Author Topic: What sucks about your job?  (Read 7862 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: What sucks about your job?
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2015, 05:36:39 AM »
A lot of cool people are leaving for Denver :(

Denver doesn't seem to be a bad place to go, one of the guys I work with just moved there and gets to work remotely.

Calvin6s

« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2015, 06:23:35 PM »

Where did that come from?  I had friends that moved to Denver (and Boulder) in the 90s, but they all came back to Southern California.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2015, 09:26:14 PM »

Denver doesn't seem to be a bad place to go, one of the guys I work with just moved there and gets to work remotely.

People are moving here at an astounding rate.

Offline Cable

« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2015, 01:50:42 AM »
Is it marijuana? Any written about reasons?
---

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2015, 02:08:30 AM »
The only thing that sucks about my job is the vacuum cleaner.

:biggrin:

Thank you ! Thank You !

TRY THE MOTHER FUCKING SAUSAGE ! :angry:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2015, 05:18:57 AM »

Definitely, from what I read many families with children who have illnesses that medical marijuana can help with have moved there so they can support their children.  Im sure there's also many that are going for the recreational use as well.  I bet there are other reasons to move there as well, but I think the marijuana industry is the main reason for the spike.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2015, 01:45:30 PM »
Quick update on the Pharmacy thing. I've been going through this course for a few hours a day lately. It's crazy. Nothing impossible, but I'm definitely studying more things that I expected (appropriate attire, attitude, the history of pharmacy, etc...). I'm still set on going into hospital pharmacy, and seeing that McPharmacy video hammered in the point :lol
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2015, 02:00:07 PM »

Definitely, from what I read many families with children who have illnesses that medical marijuana can help with have moved there so they can support their children.  Im sure there's also many that are going for the recreational use as well.  I bet there are other reasons to move there as well, but I think the marijuana industry is the main reason for the spike.

The hospitality industry is really starting to boom as well. There's this slick as fuck huge new hotel being built by the airport and resturaunts are exploding, if you're going to school for something hospitality related, Denver is a great city to be in.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2015, 08:53:47 AM »
Ugh...

Hotel front desk clerk has been my career life forever. I took on my first job for experience (and because my Dad was the manager, pretty sweet deal), and found that I rather enjoyed the line of work aside from a massive host of issues. I worked my fucking ass off that summer for a measly 8 dollars an hour, went back to school, and then picked up a few shifts here and there. The business fell apart after we had a minor fire that set off the sprinkler systems and fucked up the entire first floor. Yes, the sprinklers caused more damage than the actual fire. Cute.

Sum up of problems with job #1: Shitty owners who committed insurance fraud, generally treated employees like shit, cut costs at every possible turn, ran business into ground because everyone who worked there was miserable. Front desk workers had to run the desk, do laundry, and set up a fairly extensive breakfast in the morning. This is 3 or 4 peoples' jobs for 1 person for below minimum wage. We had 2 housekeepers for 83 rooms. I have no idea how in the holy fuck they made that work but they did. Maintenance guy was a complete twat that never did anything he was told and when he did he never solved any problems. Guests get mad at the desk in turn because there was nobody else to direct anger towards. Yeah. Good start.

Job #2 was a massive improvement. I managed to land a gig at the absolute nicest hotel in town. It was practically walking distance from my apartment, so no commute at all. Only problem was it was night auditing, which has its own set of problems. Overall, the property was run very well. The GM was generally pretty cool, at least to start (more on that later). The business did really well, selling out 4 or 5 days out of the week. Maintenance was good (ish), we had more like 10 housekeepers for 81 rooms, and the guests were usually pretty great. Really, all the issues of that job could be stemmed down to working nights. It was a miserable sleep schedule, and night workers basically had to do all the annoying shit that nobody else wanted to do earlier in the day. I really didn't mind this too much until I started getting called out almost every day through the log book by my immediate superior, and never getting the chance to defend myself because I never got to interact with any of the higher ups because of my sleep schedule. So I basically became a martyr for everything anyone was annoyed about. Kind of shitty, but I put up with it for a summer, quit on semi-decent terms, and went to finish school.

Finished school for music education, decided I hate my major. Whelp.

On to job #3. Now I'm working at an upscale hotel north of where I live. The desk people are treated like royalty, communication is frequent and easy, there are multiple departments to handle any and all issues, and life is utterly fantastic. I could do this job for the rest of my life.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2015, 09:18:57 AM »

God I hope they're from SoCal.....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2015, 02:05:37 PM »
Not this job per se - but any job...

Where you're literally *just* bout to do something and the manager comes in and asks you to do it.

Or asks you to do something when you're quite clearly already doing it.

:tdwn SO much rage.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2015, 05:46:35 PM »

Where you're literally *just* bout to do something and the manager comes in and asks you to do it.

Slightly similar, when you are already packed up and ready to clearly leave for the day and your boss asks you to do one more thing... like you could have told me all day, but you waited until you saw I was leaving for the day to ask.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2015, 06:16:05 PM »

I hate that too, but I have a way to turn that around, at least at my job.

I don't have a manager per say, but I work under and do what the pharmacists tell me to do, so when they pick up the phone I listen to what the nurse on the other line is asking them for and before they get off the phone I get it ready and put it in front of them to sign off on.

So when they get off the phone and ask me to get something, my response is " Its already right in front of you, can you sign off on it"

I love the people I work with, so its all in good fun really

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2015, 07:33:40 PM »
Why does my job suck?  Hmm...let me count the ways...

To the point where the only thing that sucks worse than my shitty job is revising my resume and looking for a new one.  So for now I'll continue just being miserable at my current job.
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2015, 05:41:09 AM »
Shortly after leaving my house this morning I legitimately considered letting an oncoming bus t-bone me just so I wouldn't have to go into work today.

Calvin6s

« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2015, 06:39:55 AM »
Shortly after leaving my house this morning I legitimately considered letting an oncoming bus t-bone me just so I wouldn't have to go into work today.

Honest question.  Is this the new job you were getting at the end of last year?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2015, 06:47:09 AM »

Honest answer. Yes.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2015, 06:49:56 AM »
You leave it will be the same job that will kill you at another place.  you can't take less with the house now so you might as well build on what you have for 401 and vacation time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2015, 06:57:17 AM »
I figure I could take a $10k-$12k hit salary wise before I was in danger of losing the house. Finances are snug, but Victoria and I do indulge quite a bit (like last week when we randomly booked six nights in DC over Christmas). Either way, I wouldn't want to take a $10k hit unless it was part of a setup or investment that'd be returning that in the relative short term.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2015, 07:00:12 AM »
We all fall into that work rut but in the end, it does afford you to have a nice house and like you said to travel.  I massage my soul out of work to keep me sane.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2015, 07:05:14 AM »
I fully anticipated one day hitting the work rut. I just didn't think it'd be at 26  :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2015, 07:07:10 AM »

Honest answer. Yes.

Honest reply.  I'm sorry to hear that.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2015, 07:27:44 AM »
I fully anticipated one day hitting the work rut. I just didn't think it'd be at 26  :lol

Wait until 47! :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2015, 07:49:54 AM »
The fact that (as I keep going on about it)  I haven't called put in over 2.5 years, and every day I'm dealing with call-outs. I'm not even at work yet and I'm searching for coverage. Today it's my supervisor (can't give him shit... he's got a lot of shit going on at home right now)... so not only am I searching for coverage for him, I get to handle anyshit that comes in, in his place.  Mondays are usually my day to pass shit on to him and take a step back.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2015, 08:12:43 AM »
The fact that (as I keep going on about it)  I haven't called put in over 2.5 years, and every day I'm dealing with call-outs. I'm not even at work yet and I'm searching for coverage. Today it's my supervisor (can't give him shit... he's got a lot of shit going on at home right now)... so not only am I searching for coverage for him, I get to handle anyshit that comes in, in his place.  Mondays are usually my day to pass shit on to him and take a step back.

That sucks. And it annoys me just as much.

I've been offered management positions and have had management position and never again will I ever have anything to do with them. Adult babysitter all the way. I'm just happy that my regular job allows me to have the life I want to have without having to seek out the higher pay of a management position.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2015, 07:49:26 AM »
I don't like the attire. It's 96 degrees outside and I have to wear long pants and a long sleeve button down. It's 2015. I sit in a cubicle and stare at a screen all day, and I occasionally have to sit in a meeting room with other people who are otherwise in cubicles all day. Let me throw on a comfortable pair of shorts and a polo for fucks sake. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2015, 08:07:25 AM »
I don't like the attire. It's 96 degrees outside and I have to wear long pants and a long sleeve button down. It's 2015. I sit in a cubicle and stare at a screen all day, and I occasionally have to sit in a meeting room with other people who are otherwise in cubicles all day. Let me throw on a comfortable pair of shorts and a polo for fucks sake.

A previous job had me wear a suit every day, yet my job required me to do physical work in a data center.  Lifting servers, running cables, getting on your hands as needed if something was lower in the server rack.  Such a stupid policy and it was all about appearance in the office.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2015, 08:15:02 AM »

A previous job had me wear a suit every day, yet my job required me to do physical work in a data center.  Lifting servers, running cables, getting on your hands as needed if something was lower in the server rack.  Such a stupid policy and it was all about appearance in the office.

Man, that really blows. Agreed about the stupidity of the policy. If you're in an environment where you have massive clients coming in and out, I can almost understand it. But I'm a business analyst. I work on the 6th floor of some random nearby building that my company leases in downtown Hartford. We have no one coming through. I'm not saying let me come in with basketball shorts and a t-shirt on, but at least let be be comfortable if I'm going to be chained to a desk. The girls get to where skirts and sleeveless shirts. Jealous.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2015, 08:21:43 AM »
I think as time goes by you'll see more companies having no dress codes.  My company has this policy, the CEO wears shorts and flip flops while he holds company wide meetings.  It's a trend of dressing down that's been going on for a long time now.  There will always be the client facing employees who need to hold appearances, but I think over time the regular office workers will be dressing down more and more.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2015, 08:32:18 AM »
The idea of not being able to wear scrubs was tried once a few years ago at my job, but the whole department flipped the fuck out and shot it down real quick.

I'm not giving up wearing pajamas to work  ;D

But I feel for people that have an uncomfortable dress code though. I always hated that.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2015, 09:18:37 AM »
I think as time goes by you'll see more companies having no dress codes.  My company has this policy, the CEO wears shorts and flip flops while he holds company wide meetings.  It's a trend of dressing down that's been going on for a long time now.  There will always be the client facing employees who need to hold appearances, but I think over time the regular office workers will be dressing down more and more.

Perhaps I'm showing my age, but I push back on that.   I can see long pants and a polo shirt, but anything else is now going the other way in my opinion.  Maybe because I'm higher than middle management, there's a level of respect that has to be earned/given, and frankly, looking at someone's bony knees and gnarly toes in a board meeting is a big fail for me.  Absent something like sensory processing disorder, it's just another way of taking the easy way out and making it all about the worker and not the work.  Hell, I work out of the house by myself and most days I dress better than that (today, I have a long sleeve button down shirt, a pair of Dockers shorts, and no shoes). 

Not speaking about any one person here, but a common theme in these types of threads is "management blows, they promoted [insert local douchebag] over me, but I would've kicked the shit out of that job!" and I wonder if stuff like this isn't beginning to answer why that might have happened.   I think we like to think it's "all about the work" but there is too much data, too much history to show that like it or not, that isn't true.   If you don't care enough to dress with a little dignity, or are so sensitive that the kind of shirt you wear throws you off your game, how are you going to be in a real pressure situation? 

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2015, 10:06:16 AM »
The first 2 years of college I was studying business, and I was going for management.

Now though I'm a psychology major and plan to get my Master's in counseling, and become a guidance counselor at a school. I think this is what I'm ultimately going to be happy with. Business didn't interest me, it just felt convenient. I'm still minoring in it though if that really means anything.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2015, 10:47:15 AM »

Perhaps I'm showing my age, but I push back on that.   I can see long pants and a polo shirt, but anything else is now going the other way in my opinion.  Maybe because I'm higher than middle management, there's a level of respect that has to be earned/given, and frankly, looking at someone's bony knees and gnarly toes in a board meeting is a big fail for me.  Absent something like sensory processing disorder, it's just another way of taking the easy way out and making it all about the worker and not the work.  Hell, I work out of the house by myself and most days I dress better than that (today, I have a long sleeve button down shirt, a pair of Dockers shorts, and no shoes). 

I think you come from the field of law right?  I think that will always be a business type of uniform.  I work for a tech company, and like google and the rest of all the tech start ups that have become big, dress codes have become non existent.  It also seemed like the younger generations value wearing a suit to work everyday less than the previous generation.  Even my own father used to wear a suit everyday and now wears business casual and he is above middle management for a global bank. But this is all from my view of the world in the bubble I live in, I could always be completely wrong.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2015, 11:24:15 AM »
Not speaking about any one person here, but a common theme in these types of threads is "management blows, they promoted [insert local douchebag] over me, but I would've kicked the shit out of that job!" and I wonder if stuff like this isn't beginning to answer why that might have happened.   I think we like to think it's "all about the work" but there is too much data, too much history to show that like it or not, that isn't true.   If you don't care enough to dress with a little dignity, or are so sensitive that the kind of shirt you wear throws you off your game, how are you going to be in a real pressure situation?

Dress with a little dignity? Who defines that standard? People used to wear suits just because they were getting on a plane or going to a baseball game. Why'd that stop? Why don't employers treat their employees with some dignity and judge them based on work ethic and what they deliver rather than what they wear? Oh yeah, most of the successful ones have already figured that out.

SpaceX

Netflix

Uber

Yahoo

Google

Facebook

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2015, 11:43:25 AM »
To go with that post, let me add my company in on this since we consider ourself in that same group

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFcfFj1wy0I