0 (0%)
We're Here Because We're Here
4 (26.7%)
Weather Systems
6 (40%)
Distant Satellites
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Anathema Discography v. So let it take me away...  (Read 22063 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anathema Discography v. As ye sow, so shall ye weep
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2015, 05:26:09 AM »
Finally listened to Judgement. Well, it was alright, but I liked Alternative 4 a lot more. My favourite song was probably One Last Goodbye or Forgotten Hopes. All four songs in the beginning are alright though. I also liked Emotional Winter. All in all, I don't think I'll be revisiting this one often. Looking forward to the next one.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2015, 09:54:23 AM »
You know, I used to think that way, and it grew a fucking lot. It took some time tho. Can't believe I didn't notice the amazing solo on Pitiless before the 6th listen or so :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2015, 07:09:43 AM »
You know, I used to think that way, and it grew a fucking lot. It took some time tho. Can't believe I didn't notice the amazing solo on Pitiless before the 6th listen or so :lol
Speaking of that, I didn't realize the bridge in Pitiless and the verses in Forgotten Hopes share the same guitar melody until last week when I listened to the album because of this thread. :blush

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2015, 10:53:56 AM »
Speaking of that, I didn't realize the bridge in Pitiless and the verses in Forgotten Hopes share the same guitar melody until last week when I listened to the album because of this thread. :blush

Even though "Deep" segues directly, I think the actual 'Judgement Suite' is just "Pitiless"/"Forgotten Hopes"/"Destiny is Dead." They are held together much more directly than the guitar resonance holding "Deep" with them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2015, 05:45:52 AM »
Just finished my listen of Judgement

Wow, that was fantastic.  As far as I'm concerned, these are just getting better and better.

I realize that continued listening may change that opinion.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »
Great to hear you liked it! :tup

I'll post the write-up for AFDTE tomorrow...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2015, 10:42:49 AM »
:caffeine:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anathema Discography v. Somewhere in the hurricane
« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2015, 12:14:31 PM »
A Fine Day to Exit (2001)

1. Pressure
2. Release
3. Looking Outside Inside
4. Leave No Trace
5. Underworld
6. Barriers
7. Panic
8. A Fine Day to Exit
9. Temporary Peace

Reissue:

1. A Fine Day
2. Release
3. Leave No Trace
4. Underworld
5. Pressure
6. Panic
7. Breaking Down the Barriers
8. Looking Outside Inside
9. A Fine Day to Exit
10. Temporary Peace

Line-up:

Vincent Cavanagh - vocals, guitars
John Douglas - drums
Dave Pybus - bass
Les Smith - keyboards, programming
Danny Cavanagh - guitars, keyboards, backing vocals

Lee Douglas - vocals

After Judgement, Anathema became a five-piece (again) with the addition of keyboardist Les Smith, who joined the band as a full-time member. In a recent interview with Drowned in Sound, Vincent described Les' often overlooked role in the band:
He'd played with us a bit before, and he'd been in Ship of Fools - who were this fantastic psychedelic band - and he had a lot of experience in the industry too which was really calming and helpful for us. He became our de facto manager really for the next ten years or so.
However, this line-up didn't last long, as Dave Pybus quit the band to "play headbanging things" and join Cradle of Filth during the making of the new album. According to Vincent, Dave was spending more time with his girlfriend than with the band around the time of the recording, so in hindsight his departure wasn't a shock. However, Danny had less nice things to say about him in 2002: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/daniel-cavanagh-to-rejoin-anathema/
Dave is a little weasel (to quote a member of CRADLE OF FILTH). who used ANATHEMA completely for his own ends. He spent 5 (five!) days in the studio during the entire time of the A Fine Day To Exit sessions (3 months altogether) he only did this for his own advantage, and he was really pissed off that he didn't get the same publishing royalties (songwriter's money) as the rest of the band, even though he stopped Duncan being paid, even though he hated us anyway, he never wanted Les to join the band, he never really liked any of the songs from the band (he pretended to like Judgement), he refused to write songs or become truly involved in the process, he would spread sh.t about ANATHEMA on the net, pretendind to be Vinny in the chat room on occasion! And he constantly complained about being in a band with bastards! And to top all this off, Vinny was begging him not to leave (at first), and didn't even want his own brother Jamie (genuine, talented, understanding bloke) to play in the band (at first, he has understood since then). Some people have no clue about what has actually been happening, and this includes some band members!

Musically, A Fine Day to Exit is a step in the direction of alternative rock, and the album drew comparisons to Radiohead - just when the band was starting to shake off the Pink Floyd comparisons! :lol Lee Douglas made her second appearance on an Anathema album, this time on two songs: "Barriers" and "Temporary Peace" - Danny also debuted as a lead singer on the former. The album title was an accident of sorts: https://web.archive.org/web/20041120192120/https://digitalmetal.com/interviews.asp?iID=1813&page=4
Quote from: Vincent Cavanagh
It became the title of the album; it was a working title. The riff John wrote on that song reminded him of "A Fine Day to Die" by Bathory and "Exit Music" by Radiohead. It's two completely different styles. The Bathory was the clean guitar thing and the way the drums come in reminded him of "Exit Music." It was a working title just so we'd remember which riff we were talking about; it was called "A Fine Day to Exit." It's only afterwards that when things started to tie in with it.
The lyrics of the up-tempo track "Panic", which has often been played right after "Judgement" in concerts, were born with an unusual method:
"Panic," for one, was difficult, 'cause it was a departure. It has that big, fast punk riff. I was going to write some words for it, but I was busy trying to finish the words to my own song. It turned out John [Douglas] came up with this completely original idea, inspired by the Beater bands, which has nothing to do with punk. [laughs] He just took it and wrote these mad words that rhythmically fit with the music. The first time I read them and he was singing them to me it made me laugh. It was brilliant - I enjoyed singing it. It's a great pick-me-up on the record. It all happened in the studio: we still needed a chorus and I wrote one. But, John wrote one that was better, so we used it.
"Looking Outside Inside", on the other hand, was based on a 5-year-old guitar melody, and Vincent improvised the wordless vocals at the end.

The hidden track at the end of "Temporary Peace" serves as comic relief: https://www.examiner.com/article/exclusive-interview-with-vincent-cavanagh-of-anathema-part-i
After the song “Temporary Peace,” John wanted to record some of his own poetry, so he took a recorder out in the snow and walked along the English countryside, on the south coast. He walked across cliffs reciting his own poetry to himself, into the recorder, and he’d recall memories of going out to the club at 3 a.m., out of his mind in a way. All of that wound up being a composite at the end of the album just for humor.

You hear the sound of a beach and the way we tied it in is that there’s the guy who’s gone completely mad in the artwork – that’s John. It’s like he’s come back from faking his own death and instead of walking into the water, he leaves all of stuff behind and wonders off for a new life. He’s rambling on because he’s completely crazy.
The acoustic piece was also John Douglas' idea:
It's Dog House. It's John singing a song we recorded in the rehearsal room in Liverpool and we decided to put it on the album, we like it, because of the lyrics, they're funny. Imagine like a farmer who told too many lies in his life and the last one have been found out by his wife, so she kicks him out. So he's got a bag and his guitar and he walks off, down the path, he don't even know where. So he just sits on the wall, takes his guitar, stares at the dog. And he just start singing this song. That's what John meant with this song.

A video was made for "Pressure" and the song was going to be released as a single, but the release was scrapped: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/anathema-cancel-single-plans-to-issue-live-dvd-in-april/
According to an official statement by Music For Nations Records press officer Doug Wright, Pressure was withdrawn as a single because: 1) MTV did not like the video and therefore would not play it, 2) The majority of radio stations, although they are finally getting into the band, felt that 'Pressure' was just too slow to be played on the radio, and 3) Without support at radio and TV, it is impossible to get singles into the shops, which would mean that you would all be frustrated by not being able to find it anywhere. As to the future, we have not given up, as we all believe this band will be huge. Therefore we will be going with a new single, 'Underworld', at the very end of April, which is to be released simultaneously with a DVD of their recent live performance in Greece. Believe me, we expected 'Pressure' to be a hit, otherwise we would not have scheduled it for release, however you just never know until it is presented to radio and TV.
However, the "Underworld" single never saw the light of day, either, and Danny has later said he thought "Panic" should've been the single.

According to Vincent, the band had bigger video-related plans:
We were going to do a short film about that too actually. A guy who leaves his entire life behind because he’s messed up so much but instead of killing himself, he fakes his own suicide and then starts a new life. This stuff does happen, you know? He’s a novel guy and we proposed a fifteen minute film to the record company and they, well, politely told us “no.’ Then they made the video for “Pressure,” which was basically our idea but done in a really bad way ... And it’s not to say that they did a bad job; they did an adequate job and an adequate video, but I can’t watch that now because it reminds me of what could have been. It reminds me of how clunky and rough it is. We have incredible ideas for visuals that I guess we’ll have to do ourselves.

In recent years, the band members have admitted they're not totally happy with AFDTE: Vinnie has said it "had its moments, but it lacks a bit of direction." Danny has also regretted the omission of the intro, which finally got officially released when the album was reissued with a rearranged tracklist earlier this year.

However, a song called "A Fleeting Glimpse" remains unreleased to this day, as you can see from this track-by-track breakdown by Danny from April 2001: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/archive-news-apr-04-2001/ Looks like the tracklist made through various changes before the album got released, as "A Fleeting Glimpse" and the intro were still going to be on it when the official album announcement was made: https://web.archive.org/web/20011004063621/https://listen.to/anathema
1. Intro (untitled)
2. Looking Outside Inside
3. Underworld
4. Pressure
5. Release
6. Breaking Down the Barriers
7. Leave No Trace
8. A Fleeting Glimpse
9. Panic
10. A Fine Day to Exit
11. Temporary Peace

A Fine Day to Exit is a fine album that shows a different side of Anathema. This may also be why the album is slightly divisive among the fans, as not everyone is pleased with its modern rock sound. I have to admit I prefer the band's atmospheric side, but thanks to the fairly solid songwriting and classics like the title-track, "Release" and "Panic", AFDTE has earned a place in my big 4 of Anathema albums.

Full review: https://echotester.blogspot.com/2015/08/anathema-discography-8-fine-day-to-exit.html

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #148 on: August 18, 2015, 12:18:58 PM »
Just dropping by (I've been following, but haven't been commenting that much) to say that this album is great, but not Anathema's best. I think Release is absolutely fantastic, they should play it live more often! Temporary Peace is also one of my favourite Anathema tracks.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2015, 12:52:33 PM »
I love this record. Got me into the band along with Judgement right around 2002ish.

Also, the Blabbermouth link mentions another song called "Levity." Weird that neither it nor "A Fleeting Glimpse" were put on the reissue for bonuses.

And I have no clue why they pushed "Pressure." It's easily the worst song on the thing. "Release" and, as Danny mentioned, "Panic" would have caught on far better.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2015, 01:01:57 PM »
Damn, didn't know the band had gone through so many internal problems and lineup changes. Guess it somehow reflects on their music a bit.

This album is quite underrated, and is easily in my top 3 Anathema albums. Love how they mixed some alt. rock with their formula, and even a bit of shoegaze/post-rock elements here and there. Pressure and Panic are my favorites here, but the rest of the album is fantastic as well.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: August 20, 2015, 02:47:13 AM »
Also, the Blabbermouth link mentions another song called "Levity." Weird that neither it nor "A Fleeting Glimpse" were put on the reissue for bonuses.
"Levity" most likely became "Leave No Trace", as it appears in the first 11-track list, but not in the latter. Still, I'd love to hear "A Fleeting Glimpse" and wonder what happened to it.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #152 on: August 20, 2015, 02:58:10 AM »
A Fine Day to Exit is really underrated and quite the lovely album IMO. I definitely consider songs like the title track, Temporary Peace, Underworld, Pressure, Release and Looking Outside Inside to be great highlights. Perhaps their most "accessible" album, it feels very light and easy to listen to, and doesn't get overly dark like the albums before it. But still catchy songs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2015, 07:13:34 AM »
Finished my listen.

I thought it was very good.  However, not as good as the previous album.  Which means, my streak is ended (I was liking each album more than the previous one).

Really liked Temporary Peace.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2015, 08:00:18 AM »
As others have already mentioned, I think this one is a bit underrated. Not a top 5 Anathema album for me, but still really solid I think.

And Temporary Peace is definitely one of my favorite Anathema songs of all time. Awesome lyrics in that last bit (you know the one). Also really love this live, acoustic version from their Liverpool Cathedral show (to be released on the upcoming DVD, whenever that is)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LCG0TtHkqk
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: August 24, 2015, 06:40:46 AM »
Finally listened to this album. Easily my least favourite out of all non-growly albums so far. The only tracks I liked are Release, Leave No Trace (kind of) and Temporary Peace. The latter is amazing though (the actual song is). Panic was alright I guess; I didn't like Pressure and Looking Outside Inside at all, and the other tracks were kind of forgettable.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: August 24, 2015, 07:35:38 AM »
So what do you think of the reissue of this album? I really enjoyed it, and think the new song is fantastic. The new tracklist is better, makes the album flow.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2015, 10:40:57 AM »
A Fine Day to Exit is really underrated and quite the lovely album IMO. I definitely consider songs like the title track, Temporary Peace, Underworld, Pressure, Release and Looking Outside Inside to be great highlights. Perhaps their most "accessible" album, it feels very light and easy to listen to, and doesn't get overly dark like the albums before it. But still catchy songs.
Yeah, it's definitely the most straight-forward and accessible Anathema album to date, and probably the least dark out of the pre-WHBWH releases.
So what do you think of the reissue of this album? I really enjoyed it, and think the new song is fantastic. The new tracklist is better, makes the album flow.
As I said in my full review, opening with the intro and Release is a change for the better, but I don't like the way the song couples with seamless transitions (Looking/Trace, Panic/Exit) have been separated.
I thought it was very good.  However, not as good as the previous album.  Which means, my streak is ended (I was liking each album more than the previous one).
Easily my least favourite out of all non-growly albums so far.
I figured this album might not be as popular as the previous ones, seeing how different it is. It'll be interesting to see how you guys react to A Natural Disaster - I'll (try to) post the write-up for that album tomorrow!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2015, 11:04:59 AM »
For what it's worth, I went and bought a ticket for Anathema show in Moscow at 1st of October, mainly because of this thread. Looking forward to see the band live.

