Author Topic: 2015-16 NBA thread v. Changing of the guard  (Read 42852 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Re: 2015-16 NBA thread v. Changing of the guard
« Reply #175 on: January 24, 2016, 10:11:29 AM »
I must say...

I don't know if Blatt was a good coach or a bad coach. I don't know if he was a good guy or a jerk. Whatever the case, the reporting surrounding his firing has been, in my opinion, absolutely disgraceful for all involved. People are coming out of the woodwork left and right to throw shade at the guy, but no one is attaching a name to their comments. Opportunistic reporters are jumping on every opportunity to stir controversy and get sports fans riled up.

Imagine you're David Blatt, and you're hearing about dozens and dozens of quotes - again, all unnamed - talking shit about you. I get it, it's part of the job. I don't want to sound like I'm playing the world's smallest violin, but this whole thing seems a little TMZ to me.

On a side note, I've always been a fan of LeBron, but if he indeed has been lobbying for Blatt's firing so the Cavs could hire Mark Jackson... Oh my God. Between his lazy play early last year, his moping, his calling out coaches and teammates, and now this... I think there's a credible case to be made that LeBron is the second best player ever, but his career keeps getting stranger and stranger.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #176 on: January 24, 2016, 11:15:50 AM »
In Miami, Spo had Lelbron tamed. Riley wouldn't put up with any of this BS. Seems like Cleveland's FO is not in control, Lelbron is.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #177 on: January 24, 2016, 06:15:35 PM »
One point of caution, though, when reading Woj on LeBron -- it seems like Woj has beef with LBJ bc LeBron's camp doesn't give him any scoops:

https://newrepublic.com/article/120572/adrian-wojnarowski-how-basketballs-reporting-machine-gets-his-scoops

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2016, 05:11:24 AM »
One point of caution, though, when reading Woj on LeBron -- it seems like Woj has beef with LBJ bc LeBron's camp doesn't give him any scoops:

https://newrepublic.com/article/120572/adrian-wojnarowski-how-basketballs-reporting-machine-gets-his-scoops

That's an interesting article and it does seem like Woj has a beef with LBJ however I don't think he would go to the length of fabricating a story just to stick it to LBJ. And as Jamesman said, there are several reports, not just Woj's, that LBJ tried to pull some of the things that Woj talks about in Miami but Riley would have none of that.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2016, 07:42:24 AM »

Awesome link. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2016, 03:30:59 AM »
Well, there's no stopping the warriors apparently...

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2016, 04:46:44 AM »
Well, there's no stopping the warriors apparently...

SHUT IT DOWN, LET'S GO HOME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6uALYCAaoM

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2016, 08:18:20 AM »
Leonard looked every bit the MVP last night.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2016, 08:22:23 PM »
Leonard looked every bit the MVP last night.

:lol :lol :lol Exactly.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2016, 08:26:15 PM »
I'm sure there must be a gif of this video somewhere where Curry completely fakes him out and then drains a 3:  https://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25462257/watch-steph-curry-fakes-out-kawhi-leonard-drains-shot
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: January 27, 2016, 12:17:33 PM »
Very good analysis on the cavs during the last games with Blatt as coach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbO_505V3Uo

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #186 on: January 27, 2016, 12:51:01 PM »
Very good analysis on the cavs during the last games with Blatt as coach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbO_505V3Uo

Yeah. BBALLBREAKDOWN is great.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2016, 06:11:40 PM »
Honestly, I think the Golden State Warrior's will go all the way again. Think about it. They have an amazing ranged skill. Sometimes it ticks me off, but they are the Warriors. They are a nightmare from the 3 point line, hence the name for Curry and Thompson, The Splash Brothers.
They rarely try going in to the post for a shot. They usually nail everything from the 3 point line.
Not only are they a nightmare from the 3 point line, they are a good team defensively. If you look in the Hollinger's NBA Team Stats, you will see that the Warriors are in third.

https://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/effectiveFGPct

The only true rivals of the Warriors would be either the Thunder, Spurs, and Cavs. If they can't take them down, no one will. The Warriors already beat the Spurs and the Cavs...twice! I am pretty sure that the Warriors will have the advantage over the Thunder, but if Russ and Kev play well....it will be very interesting, that's for sure.  :corn
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2016, 09:22:46 PM »
51 pts, 19 of 28 from the field, 11 of 16 from 3pt land, in 36 minutes tonight. Dayum man, Steph is unreal.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2016, 03:26:55 AM »
Steph is 55 3 pointer's  away from beating his record and he has 35 games left to do it. I think he makes over 300 this year easily.

Edit: He is also doing this while shooting 50/45/90.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2016, 03:41:10 AM »
Steph is 55 3 pointer's  away from beating his record and he has 35 games left to do it. I think he makes over 300 this year easily.

Edit: He is also doing this while shooting 50/45/90.

I hope the Dubs go all the way again this season, and Curry keeps his shooting at 50/45/90 by the end of the regular season as well.  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #191 on: February 04, 2016, 07:51:53 AM »
Dude might be having the best season ever. What a beast.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #192 on: February 04, 2016, 08:34:51 AM »
Honestly, last night's game was pretty frustrating.  Not to sound like a spoiled fan, but the issue is that their defense was awful, and this is a team that prides itself and was built on suffocating defense.  Their offense, including Stef, should not have had to work as hard as it did if they were doing their jobs defensively.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2016, 06:39:13 PM »
Honestly, last night's game was pretty frustrating.  Not to sound like a spoiled fan, but the issue is that their defense was awful, and this is a team that prides itself and was built on suffocating defense.  Their offense, including Stef, should not have had to work as hard as it did if they were doing their jobs defensively.

I guess with the ASG coming up, and a chance to visit the White House and the Prez must have gotten everyone excited; and perhaps making them all taking last night's game lightly. Hey, they are humans too, and it is hard to get everyone focus for all 82 games.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:44:00 AM by Azyiu »
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #194 on: February 05, 2016, 09:11:47 AM »

It will be interesting to see how the playoffs go. When we think of best season ever, are we mentally thinking "regular + playoffs" combined? Curry is pretty unique in that he's having these incredible seasons AND already enjoying championship level success.

I would put Jordan's 87-88 regular season over almost anything: his first MVP season when he not only averaged 35 points a game but also won DEFENSIVE player of the year. That's absolutely incredible. But that Bulls team only won 1 round in the playoffs because the team had only just drafted soon-to-be key pieces like Pippen, Horace Grant, and nor was Phil the coach yet.

EDIT: to make that first paragraph more clear, what i mean is that, at least in the last 30-35 years, it seems like it takes a bit longer for a player to become both BEST in the league and a title-winner. Took Jordan a long time, as well as Lebron... Magic and Bird won early titles but were they the best players? I guess you could make a good argument for Bird in 86, and that would be his 6th year in the league. This is also Steph's 6th year -- so maybe not as unique as I originally thought. I honestly just wanted to bring up that 88 Jordan season, lol
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:23:45 AM by contest_sanity »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: February 05, 2016, 09:18:48 AM »
Can't wait to see how my semi-beloved Thunder do against the Warriors tomorrow night.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #196 on: February 05, 2016, 09:22:45 AM »

It will be interesting to see how the playoffs go. When we think of best season ever, are we mentally thinking "regular + playoffs" combined? Curry is pretty unique in that he's having these incredible seasons AND already enjoying championship level success.

I would put Jordan's 87-88 regular season over almost anything: his first MVP season when he not only averaged 35 points a game but also won DEFENSIVE player of the year. That's absolutely incredible. But that Bulls team only won 1 round in the playoffs because the team had only just drafted soon-to-be key pieces like Pippen, Horace Grant, and nor was Phil the coach yet.

