Author Topic: Dream Theater is allegedly on tour right now v. Setlist spoilers, you dummy  (Read 21439 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Really good videos coming out so far. Mangini is a standout on the Metropolis vid from Minsk and Labrie sounds really good on Caught in a Web from Poland and most the others. I know we pretty much say this every time around, but Labrie just keeps getting better and better with an expanding range. I'm not sure how this is happening but it's great
I thought James sounded out of tune in the first half of that CIAW video, but he'll probably improve as the tour goes on.

Offline Laughingplace56

Honestly, I think what the best thing for them to do for an anniversary tour at this stage in the game is to go on tour without a new album, and only honor past material. With DT13, there's gonna be likely 65-80 min of new material to pick from, and since it's the album they'll be promoting, it's safe to assume about 45-50 min of that will be played. In a 3 hour set w/ intermission, that leaves about 105 min of set time left for the past albums, which is 1 hour and 45 min. If they choose ACoS as the encore, then it's about 1 hour 20 min left for 12 other albums. It's definitely doable, but I think to showcase their entire career, the proper way is to just play their material up till now and do more than just 1 song from every album, and not only pick songs that are shorter due to time restraints. They wouldn't be able to play songs like LitS, Home, The Glass Prison, etc without seriously butchering other album choices.

Offline Raise the Drum

• ::::::::::|...|::::::::::
  • Ñ
I seriously hope DT won't try to cover something from every single album for the upcoming world tour like they did with the Octavarium tour.
Simply because we got now more albums.
Certainly they will be releasing some sort of Score+10 for 2016, however, rather than covering a song from each album, I think the shows should be more flexible and better structured, which is what MP did very well. What sounds good? What fits? What kind of show do we want to give?

When groups add themselves limitations like this (they are forced to pick one song from each album), it also affects their creativity and the flow of the show, especially at this point of the band's career where they got so much material that they got to play shorter and not so-satisfying songs (Wither? I mean, like, why? Having ARoP)

Now, if this is the case for the festivals, I can only assume that the first act from each show of the world tour (which I hope is in the Evening format) will cover relevant songs from DT's history, and that's okay. I would rather have a full metal show with heavy songs and then flowing into quiet, calmer songs, than having one heavy song and then of sudden a calm one and then yet another heavy one and so on. You can leave Awake in peace for the time-being, I seriously don't want to hear anything from Awake after the last tour, yet I really wanna hear some Anna Lee that flows into Through Her Eyes, there you would have a calm section for a show.

I don't know, but these are my thoughts huh
Totally agree with you, it limits the band's creativity a lot set-wise, and I think it's fine for now while they're still working on the new album and can't really Take the Time (haha) to learn a lot of new stuff for their live performances, but for instance, I'd like to see a better concert closer than Behind the Veil during their world tour, something like Finally Free is way more epic as a closer, and they would still be able to put BTV in the set, just not at the end.

Finally Free as a closer?
I don't think so
for me that song is a nice way to end a "special show" like a DVD or to end a show where SFAM is played in its entirety or something in that terms.
but for any other kind of show its feels kinda weird, it doesn't flow well IMO.
A similar feeling came to me when i saw that they are playing About to Crash. Is a good song and a cool thing to do to play it again after so long, but i can't see that song flowing in a setlist without WIMH after it (or any song right after it). I mean the begining is great but at the end of the song it begins reflect the fact that is a part of a bigger song (SDOIT) more than a stand alone one. And that to me, is something that doesn't help the momentum of the show.
I'd rather see from SDOIT (album) a "more stand alone song" like Misunderstood, BF, or even AtC Reprise maybe.

Actually it would be cool if they could play that both songs together, AtC and AtC (reprise).

Yes, this kind of setlist may affect the band's creativity in setlists term but i think they still can find a way to make it feel like fresh and new again, without change this thing where they play one song of each album.

Actually they could put all the AA saga in there as a way to visit each album from SDOIT to Silver Linings.
Who knows, maybe they'll go with that in a further part of the tour.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Setlist Spoilers ahead, obviously.

I feel like a set like this, using the current songs they've played on this tour, would work (just a different order for better flow):

False Awakening Suite (intro tape)
As I Am
Panic Attack
Wither
Afterlife
Caught In A Web
A Change of Seasons II: Innocence
Burning My Soul
Constant Motion
About To Crash
The Spirit Carries On
Bridges In The Sky (abridged)
Behind The Veil
---
Metropolis Pt. 1
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Illethal

Seems like clips are starting to make their way to Youtube.

Found this one just uploaded today, full song.

Dream Theater As I Am Live In Minsk, 2015

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Re: Dream Theater is allegedly on tour right now - To Be Continued
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2015, 04:30:32 PM »
Yea, tomorrow they will be playing at Metropolis Fest in Poland, a 1:30 hour set.

So 5 songs then :rollin

If DT were Metallica ( which thank fuck they aren't ) - they'd play a show that's CALLED Matropolis and not play Metropolis.

REALLY!!!!

I wish someone would tell me why the HELL the SONG Through the Never isn't in the MOVIE "Through the Never!!"
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
There's no way to make this perfect for everybody, but if the current show is only about eighty minutes, then I think the best thing to do is include all three of the NEW songs that weren't played on the last tour, and also commemorate the anniversaries of A.C.o.S. and 8VM. Maybe something like this:

1) Surrender to Reason
2) These Walls
3) The Bigger Picture
4) Sacrificed Sons
5) A Change of Seasons
6) Behind the Veil
7) Metropolis
8) "Encore-" The Root of All Evil
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
The vid I saw of 'Afterlife' was pretty good. Mangini's version of drumming that song is AWESOME!! A lot more footwork and his hands are all over the place. It's not fair to say it's 'better' than MP's recorded version being that he wrote/recorded that when he was what....18..19? But, I do think Mangini's version I heard was much more enjoyable to listen to than MP's 'SCORE' version...
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Seems like clips are starting to make their way to Youtube.

Found this one just uploaded today, full song.

Dream Theater As I Am Live In Minsk, 2015

Ok, stupid question: At the very end of the video, there's a drawn-out guiutar feedback sound. But, JP hands off his guiutar at that moment. Who makes the sound?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline genome

It's on the backing track. They did it at Budokan too, so the chord can ring out while they switch guitars.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
It's on the backing track. They did it at Budokan too, so the chord can ring out while they switch guitars.

This
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
To those who insist on using tiny, unreadable font for song titles, please stop.  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
The vid I saw of 'Afterlife' was pretty good. Mangini's version of drumming that song is AWESOME!! A lot more footwork and his hands are all over the place. It's not fair to say it's 'better' than MP's recorded version being that he wrote/recorded that when he was what....18..19? But, I do think Mangini's version I heard was much more enjoyable to listen to than MP's 'SCORE' version...

I couldn't agree more. MM drumming really improved the song and brought it to a new level IMO. I always watch the same songs in different gigs, just to see what MM brings with his interpretations/versions of the songs. And the way he's been doing this, is really improving DT's sound.

Also, I like the current drum sounds better than the one from the previous tour.

Offline wizard of Thought

So, a question rised up in my mind: As I know, the setlist e.g. for Wacken will be 75 minutes (https://www.wacken.com/de/bands/running-order/) consequently leading to the setlist being a bit to long. In addition, there is this Bonn festival (with Devin Townsend + Haken as supports and those three being the only bands to play that day) and I think that DT could get a longer gig there.

I just want to say that the setlist HAS to be changed (at least for Wacken), so what are suggestions for alterations being made?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
So, a question rised up in my mind: As I know, the setlist e.g. for Wacken will be 75 minutes (https://www.wacken.com/de/bands/running-order/) consequently leading to the setlist being a bit to long. In addition, there is this Bonn festival (with Devin Townsend + Haken as supports and those three being the only bands to play that day) and I think that DT could get a longer gig there.

I just want to say that the setlist HAS to be changed (at least for Wacken), so what are suggestions for alterations being made?

Suggestions by who?  I am not sure what you mean.

But as far as changing it, yes, they will have to in locations where they have shorter set times.  They may change a song or two here and there.  But I expect they will just eliminate songs to make the set fit the time slot.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Sorry, perhaps I said it in the wrong way. I wanted to ask generally which alterations you think will be made. But you already answered my question somehow, so...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Oh, okay.  And if you want to know more specifically which songs people think they will change or cut, I will leave it to others to guess.  I have no clue.