Yeah, I'm waiting for A Natural Disaster too. This and their latest are the only two albums I haven't heard yet.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: August 26, 2015, 11:16:28 AM »
Oh you won't regret it - for what I know, they are an amazing live act.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2015, 06:27:05 AM »
Never seen a band evolve so differently from where they started.
Skipped all of the growly stuff. Checked out some of Eternity and Judgement. A little mellow for my taste. And this was a metal band??

They remind me a lot of Fields Of The Nephilim.

Also, love the interview snippets about people leaving the band. The honesty is so refreshing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2015, 09:51:57 AM »
Sorry guys, you'll have to wait one more day until we get to AND - I'm moving back to my student apartment tomorrow and had my last day at work today, so it's been a little hectic lately.
Never seen a band evolve so differently from where they started.
Skipped all of the growly stuff. Checked out some of Eternity and Judgement. A little mellow for my taste. And this was a metal band??

They remind me a lot of Fields Of The Nephilim.

Also, love the interview snippets about people leaving the band. The honesty is so refreshing.
Emphasis on was! :lol Eternity and Alternative 4 still have some metal elements, but since then they've moved on from metal completely, though they still get lumped in with metal bands due to their past. I can't hear the similarity to FOTN myself, though they're a good band as well.

The members are pretty honest and outspoken, which is something I appreciate. Too many musicians are overly diplomatic and give the same stock answers to every question IMO.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2015, 11:43:21 AM »
Anathema have definitely evolved a lot since the start, though I think Ulver has them beaten. (They started out as black metal and eventually became more of an electronic piece)

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2015, 11:44:37 AM »
Anathema have definitely evolved a lot since the start, though I think Ulver has them beaten. (They started out as black metal and eventually became more of an electronic piece)

And now are doing some Dark Ambient stuff  ;D
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2015, 11:44:51 AM »
Another double post, fucking quote/modify
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »

I don't know of any bands that have evolved as much as Ulver  :lol

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anathema Discography v. It's been a long cold winter
« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2015, 02:36:35 PM »
I couldn't find as many interesting interview tidbits as previously - this album is probably too old and too new at the same time! :lol

A Natural Disaster (2003)

1. Harmonium
2. Balance
3. Closer
4. Are You There?
5. Childhood Dream
6. Pulled Under at 2000 Metres a Second
7. A Natural Disaster
8. Flying
9. Electricity
10. Violence

Vincent Cavanagh - vocals, guitars, vocoder
John Douglas - drums
Les Smith - keyboards, programming
Jamie Cavanagh - bass, programming
Danny Cavanagh - guitars, keyboards, vocals on "Are You There?" and "Electricity"

Anna Livingstone - additional vocals on "Are You There?"
Lee Douglas - vocals on "A Natural Disaster"

Anathema reached a boiling point in the spring of 2002, when Danny Cavanagh suddenly announced he was leaving the band. He wanted to play with Antimatter instead, saying he prefers playing in a band with no frontman, and that the new Antimatter songs would be "a lot closer to the true ANATHEMA of Alternative 4, Eternity and songs like 'Temporary Peace'." However, Danny changed his mind shortly afterwards - he realized he was just trying to escape his own problems and that he would regret leaving behind something he'd poured his heart and soul into for 12 years.

In 2015 Vincent admitted he had forgotten about the split: https://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4148756-from-the-beginning--dis-meets-anathema
I'd totally forgotten about it until the other day. I’m not exactly sure what happened to be honest. Maybe he did leave for a bit. It didn't feel like he was away for very long. If anything it was just down to a lack of communication and connection at that point. We're all guilty of losing touch with the people we care about sometimes in our lives. Danny and I weren't very close at that time, but when he came back he realised that Anathema was his home and he had all this music to get off his chest. He wrote all of A Natural Disaster. There's some quite "out there" stuff on that record, some really ambitious pieces like 'Closer' and 'Violence'.

After original bassist - and Vincent and Danny's brother - Jamie Cavanagh had rejoined the group, they started working on A Natural Disaster. Danny had been through some turbulent times, and according to him, the album was a necessary catharsis for him to be able to move on, both musically and personally. He commented on the minimalistic nature of the album: "It’s stripped down to bare essentials with lyrics and music, and I guess that’s just because that’s the way it needed to be. It didn’t need to be big and epic so that the music wouldn’t suit with the lyrics." Danny also admitted the album may be difficult to get into: "This album takes a while to get into, it`s a bit like film music I guess. There is no instant hit and no obvious single on it. This album is darker than recent ones and reflects certain atmospheres quite well."

Musically, the album includes a lot of experimentation and surprising elements, such as the electronics on "Harmonium", Vocoder on "Closer", the aggression of "Pulled Under at 2000 Metres a Second", and the reversed guitars on "Flying". You can hear Radiohead influences on "Balance", while the title-track - sung by Lee Douglas - has a Portishead vibe, and "Violence" was influenced by Cradle of Filth(!). Also, the child's voice on "Childhood Dream" is Les Smith's baby boy, so the Cavanagh and Douglas families weren't the only ones to have more than one person contribute to the album. The lyrics are personal, as always: "Closer" is about being under the influence of drugs, and the title-track is a break-up song. Although Danny has never explicitly admitted that "Are You There?" is another song about his mother, he's said there's a reason why that song comes after "Inner Silence" and "One Last Goodbye" in the tracklist of Hindsight.

Although material from A Natural Disaster continues to be played live to this day, Vincent has said the album "was not quite finished, I don't think it was ready." Danny has admitted he's not happy with all the songs, but it was necessary for him to get all the songs out of his system, because they were intertwined lyrically. Vincent has specifically mentioned "Pulled Under..." as a song he never liked: https://www.metal-discovery.com/Interviews/anathema_interview_2011_pt2.htm

I have mixed feelings on A Natural Disaster: most of the songs are good, but the chaotic nature of the album prevents it from being one of the band's best. Anathema has always made diverse albums, but I feel AND lacks the cohesion of the other releases. Although none of the songs can compete with the absolute crown jewels of the Anathema discography, there's plenty of good material to go back to, such as the title-track, "Flying" and the combo of "Balance" and "Closer".

Full review at https://echotester.blogspot.com/2015/08/anathema-discography-9-natural-disaster.html

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: August 29, 2015, 03:37:16 PM »
I really feel this album works better as a whole, even if some tracks sound quite to each other. Songs like Flying and A Natural Disaster are the highlights tho, at least for me. Still, I'm not a big fan of the electronics used here, or more like the way they're presented - feels too similar to Kid A at times.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2015, 04:34:40 PM »
There's obviously standouts, but it definitely works great as a whole. Most of this album is really darn great.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2015, 05:16:45 PM »
This album is fantastic. Probably the first pre-WHBWH Anathema album I got into.

Also Ville, love your writeups here. You really take the time to find some information and interviews. Good job, it's really interesting!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2015, 09:20:09 PM »
I agree with Onno- you're doing a good job with the writeups!

As for the album, I think it's safely in the upper half of the discography most days, from where I'm sitting. I really enjoy the experimentatipm and aforementioned diversity of songs on the album. There's really only one song that I'm not really happy with and that's the title track. I made a comment about it in the permanent thread, but it seems relevant here too...

Side note, I don't like A Natural Disaster (the track) nearly as much as the band seems to. I can understand why it's been a fixture in their shows, since it gives Vinnie a little bit of a break and lets Lee showcase her skills more, but it's always been my least favorite song on the album.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2015, 02:47:31 AM »
Thanks guys! :) I try to put in as much effort as possible to make the posts interesting and informative for new and old fans alike.

Looks like I'm the only one who's not totally sold on AND! :lol On the other hand, it makes you realize how strong Anathema's discography is - even a bottom 3 (to me anyway) album like this is pretty good.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2015, 01:01:05 PM »
:bump: for those who haven't listened yet...

I can't find the interview anymore, but Vincent said the album cover involves a sexual innuendo - not sure if he was serious, though. :P

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2015, 01:37:31 PM »
I'm on it, will try to listen at weekend. Busy times.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2015, 01:40:29 PM »
I can't find the interview anymore, but Vincent said the album cover involves a sexual innuendo - not sure if he was serious, though. :P
Well, the boat and its shadow might look suspicious...