No doubt.  And the Warriors do consistently portray an image of being focused on the long-term goal.  Whenever anyone is talking to any of the coaches or players about any of their accomplishments this season, the response is always the same:  "Hey, that's great.  But that isn't what we are focused on.  The point is to win a championship.  If that other stuff happens, cool, but we aren't going to do anything different to pursue such-and-such a record or stat-line.  We are playing to get back to the championship and win it."  And I don't think it is lip service.  I think that truly is the focus of every member of this organization.  But Azyiu is right; it is hard to translate that into absolute, precise focus for every single game in an 82-game season. 

Can't wait to see how my semi-beloved Thunder do against the Warriors tomorrow night.

I am interested as well.  It should be a good test for both teams.  It is interesting how, no matter how they are playing in general, they have often been able to rise up and demolish the top-tier teams this season.  It will be interesting to see how that will play out in Saturday's game.  I am almost looking forward to that game as much as the SB.  :lol

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #197 on: February 05, 2016, 09:26:26 AM »
I hope the thunder doesn't win a championship or possibly lose at the first round.
Lakers might be able to get Westbrook and durant with their money. Kobe will be gone next year, they could have a good draft pick and Westbrook and durant.
Do you guys think this will happen?
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #198 on: February 05, 2016, 09:30:11 AM »
Durant has been talking Warriors.  Think about how sick that would be.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #199 on: February 05, 2016, 09:32:44 AM »
That would be pretty tight, but the Warriors already have an extremely strong and talented team. If they add KD, it might mess up their chemistry and it'll take awhile before they get used to each other.
look at what happened to the cavs.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: February 05, 2016, 09:36:39 AM »
Durant make SO much money in endorsements (a lot of them do), that he could go play basketball anywhere he wants without necessarily needing max money. Can't wait to see what he decides. He's the reason I started following the Thunder, so It'll be interesting to see where my loyalties lie when the dust settles. I will say that through the years, I've grown to like Westbrook just as much. He's one of the most tenacious players that I've ever seen in this era.

If Russell emerges in LA, they may not be as interested in Westbrook. Or they can make Russell disappear much like the Cavs did with Wiggins. A very intriguing next couple of years of free agency, to say the least.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #201 on: February 05, 2016, 09:37:23 AM »
That would be pretty tight, but the Warriors already have an extremely strong and talented team. If they add KD, it might mess up their chemistry and it'll take awhile before they get used to each other.
Quite possible, yes.  But given how he plays, there actually is a logical spot for him on the roster.  As good as Barnes is, putting him in Barnes' spot would unequivocally be a massive upgrade.  If he could fit in chemistry-wise...I can't even comprehend how good their starting lineup would be.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #202 on: February 05, 2016, 09:37:34 AM »
Durant make SO much money in endorsements (a lot of them do), that he could go play basketball anywhere he wants without necessarily needing max money. Can't wait to see what he decides. He's the reason I started following the Thunder, so It'll be interesting to see where my loyalties lie when the dust settles. I will say that through the years, I've grown to like Westbrook just as much. He's one of the most tenacious players that I've ever seen in this era.

If Russell emerges in LA, they may not be as interested in Westbrook. Or they can make Russell disappear much like the Cavs did with Wiggins. A very intriguing next couple of years of free agency, to say the least.
True.
Then what was your opinion. of the Harden trade?

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #203 on: February 05, 2016, 09:38:59 AM »
Quite possible, yes.  But given how he plays, there actually is a logical spot for him on the roster.  As good as Barnes is, putting him in Barnes' spot would unequivocally be a massive upgrade.  If he could fit in chemistry-wise...I can't even comprehend how good their starting lineup would be.
Yeah. It would be a but tough to get used to, but if it works, they will be very deadly.
Now I'm wondering if Harden stayed, would the thunder already have a championship?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #204 on: February 05, 2016, 09:42:33 AM »
I didn't really know Harden then.  Was he as much of a diva as he is now, or did that part of his personality emerge after he left?  Despite his play, his attitude may well have gotten in the way of them ever winning if he had stayed. 

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #205 on: February 05, 2016, 09:43:43 AM »
I came across a quote from Steve Kerr in Bill Simmons' basketball book, when Simmons was asking him if the 96 or 97 Bulls were better; this quote might have scary significance for just HOW good the Warriors are now. I'm paraphrasing, but Simmons was describing the 96 72 win season as the Bulls being in "eff-you" mode and could there be anything greater than that?

While Kerr didn't exactly say the team a year later was better, he said that the 97 Bulls transcended "eff-you" mode and entered "you absolutely cannot beat us" mode.

I have kind of thought that the Warriors this year would fall short of 73+ wins -- but now I have to wonder: what if they have already reached "you absolutely cannot beat us" mode?

I was sorta viewing 73 wins as almost arrogant territory, like: you can shoot for it, I guess, but it might come back to bite you. But if they have actually reached "can't be beaten" levels of play and confidence, maybe 73 wins is just part of what they owe it to themselves to achieve...

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: February 05, 2016, 09:44:10 AM »

True.

There wasn't enough basketballs for those threes stars. I mean, I loved having Harden coming off the bench, but he needed to go somewhere where he could be daddy.  I felt that the Thunder got got value for him, even if Martin bolted for Minnesota and Lamb didn't quite pan out. But yeah, in a perfect world, would have loved to have seen all 3 stick together.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #207 on: February 05, 2016, 09:50:47 AM »
I didn't really know Harden then.  Was he as much of a diva as he is now, or did that part of his personality emerge after he left?  Despite his play, his attitude may well have gotten in the way of them ever winning if he had stayed. 
Yeah, Harden gradually changed into a superstar he fully is. He was the 6th man and after some bballbreakdown, yeh, hardens attitude kind of costed them. Mixed feelings about harden.

True.

There wasn't enough basketballs for those threes stars. I mean, I loved having Harden coming off the bench, but he needed to go somewhere where he could be daddy.  I felt that the Thunder got got value for him, even if Martin bolted for Minnesota and Lamb didn't quite pan out. But yeah, in a perfect world, would have loved to have seen all 3 stick together.
Yes, I've been  saying that Westbrook is the best point guard right now with curry falling just in second. I think he might actually be a star in LA. He will be surrounded by a lot of talent.
Money issues.....still I don't think it was an excuse to get rid of harden.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #208 on: February 05, 2016, 10:01:44 AM »
I came across a quote from Steve Kerr in Bill Simmons' basketball book, when Simmons was asking him if the 96 or 97 Bulls were better; this quote might have scary significance for just HOW good the Warriors are now. I'm paraphrasing, but Simmons was describing the 96 72 win season as the Bulls being in "eff-you" mode and could there be anything greater than that?

While Kerr didn't exactly say the team a year later was better, he said that the 97 Bulls transcended "eff-you" mode and entered "you absolutely cannot beat us" mode.

I have kind of thought that the Warriors this year would fall short of 73+ wins -- but now I have to wonder: what if they have already reached "you absolutely cannot beat us" mode?

I was sorta viewing 73 wins as almost arrogant territory, like: you can shoot for it, I guess, but it might come back to bite you. But if they have actually reached "can't be beaten" levels of play and confidence, maybe 73 wins is just part of what they owe it to themselves to achieve...

They certainly talk that way.  But I'm not sure whether they really are there yet.  If not, they are certainly close. 

In terms of 73, even with what they have accomplished on their schedule so far, it is still going to be a really tall order.  I can't say they have had a cream puff schedule, but they definitely have a tougher schedule to finish out he season.  They still have OKC and San Antonio 3 times each!  And if you look at their last 7 games in April, that is going to be a tough stretch as well, with Memphis twice and San Antonio twice as their last 4 games.  If the #1 seed is still in jeopardy and they have to play to win, they will still probably lose a couple in the last month of the season.  And if the #1 is locked up and they can coast and play their backups, they will certainly drop a few games.  It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #209 on: February 05, 2016, 10:18:01 AM »
You know Jordan played in all 82 games the year they won 72? That's insane! Seems like resting players, though, is a fairly newer phenomenon. Somehow Jordan mostly avoided major injuries during his career.