Author Topic: Mike Mangini through the years  (Read 25842 times)

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
Re: Mike Mangini through the years: New post by Mangini on polyrhythms
« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2015, 03:19:13 PM »
Most recent MM interview here in Rome

https://soundcloud.com/radiorock106e6/intervista-con-mike-mangini-dream-theater-interview-with-mike-mangini-dream-theater

Sorry it's pretty long with lots of intermissions in Italian as they have to translate (sometimes translation into English is cut). But some bits are very interesting, eg what he reveals at the end about how "Enigma Machine" came to life...
He went for that masterclass in the same school not far from where I live and where my daughter had singing classes until June...
From Rome, with love.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2015, 12:39:20 AM »
Favorite Mike Mangini reply so far to Facebooknposters who kept on posting their preference for MP on MM's own FB page:

"Gentlemen: the Punch from my kit goes into the vocal mic 40 feet away and distorts my overhead mics. You just can't hear it. The feel and dynamics are all there underneath a lot of huge stereo music tracks; more than ever in DT history. How about you all: Can you just actually slow down and learn just 3 songs I did as opposed to you learning 25 years of Mike P's drumming? I learn his stuff like you guys. I like it like you guys. I don't like change either sometimes, but learn Just 3 ... Please? Try slowing down and learning Angels (but crank the 4K so you can hear the ride parts) and Surrender to Reason (so you can hear the tuplets and apex tom stuff etc. and the Gift of Music (when it follows the unison melodies in the outtro.) Just 3 songs guys ! Write it out. Try it. You'll never accept what we do unless you hear what's happening at 60%. what's going on near zero celcius is really is a lot of fun. Why do think I'm smiling all the time?"

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2015, 01:53:16 AM »
DT fandom is just complete shit sometimes.

MP's FB page is filled with "come back at DT" and that stuff, which I'm sure makes MP feel a little bad, like they don't give a damn or just don't appreciate what he does, and MM's page is filled with comments regarding his showoffs and that, saying that MP was better and that.

Can't you guys just have a little respect?
Real drummers with real skills that can cover both their songs don't attack them or deliver criticism, they appreciate what they do.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2015, 02:02:23 AM »
This is one of the worst comments when MM just changed his profile pic (where he is shown balancing his new signature drumsticks on his finger):

"Did "they" update "their" profile picture because "he" is somehow "more than" just himself? Portnoy makes you look like a wannabe. I'm truly impressed by your ability to balance a stick on your finger. "

Guy tried to recant later saying he had too much to drink when he posted.

Offline erwinrafael

One of MM's recent FB updates is an edited version of a drum solo in a Zildjian clinic he did a year ago. Love the notes he inserted. A lot of the stuff are meant to showcase skills to the drummers who are in the clinic. The 23/16 over seven is insane.  :lol

https://youtu.be/QV_n5ftPT_4   

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2015, 04:23:43 AM »
DT fandom is just complete shit sometimes.

MP's FB page is filled with "come back at DT" and that stuff, which I'm sure makes MP feel a little bad, like they don't give a damn or just don't appreciate what he does, and MM's page is filled with comments regarding his showoffs and that, saying that MP was better and that.

Can't you guys just have a little respect?
Real drummers with real skills that can cover both their songs don't attack them or deliver criticism, they appreciate what they do.

Yeah, +1. Some people can't let go, grow up or even think for themselves.

Offline Enigmachine

Mike Mangini plays TEI on a reduced kit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTYWwqchhQ

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

I think he might be my favourite drummer. Theres just so much energy there.

Offline pcs90

That TEI video is fantastic and I wish MM did more videos like this, or they included multitracks for each album like for BCSL, because it reallyshows what each person is doing very clearly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I don't follow a lot of musicians on FB, but looking at Mangini's page just now, and reading his replies to some of the inane comments directed his way, he really is class personified.  It's always fun to be a fan of a musician who is a good guy and always handles everything with grace. :tup :tup

Offline pcs90

I don't follow a lot of musicians on FB, but looking at Mangini's page just now, and reading his replies to some of the inane comments directed his way, he really is class personified.  It's always fun to be a fan of a musician who is a good guy and always handles everything with grace. :tup :tup
I totally agree, and it's sad how many negative comments he gets. Regardless of who someone may like more, I would think it'd be pretty obvious that MP, with the attitude and personality that he has, has done a lot more to deserve negative comments than MM, who just seems very hard-working, passionate and respectful. I don't get it. I'm not saying people should go attack MP instead but hopefully it makes sense.

Offline goo-goo

Mike Mangini plays TEI on a reduced kit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTYWwqchhQ

Would love to see that kit with Dream Theater. I think you can see more clearly what he is playing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I totally agree, and it's sad how many negative comments he gets. Regardless of who someone may like more, I would think it'd be pretty obvious that MP, with the attitude and personality that he has, has done a lot more to deserve negative comments than MM, who just seems very hard-working, passionate and respectful. I don't get it. I'm not saying people should go attack MP instead but hopefully it makes sense.

That's social media, where people love to act like jackasses, for ya. 

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff

What the hell was that at 4:57!?   :lol

Anyway, it was awesome  :metal

Offline Enigmachine

What the hell was that at 4:57!?   :lol

Anyway, it was awesome  :metal

Damn, I only just realised that he is doing that bit with one hand.  :omg:
Had to rewind a few times there to try to take that in.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
My favourite thing Mike does in that song is the unison fill going into the final solo. Except he doesn't throw in the bass drums in the second half.

Builds tension for the solo.

:tup

Offline porcacultor

THANKS for this. So energy, powah!

Memes aside, that fast part on the ride symbol after the intro is just so great. The whole thing, wow.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
MUCH more fun & interesting watching him play to DT songs than sit through any of his drum solos where it's all just technical exercises and rudiments.

Offline erwinrafael

MUCH more fun & interesting watching him play to DT songs than sit through any of his drum solos where it's all just technical exercises and rudiments.

Well, his drum solos are directed at drummers in a drum clinic so it is supposed to be technical.

For his drum solos in DT shows, he makes them very musical with themes and catchy patterns.

Offline pcs90

For his drum solos in DT shows, he makes them very musical with themes and catchy patterns.
I've always liked his DT solos. They can be technical but also very melodic and musical.

Offline nikatapi

While his solos are extremely technical, they are very enjoyable, well constructed and quite musical. Quite the difference compared to MP's solos which were boring and very repetitive.

Online mikeyd23

That video of TEI was fantastic!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
All he needs is the octobans and he could probably use that kit quite happily for DT.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
I'm so envious of amphibious drummers...

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff

Definitely! Playing drums under water is a dream of mine.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni

:mehlin :rollin :mehlin :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I hope that was an intentional error since I've seen a thing on twitter where a newspaper basically made the same error.

Hoping it was a subtle reference to that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

He can play for LIQUID tension experiment :neverusethis:

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach

:splodetard:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
I hope that was an intentional error since I've seen a thing on twitter where a newspaper basically made the same error.

of course, and now you ruined the joke.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff

On the next tour they'll have Mike play in giant aquarium. And the highlight of the show will happen when the water breaks :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 09:29:27 AM by CDrice »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

of course, and now you ruined the joke.

No i made you not look like a silly billy ! :neverusethis:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

On the next tour they'll have Mike play in giant aquarium. And the highlight of the show will happen when the water breaks :neverusethis:

No joke but when my bro and I were in Kotow - we always thought - if we ever made it huge - to have a huge tank of water behind us for the gig and after teh encore - it dumps the water and we all jsut get washed off stage :lol

It would be so funny.

Offline Madman Shepherd

I've always liked his DT solos. They can be technical but also very melodic and musical.
Exactly!  I rarely like drums solos but Mike makes them incredibly melodic while still showing off his insane talent. 

Offline erwinrafael

Does not play with any dynamics? Just full of technique and not musical? Not good in composing cymbal parts? Has no groove in playing? Plays like a robot, very lifeless?

ALL DISPROVEN IN THE VIDEO.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)

Does not play with any dynamics? Just full of technique and not musical? Not good in composing cymbal parts? Has no groove in playing? Plays like a robot, very lifeless?

ALL DISPROVEN IN THE VIDEO.

You know what? I've been very critical of MM's "robotic" playing as of late, BUT seeing this clip might reconcile me with the guy, especially his cymbal and double bass work (which I've laways found excellent by the way albeit sometimes too "metal").

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael