigma.html)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2015, 11:58:32 AM »
I love this album. To me it's one of their better ones, a top5 Anathema album for me. So much awesomeness.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2015, 01:19:09 PM »
I love this album. To me it's one of their better ones, a top5 Anathema album for me. So much awesomeness.
I'm not totally sure if I would place it in my top 5 (it's battling with Distant Satellites), but it's definitely my favorite out of the first three albums. :metal

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2015, 01:23:39 PM »
Good writeup- very informative.

I quite enjoy this album and listened to it a lot last summer when I was really digging into Anathema's older music more seriously. A couple tracks in particular stand out. Restless Oblivion, Shroud of Frost and A Dying Wish immediately come to mind.

Unfortunately, that being said, this is still overall my least favorite Anathema album as a whole. I suspect it's largely because I think Vinnie is a great singer, but I'm not that fond of his harsh vocals. In fact, while I really appreciate the split with Darren White, for what it allowed the band to do eventually, I quite prefer his harsh vocal delivery. Vincent has a beautiful singing voice and this pales in comparison for me.

I'll listen to the album again and post some more coherent thoughts in a bit.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2015, 02:16:32 PM »
Definitely a classic in the genre! Awesome opening, drags through the middle, but picks up a bit for the ending (mostly "ADW"). I love "Sunset of Age" but the Falling Deeper version is clearly superior.

Dunno about "Alone," though. The FD version is like twice as long and I'm unsure if it's for the better.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2015, 04:20:57 PM »
It will help immensely when we get to the albums that are actually on Spotify.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2015, 05:28:14 PM »

Every album is on Apple Music, if anyone is doing the free trial right now!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2015, 08:47:58 PM »
At least in my country, all of their stuff is up on Spotify - even the latest remasters.

Haven't given this album a spin in ages - will fix that and report soon.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2015, 09:26:36 PM »
Not in North America (or at least, Canada).  Starts with Judgement.  There are remasters of Fine Day To Exit and A Natural Disaster.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2015, 08:15:05 AM »
Unfortunately, that being said, this is still overall my least favorite Anathema album as a whole. I suspect it's largely because I think Vinnie is a great singer, but I'm not that fond of his harsh vocals. In fact, while I really appreciate the split with Darren White, for what it allowed the band to do eventually, I quite prefer his harsh vocal delivery. Vincent has a beautiful singing voice and this pales in comparison for me.
I think both vocalists have good voices for the albums they growled on: Vincent's agonized and tortured screams work better on TSE, while Darren's resigned and crestfallen growl is perfect for the earlier stuff. However, I'm glad Vinnie quit doing the harsh vocals, not only because of the change of direction, but because it was clearly not good for his vocal cords - his speaking voice is kinda hoarse between the songs on AVOADE.
Dunno about "Alone," though. The FD version is like twice as long and I'm unsure if it's for the better.
Alone works as a break from the heaviness on the album, but it's not a song I ever feel like listening to on its own, and that FD version makes me snore. :P
At least in my country, all of their stuff is up on Spotify - even the latest remasters.
Same here. Why can't Spotify have the same albums available everywhere instead of complicating people's lives? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2015, 08:53:05 AM »
Oh, I still need to listen to this one. Will do so tomorrow.

Why can't Spotify be available everywhere? :lol

FTFM
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anathema Discography v. If the truth hurts, prepare for pain
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2015, 08:46:09 AM »
Those who hate growls can rejoice now, because we're moving to the clean vocal phase. :P I'll be gone for a few days, so I'm posting this already so that you won't have to wait too long:

Eternity (1996)

1. Sentient
2. Angelica
3. The Beloved
4. Eternity Part I
5. Eternity Part II
6. Hope (Roy Harper cover)
7. Suicide Veil
8. Radiation
9. Far Away
10. Eternity Part III
11. Cries on the Wind
12. Ascension

Line-up:

John Douglas - drums
Duncan Patterson - bass
Danny Cavanagh - guitars, keyboards

Michelle Richfield - female vocals
Les Smith - keyboards
Roy Harper - spoken word on "Hope"

Eternity was recorded in 1996. Now that the band could finally write songs for Vincent's voice, they abandoned the death metal elements and harsh vocals, putting more emphasis on atmosphere, although the music was still doomy and heavy - the album was compared to Pink Floyd in a lot of reviews at the time. For the first time the band used an outside keyboardist, Les Smith (not yet as a full-time member, though he co-wrote "Sentient"), and female vocals by Michelle Richfield (Dominion) appeared on full band songs instead of acoustic numbers (she would later lend her voice for Duncan Patterson's Antimatter project).

The band also recorded a cover of Roy Harper's "Hope" and made a rather psychedelic video for it. Vincent explained the reasoning behind this choice: https://www.chroniclesofchaos.com/articles.aspx?id=1-173
CoC: What's the story behind the choice of using the song "Hope" on _Eternity_?

VC: The concept of "Hope". That was the choice, the concept itself of the song. Maybe we're not just spirits disappearing, maybe there is some sort of light at the end of the tunnel as far as our spirits are concerned. Perhaps things will be better one day, perhaps when we're dead; you know, all of these types of things you think about.

CoC: Why did you choose to have "Hope" as _Eternity_'s video clip? It's a somewhat strange choice, I think, since it's not very much like the rest of the album, is it?

VC: No, it isn't... Well, mainly, we chose it because the reactions from various sections of the media when _Eternity_ was released were very centered around "Hope", and it seemed to be the most popular choice at the time.
He also wrote the lyrics for the song "The Beloved" and talked about them in the same interview:
CoC: Specifically, I'd like to know what inspired you to write the lyrics for "The Beloved", if that's allright with you.

VC: Mainly the feeling of coming to the end of life as you see it, with all sorts of regrets about how you've conducted yourself while you were being given the chance -- love-wise, never really letting anyone in when you could have.

According to Danny, Eternity is a concept album: https://web.archive.org/web/19990204025210/https://www.scream.no/scr33/interviews33.html#ANATHEMA
Quote from: Danny Cavanagh
It's Duncan (bass) that has written most of the lyrics. He has basically dealt with fear, and the fact that we sooner or later all are gonna die! He has also touch the theme that there are 4 billion people on this planet, and not a single person knows why we are here!

Duncan explained some of his lyrical themes in 1997: https://web.archive.org/web/19990302040646/https://www.dma.be/p/mindview/uk/new/iviews/anathema.htm
Quote from: Duncan Patterson
'Suicide Veil' is then again a weird story about someone taking drugs , thinks about committing suicide , but is ashamed of it a little bit later .

'Far Away' deals with escapism in every possible way : drinking , blowing , sniffing coke, eating magic mushrooms or just daydreaming to fly away with your thoughts from reality . When you grow older , you see your dreams shattered and you notice it's get ting worse , so that you only want to escape from it . 'Cries In The Wind' deals with the same theme as 'Hope' does , so rather a little bit depressing .

In later years, band members have expressed dissatisfaction with the album, like Vinnie in this interview: https://www.examiner.com/article/exclusive-interview-with-vincent-cavanagh-of-anathema-part-i
Quote from: Vincent Cavanagh
Eternity was where we tried to do the more rocking element and have some real singing, but I know that some people, to this day, think that’s their favorite album. When I listen to it, I hear a band that’s trying to find its sound. We were trying to find something but we were actually trying too hard. We had too many things on the table; too many guitars, too many effects. And it all sounded muddy because it was still down tuned to “B,” which is how we started

Danny has also said the production of Eternity is "a mess" and he wishes he could re-do it. On top of that, Duncan's original idea for the album cover was rejected by the record label and not used until it was reissued on vinyl a few years ago:

"Duncan Patterson, the band mastermind at the time, wanted Eternity to be Anathema's White Album. He wanted the cover artwork to pay homage to the Beatles classic, but Music for Nations considered the concept uncommercial. So the album cover ended up sporting an image of an angel lost in cheesy CGI space.

I gotta agree that the final cover looks pretty awful! :lol

Eternity is the sound of a band in a transitional phase and feels like a stepping stone in between two great albums: some of Duncan Patterson's contributions are among the best Anathema songs ever, but a lot of the tunes are rather forgettable. Both the album's production and the vocals sound unrefined, the heavy arrangements don't do the songs justice and some of the keyboard sounds are quite dated. On the other hand, going from The Silent Enigma straight to Alternative 4 would've been impossible and would probably have been too drastic of a change for the fans at the time, so Eternity's place in the Anathema discography is justified, even though it's the band's weakest full-length album to date. (full review: https://echotester.blogspot.com/2015/07/anathema-discography-5-eternity-1996.html)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2015, 09:14:07 AM »
Funny how opinions work. Weakest full length album to date?!!? I couldn't disagree more.

This one has gotten the most listens from me in the last few months. If I had to pinpoint parts of the album that I'm not thrilled about it would be Far Away and the last two tracks. The Eternity Suite and Hope on the other hand are, in my humble opinion, phenomenal. Angelica is possibly my favorite Anathema song yet, thus far in the discography, and The Beloved and Suicide Veil are also great. Particularly love the climax in the latter, but both have a few great moments.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2015, 09:37:11 AM »
Together with The Silent Enigma, it's definitely their most underrated album. A really strong "first effort" (with the new sound) trying something other than metal. This is definitely a great album that set the sound which the band perfected on Judgement and Alternative 4.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2015, 10:58:51 AM »
I'm a bit behind, sorry :lol. I actually enjoyed TSE - after the first two songs which are quite men imo, it got really interesting. Particularly liked Sunset of Age. Will listen to this one soon.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2015, 01:34:25 PM »
I like most of Eternity but it's definitely the mess the band members are quoted saying. You can't stick an SM57 on a meh amplifier and stack that many tracks and make it sound good, even on tape!

Highlights for me are already said by others: "Angelica," the title suite.

I can't stand the Roy Harper cover. Awful.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2015, 12:51:38 AM »
Funny how opinions work. Weakest full length album to date?!!? I couldn't disagree more.

This one has gotten the most listens from me in the last few months. If I had to pinpoint parts of the album that I'm not thrilled about it would be Far Away and the last two tracks. The Eternity Suite and Hope on the other hand are, in my humble opinion, phenomenal. Angelica is possibly my favorite Anathema song yet, thus far in the discography, and The Beloved and Suicide Veil are also great. Particularly love the climax in the latter, but both have a few great moments.
Really? :omg: Far Away is easily one of the best IMO. I feel Danny's songs are the weakest on the album, with the exception of Angelica, and even that one sounds a lot better on Hindsight.
I don't think it's that bad and it fits in surprisingly well, but it's not really an album highlight for me either.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2015, 03:56:12 AM »
To open a can of worms: this is my favourite Anathema album, bar none. Hope drags a little, but the rest is perfect, especially Angelica, Far Away, Suicide Veil, Cries on the Wind and the Eternity Suite.

Damn, I'll have to listen to this one again. It's been too long.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2015, 07:12:31 AM »

Really? :omg: Far Away is easily one of the best IMO. I feel Danny's songs are the weakest on the album, with the exception of Angelica, and even that one sounds a lot better on Hindsight.
I don't think it's that bad and it fits in surprisingly well, but it's not really an album highlight for me either.

Yeah... Far Away just hasn't ever really done much for me. They vocals are some of the weakest on the album, for me. Far awayyyyyyy... Meh...

I will say, the acoustic version is quite nice. And I agree on Hope. The little riff can be a little annoying but on the whole I still think it's a strong song.

To open a can of worms: this is my favourite Anathema album, bar none. Hope drags a little, but the rest is perfect, especially Angelica, Far Away, Suicide Veil, Cries on the Wind and the Eternity Suite.

Damn, I'll have to listen to this one again. It's been too long.

That makes me happy. Recently, it's been near the top for me. I think it's too bad that the band doesn't seem to enjoy it as much as we do.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
Finally listened to The Silent Enigma, yeah, growly stuff. Starting my listen to Eternity now.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2015, 11:16:47 AM »
So, after one listen to Eternity, I can say I don't know why this album gets so much dislike from the band and from Ville. Yeah, few clunker tracks for sure: Hope, in my opinion, is just awful, and I'm kind of indifferent to Cries on the Wind and Ascension, but I liked the rest. Highlights for me are Angelica, The Beloved and Far Away. The title track suite is good, but not as good as those three.

Overall, I'm digging this dark vibe with clean vocal approach. Looking forward to the next one, and I may revisit this one a few times more this week.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2015, 02:03:46 PM »
Overall, I'm digging this dark vibe with clean vocal approach. Looking forward to the next one, and I may revisit this one a few times more this week.
Then I'm sure you'll dig the following 2 albums ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2015, 04:41:33 AM »
Still catching up on lost time from vacation.  Listening to The Silent Enigma now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2015, 05:38:43 AM »
Well, that was interesting.  Good compositions, but I'm kind of over the growly-growly.

Good thing that Eternity is up next.  Here we go!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2015, 07:48:30 PM »
Damn, Eternity is one damn fine album.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2015, 12:29:58 AM »
Damn, Eternity is one damn fine album.

QFT.

I've listened to this album a couple of times over the last week or so, and with every listen, I love it more. Perfect mix of all the styles that Anathema were/are capable of, to be honest.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2015, 03:17:23 AM »
To open a can of worms: this is my favourite Anathema album, bar none.
I can't say I agree with you, but I get why people love the album.
So, after one listen to Eternity, I can say I don't know why this album gets so much dislike from the band and from Ville.
Dunno, stylistically speaking Eternity should be right up my alley, but the songwriting just fails to excite me and the album comes across as a stepping stone on the band's way to Alternative 4. Speaking of that album, we're about to continue with it, as soon as I finish my write-up.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2015, 05:59:01 AM »
I should give first two albums another listen ASAP but somehow I got bored when I started listening and never get to the end of album :/
And I think I never listened to Eternity in its entirety, good chance to finally get into those early albums.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2015, 07:33:25 AM »
So, after one listen to Eternity, I can say I don't know why this album gets so much dislike from the band and from Ville.
Dunno, stylistically speaking Eternity should be right up my alley, but the songwriting just fails to excite me and the album comes across as a stepping stone on the band's way to Alternative 4. Speaking of that album, we're about to continue with it, as soon as I finish my write-up.

It's completely slipping my mind- where I saw this- but if I remember correctly the guys in the band have said in the past that Alternative 4 is the first release that they consider to be a legitimate album from a songwriting perspective. That is, in the sense that they wrote al the songs with a single product in mind, whereas in the past they just cobbled together albums from leftover pieces of other songs and different times, etc.

Now if that's true, maybe it explains some of the mixed reactions and perceptions of inconsistency. Though I think the production is also a big culprit as well.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anathema Discography v. We are just a moment in time
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2015, 08:11:14 AM »
Alternative 4 (1998)

1. Shroud of False
2. Fragile Dreams
3. Empty
4. Lost Control
5. Re-Connect
6. Inner Silence
7. Alternative 4
8. Regret
9. Feel
10. Destiny

Line-up:

Shaun Steels - drums
Duncan Patterson - bass, keyboards, piano
Danny Cavanagh - guitars, keyboards, piano

Andy Duncan - drum loops on "Empty"
George Rucci - violin

In 1997 Anathema parted ways with drummer John Douglas, who, according to Vincent at the time, "was full of ideas, but he couldn't really bring any of them into action. He was too caught up with his ecstasy and his dancing... He lost all his enthusiasm; he wasn't really part of the band anymore." He was replaced by Shaun Steels, who would later go on to join My Dying Bride. However, before hiring him the band was requested to contribute a few cover tracks to a Peaceville compilation, and due to the lack of a drummer they recorded two Pink Floyd songs that had no drums and a piano ballad version of Bad Religion's "Better Off Dead" (featuring Michelle Richfield on vocals).

When Anathema started working on their fourth full-length album, everything wasn't alright within the band, as Vincent stated in a 2010 interview: "Danny [Cavanagh] and Duncan [Patterson] weren’t really talking at all. They didn’t even play on each other’s songs." Duncan left the band after the album was recorded, and in 2012 he explained his departure like this: https://autumnsphere.blogspot.fi/2012/01/interview-with-duncan-patterson.html
It was something that was on the cards for years. I was carrying the band, both musically and in every other sense. The guys got very lazy after Darren went and I was left to deal with everything. Danny went through a difficult period in his life around the time of Eternity and I stood up and took the musical reigns while he wasn't so creative. Thats how I ended up writing lyrics on his tracks, as he didn't have the energy or motivation at that time. I was always living in the hope that the guys would start to take more responsibility, but it never happened. Then around the time of Alternative 4 we were having big problems between us. A lot of it was a lack of communication, which we were all guilty of. And there were problems between all three of us, not just me versus Danny, which seems to be the accepted version of the tale. As I said earlier, we were surrounded by real parasitic people who were giving each of us their own 'advice' to basically play us off against each other and take advantage of whoever ended up leaving or being fired. We were very close to splitting up and then a family tragedy struck for the brothers. It was then that I put it all into perspective and told Danny and Vinny to sort out their differences and continue the band, and I decided to pursue another project. That was a pure gesture from me out of goodwill and decency. I'm glad I came away with my head held high. But after that I was shit on from a great height. I was stopped from making music, silenced in the press, and lied about and defamed in big magazines. I had my royalties stopped (illegally) and I was in a dark place for a while. I didn't deserve that at all. Then a couple of years later I bumped into Danny in a club and he helped fix a lot of the problems. He made sure that I got paid again and apologised for the band making me the scapegoat for their own chaos and guilt. I also bumped into someone who was close to Vinny at the time who told me "WE didn't mean to hurt you, WE had to do what was best for the bands image after you left". She used the word "WE" which confirmed that she was involved in influencing a lot of that shit. And I wont even mention the name of the guy who unsuccessfully replaced me. He was the ringleader and his departure coincided with me being friends with the guys again. Well, that was no coincidence. Anyway, neither of these people had anything to do with our music or the band. But they managed to force their way in. There were many of those kinds of people around us like vultures. We were young though, and still learning about all this. And the important thing is that we sorted it out long ago and we get along better than ever.
There were also musical differences, as Duncan "wanted to write more piano-based stuff and bring in a female vocalist, use more ambient sounds etc. While they wanted to be more guitar based and heavy, as they famously said during the Judgement interviews. Its funny the way things turn out." In a 1998 interview he said they'd like to make an acoustic album, but doubted their label would approve of the idea.

Anyway, into the music: Alternative 4 included some new elements, such as the violin on "Fragile Dreams" and "Lost Control", and the drum loops on "Empty". According to Duncan, the latter song was born after the record label requested the band to write a single, but I can't say it's a very radio-friendly tune! :lol Vincent had also taken singing lessons and the band now tuned to standard E instead of B.

The sound of the album is much more minimalistic and depressive compared to Eternity. Duncan would take the minimalism to extremes with his later projects, which had little to do with rock, let alone metal. However, in 1998 Vincent argued that Anathema's music was still doom metal, although its scope had become wider and more diverse. The Pink Floyd influence was still strong, but according to Duncan people had compared the album to a variety of bands ranging from U2 to The Sisters of Mercy.

The album title was inspired by Leslie Watkins' book Alternative 3, which deals with conspiracy theories. Regarding Vincent's accent at the end of the title-track, Duncan said:
We were laughing too, it was intentionally humorous for us and Vinny is a great impersonator. We wanted to make it sound like 1930s style or something. As for the use of the word holocaust, it has nothing to do with Germany or the 2nd World War. I was actually referring to Armageddon. I really don't see how people could connect that song to the nazi atrocities. It wouldn't make sense at all.
As an interesting fun fact, the clicking noise in "Destiny" after the 1-minute mark is the buttons on Duncan's combat pants hitting the acoustic guitar: https://www.facebook.com/duncanpatterson.music/posts/10153011922333722

Vincent has said the thought-provoking album cover is "a picture of the virgin Mary -- with an astronaut face, the reflexion of an astronaut." However, like the original cover concept for Eternity, the album cover wasn't first met with approval:
I remember that Music For Nations didn't like the cover, and originally removed the wings and tried to change the 'alternative 4' font, because they thought it didn't fit. I was stubborn though and made sure that they fixed it. They also changed some of the lyrics and punctuation which I had originally typed into their computer in their office. Crazy stuff!

Due to the split with Dunc, Dave Pybus was brought in to play the bass for the tour in support of the album, eventually becoming a full-time member. Martin Powell (ex-My Dying Bride) was also hired to play live keyboards, and the band toured with Portuguese gothic metallers Moonspell in the fall of 1998.

Alternative 4 is a brutally honest album, both musically and lyrically. There's not a single filler track in its 45-minute running time and the album has a strong atmosphere without getting monotonous at any point, thanks to the different styles of the band's songwriters. Anathema prove that there are probably even more shades of gray than 50! While I don't agree with the Cavanagh brothers' view that it's the beginning of the "real" Anathema, I do consider Alternative 4 the band's greatest achievement and the first of their two bullseyes. (full review: https://echotester.blogspot.com/2015/07/anathema-discography-6-alternative-4.html)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2015, 08:15:29 AM »
It's completely slipping my mind- where I saw this- but if I remember correctly the guys in the band have said in the past that Alternative 4 is the first release that they consider to be a legitimate album from a songwriting perspective. That is, in the sense that they wrote al the songs with a single product in mind, whereas in the past they just cobbled together albums from leftover pieces of other songs and different times, etc.

Now if that's true, maybe it explains some of the mixed reactions and perceptions of inconsistency. Though I think the production is also a big culprit as well.
Yeah, as I just wrote at the bottom of the write-up, both Danny and Vinnie have called A4 the first "true" Anathema album. The least open-minded metalheads probably consider it the last, though. :P Seeing how many posters in this thread liked Eternity compared to the previous albums, I think the number will get even higher now. ;)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2015, 08:44:26 AM »
Definitely one of their best. I'd probably put it as my third favorite Anathema album. Regret and Alternative 4 are my two favorites, but it also has other "classics" like Fragile Dream, Lost Control and Empty.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2015, 09:56:24 AM »
This album is so depressing, but awesome music-wise. Fragile Dreams, Lost Control, and the self-titled song are the highlights here imo.