Author Topic: What sucks about your job?  (Read 7809 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: What sucks about your job?
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2015, 11:50:40 AM »
I really don't understand the dignity comment. The dignity should lie in your work, not on your exterior. I have friends under the age 30 making $125k a year as software/security developers for a fiber optic cable company here in CT. They wears jeans and a t-shirt every day. Pretty sure companies are way more interested in what their bottom line says rather than what their employees look like hiding behind their monitors all day. If simply allowing an employee to wear a t-shirt allows them to not be drenched in sweat by noon, and that gives the employee a better attitude and results in better productivity, why would you not do it?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2015, 11:57:40 AM »
I really don't understand the dignity comment. The dignity should lie in your work, not on your exterior. I have friends under the age 30 making $125k a year as software/security developers for a fiber optic cable company here in CT. They wears jeans and a t-shirt every day. Pretty sure companies are way more interested in what their bottom line says rather than what their employees look like hiding behind their monitors all day. If simply allowing an employee to wear a t-shirt allows them to not be drenched in sweat by noon, and that gives the employee a better attitude and results in better productivity, why would you not do it?

I agree completely.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2015, 12:29:03 PM »
Agreed, but like I said, I can see client facing workers always being required to dress to impress.  A lot of people do still put value in "looking the part" per se.  For people in an office, who the fuck cares what you wear IMO.  I agree with the statement if people are more comfortable, then they are more happy in the work environment which leads to more production.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2015, 12:39:01 PM »
Agreed. There are things that require a certain degree of formality, but sitting in my cubicle while listening to Steel Panther isn't one of them.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2015, 01:03:42 PM »
I think as time goes by you'll see more companies having no dress codes.  My company has this policy, the CEO wears shorts and flip flops while he holds company wide meetings.  It's a trend of dressing down that's been going on for a long time now.  There will always be the client facing employees who need to hold appearances, but I think over time the regular office workers will be dressing down more and more.
Not speaking about any one person here, but a common theme in these types of threads is "management blows, they promoted [insert local douchebag] over me, but I would've kicked the shit out of that job!" and I wonder if stuff like this isn't beginning to answer why that might have happened.   I think we like to think it's "all about the work" but there is too much data, too much history to show that like it or not, that isn't true.   If you don't care enough to dress with a little dignity, or are so sensitive that the kind of shirt you wear throws you off your game, how are you going to be in a real pressure situation?

Dress with a little dignity? Who defines that standard? People used to wear suits just because they were getting on a plane or going to a baseball game. Why'd that stop? Why don't employers treat their employees with some dignity and judge them based on work ethic and what they deliver rather than what they wear? Oh yeah, most of the successful ones have already figured that out.

Oh, ok.  I remember when the internet boom hit, and the big fad was foozball and flipflops, and Jack Welch told them to go F themselves.  Most of those companies are gone (or swallowed up) and GE is still one of the top 5 companies in the world, and the premier leader in business management.   So, yeah, the successful ones HAVE determined what works.   As for the "cubicle" thing, you still walk in and out of the building.  So people see smartly dressed men and women walking into your building, or a group of kids who look like they are looking for the bathroom after a Dave Matthews concert.  You'd be right if it was all about the employee, but it's not.  Like it or not (and clearly you don't) you are representing.  As long as that is the case, it's not your call to make. 

And in any event, since you are a "FACTS" and "SCIENCE" guy, check these out:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ruchikatulshyan/2013/10/17/is-casual-dress-killing-your-productivity-at-work/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-leadership/post/new-study-what-you-wear-could-affect-how-well-you-work/2011/04/01/gIQAssHomR_blog.html

So if you're about "dignity", why would you ever put your employer in the position of paying for inferior quality production?

As for the planes, well, I think we had that conversation here a while ago.  That's a problem too.  Nothing worse than sitting down next to some douche whose gross fungus ridden toes are now in full view (and smell) and mere inches from me.  Have some decency and some consideration.  The world is not your bedroom. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2015, 01:14:16 PM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ruchikatulshyan/2013/10/17/is-casual-dress-killing-your-productivity-at-work/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-leadership/post/new-study-what-you-wear-could-affect-how-well-you-work/2011/04/01/gIQAssHomR_blog.html

So if you're about "dignity", why would you ever put your employer in the position of paying for inferior quality production?

As for the planes, well, I think we had that conversation here a while ago.  That's a problem too.  Nothing worse than sitting down next to some douche whose gross fungus ridden toes are now in full view (and smell) and mere inches from me.  Have some decency and some consideration.  The world is not your bedroom.

I just read both, and there is not a single FACT in either, other then referencing the same study done with doctors and the white coats.  Which honestly is more like uniform IMO, but I can see how they draw the conclusions, both articles also say there is no proof in what you wear effects how you work.  I personally feel if you feel comfortable, you work better, it may only be my opinion since I don't know any studies done on that end of the spectrum.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2015, 01:23:17 PM »

Lol. You call those facts?

At no point did I say I wanted to wear open toe sandals, or even a t-shirt for that matter. All I said was I'd like to wear a nice pair of shorts and a polo.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2015, 03:25:55 PM »
Pixar's offices look like the coolest place to work

Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2015, 03:40:35 PM »
Look at that guy in the shed, I don't think I've ever seen someone with less dignity.

Calvin6s

« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2015, 03:53:45 PM »
Look at that guy in the shed, I don't think I've ever seen someone with less dignity.

???

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: August 06, 2015, 04:21:17 PM »
He was being sarcastic. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2015, 05:43:16 PM »
I guess that shed is like having your own office?   :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2015, 05:45:30 PM »
I'd want my office to be the apartment from TS2

Offline Cable

« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2015, 07:25:35 PM »
I have power that could mean death for people, if I'm not careful. Also, stressful when my schedule was crammed back to back to back- but the first is the welcome but scary challenge. The later was something I should and will exert more control over if recommended to me again.
---

Offline SeventhDegree

• of Inner Turbulence
« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2015, 09:27:07 PM »
Hmmm, where to begin...

There have been no raises in God knows how long (except for upper management)
No gratitude or appreciation
No decent benefits
No sick days (used to have them, they went bye-bye)
Overall depressing work environment
Equipment is junk and in disrepair
Not getting the Friday after Thanksgiving off like the rest of the non-retail civilized world
Not getting Christmas Eve off
Management are a bunch of clueless douchebags
The foreman treats the people under him like dirt

That's all I can think of now.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 01:07:39 PM by SeventhDegree »
"I'm tired of Facebook, tired of my failing health
I'm tired of everyone, and that includes myself."
----------Steven Wilson, 2017