Author Topic: 2015-16 NBA thread v. Changing of the guard  (Read 42834 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: 2015-16 NBA thread v. Changing of the guard
« Reply #735 on: June 20, 2016, 08:28:51 AM »
What an amazing Game 7! I felt bad for the Warriors because they didn't play to their regular standard these last few games, but I think that was because:

1) The Cavs, and LeBron in particular, played great on both ends.

2) The Warriors had a lot of injuries.

3) The Draymond suspension will always be a bit of a controversial one.

I think that LeBron is now a clear-cut top five player ever. It would require more effort to argue otherwise than to argue him as high as even two or three. I think he's like T-4th in MVPs, T-2nd in Finals MVPs, 2nd in PER, 1st in Basketball Reference's advanced plus-minus and wins above replacement player metrics, and is on pace to also finish top three in All-NBA selections and career win shares. We're lucky to be able to watch the guy.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #736 on: June 20, 2016, 12:17:54 PM »
I've been very critical of LeBron in the past - I thought the Miami Heat debacle was just that - and kind of - kind of - put that to rest when he came back to Cleveland.  I thought that was a class move in a career that was impressive but always seeming to lack the humility that the truly great ones had.  And sure enough he plays out of his tits and brings home the bacon.

So we had a family crisis and I didn't get to see the game, but tuned in to the immediate post game, and saw the interview between the horrible, boring, flat Doris Burke with Lebron.   Let me summarize - this not more than ten minutes after Kyrie Irving buried a monstrous three in a tie fucking game with less than a minute on the clock and three seconds on the shot clock:  "I, blah, blah, blah, I, I, I, blah, blah, blah, I blah, I blah, I blah, I, I, I, blah, blah, blah.  Me, I, I, Me, blah, blah, blah, I, me, mine, blah, blah, blah, I blah, me blah, mine blah.  I." 

No doubt, LeBron is a monster, and he has done things that no other player has (or at least a very elite few have) done, and to win down 3-1 to a very good team is a sheer feat of willpower.   But just when I want to love him and embrace him as a man among men, one of the greats all time in sports, there's the "I" problem.   

Derek Jeter, Joe Montana, Wayne Gretzky, or Michael Jordan would never have made that mistake.     

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #737 on: June 20, 2016, 12:41:27 PM »
Sounds like you are hearing what you want to, since he gave mad props to Kyrie, JR Smith, their coaching staff, etc. He was gushing when talking about JR Smith in his press conference. But I get it, some of you will always find nits to pick with him. ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 12:56:19 PM by KevShmev »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: June 20, 2016, 01:10:50 PM »
Super happy for the city of Cleveland. What an awesome series.

and with that.... draft night is later this week.  :omg:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #739 on: June 20, 2016, 02:18:57 PM »
Sounds like you are hearing what you want to, since he gave mad props to Kyrie, JR Smith, their coaching staff, etc. He was gushing when talking about JR Smith in his press conference. But I get it, some of you will always find nits to pick with him. ;)

Kev, if he said that then props to him.  I'm not "looking" to hate, just the opposite.  It was just that one on-court interview with Doris Burke, but I give that credence, because it is pure and "in the moment".  It's where his thoughts were at the moment of truth. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #740 on: June 20, 2016, 02:26:21 PM »
Super happy for the city of Cleveland.

This.  Very cool for them, although I hated to see it come to them this way. 

As for LeBron, I find it hard to understand how anyone who is not a hometown fan could like him.  I have given him the benefit of the doubt SO many times over the years, and actively rooted for the guy to finally win his first title when he was in Miami.  So "looking for reasons" doesn't apply in the slightest.  He keeps ruining any ability to be liked, as far as I'm concerned.  But, hey, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter to him one lick whether he is ultimately "liked," so whatev'.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #741 on: June 20, 2016, 03:57:47 PM »
LeBron deserves all the credit but damn,  this surprised me.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #742 on: June 20, 2016, 04:15:50 PM »
Key teammates named Kevin:

Larry Bird: 1
Lebron James: 1
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #743 on: June 20, 2016, 04:18:08 PM »
But it's also inaccurate to compare them by age rather than seasons played since they didn't enter the NBA at nearly the same age. They both entered the NBA a month shy of their birthday since they both have December birthdays but Bird was approachin 23 whereas LBJ was approaching 19. Not saying it'll change anything but it makes it much more credible to compare equal bodies of work.

