Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 325972 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club 30&Over/A.K.A. Andy's Love Advice Forum
« Reply #980 on: June 22, 2011, 04:44:12 PM »
Just thinking about it is giving me the munchies. :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #981 on: June 22, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »
And groovy sponges that made trees.
Happy little trees!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #982 on: June 22, 2011, 07:37:04 PM »
Just stopping in to give shout-outs to:

Cheer's

Ahhh... the Normism's are endles.  My favorite 5 would have to be

What are ya up to Norm?  --> My ideal weight... if I were 11 feet tall
What do ya say Norm?   --> It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
What's shakin Norm? --> All four cheeks and a couple of chins
How's life treating you Norm? --> Like a baby treats a diaper
What's up Normie? --> My nipples, it's freezing out there!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #983 on: June 22, 2011, 08:19:06 PM »
Happy little trees!

Our whole family sat there mesmerized by his voice.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #984 on: June 23, 2011, 08:18:31 AM »
*sneaks into old club*

I <3 Bob Ross

and wtf is this picture? hahaha

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: June 23, 2011, 11:18:18 AM »

Mama's Family
Leave it to Beaver
Golden Girls
All in the Family
Cheer's

How about .......

MASH
Happy Days
Sanford and Son
Rockford Files
Streets of San Francisco
Adam 12

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: June 23, 2011, 02:44:36 PM »
Happy little trees!

This tress is lonely  lets give him a friend
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #987 on: June 23, 2011, 05:37:01 PM »

Mama's Family
Leave it to Beaver
Golden Girls
All in the Family
Cheer's

How about .......

MASH
Happy Days
Sanford and Son
Rockford Files
Streets of San Francisco
Adam 12
Don't forget this classic...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTDOLoDiOcg&feature=related

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: June 23, 2011, 06:44:04 PM »
lonestar, I'm not joking when I tell you I saw my first car, a  1973 Dodge Coronet crash every week on C.H.I.P.S. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #989 on: June 23, 2011, 07:08:08 PM »
 :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: June 23, 2011, 10:02:34 PM »
Oh dear.... not Ponch and Jon.....sigh    :omg: ;D

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #991 on: June 23, 2011, 11:03:01 PM »
Hated CHiPs, loved TJ Hooker.  It's amazing how much a hot, young Heather Locklear can improve a cheesy cop show. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #992 on: June 24, 2011, 11:04:48 AM »
Hated CHiPs, loved TJ Hooker.  It's amazing how much a hot, young Heather Locklear can improve a cheesy cop show. 

And at 49 she remains sizzling. I think she's headed for that rarified territory that, off the top of my head, I can only surely say includes Jane Seymour, Morgan Fairchild, Suzanne Somers, and possibly Susan Lucci(although a fair amount of makeup is probably used to "restore" all the other "antiques" I assume it'd be most necessary for Lucci as being passed over for daytime Emmy's has been proven to age humans 7.4 times quicker than anything else.) The rarified territory I'm referring to is women at, or approaching, 60 that remain considered attractive by most dudes who fall into either the 18-35 or 18-49 demographic.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #993 on: June 24, 2011, 11:23:05 AM »
What's a trip is how standards change with time.  Did a google search for Stacy Sheridan, and in retrospect, the poofy 80's hair looks pretty damned silly.  At the time, I thought she was the hottest thing alive. 
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #994 on: June 24, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »
What's a trip is how standards change with time.  Did a google search for Stacy Sheridan, and in retrospect, the poofy 80's hair looks pretty damned silly.  At the time, I thought she was the hottest thing alive. 

And every girl had the feathered look that I dated. 

BF.  Have you seen Suzanne Somers today.  Her body is still great but you could throw a brick at her face and it wouldn't move.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #995 on: June 24, 2011, 01:36:38 PM »
Poofy 80's hair is still awesome to me.  I guess it depends on how it's done.

In other news, I don't know if you guys remember me saying that my job was being reviewed for a possible reclassification.  This started back in November.  Well, we finally got word today.  Me and the other budget analyst 1 have been promoted to budget analyst 2's, retroactive to November.  So fucking stoked!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #996 on: June 24, 2011, 02:49:32 PM »
Poofy 80's hair is still awesome to me.  I guess it depends on how it's done.

In other news, I don't know if you guys remember me saying that my job was being reviewed for a possible reclassification.  This started back in November.  Well, we finally got word today.  Me and the other budget analyst 1 have been promoted to budget analyst 2's, retroactive to November.  So fucking stoked!!!
Cha-ching!!!
Retro pay FTW!!!

