0 (0%)
We're Here Because We're Here
4 (26.7%)
Weather Systems
6 (40%)
Distant Satellites
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Anathema Discography v. So let it take me away...  (Read 21917 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Anathema Discography v. It's been a long cold winter
« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2015, 02:35:27 PM »
Aaaand now I can't unsee it! :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2015, 05:16:14 AM »
Just listened to it.

I understand what is meant about some of the tracks feeling incomplete, but I enjoyed the hell out of this album.  I also agree that the whole is greater than the parts.  Some of the individual tracks may not be awesome on their own, but within the context of the album, everything works together beautifully.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2015, 10:49:15 AM »
Gave a few listens to A Natural Disaster and I didn't really enjoy it. I liked Are You There and title track, and Flying was also alright, but other than that, meh. I went back and listened to Alternative 4, and I've got to say, Alternative 4 is superior in every way for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anathema Discography v. Always remembering
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2015, 12:04:33 PM »
Nice timing, Evermind - I was just about to post that we're moving on to the next release! :lol

Hindsight (2008)

1. Fragile Dreams
2. Leave No Trace
3. Inner Silence
4. One Last Goodbye
5. Are You There?
6. Angelica
7. A Natural Disaster
8. Temporary Peace
9. Flying
10. Unchained (Tales of the Unexpected)

Line-up:

Jamie Cavanagh - bass guitar
Les Smith - keyboards
Danny Cavanagh - guitar, vocals, keyboards
Vincent Cavanagh - vocals, guitar
John Douglas - drums

Lee Douglas - vocals
David Wesling - cello
Duncan Patterson - mandolin

After A Natural Disaster, Music for Nations was shut down, and as a result Anathema found itself without a record deal and management. The band continued to write new music and look for a new label, but they couldn't seem to find the right people to work with: according to Danny, most of the offers came from metal labels, so the band decided to wait. Other obstacles, such as John Douglas' injury, also slowed them down. However, Anathema continued to play live and tour with bands like Porcupine Tree: the 2005-2008 period was arguably the most interesting in the band's live history, as they dug up old songs like Regret, Anyone Anywhere and Lost Control, and premiered a lot of the new material they'd been working on.

Amidst all the hassle, Anathema finally managed to fulfil their dream of releasing an acoustic album, which had been in talks ever since late 90s. Hindsight was released in 2008 by Kscope, which would become the band's label permanently in later years. Danny said they'd use the money to finance the recording of the next album, but Vincent stated that there were more reasons why the timing was right for this kind of release:
After we met Dave the cello player, me, Danny and Dave did a tour. The songs sounded fantastic with the cello, so it was great experience and it just made perfect sense to us to do that at that time. When we think about it now, it’s the biggest crossroads that the band’s ever faced, it’s the biggest challenge and the biggest step forward that we’ve ever taken from the last album to this next one. So it was logically the moment to reflect and to say “ok, here’s where we were, we can see these songs in a different light and then just move on”. We won’t do it again.
In addition to cellist David Wesling, ex-member Duncan Patterson made a guest appearance, playing mandolin on the album. Danny also played a lot of his leads with an Ebow. Besides rearranged classics from 1996-2003, Hindsight includes one previously unreleased song, "Unchained (Tales of the Unexpected)".

Even though Hindsight isn't an essential release by any means, it's not a complete waste of money, as the versions of "Are You There?" and "Angelica" are so good that I never listen to the originals anymore. Hindsight also works as the closure of a chapter in the band's career, before they moved on to the sound they're known for these days.