Edit: just realized this stat is specifically referring to them during the single season in which they were 30, not their career averages from their rookie seasons all the way through to age 30. This means we're comparing Bird's 8th season to LBJ's 12th and that was Bird's third best season scoring against LBJ's second worst. You could open a malt shop with the straws that pic is grasping at and, to be clear, I thoroughly love Larry Bird anyway.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 04:34:13 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: June 20, 2016, 04:19:58 PM »
Key teammates named Kevin:

Larry Bird: 1

The best stat ever. 

One Kevin had bolts in his neck though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #745 on: June 20, 2016, 04:24:04 PM »
Key teammates named Chief:

Larry 1
Lebron 0
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DT.net Member
« Reply #746 on: June 20, 2016, 04:36:17 PM »
Role-playing teammates named Booby:

Larry Bird: 0

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: June 20, 2016, 04:45:34 PM »
Both played with a freckled African American.

Draw.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:16:22 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #748 on: June 20, 2016, 05:32:12 PM »
But it's also inaccurate to compare them by age rather than seasons played since they didn't enter the NBA at nearly the same age. They both entered the NBA a month shy of their birthday since they both have December birthdays but Bird was approachin 23 whereas LBJ was approaching 19. Not saying it'll change anything but it makes it much more credible to compare equal bodies of work.

Edit: just realized this stat is specifically referring to them during the single season in which they were 30, not their career averages from their rookie seasons all the way through to age 30. This means we're comparing Bird's 8th season to LBJ's 12th and that was Bird's third best season scoring against LBJ's second worst. You could open a malt shop with the straws that pic is grasping at and, to be clear, I thoroughly love Larry Bird anyway.

QFT.  Bird is one of my all-time favorite players, but yeah, let's be serious.

Kev, if he said that then props to him.  I'm not "looking" to hate, just the opposite.  It was just that one on-court interview with Doris Burke, but I give that credence, because it is pure and "in the moment".  It's where his thoughts were at the moment of truth.

I went back and watched it.  The first question he was asked was, "What are you feeling right now?"  Of course he is going to answer with "I this" and "I that," unless he is supposed to get inside his teammates' heads and discuss how they felt as well. :lol :lol :lol  This just feels like nitpicking for the sake of it.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #749 on: June 20, 2016, 05:38:41 PM »
Alrighty. I went all in on my research and these are the results...

Here are where their respective 30-year old seasons' averages rank among all of their other personal seasons in their careers. This is comparing exactly 13 seasons for each, too, since they now have identical career lengths by seasons and this is only slightly skewed by the injury-shortened seasons toward the end of Bird's career where his games played by season were as follows (every other season he played at least 74 games):

88-89: 6
90-91: 60
91-92: 45

Bird 3rd
LBJ Tied 11th

Rebounds:

Bird 11th
LBJ 12th

Assists:

Bird 1st
LBJ 2nd

Field Goal Percentage:

Bird 2nd
LBJ 8th

PER:

Bird 3rd
LBJ 11th

Averaging out these ranks, it comes out like this:

Bird 4.0
LBJ 8.8

So, all total, this "info" graphic boils down to more or less comparing Bird's 4th best season to what would almost be Lebron's 9th best (or 5th worst depending on how you view it) even with LBJ having done this 12 years into his career against Bird's 8th.

While researching this, I couldn't help but notice how much better some of LBJ's stats were. Here is where Bird's best season averages for these five stats would rank if inserted into LBJ's stats:

Rebounds: 1st

Assists: 2nd

Field Goal Percentage: 4th

PER: 8th

I'm making this post not to say LBJ is definitively better than Bird because I consider them to be not that far apart overall but rather to point out what a completely shitty job of "research" the creator of that pic did.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that 30-year old Bird was playing on a team coming off a 67-15 season where they'd won their third title in six seasons and set a still-standing NBA record by going 40-1 at home and LBJ's 30-year old season involved him rejoining a Cavs team with a roster he'd never played with coming off a 33-49 season.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 08:06:35 PM by black_floyd »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #750 on: June 20, 2016, 07:08:26 PM »
As a Steeler fan, I've always liked having the boot on Cleveland's throat - but must admit I'm happy they got off the schneid.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #751 on: June 20, 2016, 07:16:28 PM »
Blame my fellow countryman Anderson Varejao: Vice with Cavaliers against Golden State, now vice with Golden State against Cavaliers :rollin
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: June 20, 2016, 07:18:55 PM »
I do think LeBron has had a lesser cast than Bird.  For sure.