Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 324609 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club ! Ages 30 and over
« Reply #350 on: October 23, 2009, 11:59:46 AM »
Its official today I became a member of the unemployed ( to an extent) I no longer have to commute 4 hours a day (2 each way ) to work. I was let go today, but I will continue to receive my normal pay until Jan 23rd at that point I can apply for unemployment benefits, and I will receive my severance package equivalent to one years salary, I also will receive my medical/dental benefits until 12/31/2010 as well as job coaching and job placement services until that date as well. It feels like a huge burden has been lifted from my shoulders, now I can go ahead and have my surgeries as well as have time for the gym, before looking for something new.

Plus it will give me lots of time to attend shows  :metal

Did you win the lottery or get fired?

I really can't tell. :lol

In any case are all you old people still alive? You'd think by now a few would have dropped over from poor nursing home care or something.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #351 on: October 23, 2009, 12:00:11 PM »
Congratulations.  You should start working out, buy a classic Camaro, get a job at a burger joint, and fall in love with a hot jailbait girl.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:01:51 PM by Nick »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #352 on: October 23, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
Rule #11 Barto.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #353 on: October 23, 2009, 12:10:41 PM »
Rule #11 Barto.
Not only was it simply a movie reference, but I actually advised him against it.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #354 on: October 23, 2009, 12:15:32 PM »
Sorry, no idea it was a movie reference.

As for the other part, even though you did advise him against it, to me, or others who didn't get the reference it was still general promotion. :)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #355 on: October 23, 2009, 12:33:24 PM »
Its official today I became a member of the unemployed ( to an extent) I no longer have to commute 4 hours a day (2 each way ) to work. I was let go today, but I will continue to receive my normal pay until Jan 23rd at that point I can apply for unemployment benefits, and I will receive my severance package equivalent to one years salary, I also will receive my medical/dental benefits until 12/31/2010 as well as job coaching and job placement services until that date as well. It feels like a huge burden has been lifted from my shoulders, now I can go ahead and have my surgeries as well as have time for the gym, before looking for something new.

Plus it will give me lots of time to attend shows  :metal
What the hell, your severance package didn't include daily hummers from twenty year old asian hookers!!!  I'd protest!!!

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: October 23, 2009, 05:43:17 PM »
Holy fucking shit, that's a glorious (total) severance package!  Nothing even changes until next year, except that you don't actually have to go to work, and you could go another year without working before the money even catches up.

Where the hell did you work?

Dresdner Bank...A German bank in Manhattan...they were acquired by Commerzbank Germany and decided to downsize the US offices
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: October 23, 2009, 05:46:28 PM »
Congratulations.  You should start working out, buy a classic Camaro, get a job at a burger joint, and fall in love with a hot jailbait girl.

This was my intention the entire time...although I'm kind of undecided on the Camaro or a Mustang

First day off from the daily grind and i'm up at 7:30  WTF? finally get a chance to sleep in as late as I want and I am wide awake...guess its gonna take sometime adjusting the old internal clock..25 years of getting up early for work may take some time to work this out
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 06:05:30 AM by wkiml »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #358 on: December 18, 2009, 09:11:46 AM »
DTF is turning me into a grumpy old man.  All of these people keep started threads about top ten this or greatest that, and it's all total shit compared to the old days.  In the SNL thread, I'm the only person who mentioned stuff from the 70s and 80s (Millahh mentioned one).  Occasionally the more recent ones will do something funny; I chuckled at The Penis Mightier, but compared to the stuff we got to see, it's shit.  SNL has sucked ass for 20 years and those of us who were around 20 years ago know this. 

Then you have the top ten multiplayer games.  The new ones are cool, but nobody seems to appreciate anything that happened before 2007.  They disregard an era where style had to make up for a lack of technology.

It's pretty strange to me because this is a forum where damn near everybody can appreciate music that was made 20 years before they were born, but in any other category, only new stuff seems to matter. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #359 on: December 18, 2009, 11:00:53 AM »
I agree.  But I'm not sure what the solution is, or whether it's even a "problem" in the first place.  Good music is timeless.  People still listen to classical from hundreds of years ago, to jazz from half a century ago, and classic rock from 30 or 40 years ago.  But that's because it's still around.  We had parents, older siblings, and friends' older siblings when we were growing up, and we heard the music, so it's in us.  They say that the music you heard when you were growing up will always be your favorite, no matter what comes after.

I agree that SNL has sucked 90% of the time the last 20 years, but they don't even show the originals in reruns anymore.  When's the last time you saw the original Not Ready for Primetime Players?  Ackroyd and Murray.  John Belushi.  If all you've ever seen is stuff from the last 20 years, that's all you can pick from.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fair segment of the population that think Mike Meyers was an "original" cast member, just because he was funny and was on when they were kids.

The situation with MP games is a little different, but maybe not such a mystery.  Unlike TV (and music, kinda), games aren't free, and if you're laying out your own hard-earned money on a game, you probably aren't going to take a chance on a game from a few years ago, even if you've heard some good things about it.  Not when all your friends are raving about the latest Halo or Doom or Final Fantasy or whatever.  (I have no idea if any of those games are any good or are good examples, because I've never played any of them.  I just seem to hear about them a lot.)  They're pushing you to shell out $50 for it so you can all play, and they already have their copies.  Or can you pay $40 for Diablo II (which still owns them all IMO) but you'll be the only one playing it.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #360 on: December 18, 2009, 11:11:49 AM »
I'm as old as anyone on this board and I think the early 90's SNL with Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Dana Carvey, and Phil Hartman(an all time great !) was pretty darn good.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #361 on: December 18, 2009, 11:35:55 AM »
I'm as old as anyone on this board and I think the early 90's SNL with Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Dana Carvey, and Phil Hartman(an all time great !) was pretty darn good.
That was a golden era.  I rate it every bit as highly as the original.  When I referred to the 80s incarnation, I wasn't referring to Joe Piscapo, but to Neelan, Lovitz and the great Phil Hartman. 

Outstanding point, Orbert.  There really isn't access to a lot of this stuff anymore.  I guess it just annoys me that people who can't know better think so highly of something that's a shell of it's former self. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #362 on: December 18, 2009, 03:04:13 PM »
I haven't seen much of the early 90's SNL, but based on the clips I've seen, yeah, it was pretty good.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #363 on: December 18, 2009, 03:06:07 PM »
Congratulations.  You should start working out, buy a classic Camaro, get a job at a burger joint, and fall in love with a hot jailbait girl.

:metal

Sick movie!!!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #364 on: December 18, 2009, 03:11:48 PM »
Congratulations.  You should start working out, buy a classic Camaro, get a job at a burger joint, and fall in love with a hot jailbait girl.

:metal

Sick movie!!!!!
Hey 7,GTFO of this thread, come back in sixteen years.

As for SNL, the original crew was the best.  Nothing could ever top the likes of the Bab News Bees, Samuri, landshark, or Rosana Ana Dana.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #365 on: December 18, 2009, 03:14:09 PM »
Sorry. Just commeting on El Barto's awesome movie taste...I'm gone.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #366 on: December 23, 2009, 10:08:25 AM »
As for SNL, the original crew was the best.  Nothing could ever top the likes of the Bab News Bees, Samuri, landshark, or Rosana Ana Dana.

Eddie Murphy as Buckwheat is right up there as well.  80s and early 90s crew and skits were good.  Nearly everyone from those era's became household comedic names, or at least went on to some kind of primetime success.  Who has done that since the mid-90s... with any longevity.  Fey and Ferrell are the pretty much only ones that comes to mind - of course that could be because I don't know any other names.

Games... yeah, I had to chuckle at a lot of the comments on how the older games (Legend of Zelda for example) got slagged in the Top 200 of all time thread.  That list was clearly taking into account the effect the game had on it's own era of gaming - not just the quality of the game/or graphics (if that was the measuring bar, only games from 2008/2009 would qualify).  Really, Pong should be in there as the pioneer of home gaming.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #367 on: December 23, 2009, 10:59:15 AM »
Late 80's/early 90s was the 2nd Golden Age for SNL.  About 80% of the skits on any given night were great, and the rest were at least watcheable.

As far as MP games, well....I still have my most recent gaming system...an Atari 2600!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #368 on: December 23, 2009, 11:11:04 AM »
Late 80's/early 90s was the 2nd Golden Age for SNL.  About 80% of the skits on any given night were great, and the rest were at least watcheable.

As far as MP games, well....I still have my most recent gaming system...an Atari 2600!

Adventure rules!!!!!!!!  And so does Kaboom!!!!! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #369 on: December 23, 2009, 01:36:35 PM »

Yar's Revenge. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #370 on: January 05, 2010, 02:51:28 PM »
Question to moldies...

Am I the only person left who has never sent a text message ?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #371 on: January 05, 2010, 02:56:57 PM »
I reply went sent one, but that's pretty infrequent.  I'd rather talk than try to type.  Blackberry's odd idea for a keyboard doesn't work well with my brain. 

I did have an amusing exchange the other night with somebody who texted me by mistake. 
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: January 05, 2010, 03:51:11 PM »
Question to moldies...

Am I the only person left who has never sent a text message ?

I've only sent a few.  But I don't have text messaging.  Yup, I'm old.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: January 05, 2010, 03:53:25 PM »

Yar's Revenge. 

Loved that game too, El Barto.  Stampede, Superman.  I could go on .... :D

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #374 on: January 05, 2010, 04:20:32 PM »
Oh God, Adventure!!!  Boy that opened a rusty fucking dor in my memories.  I remember we used to screw around with the game by trying to get all three dragons in the room with the chalice when the game ended.  It was our own skill level we added when it got boring.  Also, remember how cheesy the 2600 version of Xaxon was compared to the stand up(details may be fuzzzy, for they are about twenty thousand beers old) :biggrin:

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: January 06, 2010, 02:42:47 PM »
blowing into the cartridges to get them to work   :rollin  they always recommended the q-tip  but that was to much to ask of me to get up and go to the bathroom to get one

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #376 on: January 06, 2010, 03:58:01 PM »
I didn't have Atari, we had Intellivision  :facepalm:

Oh, and I'll take early 80's SNL
Eddie Murphy
Joe Piscopo
Tim Kazurinski (Dr. Jack Padovski!)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #377 on: January 06, 2010, 04:28:15 PM »
I forget if I reported for duty in this thread or not, but yeah, I'm here.

Oh, and I had Intellivision AND Atari 2600. Good times. I used to love the game COMBAT. lol. That and Home Run. The Atari used to freeze all the time and I could run around the bases and beat it 99-0.

Good times.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #378 on: January 06, 2010, 04:36:07 PM »
I was never really a video game guy anyway.

In my store we sell that handheld football game, the one with the red lines. Yikes!

Also: I've never sent a text message in my life!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: January 06, 2010, 04:52:50 PM »
I was never really a video game guy anyway.

In my store we sell that handheld football game, the one with the red lines. Yikes!

Also: I've never sent a text message in my life!

Crap TAC, I loved that Coleco Football game. I played that for hours.  Also, I had a friend you had Intelevision Football and he always cheated and talked me by running through the other side of the screen.  Man I hated that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #380 on: January 06, 2010, 05:02:40 PM »
Intellivision was what the well-to-do kids had.  We were always envious of them.  Elitist bastards.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #381 on: January 06, 2010, 05:07:20 PM »
Intellivision was what the well-to-do kids had.  We were always envious of them.  Elitist bastards.

I don't think so. It was nowhere near as good as Atari. I don't even think it was as good as Colecovision!

I really didn't play it that much. I mean, we're talking the 7th f##king grade now.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #382 on: January 06, 2010, 05:22:54 PM »
We didn't have Atari or Coleco or Intellivision.  We had some cheesy unknown-company product that had six built-in games.  It was a box that attached to the antenna leads of your TV and you set the TV to channel 3 to see it.  There were two controllers (generic things with a knob and some buttons on each) and a pistol-shaped thing for the shooting game.  My mom found it at the drug store for like $20.  We weren't exactly rich, and this was a way to get on the console bandwagon.  Oddly enough, I'd never even asked her for one.

It was kinda fun.  Pong clone, Breakout clone, the shooting game, and some others.  Honestly, though, I never got into the console gaming thing.  I think I played it a lot for a few weeks, then at some point I realized it had been sitting there for months and I hadn't hooked it up.

My kids have Wii and PS3, had N64 and Genesis before that, but whatever.  I'm more into board games.  Real, physical games.  I will kick your ass at Monopoly or Risk.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: January 06, 2010, 05:39:57 PM »
Except Orbert, your kids would want to play board games on the Wii. ;D

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #384 on: January 06, 2010, 06:32:21 PM »
We didn't have Atari or Coleco or Intellivision.  We had some cheesy unknown-company product that had six built-in games.  It was a box that attached to the antenna leads of your TV and you set the TV to channel 3 to see it.  There were two controllers (generic things with a knob and some buttons on each) and a pistol-shaped thing for the shooting game.  My mom found it at the drug store for like $20.  We weren't exactly rich, and this was a way to get on the console bandwagon.  Oddly enough, I'd never even asked her for one.

It was kinda fun.  Pong clone, Breakout clone, the shooting game, and some others.  Honestly, though, I never got into the console gaming thing.  I think I played it a lot for a few weeks, then at some point I realized it had been sitting there for months and I hadn't hooked it up.

We had that as well.  It actually pre-dates the Atari by a year or two. 
E.F. Benson