Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 332088 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club ! Ages 30 and over
« Reply #630 on: December 02, 2010, 12:18:59 PM »
I know I'm old and out of touch with the modern scene, but when I was dating, my girlfriend and I used something called a telephone, or "phone" for short.  We could talk to each other and hear each other's voices, even all the way at the other side of the city from each other.  It was pretty cool.

You are sooooo bad.  BTW, I bet it was a rotary phone.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #631 on: December 02, 2010, 12:20:54 PM »
I know I'm old and out of touch with the modern scene, but when I was dating, my girlfriend and I used something called a telephone, or "phone" for short.  We could talk to each other and hear each other's voices, even all the way at the other side of the city from each other.  It was pretty cool.
I hope it still works that way. I would hate to think couples now text to stay in touch. That would be lame.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #632 on: December 02, 2010, 12:52:11 PM »
Yeah, all the kids today have these portable texting devices.  They have cameras built in, play music, games, etc., but the really good ones actually let you talk to each other using voice, just like "phones" did back in the day.

And yes, it was a rotary phone.  Touch-tone cost like another $2 a month, which my parents wouldn't pay.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #633 on: December 02, 2010, 01:01:13 PM »
I'm right there with y'all.  But lets not pretend that the modern version doesn't have distinct advantages with regards to that whole boyfriend/girlfriend dynamic.   :hat
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #634 on: December 02, 2010, 01:06:24 PM »
I'm right there with y'all.  But lets not pretend that the modern version doesn't have distinct advantages with regards to that whole boyfriend/girlfriend dynamic.   :hat
I wouldn't know. I don't own a high tech phone. All mine does is make phone calls. Go figure.
and man am I along ways removed from boyfriend/girlfriend.

:tick2:

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #635 on: December 03, 2010, 04:23:16 AM »

It's also about expectations isn't it? Why would I be phoning unless it's to check where she's standing at the station etc or an urgent detail? The rest of the time at least now, it seems easier to email.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #636 on: December 03, 2010, 06:33:35 AM »
I would imagine just because when you don't have an opportunity to see the other person, it still feels nice to hear their voice once in a while, by making a call just to chat about what's going on or whatever.  I mean, if you really have nothing to talk about, then obviously don't call for nothing, but surely there's something you could find to chat about, right?  You would "chat" about it via email or text, just in a slightly different manner.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #637 on: December 03, 2010, 07:08:21 AM »
I would imagine just because when you don't have an opportunity to see the other person, it still feels nice to hear their voice once in a while, by making a call just to chat about what's going on or whatever.  I mean, if you really have nothing to talk about, then obviously don't call for nothing, but surely there's something you could find to chat about, right?  You would "chat" about it via email or text, just in a slightly different manner.
I would think if you have little to talk about your probably not that good a match.
When I started dating my wife we couldn't get enough of each other. When she would stay the night with me we would routinely have conversation literally into the wee hours of the morning. That's how into each other we were. I would often be shot for work in the morning.
Of course every relationship is different, but I just feel if you really don't have much to say to each other early in a relationship when its new and fresh, you probably are not a match meant to be.
IMO.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: December 03, 2010, 07:20:07 AM »
I would think if you have little to talk about your probably not that good a match.
When I started dating my wife we couldn't get enough of each other. When she would stay the night with me we would routinely have conversation literally into the wee hours of the morning. That's how into each other we were. I would often be shot for work in the morning.
Of course every relationship is different, but I just feel if you really don't have much to say to each other early in a relationship when its new and fresh, you probably are not a match meant to be.
IMO.

Tick you beat me too it. If your this new to a relationship and you have already run out of things to talk about, than its just a physical relationship (don't get me wrong, enjoy it for all its worth) but don't look for something more meaningful or deeper from it.

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #639 on: December 03, 2010, 07:31:41 AM »
Well, yeah.  Without saying it, that was kinda the direction my thoughts were going, I just don't always articulate my thoughts real well.

So in that instance, it's nice to at least be able to hear the other person's voice, when you don't have the opportunity to see them and talk in person.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #640 on: December 03, 2010, 07:49:22 AM »
Well, yeah.  Without saying it, that was kinda the direction my thoughts were going, I just don't always articulate my thoughts real well.

So in that instance, it's nice to at least be able to hear the other person's voice, when you don't have the opportunity to see them and talk in person.
I wasn't trying to disparage your thoughts, just adding my two cents based on my feelings. You articulate yourself quite well, Coz.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #641 on: December 03, 2010, 07:53:53 AM »
IMO.

Tick you beat me too it. If your this new to a relationship and you have already run out of things to talk about, than its just a physical relationship (don't get me wrong, enjoy it for all its worth) but don't look for something more meaningful or deeper from it.

That's how I feel, but I guess the other possibility would be when two people are both shy and need time to become more comfortable with each other? Then maybe things become more natural?
This is probably possible but hard for me to personally relate to because I am the opposite of shy.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #642 on: December 03, 2010, 07:57:10 AM »
Well, yeah.  Without saying it, that was kinda the direction my thoughts were going, I just don't always articulate my thoughts real well.

I wasn't trying to disparage your thoughts, just adding my two cents based on my feelings. You articulate yourself quite well, Coz.

Oh, I know you weren't, no sweat.  But thanks!  For however well I may be able to articulate myself in a post, there's likely a lot more in my head that I didn't get out quite right.  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #643 on: December 03, 2010, 10:11:32 AM »
That's kinda what I was getting at with my "phone" remark, although I guess it was more sarcastic than it needed to be.  Seriously though, when we were kids, spending hours on the phone just talking to your friends was the norm.  It was such a cliché that it was always included in every TV show that had teenagers in it.

Sure, today you do it via texting or IM or chat, but it's just words.  The intimacy of actually hearing the other person's voice has been lost.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: December 03, 2010, 10:17:16 AM »
That's kinda what I was getting at with my "phone" remark, although I guess it was more sarcastic than it needed to be.  Seriously though, when we were kids, spending hours on the phone just talking to your friends was the norm.  It was such a cliché that it was always included in every TV show that had teenagers in it.

Sure, today you do it via texting or IM or chat, but it's just words.  The intimacy of actually hearing the other person's voice has been lost.

Kind of like talking with friends via a internet forum :P

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #645 on: December 03, 2010, 10:20:54 AM »

I hear ya!

I mean I read what you said. ;)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #646 on: December 03, 2010, 10:45:52 AM »
Don't get me wrong.  It's perfectly fine to make and carry on social connections online.  I consider a lot of you guys friends, but let's be honest; you're online friends, and that's just not at the same level as hanging out in the backyard or in front of the TV and getting wasted with the guys you've known since school days.

When I hear about people who meet online and fall in love and get married, I'm always amazed.  I don't think it's impossible or anything.  I just think it's amazing that they spent so much time together online that they really felt a closeness, like a real, physical closeness.  Then I remember that today, online=real for a lot of people.  I guess if you grew up with it, it's as real as anything else.

That's why we "Old As Mold" fogies can talk about it like it's alien technology or something.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #647 on: December 03, 2010, 11:03:48 AM »
Don't get me wrong.  It's perfectly fine to make and carry on social connections online.  I consider a lot of you guys friends, but let's be honest; you're online friends, and that's just not at the same level as hanging out in the backyard or in front of the TV and getting wasted with the guys you've known since school days.

When I hear about people who meet online and fall in love and get married, I'm always amazed.  I don't think it's impossible or anything.  I just think it's amazing that they spent so much time together online that they really felt a closeness, like a real, physical closeness.  Then I remember that today, online=real for a lot of people.  I guess if you grew up with it, it's as real as anything else.

