0 (0%)
We're Here Because We're Here
4 (26.7%)
Weather Systems
6 (40%)
Distant Satellites
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Anathema Discography v. So let it take me away...  (Read 22059 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Anathema Discography v. Beauty is endless
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2015, 07:52:19 PM »
I was going to watch the DVD while I was on the computer and discovered that they sold me a PAL set.    >:( :censored

I'm going to have to go back and either exchange it or get my money back.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #211 on: September 27, 2015, 12:08:13 AM »
Don't you have a stand alone dvd/br player that can play multi zone discs?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #212 on: September 27, 2015, 04:16:04 AM »
I really enjoyed Falling Deeper.  A real change of pace.  Nice arrangements.

And for something like this, I appreciated that it was shorter.  Not that I was getting tired of it, but I think that lent something to it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #213 on: September 27, 2015, 06:25:11 AM »
Falling Deeper was nice. I have it on CD but I have to say that I don't know it too well. It's been long since I last listened to it, maybe I'll listen to it later today or tomorrow. It'll probably be a good record for putting on while studying for an exam.

One thing I do remember clearly: Everwake is  :heart :heart :heart :hefdaddy

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2015, 07:47:46 AM »
Looks like I've got some catching up to do, missing the last few entries due to a vacation. Will post my thoughts in a day or two. Great to see this thread is going on steadily. :tup
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2015, 11:42:54 AM »
Don't you have a stand alone dvd/br player that can play multi zone discs?

No...never needed one before.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #216 on: September 29, 2015, 08:20:30 AM »
I don't mean to interrupt, but I'm standing in a cd shop trying to decide between Ayreon Theory of everything, and an Anathema boxed set with Judgement, A Fine Day to Exit and A Natural Disaster. It also has a live DVD. Are these some of Anathemas better material?

EDIT:  I ended up buying it.  Never heard any of this stuff before.  I've only heard snippets of Weather Systems and The Silent Enigma (talk about two ends of the spectrum)   

Tell you what I think of this middle stuff later.
Cool, hopefully you'll enjoy it! :tup

BTW, this isn't exactly related to Falling Deeper, but since the original songs were written in early 90s, I think this pic Duncan Patterson posted today is apt - it's a rehearsal tape from 1991:

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: September 30, 2015, 11:11:21 AM »
Really enjoyed Hindsight, especially the renditions of Fragile Dreams and Angelica. Falling Deeper, not so much, but the Anneke-enhanced version of Everwake is amazing.

I also listened to We're Here Because We're Here a few times and well, I still don't really like it. It's an interesting listen, but to be honest, I liked both Alternative 4 and Judgement more at this point. And it doesn't even get close to Weather Systems, in my opinion - but I'll wait until we reach that album.

Looking forward to seeing the band live tomorrow!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #218 on: September 30, 2015, 02:56:54 PM »
When they changed their style into something more mellow and atmospheric music I had my doubts but I have to admit they are just great as they are now.

In my eyes they have two main era musically. Their first era's top piece Judgement and second era's top piece is Weather Systems. I actually would count 3 era of their musical journey which includes their first 7 or 8 albums and EPs but I didn't dig them enough. All I can say they all different matter considering their popularity went high by Alternative 4 album with different musical direction. (Which is completely awesome)
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anathema Discography v. Silence is raging
« Reply #219 on: October 01, 2015, 11:33:34 AM »
Weather Systems (2012)

1. Untouchable Pt. 1
2. Untouchable Pt. 2
3. The Gathering of the Clouds
4. Lightning Song
5. Sunlight
6. The Storm Before the Calm
7. The Beginning and the End
8. The Lost Child
9. Internal Landscapes

Line-up:

Daniel Cavanagh - lead vocals (5), co-lead vocals (8), electric guitars (1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9), acoustic guitars (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9), bass guitars (4, 5, 9), keyboards (1, 3, 5), piano (2, 3, 7, 8)
Jamie Cavanagh - bass guitars (6)
Vincent Cavanagh - lead vocals (1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9), electric guitars (6), acoustic guitars (6), bass guitars (6), keyboards (1, 3, 5, 6, 9), programming (1, 3, 5, 6, 7), backing vocals (5)
John Douglas - drums (2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9), keyboards (6), programming (6)
Lee Douglas - lead vocals (4), co-lead vocals (1, 2, 3, 6, 9), backing vocals (5)

Petter Carlsen - backing vocals (1, 2)
Christer-André Cederberg - bass guitars (1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8), Piano (7)
Joe Geraci - spoken word (9)
Wetle Holte - drums (1, 3)

In 2011 Anathema went through its last line-up change to date, when long-time keyboardist Les Smith was fired due to musical differences. I remember there was a lot of confusion amidst the fans at the time, because Daniel Cardoso started filling in for Les in the spring, and the band gave no reason for his absence until his departure was officially announced when Falling Deeper came out. The band received some criticism for this, but Danny has later explained that the decision to let Les go wasn't an easy one: https://crypticrock.com/interview-danny-cavanagh-of-anathema/
Quote from: Danny Cavanagh
It was a very difficult situation with Les Smith. He is very dearly loved and respected brother in the band. Musically I just couldn’t work. I loved him, but I couldn’t work musically. Eventually in the end that just took its toll and I couldn’t take it anymore. That was a difficult decision in 2011. I had a lot of sadness there. There is just so much love, we still love each other very much, it’s just one of those things.

The band made its next album as a five-piece (though not everyone in the band plays on every song, as you can see in the credits). Just like Falling Deeper, Weather Systems was originally supposed to be an EP, but after writing "Internal Landscapes", the band decided to make a full album instead. According to Vincent, the original four songs laid the foundation for the record and gave it its title: https://www.thrashhits.com/2012/04/interview-vincent-cavanagh-from-anathema-on-weather-systems-subterranean-recording-and-on-whats-so-special-about-kscope/
Quote from: Vincent Cavanagh
It was from a particular suite of songs, titled ‘The Gathering of the Clouds’, ‘Lightning Song’, ‘Sunlight’ and ‘The Storm Before The Calm’. They were always really meant to run in sequence. These songs came about around the time of the last album, We’re Here Because We’re Here, and it was obvious that [these songs] were going to be the core of the next album.
As you may remember, "Lightning Song" and "Sunlight" were part of the original WHBWH tracklist from 2006 (which you can see in my write-up for that album), so these songs had been lying around for years. You can read Danny's comments on every Weather Systems track here - there's a really interesting story behind "The Lost Child": https://www.reflectionsofdarkness.com/in-my-own-words/11629-interview-in-my-own-words-anathema-about-weather-systems

Weather Systems marks the beginning of the working relationship between Anathema and Norwegian producer Christer-André Cederberg (who also plays bass and a little bit of piano on the record), whom Danny has later called the band's own George Martin. This was a match made in heaven right from the start:
We met him through a guy called Petter Carlsen, who’s also from Norway. Christer plays in [Carlsen’s] band, and also produced his album, Clocks Don’t Count, which came out last year. We listened to the production [on the record] and it was pristine quality. It was so natural, and rootsy, and earthy, and had all of the natural feel that you want  in a good “rock” sound, but also it had that touch of class to it, so it was a no-brainer for us. We knew immediately: “Okay, this is the guy. We have to at least try [to record] with him”.

I’d never really met the guy before, but instantly on the first day [of going in to the studio], I struck up a friendship with him that was…we just…over breakfast on the first day we were talking about everything…about art…music…culture…politics…philosophy – just over a piece of toast in the morning. And I instantly knew that not only had we found a good producer, but also I’d found a good friend.

Weather Systems is a densely layered album with lots of fingerpicked guitar melodies, orchestrations, and vocal harmonies. It continued to expand Anathema's fanbase, apparently even outselling the previous releases: according to a Kscope press release, it was the band's most successful album to date. Vincent wasn't surprised by this: "It’s all about keeping the momentum going. It was obvious that if followed We’re Here Because We’re Here quickly, people would have a strong interest in the band. That’s exactly what happened." On the tour in support of the album Anathema recorded a live video called Universal - check it out if you haven't already!

Weather Systems was a disappointment for me at the time it was released, because the best songs ("Untouchable Pt. 1" and "The Beginning and the End") had been released in advance of the album and made my expectations too high. After revisiting the album, I still think Weather Systems is slightly uneven and lacks variety. The highs are fantastic, but don't save it from being in the lower half of my Anathema album ranking. That said, I'm glad the record brought Anathema more exposure, because they've earned their success.

Full review: https://echotester.blogspot.com/2015/10/anathema-discography-13-weather-systems.html

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #220 on: October 01, 2015, 12:10:57 PM »
Awesome interview on all the songs.

Weather Systems is an emotional album, It's beautiful and uplifting. It's why I enjoy this album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #221 on: October 01, 2015, 01:14:55 PM »
Can't love this album enough  :heart

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #222 on: October 01, 2015, 03:17:29 PM »
I love this album.
Many people say it lacks in comparison to WHBWH, and that it's pretty much just more of the same. Yeah, they do sound quite similar, but in my opinion, Weather Systems is miles ahead of WHBWH. It's got better songs (Untouchable pt. 1 and The Beginning and The End are absolutely amazing), it's more consistent in quality, and I like how it's a bit moodier than the previous album, with some songs that more melancholy and dark, or flat-out depressing as hell in the case of The Lost Child. To me, WHBWH laid the groundwork, and Weather Systems built upon it, refined it, and took it to a whole new level. And in case you're wondering, I heard WHBWH first.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #223 on: October 01, 2015, 03:38:38 PM »
The weakest out of their second phase albums (Untouchables and Internal Landscapes are amazing, everything else is good but not great), but the few highlights it has are really great. A 7.5 out of 10 or so.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #224 on: October 01, 2015, 03:47:22 PM »
Totally opposite. Their best album out of their 2nd phase. Untouchables are just amazing in every aspect. The others are not far behind, IMO.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: October 01, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »
Best Anathema album for me. WHBWH and DS aren't even close to this, in my opinion. Seeing some songs from it live today reinforced this album strength for me. Just glorious. Untouchables, The Gathering of the Clouds, second half of The Storm before the Calm and The Beginning and the End are all great songs.

Edit: and since all Anathema talk is happening in this thread anyway, here's the setlist from the show (just added it). Danny — I think it was Danny, the most charismatic guy playing guitar and keyboards and not the main vocalist — had some problems with the sound or with something in the first half of the show, he went on and said "I'm having a disaster here right now, this is the worst that happened to me on stage since the times I played death metal" and asked the audience to support him. Thankfully everything went alright in the second half I think.

Before playing The Lost Song pt. 1 Vincent — I think it was Vincent, the main vocal guy who looks like Jon Snow — announced they're going to play all three parts in a row. They played two parts and apparently forgot the setlist, Vincent came to the mic and announced they're going to play something from Weather Systems next. :lol Someone from the band corrected him though and they went on to play Part 3 and then A Simple Mistake.

They also did some weird dance at the very end of the show, after Fragile Dreams was played. Don't know what that's about, but I'm sure it will pop up on YouTube soon.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:08:31 PM by Evermind »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: October 02, 2015, 08:52:52 PM »
Sounds like a truly memorable night  :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #227 on: October 03, 2015, 07:27:11 AM »
I've never really thought of Danny as being the most charismatic of the bunch, but maybe that's just because he was having an off night the most recent time I watched him. He even mentioned it later in the show, thanking the audience for cheering him up after he started the day a bit pissed off (about what, I don't know). That set list is pretty good, but I probably would've been a touch disappointed with the lack of older stuff. Yeah I know, this is what we have to expect at this point. But I'd still hope for One Last Goodbye *at least*.

I still haven't commented on WS. Another good writeup- thanks Ville.

This is my favorite Anathema album of all, though I've somewhat wavered in that in the past year and a half, with Judgement and WHBWH sometimes sneaking ahead of it. After WHBWH, it was the second Anathema album that really possessed me. I attribute at least part of my adoration to the fact that it was playing in my car for about a year and was the soundtrack to a really exciting time in my life. It was, quite simply, the perfect album for me at that time. Particularly in my spiritual and emotional lives.

My favorite song on the album is Internal Landscapes. It's also my single favorite Anathema song, most days; and my favorite song from this world, but not of it. I've cried tears of joy and power to this song and I'll always be thankful for that. Also really, reeaaaallly love the Untouchables, Lightning Song, and The Beginning and the End.

Lastly, having seen most of the album live has had a really strong effect on me, only strengthening my attachment to this album. And another reason I love this album is in its relative commercial success. Normally things like that don't really register for me, but it's helped open the door to so many new Anathema fans and helped Anathema gain some of the exposure which they deserve after all these years.

As a side note, anyone who isn't familiar with Petter Carlsen, mentioned in the writeup, might want to check out some of his stuff. His most recent album (Sirens, released last year), is really nice.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: October 03, 2015, 09:29:24 AM »
I dunno if I can pick my favourite Anathema record, but WS is damn close. It's just megalithic. They were very smart to keep the little cluster of songs written during the 'big break' for this one.

My only gripe is that the suite of Gathering/Lightning/Sunlight/Storm should have opened the record. It's obvious IL is the proper ending but I really don't think the most conventional tunes on the whole record that offer nothing new from the sound established by WHBWH were the best choice to open the record, nor for a single. If you look at almost every other Anathema record, they really make a point to burst out the door going, "here's the new direction." Eternity announces the clear Floyd influence with "Sentient," A4 establishes the morose, moody rock landscape with "Shroud of False," "Pressure" clearly shows the Radiohead influence all over AFDTE, "Harmonium" immediately shows the changed direction of AND, etc. "Untouchable" is, I guarantee, the primary reason people call WS a rehash/sister to WHBWH, even if it's unconscious. WS is an absolutely different style subset and so is DS.

One other point I want to make is that "The Beginning and the End" is potentially the best lead single the band ever released (perhaps rivalling "Deep" though). What a fantastic song and summary of WS!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #229 on: October 03, 2015, 05:11:53 PM »
Yeah, so,this album is awesome.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #230 on: October 03, 2015, 05:25:44 PM »
Yeah, so,this album is awesome.  :tup

It sure is.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #231 on: October 04, 2015, 07:23:46 PM »
It's my favorite album of all and has been for a couple years now and it's largely responsible for making Anathema my current favorite band.

Love that Joseph Geraci story to death.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #232 on: October 07, 2015, 11:52:22 PM »
I wish I could get into this album.

I guess I'll give it another some time soon.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2015, 05:39:57 AM »
Sorry about the lack of updates, I've been really busy lately. I promise we'll get to conclude this series with Distant Satellites tomorrow!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2015, 10:18:26 AM »
Nah- your apologies are no good here. Take them back.

You've done a great job keeping this going and your write-ups have been quite informative. When this started I considered myself quite knowledgeable on Anathema, but you've shown me a whole another level above me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #235 on: October 12, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »
Yes, I think it's gone really well.  Great job!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anathema Discography v. So let it take me away...
« Reply #236 on: October 12, 2015, 11:19:38 AM »
Nah- your apologies are no good here. Take them back.

You've done a great job keeping this going and your write-ups have been quite informative. When this started I considered myself quite knowledgeable on Anathema, but you've shown me a whole another level above me.
Oh, you're being way too kind - thanks! :blush

Distant Satellites (2014)

1. The Lost Song, Part 1
2. The Lost Song, Part 2
3. Dusk (Dark Is Descending)
4. Ariel
5. The Lost Song, Part 3
6. Anathema
7. You're Not Alone
8. Firelight
9. Distant Satellites
10. Take Shelter

Line-up:

Vincent Cavanagh – lead vocals, electric guitars, acoustic guitars, bass guitars, keyboards, programming, backing vocals
Daniel Cavanagh – co-lead vocals, electric guitars, acoustic guitars, bass guitars, keyboards, piano
John Douglas – e-drums, percussion, keyboards, programming
Lee Douglas – lead vocals, co-lead vocals, backing vocals
Daniel Cardoso – drums

Christer-André Cederberg – bass guitar

A year after the release of Weather Systems, Anathema started demoing new material: https://www.metal-rules.com/metalnews/2014/06/02/anathema-interview-with-danny-cavanagh/
Quote from: Danny Cavanagh
[W]e did two sessions; one in Portugal in March 2013 and I lived with those instrumental demos for six months and then in November 2013 I got together with Vinnie and John who are the other creative parts of this band. We basically chose the songs during the November sessions.
According to Danny, "some of the songs are very old such as the last four songs on the album, the rest of the tracks dates back as far as 2011-12. The focus this term was to be more minimalistic, and simply to try and write a great versatile album, to do our best."

The oldest piece on the record is the title-track, the core of which was written around the time of Eternity. It's yet another song that didn't make it onto We're Here Because We're Here, and Lee has stated that its original working title "Voodoo" was inspired by a club that (some of) the band members went to in the 90s. The band's self-titled song, on the other hand, got its name because of its epic and doomy vibe - which reminded Vincent of early Anathema - and because the lyrics are about the band's history. The riff at the end was originally part of another song, but Vincent convinced Danny to add it into "Anathema".

The trilogy "The Lost Song" literally was an attempt by Danny to re-write a song he'd lost a few years earlier when he'd forgotten to put the lock switch on on his digital recorder. Vinnie elaborated on the birth of the three parts: https://www.radiometal.com/en/article/vincent-cavanagh-anathema-sends-his-emotions-into-orbit,151286
It came from Danny (Daniel Cavanagh) trying to remember this song or this riff that he had lost a few years ago. So the only thing he remembered of the old riff was the time’s signature which was in 5/4. So he tried to write another riff and it was not the right one. He was trying to think of a beat for it, so I suggested a drumbeat for this riff. And then Cardoso (Daniel Cardoso) played the beats. And next thing you know, my brother Danny just said “Okay that’s good” and then started playing a brand new thing which ended being “The Lost Song Part 1”. And then immediately after the beats stopped he started playing the part 2, improvising on the spot and it just became that song. We recorded it all and a couple hours later he did part 3 with Cardoso, as well as a jam, with me kind of directing it. It happened really quickly. So three songs came out after Daniel trying to remember what this lost song was, which is why they’re all called “The Lost Song”. [Laughs]

The making of the album wasn't completely smooth, as producer Christer-André Cederberg had to have an operation on his back towards the end of the session. Since the album's deadline was getting closer, Steven Wilson was asked to mix "You're Not Alone" and "Take Shelter". Their schedule was more hectic than usual: Danny wrote the lyrics in the studio, and the band went on a US tour with HIM in the spring of 2014, which meant that the band had to put the finishing touches on the album in a studio in Chicago. In an interview with the Finnish radio channel Radio City earlier this year, Vincent admitted that he's not completely happy with a few songs, because he felt they didn't have enough time to work on them. However, he added that it's a question of taste, and that the band can take the liberty of changing the songs on stage, as they've done with the ending of "The Lost Song, Part 3".

Believe it or not, the artwork was discovered on Google!
Quote from:  Danny Cavanagh
It’s pictures from the instillation, I just typed it into google saw some stuff and I was with John and the I typed in “Distant light” into google, this was from John’s recommendation and on the first page of google images was his image. Clicked on it and John immediately fell in love with it. Emailed the guy that night and he replied the same night that the art work was on it’s way and there it was and they are all images based on a installation he made in New York I don’t know if it’s still there, simply that.
You can see pictures and a video of Sang Jun Yoo's installation here: https://www.startinmylife.net/distant-light-exhibition/

The album title itself was described by Vincent like this:
The actual album name, Distant Satellites, is about people in your life; those people that you know. It’s about yourself and how you’re a distant satellite to people in your life and how occasionally your orbits will cross but ultimately you’ll have to keep going and for this band particularly we are satellites to each other and we orbit around the music.

Compared to its precedessors, Distant Satellites is more minimalistic and gets more electronic and experimental in its second half. Also, on this album John Douglas switched to electronic percussions and pads, while the drumming was handled by Daniel Cardoso, who had become a full-time member of Anathema during the Weather Systems tour.
While the minimalism of Distant Satellites may have been a conscious choice, the album turned out darker than the band had expected: https://www.prog-sphere.com/interviews/anathema-interview/
It’s certainly darker. I think a lot of the songs, in fact all of the songs practically are in the minor key. So that was the reason. But the thing was we didn’t even realize until we finished the record. When we finished the record we played it to a couple of people and they were like “Fuck me! It’s good. You know, it’s dark. It’s fucking dark, this album.” And we were like “Is it? Ah shit, I guess you’re right. Okay, we made a dark album.” [laughs]

For me, Distant Satellites is a step up from Weather Systems: it's more dynamic and I dig the less heavily layered instrumentation and the darker vibe. It doesn't reach the brilliance of Anathema's best works, but the highlights are easily among the band's greatest songs, and the experimentation gives the record a shade of freshness, though there's plenty of familiarity in the first half. The album doesn't sound rushed, although it was done with a tight schedule. It'll be interesting to see whether Anathema will further explore the electronic path or if they have something different in store for us listeners!

Full review: https://echotester.blogspot.com/2015/10/anathema-discography-14-distant.html

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #237 on: October 12, 2015, 11:46:32 AM »
A step up from WS but not as good as WHBWH. Overall, a good addition to the most recent trilogy of albums though. :) I really dig most of the album, but I think "You're Not Alone" feels a bit more like a B-Side maybe. I know people complain about Get Off, Get Out on WHBWH and how it feels very SW, I have that problem with You're Not Alone instead.

The Lost Song suite is amazing, the title track is really good, Anathema is definitely a stand out and I would say a classic song from them. Overall a nice album. :)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #238 on: October 12, 2015, 12:50:57 PM »
The title track and Take Shelter are both fantastic, and I've said in the past that if the rest of the album were like those songs I might have been more into it. The rest of the album is okay, but nothing all that remarkable. I think they should have done more with the electronic sound, as it's only featured at the very end of the album and feels more like a brief sample of what could have been than anything.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: October 12, 2015, 12:58:20 PM »
A significant step down from Weather Systems for me, but I spinned it only a five or so times. I really like The Lost Song, Anathema and Ariel.

I would be alright with never hearing the title track again, I dislike it a lot. They played it live, the first song in the encore, and it was really meh, even with Vincent on that big drum. Thankfully they followed it with incredible A Natural Disaster (the song).

You're Not Alone definitely has this SW feeling, in my opinion.

I had a great time following this thread and discovering Anathema, thank you Ville! This was probably the first discography thread I managed to follow from beginning to the end. Awesome job!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: October 12, 2015, 01:24:18 PM »
I honestly didn't expect them to top WS. And they didn't. But I love this record anyways, lots of great songs - dunno what you're talking about Ev, Distant Satellites is a fantastic track  :loser:

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #241 on: October 12, 2015, 01:41:28 PM »
Love this album, it's great. My only problem with it is The Lost Song. As a whole, it's hard not to compare the song to the Untouchable duo on WS, especially since both have part 1 and 2 as the album openers, both have a strong build up in the first part and a mellow-dramatic second part and the themes in the parts are the same. When I compare these two, I have to say I think Untouchable is way better, even though The Lost Song is still good. Of course, it shouldn't really matter, but I'm sort of bummered that I always have to think of Untouchable when I hear the Lost Song because of their similarities.

Secondly, I think The Lost Song part 3 is by far the weakest song on the album. I didn't really like it when they released it as a single before the album was released. I do like it in the flow of the album, but I wouldn't have minded if they'd left it out.

Firelight into the title track though, wow. That may be my favourite Anathema one-two-punch. I would argue that the title track is one of the best songs Anathema have ever recorded. I also love the combination of electronics and drums on that one.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: October 18, 2015, 12:44:12 PM »
:bump:

Now that we've talked about each studio release, I've added a poll where you can vote for your favorite full-length Anathema album. You can also post album rankings, top 10 song lists, etc. if you like, and of course you can still post your thoughts on the album(s) that you hadn't listened to yet - to quote Vincent, "it's never too laaateee!" :D

My album ranking:

1. Alternative 4
2. Judgement
3. We're Here Because We're Here
4. A Fine Day to Exit
5. The Silent Enigma
6. Distant Satellites
7. Weather Systems
8. A Natural Disaster
9. Serenades
10. Eternity

Since we did the "top 10 songs from the 90s" lists when we were halfway through the discography, here's my top 10 Anathema songs from the new millennium (chronologically):

Release
A Fine Day to Exit
Summernight Horizon
Dreaming Light
Angels Walk Among Us
A Simple Mistake
Untouchable 1&2 (cheating, I know :P)
The Lost Song 1&2 (ditto)
Anathema
Distant Satellites

Thanks to everyone for following and posting here, as well as for the feedback! :) All the positive comments made it a pleasure to keep this thread going, even when I was facing other tasks in my busy student's life. It took a little longer to get to this point than I'd expected, but we moved at a pretty good pace, I think.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #243 on: October 18, 2015, 12:52:15 PM »
i super dig the last two tracks on Distant Satellites but even a dozen or so spins later, don't ask me what any of the other songs on the album sound like  :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #244 on: October 18, 2015, 02:08:26 PM »
I never commented on the DS post, was super busy last week, but I will say that it's a good album. Not nearly as good as the previous two, for me, but still ended up being one of my favorites from last year (testament to how much I adore Anathema, and how consistent their discography is.

My album ranking look something like this...

WS
WHBWH
Judgement
Eternity
Alternative 4
Natural Disaster
A Fine Day to Exit
Serenades
Distant Satellites
Silent Enigma

2-5 are always battling for spots, as are 6-9. Only my favorite and least favorite seem stable at this point.