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism

Suggestions by who?  I am not sure what you mean.

But as far as changing it, yes, they will have to in locations where they have shorter set times.  They may change a song or two here and there.  But I expect they will just eliminate songs to make the set fit the time slot.
And in case they have 2 hours?
Allegedly in Pistoia they will be getting sone extra time ( to be confirmed).
Would they then play ACOS in thei entirety? And/or given that Pistoia is in Tuscany... A special encore for the occasion? ;)
From Rome, with love.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
I still find it hard to believe that we might get some extra time. I think it's best for us to just assume we'll get a regulae set, instead of pumping up our hopes and then face a disappointment.  :-X
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Setlist Spoilers ahead, obviously.

I feel like a set like this, using the current songs they've played on this tour, would work (just a different order for better flow):

False Awakening Suite (intro tape)
As I Am
Panic Attack
Wither
Afterlife
Caught In A Web
A Change of Seasons II: Innocence
Burning My Soul
Constant Motion
About To Crash
The Spirit Carries On
Bridges In The Sky (abridged)
Behind The Veil
---
Metropolis Pt. 1

Yeah, I like your thinking.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline CharlesPL

I talking with technican guy, he told me that, they play every same set on every show :( on this tour...

In Prague guys sat only in the hotel and arena, even JR, didn't walked through the city.I waited for autographs but this time not lived to see.In Katowice 15 fans catch all members, but unfortunately I was waiting for the bus at this time.Which was delayed 4 hours :lol: :)

But, honestly, they cannot play this setlist at Wacken, because the setlist is too long, except they play shorter versions of some songs. So at least something must be different at that concert.

Offline CharlesPL

So at least something must be different at that concert.

+1, but maybe he forgot that at some concerts have a different amount of time :smiley:.We'll see :hat

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
DT plays to prerecorded click tracks, they can't just easily trim a song to make it shorter. Very likes they will just skip songs.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
They should totally just exchange songs with other short as shit songs from the albums.

Goodbye Metropolis. Hello Wait For Sleep.

Goodbye As I Am. Hello Vacant.

Goodbye Shaman's Trance.  Hello Far From Heaven

Goodbye Burning My Soul. Hello You Not Me.

Goodbye Caught In A Web. Hello Silent Man

Goodbye Spirit. Hello Through My Words.

Goodbye About To Crash. Hello War Inside My Head.

Goodbye Panic Attack. Hello I Walk Beside You.

Goodbye Constant Motion. Hello Forsaken.

Goodbye Behind The Veil. Hello Along For The Ride.

Wither is the shortest song on Black Clouds... Afterlife can stay... and Don't fuck with ACoS
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Have you been drinking?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Have you been drinking cough syrup?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
Nope.

Ok I am now

But I wasn't when I posted that

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dream Team

Count me among those who don't think it's necessary to organize the setlist chronologically. They already did that for the 20th anniversary shows.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Middle Fingers to those that don't understand...BTV is the best Encore.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
The Bigger Picture is the best choice IMO

But... ya know... saving for the next full tour probably

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The problem is, neither the first or most recent album has a song classic enough to be the last song played at a concert yet.  I get the logic of doing the chronological thing, but while it is cool that Behind the Veil is getting played, I am not sure how much a set list works like that in reality.  You don't want your last song at a concert being one where a lot of fans are wondering, "What song is this?"

Offline TheCountOfNYC

The problem is, neither the first or most recent album has a song classic enough to be the last song played at a concert yet.  I get the logic of doing the chronological thing, but while it is cool that Behind the Veil is getting played, I am not sure how much a set list works like that in reality.  You don't want your last song at a concert being one where a lot of fans are wondering, "What song is this?"

I think they should play the albums in chronological order and the encore should be ACoS.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
The problem is, neither the first or most recent album has a song classic enough to be the last song played at a concert yet.

Breaking All Illusions would qualify, to me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The problem is, neither the first or most recent album has a song classic enough to be the last song played at a concert yet.

Breaking All Illusions would qualify, to me.
BAI is not on the first or most recent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol