Author Topic: Dream Theater is allegedly on tour right now v. Setlist spoilers, you dummy  (Read 21440 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
I hate interrupting this poignant Steven Wilson discussion, but the first bootleg of the tour has emerged! It's a good quality recording of the second show of the tour in Katowice, held on June 27th. I uploaded it on my onedrive folder for those who don't have an account on dimeadozen.org!

Here's the link, grab freely if you are interested!

https://1drv.ms/1dSkm91
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Thanks for sharing the untouched flac files. Very considerate of you.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni

Well, as a bootleg trader and collector I would never trade/share a recording in a degraded form. The taper recorded this show in lossless format, as per the bootlegging etiquette, and as such it is to be circulated! :)
- Marco

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
I can't even attempt to explain the show in Bonn.... Utterly amazed.

Behind the veil is not a good song to close on though.

Offline wizard of Thought

I can't even attempt to explain the show in Bonn.... Utterly amazed.

Behind the veil is not a good song to close on though.

This. Even if JLB was a bit weak that show, as he announced after Metropolis.

Offline Ravenfoul

Thanks Wasteland, sounds great.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
So after the Germany show, I met haken and chatted to them for the best part of 2 hours, I posted some pics in the haken thread for you fans of them to check out!  :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Can someone explain the problem with "setlist spoilers"?  I don't get it...

What's the worst that can happen ?

Dude! I just got back from the DT show and they played You Not Me !  ;D

:angry: Oh thank YOU for telling me - now I know they play Dream Theater songs !

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

:angry: Oh thank YOU for telling me - now I know they play Dream Theater songs !

Some people like the surprise of not knowing what song is being played next. The anticipation and surprise can add to the fun.
Generally I personally prefer to have an idea of what songs will be played, because it might affect whether or not I attend in some cases.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
But - unless you know for definite that they're playing the same songs every night as they did recently - you might not even get that song....

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I meant in a general sense. If a matter of one or two songs is make or break, then it's probably not worth it. :lol For a lot of bands, there's no worry anyway.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Plus I think once you're in the venue and the lights go down and the band starts - you will probably forget everything anyway and just enjoy it.

Unless you're so OCD that you just stand there like " I can't enjoy this gig knowing what songs they're going to play "  :\

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
:lol
Of course, but I get that some people want that extra little bit of surprise too. It's a minor thing, but I respect that some people don't want the setlist spoiled in advance.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Kotow, Blob is one of those guys. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Kotow, Blob is one of those "guys". :lol

Yes! I am also a "guy". :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I thought that was understood. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Rodni Demental

I could care less about 'spoilers', even in TV programs and movies (most of the time lol). If knowing something in advance is enough to make the experience of watching something or being there not worth it for some people then that's completely fair enough, but whether I think I know something or not, if it's a show I want to see, I'll go to it / watch it anyway.  :biggrin:

Anyway, thank you wasteland! I'm very grateful of all the boots you've made available, you've saved me having to look through all the rather questionable audio quality vids on youtube.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:15:14 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

Well, as a bootleg trader and collector I would never trade/share a recording in a degraded form. The taper recorded this show in lossless format, as per the bootlegging etiquette, and as such it is to be circulated! :)

I always found that stance to be somewhat silly when it comes to bootlegs. The source material's degradation is magnitudes larger than any compression degradation.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Rodni Demental

^^^ While I see your point, I think the stance is more about trying get the best quality with the means available. It's either that or not bother with bootlegs at all which is probably what most audiophiles would do.

In any case, I just put this show on my phone so I can listen at work with headphones and after some slight adjustments to the EQ I think it sounds really good.. For a bootleg... Haha. ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Some people like the surprise of not knowing what song is being played next. The anticipation and surprise can add to the fun.
Generally I personally prefer to have an idea of what songs will be played, because it might affect whether or not I attend in some cases.

That is all fine.  But those people should have the common sense to stay out of threads on a discussion forum about the tour.  Once a tour has started, people WILL be discussing the songs.  There should be no need for a "spoiler tag."  Same with movie threads.  If you don't want to see spoilers about the film, stay out of threads about it once release date draws near.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
That is all fine.  But those people should have the common sense to stay out of threads on a discussion forum about the tour.  Once a tour has started, people WILL be discussing the songs.  There should be no need for a "spoiler tag."  Same with movie threads.  If you don't want to see spoilers about the film, stay out of threads about it once release date draws near.

Oh absolutely. It should be assumed that a thread about the tour is going to have setlist spoilers (even before it was specifically stated). Same goes for movie threads.
But we were also discussing setlist spoilers in the new DT album thread before DT had even played a show, where people may not have expected to see it, so common sense may not have helped there. I'm not sure how many people care that much, but sometimes info slips out in unexpected places.

Offline metrojam

^^^ While I see your point, I think the stance is more about trying get the best quality with the means available. It's either that or not bother with bootlegs at all which is probably what most audiophiles would do.

In any case, I just put this show on my phone so I can listen at work with headphones and after some slight adjustments to the EQ I think it sounds really good.. For a bootleg... Haha. ;)

Sounds like you've got a really good job then if you can listen to music whilst you're working!! :)

Offline Darkstarshades

While it's true that one wants to have the excitement of now knowing what are they going to play next, it's also a good to have a slight idea of What they are going to play.

Some people are just not masters in DT catalog and there are some songs they simply don't know (specially FII and WDADU), so, if a person who isn't very familiarized with Awake, but loves DT12 and SFAM, will be very excited for these parts during the last tour's show, but will be very confused or awkward with the Awake half.
Just a random thought.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Sycsa

I hate interrupting this poignant Steven Wilson discussion, but the first bootleg of the tour has emerged! It's a good quality recording of the second show of the tour in Katowice, held on June 27th. I uploaded it on my onedrive folder for those who don't have an account on dimeadozen.org!

Holy crap, you can actually hear JP singing live in CM. That's a first since MM joined. Some songs also feel a bit faster, are they not playing to a click anymore?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Thanks, buddy!  Just got back from vacation, downloading now!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
We had a slight unschedule addition at yesterday's show! Jordan played a short piano solo between TSCO and About To Crash, featuring the Italian National Anthem (which the crowd proceeded to sing along to once we realised what was going on :D )

Also, James has fully recovered from his illness. He sounds perfectly alright and some now!
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
An Italian crowd sing along with something? Get outta town! :metal

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
An Italian crowd sing along with something? Get outta town! :metal

We sang along the instrumental section of ACOS2 :D
- Marco

Offline nikatapi

I have a feeling that MM is using triggers on the bass drums, and this is evident on pretty much every live video from this tour. I'm not sure i like it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I have a feeling that MM is using triggers on the bass drums, and this is evident on pretty much every live video from this tour. I'm not sure i like it.

I haven't seen any of the footage, but I am curious to know what he is triggering that you have a problem with.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
I like these summer tours. Yes, the setlist is usually shorter, but the venues are usually much more fascinating.

This is yesterday's in Pistoia

And this is where they'll play tonight in Marseille!
- Marco

Offline As I Am

• Banned

This is in Pistoia

THAT is AWESOME looking!!!!!!!! :coolio

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I love European outdoor concerts. They're so beautiful.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MajorBoobage

Thanks man, good stuff!
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline Darkstarshades

My question...
Did they tell Systematic Chaos and ADTOE to go fuck themselves and played The Count of Tuscany at Tuscany?
Jatruccyundessgini