Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 325817 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club ! Ages 30 and over
« Reply #770 on: December 20, 2010, 04:13:43 PM »
Welcome Neon.  Time to pull up a chair, pull up a beer, and pull up your pants. :laugh:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #771 on: December 20, 2010, 04:17:25 PM »
Who said I was wearing pants?
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #772 on: December 20, 2010, 04:21:41 PM »
Who said I was wearing pants?

Your already fitting in.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #773 on: December 20, 2010, 04:42:26 PM »
Cool, another female fogie.  Welcome, neon, let me show you the secret handshake, just grab this...

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #774 on: December 20, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »
someone get her a set of fake balls to scratch so she's not left out
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #775 on: December 21, 2010, 07:34:02 PM »
The scariest part is...I was 21 when I joined dt.net   :|

Where the hell did it all go?
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #776 on: December 21, 2010, 09:03:25 PM »
The scariest part is...I was 21 when I joined dt.net   :|

Where the hell did it all go?
I hear you.  I blinked, and next thing I know, my kid is 17, has a boyfriend, job, and car.  It goes way too fast to truly appreciate it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #777 on: January 03, 2011, 08:13:06 AM »
Okay fogies, get your asses back to work!

One thing about getting older is that more often your job is a "regular" job.  Monday through Friday, business hours, usually in some office building or maybe a plant.  All through school, I worked a series of jobs where I'd have the night shift, day shift, work these days, get these days off, and it could vary from week to week depending on who was making the schedule.

If you're lucky, you end up in a somewhat steady arrangement where you work weekends because they're the busiest, plus some weekdays to fill up your schedule, and whatever days you don't work constitutes your weekend.  My "weekend" was Monday and Tuesday for a while, and yeah, it was kinda cool having days off when most other people were working, but eventually it was kinduva hassle because I was working Saturday and Sunday -- the real weekend -- when more and more of my friends were off.  Why?  Because they'd graduated and had real jobs, and I was still a loser student working part-time in restaurants.  I took some time off after high school to play loud music in bars and didn't finally graduate until I was 27.

Anyway, a big part of being a grown-up to me was getting a real Monday through Friday job with regular hours and not worrying about when my days off would be or if I had to plan around working the night shift or whatever.

But it's Monday morning after a helluva New Year's weekend and I really don't wanna go to work.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #778 on: January 03, 2011, 08:20:13 AM »
It's funny.  I remember about 30 years ago waking up one morning and thinking "holy fuck, I've still gotta do this for another 8 years."  Somehow, I thought that it'd all be better after I graduated. 

I spent most of Saturday working on my car, and I'm still sore as hell because of it.  I miss not being crippled after a hard days work. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: January 03, 2011, 08:27:24 AM »
I spent a few hours Saturday, still shoveling snow ( from last weeks storm ) , by Saturday night my back was killing me.

Like you Orbert, I did not want to get out of bed this morning, I have been working as a consultant since Oct , and was getting paid by the time I spent working, so if I wanted to take a morning off, or maybe cut out earlier on a Friday afternoon I could, just wouldn't get paid for it. The offered me a full time position last week, which I officially started today. When the alarm went off, this morning I was like, let me just hit snooze for a bit, than it hit me, shit I have a responsibility to be there everyday now.
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #780 on: January 03, 2011, 08:47:32 AM »
Wkiml, when I wake up to a dark wintry morning of sub-zero temps and piles of snow, I always have to remind myself to be thankful for that 'responsibility'.   
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #781 on: January 03, 2011, 08:56:33 AM »
I too did not want to go back.  Been off work for 10 days.  Ouch.  A visit to VA to see my parents, 7 pitchers of daiquiris on NYE, and plenty of other fun in that time.  Now it's all over and the routine is back.  On the upside I'm off on the 17th and 18th for President's Day and Inauguration Day, so a 4-day weekend ain't far away.  Killer.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #782 on: January 03, 2011, 02:21:23 PM »
Glad all of you assholes enjoyed your holiday vacations.  I just finished two sixty plus hour weeks, including working Xmas eve and day and NY eve and day.  Now I wait impatiently till my four day weekend over Superbowl Sunday(dreams of slow smoked ribs and cold beer).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: January 03, 2011, 02:54:07 PM »
I wish I had my job still to bitch with you guys.  All I've got is 6 hours of sleep and seeing my mom in the hospital.  She starts radiation tomorrow for 3 weeks then chemo.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: January 03, 2011, 03:32:29 PM »
I wish I had my job still to bitch with you guys.  All I've got is 6 hours of sleep and seeing my mom in the hospital.  She starts radiation tomorrow for 3 weeks then chemo.