@King- I still have feathered hair fantasies, with the girl wearing her tight ditto's jeans and the comb sticking out of the back pocket. Drool drool.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #997 on: June 25, 2011, 10:10:21 AM »
Flipped on HBO last night and The Big Chill was playing.  I remember when it came out, it seemed hipper....LOL.  It's pretty cheesey now.... :lol

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #998 on: July 14, 2011, 09:29:24 AM »
Alright old people, I need information! How does one save money when renting a car? I need one for a week - flying to Fort Wayne (bf's family) spending 4 days there and then driving to the Cleveland area (my family) spending 4 days there. I know that I can save money by not going through the airport, but what other ways can I save some money?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #999 on: July 14, 2011, 09:35:17 AM »
If I remember to later today, Ill try to ask the concierge at my hotel how to get the cheapest deals. Shes very helpful, and I want to sleep with her anyways, so thanks for giving me a valid excuse to talk to her. :tup

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1000 on: July 14, 2011, 09:35:52 AM »
Alright old people, I need information! How does one save money when renting a car? I need one for a week - flying to Fort Wayne (bf's family) spending 4 days there and then driving to the Cleveland area (my family) spending 4 days there. I know that I can save money by not going through the airport, but what other ways can I save some money?
Rent at the airport if you're flying, you still have to find a way to get to the other place.  The easiest way to save money is not buy into their insurance.  If you already have auto insurance call them to see what kind of coverage you have for rental.  Basically, don't take any gimmick they offer you, like prepaying to a tank of gas and certain insurances.  Avoid free upgrades unless you know the gas mileages won't kill you, too.  Free upgrade to SUV is a bad thing.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1001 on: July 14, 2011, 10:10:29 AM »
If I remember to later today, Ill try to ask the concierge at my hotel how to get the cheapest deals. Shes very helpful, and I want to sleep with her anyways, so thanks for giving me a valid excuse to talk to her. :tup

... You're avatar really does add a lot to your posts now  :lol

Rent at the airport if you're flying, you still have to find a way to get to the other place.  The easiest way to save money is not buy into their insurance.  If you already have auto insurance call them to see what kind of coverage you have for rental.  Basically, don't take any gimmick they offer you, like prepaying to a tank of gas and certain insurances.  Avoid free upgrades unless you know the gas mileages won't kill you, too.  Free upgrade to SUV is a bad thing.

Since we are visiting family, I may have someone pick us up at the airport and drive us to a different location to pick up the rental car. It looks like that will seriously drop the price, but its still relatively high. Most likely due to pick up and drop off in two separate states?

I'm very certain that my current insurance will cover most things that might occur with the rental car, so I definitely wont be buying that. Also do not want an SUV, so not a problem there either!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1002 on: July 14, 2011, 10:17:14 AM »
Looks like he has more answers than me.  Im still going to use this to talk to her though. :eyebrows:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1003 on: July 14, 2011, 10:23:43 AM »
If there happens to be more than one airport in the vicinity (unlikely in Ft Wayne, I suppose), you can frequently get better deals by comparing the two.

Be sure to manage your pickup/drop-off times.  You'll get a better deal with the weekly rate, but an extra 3 hours on a Monday can absolutely kill you.  I've seen $250 for a week, plus an extra $80 for the eighth day because of the four hours. 

Spend a fair amount of time comparing rates for all of the possible rental agencies at different times of the day and even different days of the week.  There websites will make this easy.  Don't just put your first choice into Expedia and see what happens.

Most importantly,  scour the web for discount codes.  Plenty of people will post their corporate codes and plenty of the agencies offer web only discounts.  Rental Car Momma was always a good source of discounts.  I've gotten really good corporate discounts, despite not even knowing anything about the business I claimed to be with, but that's slightly risky.  Still, RCM will generally provide all kinds of valid promos,  and there are a ton of other sites that do the same thing.

Your insurance will cover most events, but also check with your credit card companies.  A good Citibank card will also provide some valuable coverage, for example. 

Just saw that you're doing a one way rental.  Those can really sting.  When you're searching every site, look for the itemized price breakdown and see what each one of them charges for the destination fee.  One might charge $400 while another charges nothing.  Just depends on where they have outlets.

Also, neighborhood shops aren't always the best deal.  A lot of the time they're actually more expensive, and you also run the risk of them not having the car you reserve.  They tend to be quite flaky about their inventory.

