Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 324956 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club ! Ages 30 and over
« Reply #420 on: February 23, 2010, 02:00:58 PM »
God Soap was a funny show.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #421 on: February 23, 2010, 02:04:27 PM »

I see by your avitar lonestar, your schwarts is a big as mine! ;D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #422 on: February 23, 2010, 02:06:36 PM »
Bigger, it's just a little cold in the forum today. :\

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #423 on: February 23, 2010, 02:07:28 PM »

I see by your avitar lonestar, your schwarts is a big as mine! ;D
My schwarts may not reach bottom, but it bangs the hell out of the sides.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #424 on: February 23, 2010, 02:09:03 PM »
Yeah, sometimes I strap a 2x4 across my ass so I don't fall in.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: February 23, 2010, 02:12:40 PM »
In the immortal words of Steven Wright, talking about socks, "I don't go by color or size, I go by thickness".
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #426 on: February 23, 2010, 03:12:33 PM »
Umm... yeah.

Anyway, I always watched Soap.  It was so bizarro.

Soap was one of the first, if not the first, TV shows to go for laughs by being downright way-the-fuck out there.  Things like Married... with Children and 3rd Rock from the Sun often had the same kind of humor (someone would say something out loud that you just know nobody would really say), but to me were never as funny because it felt too forced.  The writers knew it would get laughs simply because it was so off-the-wall.  Before Soap, sitcoms were funny and sometimes absurd, but always had one foot in reality.  Things were funny, but you always see how someone clueless or whatever could end up in that situation.

With Soap, there were moments of "What the fuck?" that really broke new ground as far as network TV went (which is all there was at the time anyway).

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #427 on: February 23, 2010, 03:34:37 PM »
One of the things that's struck me about it was several rather cavalier references to abortion.  Any time one of the women gets in trouble,  they always announce "yeah, I think I'll keep it,"  like not keeping it was actually a perfectly normal and appropriate option to them.  I don't think shows today are supposed to treat abortion as anything less than evil.  I suppose that probably wasn't anything specific to the show itself as much as the time it was aired, though. 

It just seems rather odd to me that as shocking as the show was supposed to have been in the 70's (boycotts, complaints, stations refusing to air it), it's of course quite tame by today's standards, except that, which probably didn't turn any heads at all in 1979.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: February 23, 2010, 03:47:52 PM »
Umm... yeah.

Anyway, I always watched Soap.  It was so bizarro.

Soap was one of the first, if not the first, TV shows to go for laughs by being downright way-the-fuck out there.  Things like Married... with Children and 3rd Rock from the Sun often had the same kind of humor (someone would say something out loud that you just know nobody would really say), but to me were never as funny because it felt too forced.  The writers knew it would get laughs simply because it was so off-the-wall.  Before Soap, sitcoms were funny and sometimes absurd, but always had one foot in reality.  Things were funny, but you always see how someone clueless or whatever could end up in that situation.

With Soap, there were moments of "What the fuck?" that really broke new ground as far as network TV went (which is all there was at the time anyway).

I do think that "All In The Family" broke open the doors to comedy that people once though were untouchable subjects.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #429 on: February 23, 2010, 03:51:55 PM »
I agree that "All in the Family" broke some ground, but my biggest problem with "All in the Family" was that Archie Bunker was a raging ignorant bigot, and people thought it was hilarious.  As a minority, that bugged the fuck out of me, and I had trouble seeing anything other than a raging ignorant bigot.  I'm pretty sure I never laughed once watching that show.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: February 23, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »
I agree that "All in the Family" broke some ground, but my biggest problem with "All in the Family" was that Archie Bunker was a raging ignorant bigot, and people thought it was hilarious.  As a minority, that bugged the fuck out of me, and I had trouble seeing anything other than a raging ignorant bigot.  I'm pretty sure I never laughed once watching that show.

But now that your older do you think they used that as a tool against biggots like Archie and put him in that light as a comedic tool or did they think it was just funny?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #431 on: February 23, 2010, 04:25:02 PM »

Archie may have had his flaws, and was a loud blow-hard, but someone always put him in his place or demonstrated that he was wrong, even it it didn't occur to Archie.

Soap was awesome, and I think it opened the door for one of my favorite shows in the 80s - Sledge Hammer!  Any fellow Hammerheads on DTF? 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #432 on: February 23, 2010, 04:40:18 PM »
I guess the idea was to show how being like that is wrong, as he did tend to get put into his place.  But I rarely got to the resolution.

I remember a commercial for "All in the Family" that aired a lot.  It showed Archie Bunker reading through a list of... I think it was political candidates for something.  He reads the names out loud, and they're all names with clear ethnic backgrounds.  One is Hispanic, one is Italian, one is Japanese, and one is Anglo.  Bunker says "Hmm, a Spic, a Whop, a Jap, and a regular American."  Lots of laughs.  I'm sorry, but that was supposed to be funny?

Am I oversensitive to it because I'm a minority and have actually lived with racism and prejudice?  Definitely.  I guess I can see the "Ha ha, he's such an idiot" humor there, but the problem is that even if the idea is to ridicule Bunker, there were undoubtably people going "Yeah, and...?" because they don't see the problem in the first place.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #433 on: February 24, 2010, 07:09:41 AM »
Orbert, I agree with you. All In The Family was NOT the least bit funny. I don't think I was offended, I just thought it sucked.

Actually, my favorite show of all time is Sanford & Son.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #434 on: February 24, 2010, 07:15:10 AM »

"how would you like one across your lip!" :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: February 24, 2010, 08:04:28 AM »
Orbert, I agree with you. All In The Family was NOT the least bit funny. I don't think I was offended, I just thought it sucked.

That wasn't stereotypical either.  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #436 on: February 24, 2010, 08:32:31 AM »
No, I know it was. And the case could be made that Fred Sanford was a black Archie Bunker..but he was hilarious. But Fred Sanford took as many shots at black people as he did anyone else. He was equal opportunity.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: February 24, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »
No, I know it was. And the case could be made that Fred Sanford was a black Archie Bunker..but he was hilarious. But Fred Sanford took as many shots at black people as he did anyone else. He was equal opportunity.

Especially Esther! ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #438 on: February 24, 2010, 11:57:14 AM »

Especially Esther! ;D
When Esther had to get an operation Fred said she was having a "Horserectomy"! :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #439 on: February 24, 2010, 03:36:15 PM »
Sanford & Son was funny most of the time.  Then after a while I got kinda tired of Fred Sanford always griping about this or that, or ragging on Lamont about something stupid.

Man, I'm being a real downer here, aren't I?  Am I turning into a crotchety old man?  What the fuck?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: February 24, 2010, 04:08:35 PM »
Sanford & Son was funny most of the time.  Then after a while I got kinda tired of Fred Sanford always griping about this or that, or ragging on Lamont about something stupid.

Man, I'm being a real downer here, aren't I?  Am I turning into a crotchety old man?  What the fuck?

It's a shocking day when you sound like your father.........I know.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #441 on: February 24, 2010, 04:15:53 PM »
You'll know you're fucked if you start calling your immediate family members dingbat, meathead and dumbbell.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #442 on: February 25, 2010, 10:50:15 AM »

I aint going there. :biggrin:

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #443 on: February 25, 2010, 11:05:01 AM »
I knew it!  I am!

Shit.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #444 on: February 25, 2010, 02:11:41 PM »
You'll know you're fucked if you start calling your immediate family members dingbat, meathead and dumbbell.

:lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #445 on: April 20, 2010, 11:16:17 PM »
Something I've only now fully realized, but my fellow fogies will also appreciate, is how much concert sound has improved since the good ole days.  It happened so gradually that you never really noticed that all of a sudden everything sounds great now.  I just got in from seeing Porcupine Tree, and it was fantastically loud, but still crystal clear and mixed flawlessly.  Remember all those arena shows in the 80s where you could barely make out what song they were playing?  I have a hard time remembering the last concert I went to that really sounded like shit.   I often wax nostalgic about the great, hedonistic concert mentality of our youth, but this is one damn welcome improvement.  I still think there's an appalling lack of nudity, conflagration and wanton drug use at today's concerts, but it's nice to be able to hear it well while still getting your insides rumbled. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: April 21, 2010, 07:57:53 AM »
Something I've only now fully realized, but my fellow fogies will also appreciate, is how much concert sound has improved since the good ole days.  It happened so gradually that you never really noticed that all of a sudden everything sounds great now.  I just got in from seeing Porcupine Tree, and it was fantastically loud, but still crystal clear and mixed flawlessly.  Remember all those arena shows in the 80s where you could barely make out what song they were playing?  I have a hard time remembering the last concert I went to that really sounded like shit.   I often wax nostalgic about the great, hedonistic concert mentality of our youth, but this is one damn welcome improvement.  I still think there's an appalling lack of nudity, conflagration and wanton drug use at today's concerts, but it's nice to be able to hear it well while still getting your insides rumbled. 

Big difference today El Barto.  I'd say the best sounding concerts have been PT for me.  The first time we saw them my wife, brother and I were mouth opened with that stunned look.  It's something I wish bands would have on albums today.  That separation of instruments yet loud and clear. 

Pink Floyd sounded like nothing i've ever heard in 1994 and in a stadium to top that. 
Steely Dan also blew my mind for sound too.  Crystal Clear.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #447 on: April 21, 2010, 07:59:08 AM »
Is 35.
Is in incredible shape.
Is having random ED issues.
Is comfortable admitting it.
Is unsure how to proceed.

sigh.....
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #448 on: April 21, 2010, 08:45:32 AM »
Spot on, El B.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #449 on: April 21, 2010, 08:47:36 AM »

Big difference today El Barto.  I'd say the best sounding concerts have been PT for me.  The first time we saw them my wife, brother and I were mouth opened with that stunned look.  It's something I wish bands would have on albums today.  That separation of instruments yet loud and clear. 

Pink Floyd sounded like nothing i've ever heard in 1994 and in a stadium to top that. 
Steely Dan also blew my mind for sound too.  Crystal Clear.
Man, I'm just trying to think back to seeing ACDC in the old days, and it was just a wall of noise.  Yet another reason why kids today have no clue just how fortunate they are.  Little shits.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #450 on: April 21, 2010, 08:51:46 AM »
Is 35.
Is in incredible shape.
Is having random ED issues.
Is comfortable admitting it.
Is unsure how to proceed.

sigh.....
If you're comfortable admitting it to us, admit it to your doctor.  That's how you proceed.  Though to be honest, the word random suggests psychological causes, which is quite often the case.  You mention being in incredible shape, but it's probably your mental state that's the real consideration.
E.F. Benson

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #451 on: April 21, 2010, 09:00:13 AM »
^^....Im thinking its mental too......really weird.

And..now that it's on the brain....ITS ON THE BRAIN.....every time.
Fuk.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #452 on: April 21, 2010, 09:07:42 AM »
We all go through emotional funks from time to time.  Learn to cope better with stress and eventually you'll be in a better mindset and forget about your issue.  For the time being, pressure is a bitch. 

Were it me, I'd get myself checked to be on the safe side, then work out my stress/depression/WTFever on my own.  Unfortunately, I suspect the doctor's solution might be SSRIs.  It's unfortunate that they've become the solution to all of life's problems.  Kind of a cop out, if you ask me.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #453 on: April 21, 2010, 09:12:16 AM »
A trip to see the doc to be sure sounds like the best first step.  It does kinda seem like SSRIs are kinda a "catch-all" solution to these kinds of things nowadays.

Not to derail a serious moment, but when you said "I'd get myself checked", it reminded me of the horoscope that came from Onion News this morning:

The stars, in their infinite wisdom, recommend that you check yourself this week, as not doing so might lead you to wreck yourself in the future.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #454 on: April 21, 2010, 09:20:19 AM »
what are SSRI's?
Im not stressed.
I got enough money to be happy.
A great wife.
Good kid.
wtf.

ya...doc trip is likely.
sigh....

thanks fer listening.

Happy Lives to you all.