Full review: https://echotester.blogspot.com/2015/09/anathema-discography-10-hindsight-2008.html

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2015, 12:07:09 PM »
Never even heard about this release. Guess I need to check it out, I usually like acoustic albums.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2015, 12:07:58 PM »
Hindsight is pretty good, but I didn't really end up enjoying the new versions that much compared to the originals. If anything, I think Falling Deeper gave more of a different and unique vibe to the songs on it, than Hindsight did.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2015, 12:44:45 PM »
I really like Hindsight, but most versions aren't quite as good as the originals, though it's interesting to hear different versions of the song.
There's one big exception though: Flying. That tremolo solo is so absolutely gorgeous, the first time I heard it is probably the closest I've ever come to a musical orgasm. Seriously, I was just doing something else besides listening to the album for the first time and then the solo came on and I just completely forgot the world around me and had shivers all over my body and that kind of butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling you get when you see someone you're in love with. One of the most memorable experiences I ever had while listening to music.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2015, 08:49:01 AM »
I love Hindsight. Fragile Dreams is amazing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2015, 08:53:27 AM »
Hindsight is fantastic. Not quite as interesting as Falling Deeper, in terms of alterations, but still a really strong release for me. Between Temporary Peace, Angelica, Inner Silence and One Last Goodbye they've got four of my five favorite pre-WHBWH songs (speaking of which, I'm really excited to see how Temporary Peace looks and sounds in the new DVD/Blu-ray). The rest are really nice as well.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2015, 10:06:20 AM »
By far the definitive versions of "Angelica" and AYT. I like the rest as well, but songs like OLG, AND and TP couldn't possibly hold a candle to the originals – they are great alternatives but lack the crystallized emotion and impact the full arrangements provide. FD is about equal to the original though, I'd say!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2015, 04:30:32 PM »
I've had a great deal of paperwork today so it's allowed me to start getting caught up on this thread. I binge listened to The Silent Enigma, Eternity, Alternative 4, Judgement. What a journey!

So far I'd have to say that Alternative 4 was my fav...although it was so damned depressing that I considered listening to The Wall as a pick me up.

Hopefully I can find the time to catch up the rest of the way. Thanks for the posts ?...I've been reading your posts as I start each album. Terrific job!  :tup
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2015, 01:22:36 PM »
For some reason, never got around this one. Until now. DAMN. The arrangements are amazing, and hold up to the originals quite well, even surpassing a few ones. Fantastic.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #187 on: September 14, 2015, 02:03:04 PM »
First time I had listened to Hindsight.

I really enjoyed it!  Great arrangements, and the acoustic layout really showed how great the compositions really are.   :tup :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anathema Discography v. This is who we are
« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2015, 11:48:19 AM »
Nice to see some love for Hindsight - as I said in my post, it's not a pointless release! :tup
Thanks for the posts ?...I've been reading your posts as I start each album. Terrific job!  :tup
Thanks! :)

Now we're finally getting to the era that should be familiar to most of you:

We're Here Because We're Here (2010)

1. Thin Air
2. Summernight Horizon
3. Dreaming Light
4. Everything
5. Angels Walk Among Us
6. Presence
7. A Simple Mistake
8. Get off, Get Out
9. Universal
10. Hindsight

Line-up:

Daniel Cavanagh — guitar, piano, keyboards, vocals
Jamie Cavanagh — bass guitar
Vincent Cavanagh — vocals, guitar
John Douglas — percussion, drums, keyboards, guitars
Lee Douglas — vocals
Les Smith — keyboards

Ville Valo — backing vocals on "Angels Walk Among Us"
Stan Ambrose — spoken word on "Presence"
Maren Svenning — narration on "Hindsight"

As mentioned in the write-up for Hindsight, several struggles kept Anathema from releasing a new album for many years. The seeds for WHBWH were sown in 2005, when the band released three songs - "Everything", "A Simple Mistake" and "Angels Walk Among Us" (including "Presence") - on a "pay what you want" basis. The first tracklist for the album was already announced in December 2006, when the working title was still Everything: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/anathema-new-album-title-track-listing-revealed/
01. Thin Air (Ann Further)
02. Bricks (working title)
03. Lightning Song
04. Sunlight
05. Get Off. Get Out. (working title)
06. Angels Walk Among Us
07. Everything
08. A Simple Mistake
09. Voodoo (working title)
10. No One Is Free (working title)
11. Paradigm Shift
12. Hindsight
However, the album went through several other working titles, such as Paradigm Shift and Horizons, and several songs were dropped when new ones came along. Some of these rejected numbers would eventually appear on the subsequent two albums.

