Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 324601 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club ! Ages 30 and over
« Reply #805 on: January 12, 2011, 08:15:02 AM »
Hey old fogies.  Remember when you'd argue and you would stand your ground to the point of saying nasty things?  I see a lot of young kids doing this about MP and the new drummer.  I've learned over time that it's just not work fighting over stuff anymore.  There is realy never a resolution.  It's not like it's the end of the world.  The band will go on.  Same applies to arguements with the wife.  I don't anymore.  Too much waste of time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #806 on: January 12, 2011, 08:20:59 AM »
I'm always reluctant to talk about listening to metal though. It conjures an image in my head of a loner which isn't great for a date.

You could still use it as a conversation point.  If she asks you what kind of music you like (remember, it's entirely possible that she'll be the one dominating the conversation and you won't actually have a lot of "work" to do), ask her to go first.  If she likes metal, you're fine.  If she's more into other genres or even says something to the effect that she doesn't like metal, you can still say "Well, I listen to metal.  There's something about it that just grabs me.  The passion, the energy, the raw power of it all."  Or something like that.  Regardless of her feelings about metal, she will hopefully recognize that this is the type of music that speaks to you, and it's not just "I like it loud and profane, baby!"

Also, I don't associate metal with loners.  I actually think of small groups of guys wearing a lot of black and swearing a lot.  But that's just as bad a stereotype as any other.  There are loners of all types.  I was the one guy in my little clique who listened to jazz and classical, and had no one to discuss it with, so I tended to listen to jazz and classical alone a lot.  Still do, actually.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #807 on: January 12, 2011, 08:23:12 AM »
Hey old fogies.  Remember when you'd argue and you would stand your ground to the point of saying nasty things?  I see a lot of young kids doing this about MP and the new drummer.  I've learned over time that it's just not work fighting over stuff anymore.  There is realy never a resolution.  It's not like it's the end of the world.  The band will go on.  Same applies to arguements with the wife.  I don't anymore.  Too much waste of time.

My problem is I've always tried to get whoever I was with at the time to see that "it's not worth it" line of reasoning also: "In the bigger scheme of things and your life in general, this is really not worth getting so bent out of shape over."

Yeah, that doesn't work.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #808 on: January 12, 2011, 12:03:34 PM »
Hey old fogies.  Remember when you'd argue and you would stand your ground to the point of saying nasty things?  I see a lot of young kids doing this about MP and the new drummer.  I've learned over time that it's just not work fighting over stuff anymore.  There is realy never a resolution.  It's not like it's the end of the world.  The band will go on.  Same applies to arguements with the wife.  I don't anymore.  Too much waste of time.

I do like a good argument, but mostly because if someone disagrees with me, I honestly would like to hear why they think their view is the correct one.  I want them to convince me.  I consider myself a better person if I can understand someone else's point of view, even if I don't agree with it myself.

Incredibly, my understanding of arguments comes from the Monty Python sketch commonly known as "Argument Clinic."  (I'm sure it's on YouTube, find it yourself.)  After Palin and Cleese go back and forth a few times with "No it isn't" "Yes it is" "No it isn't!" "Yes it is!" it's quite clear that they are not, in fact, arguing.  They are simply disagreeing, and neither of them is actually trying to convince the other of anything.  Neither is presenting any evidence, neither is trying to point out flaws in the other's position, nothing.  Palin correctly points out that it's not an argument.

Ever listen to little kids (and some adults) "argue"?  It sounds exactly like that.

"My dad can beat up your dad"
"Nuh-uh, my dad can beat up your dad"
"Nuh-uh, my dad can beat up your dad!"
"Nuh-uh, MY dad can beat up YOUR dad!"

A simple solution would be if one of them actually stated why he thought his dad could beat up the other one's dad.

"My dad is the heavyweight champion of the state, three years running.  He put four people in the hospital last year.  Your dad ran away screaming from a squirrel, we all saw it."
"Oh shit."

So now I look for actual logic and conclusions when I argue.

"Seriously, explain why you think blueberry is better than strawberry."
"It just is."
"That's it?  It just is?"
"Yeah.  It just is."
"Not because it tastes better, or is higher in vital nutrients, or cures AIDS?"
"No, it's just better."
"You're a moron and not worth my time."

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #809 on: January 13, 2011, 10:10:44 AM »
Orbert, you're referring to the subtle difference between 'arguing' and 'debating'.

The former brings in elements of emotion and anger.   "Debating" is a better way to try and bring out each side's points. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #810 on: January 13, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »
I'm always reluctant to talk about listening to metal though. It conjures an image in my head of a loner which isn't great for a date.

You could still use it as a conversation point.  If she asks you what kind of music you like (remember, it's entirely possible that she'll be the one dominating the conversation and you won't actually have a lot of "work" to do), ask her to go first.  If she likes metal, you're fine.  If she's more into other genres or even says something to the effect that she doesn't like metal, you can still say "Well, I listen to metal.  There's something about it that just grabs me.  The passion, the energy, the raw power of it all."  Or something like that.  Regardless of her feelings about metal, she will hopefully recognize that this is the type of music that speaks to you, and it's not just "I like it loud and profane, baby!"

Also, I don't associate metal with loners.  I actually think of small groups of guys wearing a lot of black and swearing a lot.  But that's just as bad a stereotype as any other.  There are loners of all types.  I was the one guy in my little clique who listened to jazz and classical, and had no one to discuss it with, so I tended to listen to jazz and classical alone a lot.  Still do, actually.
I met her for a meal last night and you're right, she did most of the takling. The subject never came up but that's definitely a good response.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #811 on: January 13, 2011, 10:22:43 AM »
Orbert, you're referring to the subtle difference between 'arguing' and 'debating'.

The former brings in elements of emotion and anger.   "Debating" is a better way to try and bring out each side's points. 

And attempting either of the two with your significant other will find you on the losing side of the argument/debate.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #812 on: January 13, 2011, 11:50:33 AM »
True!

Andy, so was it a "good" first date?  And by that I mean that a second date is likely.  If she did most of the talking, that's (mostly) good, for a couple of reasons.  It may be that she just needs someone to talk to.  If she thinks you're a good listener, that can be good and you'll be spending more time together.  It could also indicate that she's kinda lonely, and again that can be good.

The potential bad of course is that at some point you'll lose it and go "Damn it, woman! Can't you shut your yap for just five seconds and let me finish my potato?!"  Try not to do that.  Girls don't like it when you do that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: January 13, 2011, 12:11:36 PM »

The potential bad of course is that at some point you'll lose it and go "Damn it, woman! Can't you shut your yap for just five seconds and let me finish my potato?!"  Try not to do that.  Girls don't like it when you do that.

Though it does work when in a long relationship. :lol  My wife fires back, "Shut your pie hole".
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #814 on: January 13, 2011, 12:28:14 PM »
Ah, true love!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #815 on: January 13, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »
Though it does work when in a long relationship. :lol  My wife fires back, "Shut your pie hole".
I prefer invoking "shut-it stew."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vthrB0AVwy8

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #816 on: January 14, 2011, 05:29:32 AM »
True!

Andy, so was it a "good" first date?  And by that I mean that a second date is likely.  If she did most of the talking, that's (mostly) good, for a couple of reasons.  It may be that she just needs someone to talk to.  If she thinks you're a good listener, that can be good and you'll be spending more time together.  It could also indicate that she's kinda lonely, and again that can be good.
Maybe yes. I enjoyed it definitely. She had a lot to say and wasn't needy at all which was great, and I was interested. I prefer listening in general.

Is there an etiquette to do that properly?

Also, there's definitely seems an art to keeping a conversation going with timing e.g. so you don't answer, stuff your mouth then it goes quiet.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #817 on: January 14, 2011, 08:37:58 AM »
There's something of an art to it, yes, but I think it's more a matter of being comfortable with the rhythm and pace of the conversation.  Someone says something, the other replies, then you both take a mouthful while you think about what to say next.  There's nothing wrong with that.  If things are quiet for too long, I guess that can qualify as an "awkward pause," but I don't think it has to.  If you're really listening to her, you should be able to come up with things to say, even short little things, that will indicate that you're still listening and interested.

"Wow, that sounds pretty cool!"
"Really?  I don't think I've ever heard of..."
"Yeah, I knew this one guy who..."

But I can pretty much talk for hours about anything.  I know that doesn't come naturally to a lot of people (thank God) but I rarely have found any topic to be so boring, so completely void of anything that I care about or understand, that I couldn't at least comment on it intelligently. It does require some quick thinking sometimes.

There's no rule about how much conversation must take place.  Sure, part of the whole point is to talk, but you're also eating and you both know that, so there will be pauses.  Look at her while you're chewing.  Find something to comment on.  Her hair, her clothes, her jewelry.  When you've exhausted the topics you had ready to go, tell her you like her earrings or her dress or something.  Maybe something will remind you of someone else who had something similar.  Hopefully she'll thank you, and if you're lucky, she'll mention where she got it or who gave it to her, and there you go, the conversation is off in another direction.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #818 on: January 14, 2011, 11:14:03 AM »
Andy.
I have to say, I like you a whole bunch more in this thread than over in the P/R forum.

Im not judging the content or quality of your posts over there. Nor am I saying I disliked you over there.

Im simply saying I like you better here.

(that is all)
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #819 on: January 14, 2011, 02:11:12 PM »
I was wondering about this:

"When you mentioned....I thought about..." to resurrect the conversation

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #820 on: January 15, 2011, 04:12:18 AM »
Andy.
I have to say, I like you a whole bunch more in this thread than over in the P/R forum.

Im not judging the content or quality of your posts over there. Nor am I saying I disliked you over there.

Im simply saying I like you better here.

(that is all)

Thanks for sharing how you feel. I really appreciate it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: January 18, 2011, 01:44:08 PM »
For all you old fogies.  It is a sad day today. Don Kirshner passed away today at the age of 76.  Some links say 77 some say 76.

https://www.billboard.com/news/don-kirshner-legendary-music-exec-dead-at-1004139289.story#/news/don-kirshner-legendary-music-exec-dead-at-1004139289.story

I have such fond memories of watching Don Kirshner's Rock Concert as a child.  R.I.P.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #822 on: January 18, 2011, 03:30:13 PM »
Damn.  Long before I was old enough to go to concerts, I was old enough to stay up late on Friday night and check out "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert."  Awesome stuff, easily one of my earliest and best exposures to live rock and roll in the 70's.

Thanks, Don.  You were the man.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #823 on: January 18, 2011, 05:38:36 PM »
If I'm old as mold, that must make TAC mold from the dinosaur era...  Just sayin'...   :biggrin:
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #824 on: January 19, 2011, 06:08:37 AM »
If I'm old as mold, that must make TAC mold from the dinosaur era...  Just sayin'...   :biggrin:
I'm nowhere near the oldest fogey here! So what does that say about them? :lol

I was going to start a thread about Don Kirshner, but it's fitting that it's in this thread. I loved watching Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. Way before MTV... I used to watch it when it came on after Saturday Night Live 1980-1982. Learned about so many bands, it was must see. Thin Lizzy, Def Leppard, Rush..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: January 19, 2011, 04:07:41 PM »
Was it USA Network that had a late night rock show?  Night Flight?  I watched that all the time too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #826 on: January 20, 2011, 04:49:26 PM »
Was it USA Network that had a late night rock show?  Night Flight?  I watched that all the time too.
Oh shit..YES!!!! Completely forgot about that! Good call, King!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #827 on: January 20, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »
I'm nowhere near the oldest fogey here! So what does that say about them? :lol

Hey, I'm 46 and far from old. I WILL NOT BE DEFINED BY A NUMBER!

:tick2:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #828 on: January 23, 2011, 12:34:40 AM »
So who remembers trash/cup fights during the big festivals way back when?  Every year at the Texxas Jam it was the floor vs. the balcony.  Loads of fun.  Hell, the trash fight was usually more entertaining than half the bands.  Don't see them happening any more. 

Kids today suck.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #829 on: January 24, 2011, 05:56:06 AM »
So who remembers trash/cup fights during the big festivals way back when?  Every year at the Texxas Jam it was the floor vs. the balcony.  Loads of fun.  Hell, the trash fight was usually more entertaining than half the bands.  Don't see them happening any more. 

Kids today suck.
I hear that. What do they do now, have text fights?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #830 on: January 24, 2011, 02:34:52 PM »

Kids today suck.
I hear that. What do they do now, have text fights?

Nah, they're too busy on Facebook.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #831 on: February 07, 2011, 04:16:31 AM »
Had a good date at the weekend. I always get the feeling in the days after - what am I supposed to do now?

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #832 on: February 07, 2011, 05:35:09 AM »
Call her.
But not right away.
Give it two days..but early on the second day, so almost a day and a half.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: February 07, 2011, 05:43:03 AM »
Call her and express what a good time and you enjoyed her company.  Ask if she'd like to go on a date again.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #834 on: February 07, 2011, 06:00:56 AM »
Had a good date at the weekend. I always get the feeling in the days after - what am I supposed to do now?
Do whatever you want to do. If you want to call and tell her..do it. I don't think there's any need to wait a certain amount of time. Just be yourself. If you WANT to wait, fine, but if you don't..then DON'T.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #835 on: February 07, 2011, 06:25:08 AM »
Thanks. It was the second date in fact. What's a good way of doing this? Picking up on something we were talking about last time?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #836 on: February 07, 2011, 08:24:26 AM »
Thanks. It was the second date in fact. What's a good way of doing this? Picking up on something we were talking about last time?
No.

Call her and express what a good time and you enjoyed her company.  Ask if she'd like to go on a date again.
Yes. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #837 on: February 08, 2011, 03:50:19 AM »
What about asking what the lady wants to do? What I want to do is to let her feel good, have a good time. To me, that means letting her do what she wants to do provided it doesn't cross my values etc.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #838 on: February 08, 2011, 07:12:19 AM »
Andy, don't take this the wrong way, but damn! trust your own instincts! Your your own person with your own unique personality. You don't need to ask for advice for your every move.
What do you do now?
You call her if you had a good time. You ask her how she's doing.You tell her you had a good time, and ask her if she did as well. You tell  you want to take out again!
You don't need us to tell you this stuff. Be yourself and act natural as if your talking to an old friend. If a girl feels your comfortable and confident in who you are, you can't loose. Unless she doesn't like who that person is, and in that case you can't win anyway.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #839 on: February 08, 2011, 08:14:47 AM »
Andy, don't take this the wrong way, but damn! trust your own instincts! Your your own person with your own unique personality. You don't need to ask for advice for your every move.
What do you do now?
You call her if you had a good time. You ask her how she's doing.You tell her you had a good time, and ask her if she did as well. You tell  you want to take out again!
You don't need us to tell you this stuff. Be yourself and act natural as if your talking to an old friend. If a girl feels your comfortable and confident in who you are, you can't loose. Unless she doesn't like who that person is, and in that case you can't win anyway.
What's comfortable and confident though? I can have confidence most of the time and be relaxed but I'm not going to pretend I'm something I'm not i.e. experienced with relationships. I need some way of communicating that without coming across as unconfident and the only way I can think of is just being straight and truthful -or in the vernacular "putting my balls on the table." Blindly going along saying "let's go out, let's go out" seems to give the wrong impression. Admittedly I could have said this earlier but there it is.