I'll keep her in my prayers.
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #785 on: January 03, 2011, 03:51:10 PM »
Hang in there man.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: January 03, 2011, 03:58:25 PM »
Thanks wkiml & lonestar.  I just want to be positive for my mom.  Plus, I've got a damn fever right now so I might have to stay away from her tomorrow.  You know your old when your feeling sick and you drink tea.  Tea?!  Yup.  I'm old. :laugh:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #787 on: January 03, 2011, 04:13:11 PM »
Hey! I always drink tea when I get sick!

*runs out of thread*

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #788 on: January 03, 2011, 04:19:47 PM »
I've been off since Christmas Eve. I was on vacation last week, and took today off. Then I go back tomorrow and have Wednesday off! :metal

Wkiml, when I wake up to a dark wintry morning of sub-zero temps and piles of snow, I always have to remind myself to be thankful for that 'responsibility'.  
That's very true and a great way of looking at it.

You know your old when your feeling sick and you drink tea.  Tea?!  Yup.  I'm old. :laugh:

I've just started to be able to drink tea again. When I was a kid, my mother gave me tea or ginger ale when I was sick, but whenever I drank them as an adult, I was like Pavlov's dog, I'd get a nauseous feeling.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
« Reply #789 on: January 03, 2011, 04:25:41 PM »

Aw man I'm sorry to hear about your mom.  Stay strong for her!

And after months of being unemployed, I am so extremely grateful for having a job to go to that I kind of didn't mind having to get up today.  Sure it sorta sucked because I feel like I've got some illness or other trying to take hold, but it hasn't disabled me yet (and I'm one of those people that doesn't call out of work every time I get mild illnesses...the last time I called out was about 7 years ago when I had the flu and was so sore that I couldn't move).
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #790 on: January 03, 2011, 04:36:05 PM »
Hey! I always drink tea when I get sick!

*runs out of thread*
Does your mommy make it for you?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #791 on: January 03, 2011, 05:59:19 PM »
I've just started to be able to drink tea again. When I was a kid, my mother gave me tea or ginger ale when I was sick, but whenever I drank them as an adult, I was like Pavlov's dog, I'd get a nauseous feeling.

Huh.  I'm pretty much the opposite.  Ginger ale is comfort food for me, for the same reason. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #792 on: January 11, 2011, 06:05:41 AM »
What are good questions and topics for getting to know a date?

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #793 on: January 11, 2011, 08:13:31 AM »
Explore your likes and dislikes and establish common ground. Simply ask questions about what she enjoys doing. Then talk about the stuff you both like. Keep things light and inject humor whenever possible. If it seem uncomfortable for long stretches your probably not a good match anyhow.

:tick2:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #794 on: January 11, 2011, 08:23:40 AM »
"What kind of music do you listen to?"  Or simply "What music do you listen to?"  The second version allows her to just tell you what artists she likes without getting into genres or otherwise pigeonholing her tastes.  She may be fine with that, or she may not give it a lot of thought.

"What kind of movies do you like to watch?"  Or simply "What are some of your favorite movies?"  Get an idea of what she likes without forcing her to categorize.

Be prepared to share.  You could even open the topic by mentioning your own favorites (carefully avoiding anything you think would be a turn-off) and then ask her.  That way it's more like sharing, give-and-take, and not an interrogation.

"Where are you from?" "Where did you grow up?"  These are common questions and usually harmless, but carry a potential danger.  If she had a really bad childhood for some reason, you don't want to take her back to that.  The only thing she'll remember about your date is that you seemed okay, but the first thing you asked her about is her childhood.  That can really wreck the rest of the evening.  I guess as long as you don't say "Tell me about your childhood" you're probably okay, but it still seems like potentially dangerous territory.

You're looking for common ground to discuss.  If any of her favorite bands or singers or actors or movies are the same as yours: Bingo!  Talk about them.  Have you always liked he/she/them/it?  How did you discover he/she/them/it?  If you're talking music, which is her favorite album or song?  If you're talking movies, what other movies did she like?

Very important: Once you've asked the question or brought up the topic, be prepared to listen.  Unless she's totally dominating the conversation, there will be natural pauses, which is where you ask an intelligent question, or it's your turn to share.  That's how you learn about each other.  

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #795 on: January 11, 2011, 12:13:55 PM »
Damn, Orbert, you must have been an animal on the first date thing.  You were so right on one point, be prepared to share.  If one is not willing to open up initially, any hope for the future is doomed.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #796 on: January 11, 2011, 12:28:07 PM »
This is all stuff I picked up over time, with more than one "bad" first date along the way.  Looking back and putting it together, it's all common sense.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #797 on: January 11, 2011, 12:38:26 PM »
Yep, hindsight is 20/20.  Now if these little snotfaces would just listen to us old fucks, they could avoid a lot of headaches.

Offline The Texas Pirate!

• RIP VG
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Bow down before me
« Reply #798 on: January 11, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »
Yep, hindsight is 20/20.  Now if these little snotfaces would just listen to us old fucks, they could avoid a lot of headaches.
QFT

:yarr
My new Phone number

1-956-TTP-0028

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: January 11, 2011, 04:33:19 PM »
I remember my dad telling me, "You'll know someday".

I was, "What a bunch of crock, dad".

And of course, he was right.  You only learn that when you get older.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #800 on: January 11, 2011, 04:41:12 PM »
Total truth.  It's amazing the amount of respect you aquire for your parents once you realize they aren't completly full of shit.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #801 on: January 11, 2011, 04:50:13 PM »
I laughed at my dad once because he had to work out to stay in shape.  "I can eat anything I want and I never gain weight!  :rollin"  He just kind of chuckled about it.  Fucker. 
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #802 on: January 11, 2011, 04:54:21 PM »
I laughed at my dad once because he had to work out to stay in shape.  "I can eat anything I want and I never gain weight!  :rollin"  He just kind of chuckled about it.  Fucker. 
I remember those days.
*stares at beer and bacon belly*

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: January 11, 2011, 05:10:05 PM »
I still don't listen to elders.

I keep saying I've got to stop snacking and yet..........

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #804 on: January 12, 2011, 05:55:47 AM »
"What kind of music do you listen to?"  Or simply "What music do you listen to?"  The second version allows her to just tell you what artists she likes without getting into genres or otherwise pigeonholing her tastes.  She may be fine with that, or she may not give it a lot of thought.

"What kind of movies do you like to watch?"  Or simply "What are some of your favorite movies?"  Get an idea of what she likes without forcing her to categorize.

Be prepared to share.  You could even open the topic by mentioning your own favorites (carefully avoiding anything you think would be a turn-off) and then ask her.  That way it's more like sharing, give-and-take, and not an interrogation.

"Where are you from?" "Where did you grow up?"  These are common questions and usually harmless, but carry a potential danger.  If she had a really bad childhood for some reason, you don't want to take her back to that.  The only thing she'll remember about your date is that you seemed okay, but the first thing you asked her about is her childhood.  That can really wreck the rest of the evening.  I guess as long as you don't say "Tell me about your childhood" you're probably okay, but it still seems like potentially dangerous territory.

You're looking for common ground to discuss.  If any of her favorite bands or singers or actors or movies are the same as yours: Bingo!  Talk about them.  Have you always liked he/she/them/it?  How did you discover he/she/them/it?  If you're talking music, which is her favorite album or song?  If you're talking movies, what other movies did she like?

Very important: Once you've asked the question or brought up the topic, be prepared to listen.  Unless she's totally dominating the conversation, there will be natural pauses, which is where you ask an intelligent question, or it's your turn to share.  That's how you learn about each other.  
Thanks for that. I'm alwas reluctant to talk about listening to metal though. It conjures an image in my head of a loner which isn't great for a date.

Explore your likes and dislikes and establish common ground. Simply ask questions about what she enjoys doing. Then talk about the stuff you both like. Keep things light and inject humor whenever possible. If it seem uncomfortable for long stretches your probably not a good match anyhow.

:tick2:
Thanks.