The album finally saw the light of day in 2010, when Kscope released We're Here Because We're Here. According to Danny, the band was happy with the work the label did for Hindsight, and hence decided to continue working with them: https://www.femmemetalwebzine.net/2012/06/10/interview-danny-cavanagh-anathema/
Quote from: Danny Cavanagh
Why did we choose KScope Records? Well, they are very good and they believe in us very much and they wanted it more than anybody else did. They were really keen to have our record, and they wanted it for many years. We saw that, with the work they did on “Hindsight”, they are actually quite good. They do things properly and they don’t spend a fortune. They don’t spend quite a lot of money wastefully. Our manager — we have a manager now — he recommends we take this and we did. We were not the kind of band at that time that could attract a much bigger label, so we went with that one. We are happy and I am happy that we did.

The album title was taken from a song sung in the Allied trenches of World War I. Vincent explained it as follows: https://www.reflectionsofdarkness.com/artists-a-e-interviews-85/7682-anathema-june-2010
Quote from: Vincent Cavanagh
It is a celebration of life in defiance of death, of triumph over adversity. Of brotherhood, sisterhood, of solidarity. It is a rallying-call. “Come on dear friends, to the barricades again! “ Ultimately it is about us. The members of this band. The brothers and sister that have stayed true to each other for all of our lives, for good or ill.

WHBWH was mixed by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree, whom the band had toured with in 2007. Ville Valo of the Finnish band HIM - who had also been supported by Anathema on tour back in 2006 - sings subtle backing vocals on "Angels Walk Among Us". Regarding his contribution, Vincent said: https://www.heartagram.it/english/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1222:anathema-were-here-because-were-here&catid=65&Itemid=70
We asked him “would you try to add something to the backing vocals, he agreed, very kindly wanted to retain the integrity of the lyric and the very personal nature of the lyric by just adding a kind of almost keyboard-like vocal effect in the background really...
And he was easy to work with because he just recorded it at home, you know, in his own home studio and he just gave us the files. “Ok guys” he said “ listen, you can do with it what you will. I just had fun doing it and I really enjoyed it, so...” You know, he didn’t ask anything for it. He’s just a great guy.
"Presence" includes a quote from Stillness Speaks by Eckhard Tolle: "Death is not the opposite of life. Life has no opposite. The opposite of death is birth. Life is eternal…" It was recited by Stan Ambrose, who had been interviewed by Danny:
He is a very beautiful person, he’s a musician and a radio presenter. He was involved in counselling for a long time and he is a local activist. Just a gentleman who many people like… many people like this man. He is very humble, very kind and we became friends. We started to talk about spiritual things and the essence of life and these things. He’s always been interested in those things, interested in mediation and all that stuff. So I interviewed him actually in the Cathedral — in Liverpool Cathedral I interviewed him – and he began talking about a book by Eckhart Tolle, who is a spiritual writer, a very successful spiritual writer whose message of stillness is making an impact around the world. Stan is a person who is very much interested in these things and very sincere. When he spoke to me about this, he almost had a tear in his eye. I made the interview with him, and it just seemed to fit with the song, “Presence”. Also, the fact is that he is talking a little bit about the possibility of life beyond death and I know that he was thinking about that. And that relates directly to “Angels Walk Among Us”, which is also asking that question.

Musically, WHBWH is the start of a new chapter: the sound is characterized by orchestral arrangements, a heavy dose of piano, Lee Douglas' greater vocal presence, Danny's E-bow leads, occasional rhythmic experimentation, as well as post-rockish song structures that start out soft and build up to a climax. The album has a more optimistic tone than any of Anathema's previous releases, which stems from the positive changes in the band members' lives, especially Danny's: https://getreadytorock.me.uk/blog/2013/09/interview-with-daniel-cavanagh-anathemaleafblade-25-july-2013/
It was back in 2005 that I got some much needed help from a personal therapist. It was only a few sessions that I did but they were very beautiful with regards opening up my mind, releasing all past negativity and look forwards to the then present. That was very, very powerful stuff and, when that happened, my mind opened up to a new way of creativity and my lifestyle changed for the better.

Things got easier and more emotional but in a way different from what I was used to – more life-affirming, more positive. That happened in 2005, following which we got together and wrote the song “Thin Air”, with “Dreaming Light” coming together a year or two after. This was the beginning of the rebirth of Anathema!
"Angels Walk Among Us" is a sequel to "Angelica", while "Dreaming Light" is about Danny's daughter.

We're Here Because We're Here is by far the most cohesive and complete Anathema album since Judgement. Years of hard work paid off, and the resulting record is lively and diverse. It's not an absolute 10 like Alternative 4 and Judgement, but Anathema found its own identity and signature sound on this euphoric rebirth of an album, and it set the standards for the subsequent records.

Full review: https://echotester.blogspot.com/2015/09/anathema-discography-11-were-here.html

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2015, 12:44:18 PM »
The only song I don't dig quite much here is Get off, Get Out, but that one aside, it's a wonderful record  :heart

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2015, 01:34:36 PM »
Great reviews :tup
WHBWH is with WS my favorite album by Anathema. Even though I usually prefer darker music I absolutely adore this album. It's much lighter than previous albums but, to me, this one make me feel like I'm at the end of dark events in my life and I just can't believe I'm alive. It's like a first ray of sunshine after rain. I know it sounds cheesy but that's how I feel about it :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2015, 02:05:40 PM »
This album was the first thing from Anathema I heard. Pretty great album, but I think it's a bit overrated. I can see why people love it so much, but I just never quite made that personal connection with it that so many others have.

Weather Systems, on the other hand... Well, we'll get to that when we get to that.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Onno

« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2015, 02:22:48 PM »
One of my favourite, if not my absolute favourite, Anathema album. And it was the first Anathema I heard to. Just glorious.

This album was the first thing from Anathema I heard. Pretty great album, but I think it's a bit overrated. I can see why people love it so much, but I just never quite made that personal connection with it that so many others have.

Weather Systems, on the other hand... Well, we'll get to that when we get to that.
I sort of had the same. When I heard this album for the first time, I was blown away. When I heard WS for the first time, I was blown away even more. Yet I think I might like WHBWH a tiny bit more.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2015, 02:25:12 PM »
Amazing album and their best together with Judgement. You could tell they took 7 years to make it, and the quality really shines through. Universal - their best song, Thin Air - their best opener, and Hindsight might just be their best closer. In between you have a crazy good tracklist.

It's almost a shame that WHBWH was so good, because WS and DS in contrast were not close to reaching that same level, but it's nice to know that Anathema returned out of their shadows and took an opportunity. Considering PT had met their demise already at the release, WHBWH really managed to launch Anathema from the shadows right into that "frontrunner" of new progressive rock, and in many ways I think they filled the void that PT left behind.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #194 on: September 18, 2015, 04:20:36 AM »
Meh. Pretty boring record imo.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #195 on: September 18, 2015, 11:37:21 AM »
Angels Walk Among Us is heavenly.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: September 18, 2015, 11:54:21 AM »

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: September 18, 2015, 12:24:38 PM »
There's a real unsung hero on this album, and that is "Summernight Horizon." Definitely a top 5 song for me – so intense!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: September 18, 2015, 12:28:03 PM »
There's a real unsung hero on this album, and that is "Summernight Horizon." Definitely a top 5 song for me – so intense!

A really great song. Definitely in my top5 of the album together with Universal, Thin Air, Hindsight and A Simple Mistake.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #199 on: September 18, 2015, 12:46:28 PM »
This is something minor- a bit of a pet peeve- but I'd rather artists not reveal too many details about a song and its origins. Dreaming Light, in this case. It's one of the beautiful things about music, for me, that people can make of the lyrics what they will despite a wide variety of interpretations. Now that I know the song is about his daughter, it kind of breaks the spell for me. Are other people bothered by this kind of thing?

Anyways, this is a top 3-5 Anathema album for me, depending on the day. Also the first one I got and first one I really fell in love with. I'm a big fan of the use of samples on this album, among other things. Not a bad song on the album for me, but I'd probably rank the songs like this...

Dreaming Light
Universal
Thin Air
----------------
Angels Walk Among Us/Presence
Hindsight
Everything
----------------
A Simple Mistake
Get off, Get Out
Summernight Horizon

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #200 on: September 19, 2015, 04:40:43 AM »

A really great song. Definitely in my top5 of the album together with Universal, Thin Air, Hindsight and A Simple Mistake.
I'll agree with all of this, for sure.

Great, great album.  This was my first exposure to Anathema, and definitely one of my favorite albums by the band.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #201 on: September 19, 2015, 10:59:37 AM »
I wanted to write my favorite song of this album but I'd must say almost all of them :lol:
Seriously, Thin Air and Dreaming Light are among my all time favorite songs. I listen to those every day or every few days and they never get old.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Onno

« Reply #202 on: September 19, 2015, 11:58:14 AM »
I just remembered something. Back in April, I hadn't listen to WHBWH for a very long time. Back then I had a job preparing kids in high school for their final exams. I had to teach a Maths class in Rotterdam, which meant getting up at 6:15 every day to catch my train. After not having to get up early for a good few months I had to get used to that, so every morning in the train I was basically just staring out of the window while trying to stay awake. On one of the first days, I put on WHBWH as the train started moving. I sat and watched the sun rise while I listened to that album. That was amazing.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: September 23, 2015, 11:31:32 AM »
Great reviews :tup
Thank you! :D
This is something minor- a bit of a pet peeve- but I'd rather artists not reveal too many details about a song and its origins. Dreaming Light, in this case. It's one of the beautiful things about music, for me, that people can make of the lyrics what they will despite a wide variety of interpretations. Now that I know the song is about his daughter, it kind of breaks the spell for me. Are other people bothered by this kind of thing?
Blame it on Vinnie - he let the cat out of the bag! :lol I've only seen Danny comment that DL was influenced by "Norway and the most beautiful girl in the world".

But seriously, I've never had that kind of problem, because the beauty of lyrics (and poetry in general) is that they can be interpreted in numerous ways. Even if the writer has had a specific idea in mind, you can come up with a different meaning if you like. In fact, finding out what was going on inside the artist's head while writing can help me appreciate the song more.
I just remembered something. Back in April, I hadn't listen to WHBWH for a very long time. Back then I had a job preparing kids in high school for their final exams. I had to teach a Maths class in Rotterdam, which meant getting up at 6:15 every day to catch my train. After not having to get up early for a good few months I had to get used to that, so every morning in the train I was basically just staring out of the window while trying to stay awake. On one of the first days, I put on WHBWH as the train started moving. I sat and watched the sun rise while I listened to that album. That was amazing.
Awesome story, Onno! :tup I've had some magical listening experiences like that too.

I'll post the write-up for Falling Deeper on Friday, so those who haven't listened to WHBWH yet still have two days to do so.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: September 23, 2015, 11:48:24 AM »
I've never had that kind of problem, because the beauty of lyrics (and poetry in general) is that they can be interpreted in numerous ways. Even if the writer has had a specific idea in mind, you can come up with a different meaning if you like.

As long as it's based in the text! Subjective as it is, one can be wrong still – if you think "Dreaming Light" is about killing a horse, there's just no way that can be valid.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2015, 05:16:10 AM »
You both make fair points.

Another example of what I'm talking about is Anyone, Anywhere. Used to love that song... And then I heard the band ragging on it.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anathema Discography v. Beauty is endless
« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2015, 10:46:30 AM »
Falling Deeper (2011)

1. Crestfallen
2. Sleep in Sanity
3. Kingdom
4. They Die
5. Everwake
6. J'ai Fait une Promesse
7. ...Alone
8. We, the Gods
9. Sunset of Age

Line-up:

Daniel Cavanagh – guitars
Jamie Cavanagh – bass
Vincent Cavanagh – vocals, guitars, keyboards
John Douglas – drums
Lee Douglas – vocals

Anneke van Giersbergen – vocals on "Everwake" and "...Alone"

After coming back with a bang on We're Here Because We're Here, Anathema made a follow-up to Hindsight by reimagining its early material with orchestral arrangements and piano. At first the idea was to record just a few tracks for the Dreaming Light EP: https://www.thrashhits.com/2011/03/interview-anathema-danny-cavanagh-on-inspiration-evolution-and-being-awesome/
There’s a release coming out called the Dreaming Light EP with at least 17 minutes of material originally recorded between 1992 and 1994. Songs like ‘Kingdom’, ‘Sleep In Sanity’ and ‘We, The Gods’ re-recorded with a full orchestra and grand piano, so that’s gonna be really nice. I don’t know exactly what might happen with the release as yet, things can change. It might not necessarily be an EP, it could extend into being an album.”

However, the release ended up being a 38-minute album. Danny described Falling Deeper as “a nod to our past and a look to our future all at the same time, with a sound that is designed to transport you to the heart of the present moment.” Danny's friend Anneke van Giersbergen (ex-The Gathering), who has played several acoustic duo gigs with him, makes a guest appearance on two of the tracks.

Not surprisingly, some stubborn metalheads weren't thrilled with the release and thought of it as a cash grab and an insult to the band's roots, but according to Vincent they got it wrong: https://crypticrock.com/interview-vincent-cavanagh-of-anathema/
There was another misconception with that as well, some people thought we were changing our roots.  They were misunderstanding it,  what we were doing was actually paying tribute to the music we did back then because we still love it.  We still like the melodies and everything we did with it, but this time we are doing it with an orchestra.  Guess what, it was going to be dead expense, a lot of hard work, and it probably will not sell very well, so it may not even make any money for us.  We did not give a fuck, we might have lost money on it, but that was not the point, that is not why we did it.

I was mildly disappointed by Falling Deeper initially, but I've learned to appreciate it as is, though I still think there's room for improvement. The short length of the release is totally understandable, because hiring a string orchestra isn't exactly cheap, but at least one of the ballads could've been replaced with another rearranged doom metal song, such as "Under a Veil (of Black Lace)" or "Shroud of Frost". However, if you throw out all your expectations and notions of what the album should've been like, and just give it a spin without thinking too much, it's an enjoyable and relaxing listen. It's got beautiful arrangements on it and demonstrates that despite all the stylistic changes, the essence of Anathema's music has never changed.

Full review: https://echotester.blogspot.com/2015/09/anathema-discography-12-falling-deeper.html

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2015, 03:04:33 PM »
The only part I dislike about FD is that "We, the Gods" is only based on the first part of the original song. The second part has that killer melody in the bridge that would've been magnificent on piano!

Otherwise, I think it's pretty clear this album is entirely worth listening to because of the absolutely definitive recording of "Sunset of Age." Dat orchestra/guitar unison! Goddamn.

I had an audio engineering teacher who insisted the strings were fake on this album. Anyone agree with him?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #208 on: September 25, 2015, 04:46:39 PM »
Falling Deeper is a nice listen. Good melodies and some catchy songs, even if some like Sunset of Age doesn't come close to the original. The first half or so is really strong though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #209 on: September 26, 2015, 05:30:31 PM »
I don't mean to interrupt, but I'm standing in a cd shop trying to decide between Ayreon Theory of everything, and an Anathema boxed set with Judgement, A Fine Day to Exit and A Natural Disaster. It also has a live DVD. Are these some of Anathemas better material?

EDIT:  I ended up buying it.  Never heard any of this stuff before.  I've only heard snippets of Weather Systems and The Silent Enigma (talk about two ends of the spectrum)   

Tell you what I think of this middle stuff later.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 07:44:11 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude