0 (0%)
We're Here Because We're Here
4 (26.7%)
Weather Systems
6 (40%)
Distant Satellites
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Anathema Discography v. So let it take me away...  (Read 21913 times)

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anathema Discography v. A harmony to breathe forevermore
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2015, 08:58:12 PM »
What is the story on "Dreaming: The Romance," anyway?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2015, 11:33:07 AM »
I don't necessarily agree with a lot of what you've said- I think Serenades is vastly underrated and relatively free of any filler (outside of the final track, imo). Still, nice write-up. And thanks for sharing that video from Romania- I'd never seen it before.

I'll give the album a full listen before saying anything more, but just out of curiosity, how would you rank the songs? Curious to see Sleepless not one of your top 3, since it seems to be generally adored. I actually agree with you, but I'm curious to hear where it falls in your ranking
Sleepless falls just outside my top 3, at #4. I'd rank the songs like this:

1. They (Will Always) Die
2. Lovelorn Rhapsody
3. Sleep in Sanity
4. Sleepless
5. J'ai fait une promesse
6. Under a Veil (of Black Lace)
7. Sweet Tears
8. Where Shadows Dance
9. Scars of the Old Stream
(As I said in the review, D:TR doesn't exist for me :P It's not even on all editions of the album, so that's made my desire to give it a full listen even more minimal)

Now that I think about it, I may have rated the album a little too low when I gave a 3 instead of a 3.5 - after all, the filler tracks aren't a big portion of the album, and most of the actual songs are pretty solid. Serenades isn't my least favorite Anathema album, but definitely in the lesser half of their discography, and I think they perfected the doom sound on TSE.
What is the story on "Dreaming: The Romance," anyway?
They probably had a little too much time on their hands and thought it would be cool to mess around on a keyboard and record it. :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2015, 03:29:48 PM »
Personally, if I was rating the album, I'd probably go with a 3.5/4.

I agree on Where Shadows Dance- definitely on the bottom end of things for me. On the other hand, Under a Veil and Sweet Tears are both in my top three- the former being my favorite pre-Eternity Anathema song. Rounding out the top three I'd have Lovelorn Rhapsody, followed by They (will always) Die, Sleepless and the rest.

Definitely the weakest Anathema album

:yeahright
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 04:07:59 PM »
Hey I said it was a great one, but they definitely don't have another album I could rank lower. But it's no shame, a lot of bands have mediocre debuts, Anathema's is actually pretty great.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2015, 04:33:47 PM »
I have never given it enough listens tbh, so I'll have to check it soon.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2015, 05:20:48 PM »
I'll have a listen tomorrow, it's the only Anathema album that I haven't listened to yet, but I can't imagine it being as boring as Weather Systems, so... yeah.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2015, 06:46:52 PM »
I can't imagine it being as boring as Weather Systems, so... yeah.
did u just

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2015, 08:05:11 PM »
Gonna check this out now.
Signature

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2015, 09:33:22 AM »
This one's definitely pretty monotonous. For all the good moments (end of "They (Will Always) Die," all of "Sleepless," atmospheric interludes, select bits from most other songs that were cherrypicked for Falling Deeper), there's a lot of other stuff to wade through patiently. I basically throw this in with the first My Dying Bride and the first few Katatonia records as decent attempts at something new by inexperienced youths. Anathema refined dramatically for the next EP and album, so I'm looking forward to revisiting them!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2015, 01:24:10 PM »
Just finished up my first listen with "Serenades". Yeah, this was much more entertaining that the EP, "Sleepless" really jumped out at me as a departure for them. I like it!

I'll listen again and if anything jumps out as worth mentioning I'll report back.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2015, 05:06:47 AM »
Finishing up now.

It was OK, not bad for a debut, and like several other people have noted, somewhat uneven.

However, I will break with what seems to be the general opinion and say the last track, Dreaming: The Romance, was my favorite on the album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2015, 11:37:23 AM »
I am currently listening to Serenades, and I have to say that I like it a lot indeed. The vocals are very different, but they fit the music perfectly.

Will report back once I have finished it, but Lovelorn Rhapsody and Sweet Tears have my approval already. :tup

Late report back: I liked it. Sleepless, Sleep in Sanity and Under a Veil (of Black Lace) were the highlights in addition to the two already mentioned, but it was a solid album. Not my favourite Anathema album, but I already prefer it to their last three albums by quite a margin.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:15:56 AM by Scorpion »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2015, 04:19:27 AM »
That makes me happy- I thought you would enjoy it Scorp  :)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2015, 04:21:37 AM »
Yeah. To be honest, I haven't heard an Anathema album from before WHBWH that I didn't like, so my hope is that by listening to all of those I'll get into the Anathema groove and finally understand what you guys in those albums, because I really want to like them as well.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2015, 05:44:11 AM »
You'll probably enjoy The Silent Enigma as well, much better than the debut IMO and still a metal album. :)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2015, 10:43:09 AM »
I gave it one spin, there were more memorable moments than on EP, but I have no desire to spin it again. I also don't get what's the deal with Dreaming: The Romance ending either. Out of growly badass metal songs, I think I liked Sleepless - Sleep in Sanity two songs punch the most.

Everwake is still my favourite song from those two.

Spotify isn't available in my country, so, well

Had to listen via someone's YT playlist.

Gives real meaning to the 'meanwhile in Russia' meme.

You don't say. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anathema Discography v. We will share the light and dark
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2015, 12:09:11 PM »
Moving on to another EP:

Pentecost III (1995)

1. Kingdom
2. Mine Is Yours to Drown in (Ours is the New Tribe)
3. We, the Gods
4. Pentecost III
5. Memento Mori

Line-up:

Daniel Cavanagh — guitar
Vincent Cavanagh — guitar
John Douglas — drums
Duncan Patterson — bass guitar
Darren White — vocals

Anathema entered The Academy studios again in May 1994 to record their next EP, Pentecost III. These sessions also spawned two improvised tracks, "Eternal Rise of the Sun" and "Nailed to the Cross", both of which can be found on the rare We Are the Bible 7" and the reissue of Serenades. The original edition of the EP also includes an acoustic piece called "Horses" along with "666" as hidden tracks. Interestingly enough, in a newsletter from 1994 the title-track was called "The War with Rome Still Rages On". It also says the video for "Mine Is Yours" was filmed on Anglesey Island.

Pentecost III is doomy and heavy like the earlier recordings, but Darren White mostly speaks or shouts instead of growling, and there are some melodic vocals too. "We, the Gods" is also the first Anathema song to include a (co-)writing credit for Duncan Patterson, who would become a prolific songwriter on subsequent releases. Due to record label politics (a merging between Peaceville and Music for Nations), the EP didn't get released until a year after it had been recorded, and by that point White had been fired from the band. Danny and Duncan talked about the circumstances that led to them parting ways with him:
https://web.archive.org/web/19991002125133/https://www.dse.nl/inferno/issue5/anathema.html
Quote from: Danny Cavanagh
"It was all to do with a complete clash of ideas, in terms of lyrics, the vocals, and everything. Videos, basically his attitude towards the band was very different to ours, and we couldn't carry on with it anymore.
On the last album we gave him ten days to record some vocals, in the studio, and we didn't like any of the ones he'd done. In ten days he couldn't get any vocals down that we really liked, and we thought, this can not carry on. It's been a problem for about the last year, ever since 'Pentecost III', just before that was recorded, things started to change. All that I can say now is that Vincent [Cavanagh, ed] is an excellent singer, cos he really can sing notes as well, and he has better ideas for lyrics, his lyrics are less about... There are no 'mountains', 'valleys' or 'gods' anymore. It's more real..."
https://web.archive.org/web/20041216010435/https://www.rockbrigade.com.br/pages/artigos_english/anathema.htm
Quote from: Duncan Patterson
"Basically he just got carried away with his role in the band. He started to see himself as this Jim Morrison type of character with the rest of us being backing musicians. We tried to resolve certain situations that kept arising for instance he booked the studio for one of the albums and only told us a week before we were due to go into record. Anyway, we tried to actually do the album that way with him. When we got into the studio all Darren had was all these poems and half sentences he was intending on using and that's when we knew enough was enough. Fortunately Vinnie is, as in hindsight we all now realise, a much better singer so Vinnie at the last minute agreed to do all the albums vocals. That became the basis for our second full length album, The Silent Enigma."
However, a few years later the guys resolved their differences with Darren and have been on good terms ever since, as seen earlier this year on the Resonance tour. Danny even once said that if Darren had learned to sing properly, he'd still be in the band.

Pentecost III is a fine EP and an important step in Anathema's evolution, but listening to it also makes it clear that the band wouldn't have had a future with Darren White on the microphone, as his non-growled delivery is quite monotonous. However, the music is definitely good - if you cut the last two tracks and trimmed the fat in the two epics, you'd get a brilliant release. The band was clearly maturing musically and the next album would be the peak of their death/doom sound. (full review: https://echotester.blogspot.com/2015/07/anathema-discography-3-pentecost-iii.html)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2015, 12:25:07 PM »
I quite like this EP and particularly enjoy Kingdom. Though, on the whole, I'm still more interested in Serenades. Unfortunately, Darren really isn't much of a singer (as they all said), and some of the lyrics aren't my cup of tea. I couldn't help but laugh when I saw Danny's quote about the mountain, valley, etc., lyrics... It instantly reminds me of what has to be my single least favorite line of lyrics in Anathemas entire discography.

Leave your pearls in the sea, you undeserved bitch.

I'll have to give it another listen before I post any more

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2015, 02:29:52 PM »

:iagree: kinda. Although WS isn't 'boring', it's way too revered for what it really is.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2015, 02:46:56 PM »

:iagree: kinda. Although WS isn't 'boring', it's way too revered for what it really is.

And what'a that?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2015, 02:53:13 PM »
A mediocre rehash of the stunningly brilliant We're Here Because We're Here.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2015, 03:13:06 PM »

Amen. WS is good, but it's a lesser version of what WHBWH did much better before.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2015, 03:33:15 PM »
I respect that opinion well enough and even largely agree on the point that it feels like WHBWH part 2.

With that being said, I think it's an improvement rather than a lesser version.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2015, 04:17:47 PM »
We'll get to those two eventually!

Pentecost III is one of my favourite Anathema releases, and one of my favourite death/doom ones, too. It definitely gets a little monotonous, especially that first 3 minutes of "We, the Gods," but the rest have such a great payoff. It's an awesome accompaniment to The Silent Enigma, which their first video release conveys pretty well. Dunno if we're covering that in this topic. Also, the recent vinyl version has a pretty interesting tracklist change-up, though it's probably more difficult to listen to if you don't already like the EP.

It could use a good remaster, though, better than the ones currently out there (especially not the one coupled with Crestfallen, as it has a skip during WTG!). It's way, way too dark and muddy, and I think that stops a lot of people from liking it as much as TSE, which is relatively cleaner mixwise.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2015, 07:36:27 PM »
I respect that opinion well enough and even largely agree on the point that it feels like WHBWH part 2.

With that being said, I think it's an improvement rather than a lesser version.
Definitely this. It doesn't even have the awkward Get Off Get Out.

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2015, 07:55:50 PM »
Couldn't get into Seeenades either.  On to P3!
Signature

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2015, 11:26:52 PM »
Pentecost III is a really great EP. Haven't spun it in a while, but definitely a good one.  :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2015, 01:42:41 AM »
I quite like this EP and particularly enjoy Kingdom. Though, on the whole, I'm still more interested in Serenades. Unfortunately, Darren really isn't much of a singer (as they all said), and some of the lyrics aren't my cup of tea. I couldn't help but laugh when I saw Danny's quote about the mountain, valley, etc., lyrics... It instantly reminds me of what has to be my single least favorite line of lyrics in Anathemas entire discography.

That "ow!" at the end of WTG is pretty funny, isn't it? :lol I always imagine he hit his head in the studio. :P

Darren explained the symbolism in Kingdom on an old Anathema forum 10 years ago: https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/anathema/140156-darren-white-not-dead-not-dreaming.html#post2667568 He also talked about WTG: https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/anathema/140156-darren-white-not-dead-not-dreaming.html#post2667481

I like the ideas behind those lyrics and prefer them to the standard gothic imagery on Serenades, but it's true that you could play a drinking game by taking a shot every time you hear "mountains". :lol I also agree on that "bitch" line; it sounds so crude in the context of a song with such spiritual lyrics.
Pentecost III is one of my favourite Anathema releases, and one of my favourite death/doom ones, too. It definitely gets a little monotonous, especially that first 3 minutes of "We, the Gods," but the rest have such a great payoff. It's an awesome accompaniment to The Silent Enigma, which their first video release conveys pretty well. Dunno if we're covering that in this topic. Also, the recent vinyl version has a pretty interesting tracklist change-up, though it's probably more difficult to listen to if you don't already like the EP.

It could use a good remaster, though, better than the ones currently out there (especially not the one coupled with Crestfallen, as it has a skip during WTG!). It's way, way too dark and muddy, and I think that stops a lot of people from liking it as much as TSE, which is relatively cleaner mixwise.
We're not doing the DVDs in this thread, but we can discuss A Vision of a Dying Embrace when it's time for TSE, as it was filmed on that tour. I didn't know about that vinyl version - having 2 epics back to back is a little too much IMO, but I understand it was the only way to avoid omitting any songs. Memento Mori was originally just a CD bonus track, as mentioned in that '94 newsletter I linked.

I have the P3/Crestfallen CD, but I haven't noticed anything wrong with WTG. That's a good thing though, because for example that glitch at 0:42 in Sleep in Sanity on the Serenades CD bugs the hell out of me! :lol Also, are my ears lying or are the Crestfallen songs louder than P3?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 01:54:21 AM by ? »

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2015, 09:44:51 AM »

That's exactly what I think of Weather Systems, although most people wouldn't agree. As far as I know, Weather Systems is THE new 'classic' Anathema album for most fans. I thought WHBWH was an album with a lot of real emotion in it, and when WS came out, I felt they were pushing that certain emotion / sunshine vibe a bit too far.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2015, 10:39:41 AM »

That "ow!" at the end of WTG is pretty funny, isn't it? :lol I always imagine he hit his head in the studio. :P

Darren explained the symbolism in Kingdom on an old Anathema forum 10 years ago: https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/anathema/140156-darren-white-not-dead-not-dreaming.html#post2667568 He also talked about WTG: https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/anathema/140156-darren-white-not-dead-not-dreaming.html#post2667481

I like the ideas behind those lyrics and prefer them to the standard gothic imagery on Serenades, but it's true that you could play a drinking game by taking a shot every time you hear "mountains". :lol I also agree on that "bitch" line; it sounds so crude in the context of a song with such spiritual lyrics.

Yes that Ow is a favorite moment for me as well  :biggrin:

When it comes to Kingdom I still (and likely always will) prefer the live acoustic performance a la Union Chapel, but I still like the original quite a bit and appreciate the explanation you shared from the forum. I'm glad they were able to patch things up with Darren and bring him back on tour again. I remember reading an old interview of Vinny's from around the time of the Eternity (or Alternative 4) in which he didn't hold back any punches on Darrens singing. I guess it was pretty common for all of them at the time, but I remember thinking it was unnecessarily harsh.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »

That's exactly what I think of Weather Systems, although most people wouldn't agree. As far as I know, Weather Systems is THE new 'classic' Anathema album for most fans. I thought WHBWH was an album with a lot of real emotion in it, and when WS came out, I felt they were pushing that certain emotion / sunshine vibe a bit too far.

This. But I have a feeling we will get to talk about WS soon enough. :D

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2015, 01:19:34 PM »
When it comes to Kingdom I still (and likely always will) prefer the live acoustic performance a la Union Chapel, but I still like the original quite a bit and appreciate the explanation you shared from the forum. I'm glad they were able to patch things up with Darren and bring him back on tour again. I remember reading an old interview of Vinny's from around the time of the Eternity (or Alternative 4) in which he didn't hold back any punches on Darrens singing. I guess it was pretty common for all of them at the time, but I remember thinking it was unnecessarily harsh.
As I said in the blog post, I like the Resonance live version the most, because it combines the best of both worlds, being based on the more compact and beautiful FD version, but also having the heavy ending.

I went through the article section of the oldest versions of Anathema's website on Wayback Machine (using the listen.to address from the Judgement booklet) to look for background info and there were even more inties where they spoke pretty harshly about Darren's abilities as a vocalist - in the booklet of the TSE reissue Danny admitted that they handled the split pretty immaturely. However, they were on good terms again by '99, as Darren performed Sleepless with them at one show that year. I vaguely remember an interview where he said he went to one of the first UK shows they did without him and he only got to do some stage diving that night. :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2015, 02:42:25 PM »
Forgive me if you already mentioned this in the official thread and I've forgotten, but did you go to one of the Resonance shows?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2015, 05:56:38 PM »
I didn't enjoy Crestfallen nor their debut that much, I have to admit I quite liked this EP. Kingdom was the highlight - amazing riffs, even if the vocal delivery is a bit lame. Looks like I'll finally get into their doom stuff :D

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2015, 02:53:40 AM »
Forgive me if you already mentioned this in the official thread and I've forgotten, but did you go to one of the Resonance shows?
No, unfortunately. There were no Resonance shows in Finland (or other Nordic countries), and school and financial limitations would've prevented me from travelling anyway. I'm still a little sad they broke their promise about the special encore in Tampere last year, as they only played the old stuff in Helsinki. :-\