Author Topic: Dream Theater is allegedly on tour right now v. Setlist spoilers, you dummy  (Read 21488 times)

Offline paulstfu

Re: Dream Theater is allegedly on tour right now - To Be Continued
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2015, 07:26:35 PM »

Well, it's one song from every album including ACOS

:lol
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Easily the best setlist they've had since MM joined, despite ACOS and BTV. Nice to see As I Am, PA, and CM played, given how sadly overlooked that huge chunk of their discography was last tour.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline zecawolf

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
If that's the encore then I may have to leave early... aside from that and *spoilers* The spirit Caries On its a great set!

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Aside from Afterlife and Burning My Soul, there is little to complain about. From both of those albums, I would rather have just about any other song chosen to represent them. Otherwise, the setlist is solid. I particularly like the DT12 choice, hopefully they play it on the DT13 tour.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
So this tour is basically the Queensryche/Dream Theater tour twelve years later!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline SkiFiX

The setlist is good, not great. I would prefer if they play the entire ACOS.
I don't understand why the choose Behind the Veil as a last song! The Bigger Picture would be a far better ending for a concert.

My favourites of this setlist: ACOS and About to Crash

But seriously... Caught in a web... Again???

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Keep in mind the length of the slightly shorter set when trying to fit a song from every album, the different audience, and also the fact they're still in the middle of recording an album and probably want to help minimize how many new songs they have to learn. All things considered, I love the setlist. No setlist is going to make everyone happy.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline CharlesPL

Tommorow is my 1st show in 15', hope they changed some songs :lol:

Offline metrojam

Oh I am really liking that setlist :):) Only one song from their (I.M.O) worst ever album (DT12) and that one is also by far most favourite on that album too :) and some cracking songs from throughout the history of the band.
Hope its the same or very very similar at the "Ramblin Man Fair" gig next month :)

Offline mikeyd23

All things considered, I like that setlist! Definitely some songs I wouldn't personally choose, but there are enough great songs to make up for that.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
So this tour is basically the Queensryche/Dream Theater tour twelve years later!

Because it has Metropolis Part 1 and sometimes Spirit Carries On?  :huh: :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

I've been a huge defender of Mangini era DT in every aspect but man, this setlist kinda sucks. 

Of course, a sucky DT setlist is still worth going to see and I love that they brought back Burning My Soul and I've never got to see them perform About to Crash so that would be cool but everything else is kinda bland. 

Still I love Constant Motion and As I Am although I feel like I've seen them perform those a lot.  I wouldn't mind them playing COIW every show so thats cool. 

Offline TheAtliator

as posted in the other thread... WOW this is awesome!!  :metal :metal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipWqb8a02jw

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Nice setlist besides BMS.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
That is an interesting setlist. If I'm not mistaken, 5 of the songs were played live since Mangini joined the band and 8 weren't... very interesting indeed...

Offline goo-goo

Seems like Mangini scaled down his kit. I'm seeing two bass drums instead of four.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I did not notice, but it would make sense to bring less gear on a festival circuit.  It is expensive to haul gear around Europe for the summer.  That's why so many bands at festival gigs rent amps, lighting rigs, and other equipment--it is cheaper than hauling their own.  Mangini's kit is so customized that there is no way he can do that.  He has to bring his own.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
That is an interesting setlist. If I'm not mistaken, 5 of the songs were played live since Mangini joined the band and 8 weren't... very interesting indeed...

NUGGETZ!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline goo-goo

I did not notice, but it would make sense to bring less gear on a festival circuit.  It is expensive to haul gear around Europe for the summer.  That's why so many bands at festival gigs rent amps, lighting rigs, and other equipment--it is cheaper than hauling their own.  Mangini's kit is so customized that there is no way he can do that.  He has to bring his own.

Yeah, I personally dig it this way. The whole stage looks a bit less cluttered. I miss the Systematic Chaos ants on stage though  :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

Seems like Mangini scaled down his kit. I'm seeing two bass drums instead of four.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Mike said he would be getting rid of at least one of them which was used for sound triggers.  I think someone wrote that on this forum when they spoke with him last. 

But yes, seems very scaled down.  Kind of odd looking to see it so small. 

Offline Krissi91

Set list is very cool... I haven't seen any of these songs live yet.
But I would have liked some other song from the Metropolis album. I still don't get why Spirit is such a big hit, never liked it for some reason. But I'm probably in the minority with this opinion :blush
And I really hope they will play the whole A Change Of Seasons at the 2 hour gigs... then I could die happy :hefdaddy

Offline paulstfu

NUGGETZ!

HOLY SHIIEEEET!!! OCTAVARIUM PT. 2: STILL TRAPPED CONFIRMED
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline Nearmyth

Afterlife! They could not have picked a better WDADU song to open with imo
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I want some more fun instrumental sections like 5:00 onwards in Endless Sacrifice.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
i want something special and new but not gimmicky
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Setlist from todays Dream Theater performance at "Metal Hammer Festival": https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2015/spodek-katowice-poland-33c95cc5.html

Obviously pretty much the same, only difference with the last being Innocence instead of Crimson Sunrise
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:20:39 AM by bosk1 »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Haha !!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
Only difference with the last being Innocence instead of Crimson Sunrise

Very surprising to me.. I hope they continue to doing that.. :metal I'd love that idea..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline TheAtliator

Before any video pops up... Any predictions for JLB's live phrasing and pitch differences for Behind The Veil on this tour?

I'm going to predict:

1. "Please" becomes "Plaze",
2. "Away" and "Day" are held out way longer than on the studio version with reeeaally thick vibrato (a la "What would you say, if I walked away" live)
3. in "finest hour",  "hour" becomes exaggeratedly short and "owaah"
4. at least one "someone save me" becomes the same note (G) on both "someone" and "save me" rather than switching to F#
edit: also: 5. "why can't face another day"
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:21:26 AM by bosk1 »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Setlist from todays Dream Theater performance at "Metal Hammer Festival": https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2015/spodek-katowice-poland-33c95cc5.html

Obviously pretty much the same, only difference with the last being Innocence instead of Crimson Sunrise
The Minsk setlist was updated and the same part was played at both shows: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2015/palace-of-sports-minsk-belarus-53c96b61.html
Set list is very cool... I haven't seen any of these songs live yet.
But I would have liked some other song from the Metropolis album. I still don't get why Spirit is such a big hit, never liked it for some reason. But I'm probably in the minority with this opinion :blush
I don't like Spirit that much either and I'd prefer Through Her Eyes in that spot, but TSCO is a fan-favorite and a more suitable song for festivals. Constant Motion is also one of my least favorites and I'm pretty indifferent towards Panic Attack, but I'm going to the show with the mentality that those songs will probably come across better live, and I'm just happy there are no repeats from last tour.

Offline Darkstarshades

I seriously hope DT won't try to cover something from every single album for the upcoming world tour like they did with the Octavarium tour.
Simply because we got now more albums.
Certainly they will be releasing some sort of Score+10 for 2016, however, rather than covering a song from each album, I think the shows should be more flexible and better structured, which is what MP did very well. What sounds good? What fits? What kind of show do we want to give?

When groups add themselves limitations like this (they are forced to pick one song from each album), it also affects their creativity and the flow of the show, especially at this point of the band's career where they got so much material that they got to play shorter and not so-satisfying songs (Wither? I mean, like, why? Having ARoP)

Now, if this is the case for the festivals, I can only assume that the first act from each show of the world tour (which I hope is in the Evening format) will cover relevant songs from DT's history, and that's okay. I would rather have a full metal show with heavy songs and then flowing into quiet, calmer songs, than having one heavy song and then of sudden a calm one and then yet another heavy one and so on. You can leave Awake in peace for the time-being, I seriously don't want to hear anything from Awake after the last tour, yet I really wanna hear some Anna Lee that flows into Through Her Eyes, there you would have a calm section for a show.

I don't know, but these are my thoughts huh
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline TheCountOfNYC

I seriously hope DT won't try to cover something from every single album for the upcoming world tour like they did with the Octavarium tour.
Certainly they will be releasing some sort of Score+10 for 2016, however, rather than covering a song from each album, I think the shows should be more flexible and better structured, which is what MP did very well. What sounds good? What fits? What kind of show do we want to give?

When groups add themselves limitations like this (they are forced to pick one song from each album), it also affects their creativity and the flow of the show, especially at this point of the band's career where they got so much material that they got to play shorter and not so-satisfying songs (Wither? I mean, like, why? Having ARoP)

Now, if this is the case for the festivals, I can only assume that the first act from each show of the world tour (which I hope is in the Evening format) will cover relevant songs from DT's history, and that's okay. I would rather have a full metal show with heavy songs and then flowing into quiet, calmer songs, than having one heavy song and then of sudden a calm one and then yet another heavy one and so on. You can leave Awake in peace for the time-being, I seriously don't want to hear anything from Awake after the last tour, yet I really wanna hear some Anna Lee that flows into Through Her Eyes, there you would have a calm section for a show.

They should play one song from each album but maybe not in chronological order. That would give them a little more flexibility in making the setlist while also allowing them to represent their entire career.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline LKap13

Really good videos coming out so far. Mangini is a standout on the Metropolis vid from Minsk and Labrie sounds really good on Caught in a Web from Poland and most the others. I know we pretty much say this every time around, but Labrie just keeps getting better and better with an expanding range. I'm not sure how this is happening but it's great

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach

Totally agree with you, it limits the band's creativity a lot set-wise, and I think it's fine for now while they're still working on the new album and can't really Take the Time (haha) to learn a lot of new stuff for their live performances, but for instance, I'd like to see a better concert closer than Behind the Veil during their world tour, something like Finally Free is way more epic as a closer, and they would still be able to put BTV in the set, just not at the end.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.