That's why we "Old As Mold" fogies can talk about it like it's alien technology or something.
I have met alot of online friends over the past 5 years since I really started using the internet.
There are a handful of them that have I have become close personal friends with, and I see 4 or 5 times a year. A couple of friends I have made I don't even interact with online anymore. I only see them in person and enjoy my time with them. I have even taken a vacation with one family after our wives became so close they talk more then we do.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: December 03, 2010, 11:48:36 AM »
Orbert you nailed it, when we were younger we had no other way of communication, it was either face to face or on the phone. With all the technology today, the younger generations have just become accomidated with IM/Texting and the whole sort. I am in no way knocking whats out there, I have gotten back in touch with alot of friends/classmates via modern technology that I would never have heard from again if not for it.

But that's what makes us old fogeys special we can appreciate both

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #649 on: December 03, 2010, 12:01:51 PM »
This generation has no clue. Think about how it was when we were younger.

We remember sleeping on sidewalks in subzero weather (at least I do)for concert tickets! That's old school and something this generation can't relate to. On top of that, you went nuts trying to find out when your favorite artist was going on tour and where they would be playing.

We remember driving around to find a phone booth so we could make a phone call.

We remember hearing about, "the internet, the information superhighway" for the first time and thinking what the hell is that and what good will it do?

We remember walking into a record store and seeing a new record from a band you love and having no clue it had even been released. Now people are counting day the days months before a artist makes a release.

We remember when TV went to cable and you went fro 13 to 36 channels!!! and now of them had snow on them when you watched.

So different to watch my daughter at age 10 think nothing of the way things are now.
It makes its easier to relate when my mom tells me of the days when they just listened to the radio because they had no TV.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: December 03, 2010, 12:12:52 PM »
Sleeping in my car to get a # on my hand to get in line to buy tickets at Teletron.  Tick, your jogging the old memory.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #651 on: December 03, 2010, 12:21:02 PM »
Of course all of this is true, but I guaran-goddam-ty you that your parents thought the exact same thing.  "When we were Tick's age, we couldn't talk all day on the telephone.  We actually had to get together to visit!"  Their parents before them did the same thing.  While we reflect back and think that our ways were better, we wouldn't consider our parent's era to be.  "Those people didn't even have cassette tapes!" I have fond memories of camping out behind TM to score tickets for the Somewhere In Time Tour.  The first time I heard Kill 'Em All was waiting in line for [God knows what] tickets.  Yet, I certainly would have liked to have some of the tech kids today take for granted. 

All things are relative. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #652 on: December 03, 2010, 12:56:49 PM »
Of course all of this is true, but I guaran-goddam-ty you that your parents thought the exact same thing.  "When we were Tick's age, we couldn't talk all day on the telephone.  We actually had to get together to visit!"  Their parents before them did the same thing.  While we reflect back and think that our ways were better, we wouldn't consider our parent's era to be.  "Those people didn't even have cassette tapes!" I have fond memories of camping out behind TM to score tickets for the Somewhere In Time Tour.  The first time I heard Kill 'Em All was waiting in line for [God knows what] tickets.  Yet, I certainly would have liked to have some of the tech kids today take for granted. 

All things are relative. 
I said the thing about what my parents must have felt about my conveniences as they looked back

I am not saying it was better when I was a kid. I'm just saying the kids on this board have no clue how pampered an existence they have in so many ways. Its scary to think what there kids may experience.

I know one thing that was great when I was a kid. Entire neighborhoods would gather after school and play football or baseball on the school playgrounds or wherever. I never witness this kind of stuff anymore. Technology has made playing pick up games of various sports a rare occurrence, it would appear.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #653 on: December 03, 2010, 01:03:09 PM »
One of the best football games I remember from my childhood was in a driving rainstorm.  We had a full 1 acre lot with perfect grass and trees only where the endzone would be.  On a good day we'd get 6 on 6.  Tackle, too.  I can't imagine too many kids playing tackle football in a thunderstorm nowadays. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #654 on: December 03, 2010, 01:22:51 PM »
One of the best football games I remember from my childhood was in a driving rainstorm.  We had a full 1 acre lot with perfect grass and trees only where the endzone would be.  On a good day we'd get 6 on 6.  Tackle, too.  I can't imagine too many kids playing tackle football in a thunderstorm nowadays. 
Man, I used to play tackle football when I was like 15 against a rival neighborhood. We hated each other and these games were brutal. We were almost playing gang football because we were out to hurt each other.
I remember one kid breaking his leg in one game. In another a kid dislocated his shoulder. Blood was common place. I look back at it all now and realize how insane it was at times. The final score wasn't as important is how many of there players you injured.
Of course I also played games amongst friends when we weren't trying to hurt each other.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #655 on: December 03, 2010, 01:33:16 PM »