Research is the key.  Anytime I travel,  I spend weeks exploring flights, cars and hotels.  Checking daily for a week or two will give you a great idea of what the trends are and how their pricing works. 

Another important thing is having a little flexibility in your plans.  It's amazing how things might change by flying out one day earlier or later, same with the return.  I'll often base my plans on cheapest travel days and then fill them in accordingly. 
E.F. Benson

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1004 on: July 14, 2011, 10:26:26 AM »
I'm very certain that my current insurance will cover most things that might occur with the rental car, so I definitely wont be buying that. Also do not want an SUV, so not a problem there either!
Ask about the gas mileages if they offer a free upgrade or a choice of cars, though.  They often give you a choice of some kind, just remember that's a place you can shave some money off by the right choice.

One other thing, some places, like Avis, rent their cars in 24 hour blocks.  A rental for 25 hours is the same as one for 48 hours, so if you're going just an hour or two over a complete day find a way to pick up the car a little later or return it a little earlier.  Dropping it off early and catching lunch or dinner with a friend near the airport has worked well for me in the past to save that money.

Most importantly,  scour the web for discount codes.  Plenty of people will post their corporate codes and plenty of the agencies offer web only discounts.  Rental Car Momma was always a good source of discounts.  I've gotten really good corporate discounts, despite not even knowing anything about the business I claimed to be with, but that's slightly risky.  Still, RCM will generally provide all kinds of valid promos,  and there are a ton of other sites that do the same thing.
This, too.  You might even have discounts without knowing it.  By simply having a frequent flyer account with Midwest, when they existed, I got discounts anywhere I rented, even places they didn't fly.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1005 on: July 14, 2011, 10:52:27 AM »
Wow some really good info here! Thanks

I researched our flights for several weeks, when the prices dropped $150 I bought them. So the times are just about locked in (although Delta just sent anflight change yesterday  ::)).

I have looked at RCM and some how when I put a code in, it became more expensive. No idea how that works!

I'm trying to keep it 7 days and under, but it is technically an 8 day trip. Looking at budget because they seem to be the cheapest right now. If its 8 days - $400. If I do the next day pick up for 7 day rental - $332. Taxes and fees for 8 days $100, 7 days is $80.

I looked over my bank website and didn't see any thing that might list rental car discounts or coverage details.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1006 on: July 14, 2011, 10:58:36 AM »
Be sure to try different combination of codes/agencies.  Don't know what they're sticking you with for the destination fee, but honestly it doesn't sound like you're getting too bad a deal.  $500 for an 8 day rental with out of state dropoff seems reasonable.  I'd still be looking to knock a couple hundred off of that, but if it weren't possible it wouldn't devastate me. 
E.F. Benson

Offline ghostnotes

• Groove machine.
« Reply #1007 on: July 14, 2011, 11:01:13 AM »
Normisms, Bob Ross, MASH...yep, I belong here.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1008 on: July 14, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »
Be sure to try different combination of codes/agencies.  Don't know what they're sticking you with for the destination fee, but honestly it doesn't sound like you're getting too bad a deal.  $500 for an 8 day rental with out of state dropoff seems reasonable.  I'd still be looking to knock a couple hundred off of that, but if it weren't possible it wouldn't devastate me. 

Yeah, it definitely could be worse. I had to rent cars while I was under 25 and that $27/day additional fee for being under the age was ridiculous! At least now I don't have to worry about that part. I need to ask my work if we get any corporate discounts, not sure how that works if I'm a contractor though.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1009 on: July 17, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
C'mon old farts, them damn kids are taking over our boards!!!!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1010 on: July 17, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »
You're speaking a little loud. Your hearing aid must be on the fritz.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: July 17, 2011, 02:51:01 PM »
You're speaking a little loud. Your hearing aid must be on the fritz.

Son, You can call me father, you can call me King, you can call me Joe. You can call me a dirty son of a bitch. But if you ever call me Daddy, I'll finish this fight.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1012 on: July 17, 2011, 02:51:55 PM »
Daddy.

Whatchya gonna do about it? Tell me to get off your lawn?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1013 on: July 17, 2011, 02:52:54 PM »
Daddy.

Whatchya gonna do about it? Tell me to get off your lawn?

I'm with ya, 73109.  Let's get to committing some serious elder abuse. 

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1014 on: July 17, 2011, 02:53:37 PM »
So...how often do all of you change your depends?