All things are relative. 
I said the thing about what my parents must have felt about my conveniences as they looked back

I am not saying it was better when I was a kid. I'm just saying the kids on this board have no clue how pampered an existence they have in so many ways. Its scary to think what there kids may experience.

I know one thing that was great when I was a kid. Entire neighborhoods would gather after school and play football or baseball on the school playgrounds or wherever. I never witness this kind of stuff anymore. Technology has made playing pick up games of various sports a rare occurrence, it would appear.

Absolutely.  This is something my kids never do.  I have the fondest memories of coming home from school, tossing my books on the floor(homework undone), and rushing out to play baseball, football, hockey and basketball with all the neighborhood kids.  We even ran a kind of "capture the flag" army game.  It was wonderful.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: December 03, 2010, 01:35:58 PM »
One of the best football games I remember from my childhood was in a driving rainstorm.  We had a full 1 acre lot with perfect grass and trees only where the endzone would be.  On a good day we'd get 6 on 6.  Tackle, too.  I can't imagine too many kids playing tackle football in a thunderstorm nowadays.  
Man, I used to play tackle football when I was like 15 against a rival neighborhood. We hated each other and these games were brutal. We were almost playing gang football because we were out to hurt each other.
I remember one kid breaking his leg in one game. In another a kid dislocated his shoulder. Blood was common place. I look back at it all now and realize how insane it was at times. The final score wasn't as important is how many of there players you injured.
Of course I also played games amongst friends when we weren't trying to hurt each other.

Ahh the memories.....we did the same , games amongst friends were usually played with none or very little equipment, games against neighboring rivals we would all suit up in whatever rag tag equipment we could get together. I can remember one kid who used to tape railroad spikes to the inside of his formarm , than he would line up over an offensive lineman as just as they came off the line he would slap their helmet with the inside of his formarm, thus knocking them to the ground and leaving a severe ringing in their ears .

Also I played alot of goalie in street hockey, since my skating skills were terrible, and finding an old sofa/couch cushion in someones garbage and making goalie pads out of them...taping them to my shins, so I wouldnt come home black and blue.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #657 on: December 03, 2010, 01:40:15 PM »
One of the best football games I remember from my childhood was in a driving rainstorm.  We had a full 1 acre lot with perfect grass and trees only where the endzone would be.  On a good day we'd get 6 on 6.  Tackle, too.  I can't imagine too many kids playing tackle football in a thunderstorm nowadays.  

Ahh the memories.....we did the same , games amongst friends were usually played with none or very little equipment, games against neighboring rivals we would all suit up in whatever rag tag equipment we could get together. I can remember one kid who used to tape railroad spikes to the inside of his formarm , than he would line up over an offensive lineman as just as they came off the line he would slap their helmet with the inside of his formarm, thus knocking them to the ground and leaving a severe ringing in their ears .

Also I played alot of goalie in street hockey, since my skating skills were terrible, and finding an old sofa/couch cushion in someones garbage and making goalie pads out of them...taping them to my shins, so I wouldnt come home black and blue.

Its funny you mention street hockey. I loved playing but was limited in my passing and puck handling skills so I absolutely embraced the role of being a goon! I loved being as enforcer and just laying brutal hits on people to knock them on there ass! :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: December 03, 2010, 03:53:44 PM »
Hell, I remember 14 kids with our shovels moving the snow on tennis courts for 2 hours just so we could play street hockey.  Neighborhood vs. neighborhood.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #659 on: December 04, 2010, 02:06:47 AM »
So it's important to be able to enjoy or accept solitude and manage the time spent with the other person in a relatinoship but do you have any advice about how often to see them? And how often is healthy?

You can't control another person, you should be able to spend time alone, have your own things to do but it's balancing staying connected with not using them to avoid being lonely or "feel single". What's the key ingredient - patience? Asking constantly for feedback in the early stages could make the other person panic.

I understood that a relationship should ideally add to your life rather than be it. But at the same time don't you have to keep at bay the urge to use it to avoid being alone?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #660 on: December 04, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »

I had the same conversation with my boss's wife last night.  You just don't see kids outside playing anymore.  Not at baseball fields, basketball courts, playgrounds, not even front yards.  Kids should be arguing over the arbitrary ground rules for whatever game you are playing. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #661 on: December 04, 2010, 10:15:52 AM »
So it's important to be able to enjoy or accept solitude and manage the time spent with the other person in a relatinoship but do you have any advice about how often to see them? And how often is healthy?

You can't control another person, you should be able to spend time alone, have your own things to do but it's balancing staying connected with not using them to avoid being lonely or "feel single". What's the key ingredient - patience? Asking constantly for feedback in the early stages could make the other person panic.

I understood that a relationship should ideally add to your life rather than be it. But at the same time don't you have to keep at bay the urge to use it to avoid being alone?

Because every person is different, every relationship is different because it's formed of two people.  Therefore there is no one answer that will be right for all situations.  That said, there are plenty of "general rules" which apply.

The answer to "How often is healthy?" is "Whatever works for the two of you."  You're not going to get an answer like "No more than once per week" or "At least twice a day" or anything concrete like that, and if you do, it will be from people merely saying what worked or didn't for them in the past.  It may or may not apply to your relationship at all.

Most people enter relationship with some uncertainty, even nervousness.  It's a new situation, and with any new situation, there are unknowns.  She may therefore look for a lot of reassurance.  Remind her that you like spending time with her; find things to compliment her on and do it.  Make it a pleasant experience for her, and you'll find that she enjoys your company as well, and pretty soon you're seeing each other more.  But because you're an unknown and she may be nervous, you don't want to smother her by constantly talking about these things, as it can make you come across as nervous and uncertain and having nothing else to talk about, and that can be a turn-off.

Maybe she's Some girls are fine with whatever, because she already likes you.  She doesn't want to hear you talking about her all the time; she wants to know you.

There is no one single answer that always works for everyone, every time.  You just have to learn to "feel" when you're doing it right, when you're doing enough, and when you're going too far.  That's why your first few relationships almost never work.  You don't know what you're doing.  But the only way to learn is by doing.  Getting advice can only help in the learning process; it cannot give you the experience to actually know and recognize the signs.

And that's why it's easy to get discouraged.  If you try something and fail the first several times, it's easy to just say "Okay I suck at this, forget it."  But this isn't a sport.  This is someting humans are literally born to do.  Find a mate and procreate.  First things first, of course, but every person gets better at it, and everybody eventually finds someone.

So yes, the key ingredient is patience.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #662 on: December 04, 2010, 10:59:17 AM »
If she's somebody who's company you really enjoy, then find ways to hang out with her and to stay in touch.  With some time you'll figure out how much is too much, but probably want much more. 
E.F. Benson

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #663 on: December 04, 2010, 11:20:40 AM »
I can relate to a lot of the stuff posted here. I'm only 25, but I feel like I'm in between two generations, one like you guys and then the younger kids who have never known life without the internet, etc. I hate technology sometimes and I resent that people don't seem to connect as deeply anymore because they barely see each other. A lot of times I feel like an older person at heart. And I work with old people. So I may have to spend some time in this club :)
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #664 on: December 04, 2010, 11:29:19 AM »
Wkiml..yes yes yes!
Goalie pads made out of sofa cushions! :metal
 I was about to post the same thing! We had those.

Yes, everything is relative. One of my favorite books on the Civil War is called Four Brothers In Blue. It was written around 1875, and it starts off with a long passage about how easy kids have it "today". So even back then, that sentiment was common.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol