Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 317235 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #2380 on: May 14, 2018, 05:39:08 PM »
And why did they name some device for fogeys the RacaTAC?
:rollin

That's a good question.

Does it come with a companion piece to get you in and out of it?

I mean, WTF do you do with it??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2382 on: May 14, 2018, 05:42:02 PM »
Tim, really? You don't know? Shit, it's even metal. :rollin
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2383 on: May 14, 2018, 05:45:38 PM »
Tim, really? You don't know? Shit, it's even metal. :rollin

I have never fucking heard or seen that in my life.

I don't turn 50 until September so maybe it's part of The Old Ass Welcome Package.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2384 on: May 14, 2018, 05:54:11 PM »
I've seen guys use it in remodeling houses to work on the lower parts of the walls.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2385 on: May 14, 2018, 05:56:19 PM »
I've seen guys use it in remodeling houses to work on the lower parts of the walls.

Like on TV, or in real life?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2386 on: May 14, 2018, 06:21:27 PM »
Real life.  Thgey swear it's a life saver.  They are on their knees for hours and this allows them to do so.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2387 on: May 15, 2018, 08:02:44 AM »
It's not really his fault, King. I really wouldn't expect someone who considers a cloudburst as an effective car wash to understand the pains of manual labor. I used mine to install 1/2" thick, 16x16, travertine tile on my back patio and still be able to go walk 18 holes of golf.

I simply thought millahh could have used one for his baseboard work to save him some pain.
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2388 on: May 15, 2018, 08:38:51 AM »
An easier way of doing that is to hire someone.  Then the only pain is in the elbow from the repeated motion of sipping from my beers as I watch.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2389 on: May 15, 2018, 08:41:24 AM »
 :lol

Now that is an old man's solution!
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2390 on: May 15, 2018, 08:45:18 AM »

Mmmnnn.  I don't seem to have that problem.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2391 on: May 15, 2018, 09:00:59 AM »
An easier way of doing that is to hire someone.  Then the only pain is in the elbow from the repeated motion of sipping from my beers as I watch.

And a hand cramp from writing the check(s)
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2392 on: May 15, 2018, 09:03:33 AM »
The only DIY category I refuse to attempt anymore is anything plumbing. I'll pay whatever to whoever to fix any plumbing issues. I've attempted those fixes in the past on my own and it has never worked out in my favor. Always ended up costing me a small fortune to attempt  the repair ending with me calling a pro anyway. So now, I just start with the call to the plumber and bite the bullet.

Most other household repairs/DIY items....improvements I can manage.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2393 on: May 15, 2018, 09:08:34 AM »
The only DIY category I refuse to attempt anymore is anything plumbing. I'll pay whatever to whoever to fix any plumbing issues. I've attempted those fixes in the past on my own and it has never worked out in my favor. Always ended up costing me a small fortune to attempt  the repair ending with me calling a pro anyway. So now, I just start with the call to the plumber and bite the bullet.

Most other household repairs/DIY items....improvements I can manage.

Last year I was changing the bathroom faucet and the U pipe underneath was rotted and I couldn't get it off afraid I would strip the pipe from the wall.  I called my buddy's son who was a plumber to help.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2394 on: May 15, 2018, 09:17:19 AM »
Plumbing is easy if you remember simple rules:

Turn off the water at the street first.
Teflon tape is your friend
Always tape clockwise from the end of the thread
Use two pipe wrenches; one to hold the pipe still, one to turn the fitting
Shit only rolls downhill
Never bite your fingernails
Payday is on Friday

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2395 on: May 15, 2018, 09:30:57 AM »
Plumbing is easy if you remember simple rules:

Turn off the water at the street first. Check
Teflon tape is your friend   Check
Always tape clockwise from the end of the thread   Check
Use two pipe wrenches; one to hold the pipe still, one to turn the fitting   Son of a
Shit only rolls downhill    Check
Never bite your fingernails   Check
Payday is on Friday   Thursday for us

The hard part.  Owning everything you need to work on your house.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2396 on: May 15, 2018, 02:31:28 PM »
It's not really his fault, King. I really wouldn't expect someone who considers a cloudburst as an effective car wash to understand the pains of manual labor.

Hey, I put in my mailbox last Spring!

In fact, The one it replaced I put in on the morning of the Pats/Rams Superbowl!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2397 on: May 15, 2018, 02:41:32 PM »
I've got to do that for my dad.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2398 on: May 15, 2018, 02:50:54 PM »
It's not really his fault, King. I really wouldn't expect someone who considers a cloudburst as an effective car wash to understand the pains of manual labor.

Hey, I put in my mailbox last Spring!

In fact, The one it replaced I put in on the morning of the Pats/Rams Superbowl!!

THIS was an event that was picture-worthy?? 

Fastforward 25 years, and you'll be re-posting it on page 350 of this thread, after finding it in a box in the attic.

"Hey guys... remember what we used to do when we were in our 40s!?!?"
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2399 on: May 15, 2018, 02:59:15 PM »
Tim, the funny thing is, that pictures shows exactly the work position the racatac is designed for! Take care of your knees and your back. You'll thank me in about 10 years.

BTW, I love your cute little bullet level.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2400 on: May 15, 2018, 03:23:48 PM »
THIS was an event that was picture-worthy?? 

Hey, I have a reputation to defend.

Tim, the funny thing is, that pictures shows exactly the work position the racatac is designed for!

I feel like when they make The Jerk Pt 2, Steve Martin's character will invent the Rac-a-tac and then be sued by millions of people with compressed diaphrams and livers.

BTW, I love your cute little bullet level.

Just as I posted the pic, I KNEW Gregg wouldn't let that level get by him. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2401 on: May 15, 2018, 03:36:07 PM »
 :rollin

Well I'm loving it. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2402 on: May 16, 2018, 11:22:50 AM »

I just noticed that tiny little shovel that you're caressing with a gentle, light friction, under-hand grip. :zydar:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2403 on: May 16, 2018, 01:20:13 PM »

I just noticed that tiny little shovel that you're caressing with a gentle, light friction, under-hand grip. :zydar:

Looks like he's wearing a Winger hat too

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2404 on: November 18, 2018, 04:34:21 PM »
My son texted this video to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvKekdS6eDw

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2405 on: January 07, 2019, 06:47:53 AM »
I’ve never felt so old as I do right now. Right groin has been barking at me for three weeks now. Tweaked it in a hockey game.....left elbow has some sort of weird persistent ache to where it’s effecting my grip strength....and both my ankles and right knee have been sending out signals that they aren’t happy with me as well.

Been training for two upcoming Trail Run races, (Feb. 17th & March 3rd) and playing hockey on Sundays. It’s starting to catch up to me I think. I’ve been a runner since Thanksgiving of 2007.....at least 3X a week minimum since then.....so I’m wondering being that running is so high impact on the joints that it’s just catching up to me?

Whatever it is.....I don’t believe I’ve ever had this many ailments all at once

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2406 on: January 07, 2019, 07:00:26 AM »
Gary,

The last time I was fit (when I was 49), I had to give up running in the real world because of the lower limb pain you speak of. I had to switch to low impact treadmills or my ankles and feet would be in agony. Eventually, I just gave up being fit!  :lol

My daughter swears by the barefoot running technique to eliminate stress to your body. I've tried it some and can't quite get the hang of it so I'm skeptical about it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2407 on: January 07, 2019, 08:05:47 AM »
Gary,

The last time I was fit (when I was 49), I had to give up running in the real world because of the lower limb pain you speak of. I had to switch to low impact treadmills or my ankles and feet would be in agony. Eventually, I just gave up being fit!  :lol

My daughter swears by the barefoot running technique to eliminate stress to your body. I've tried it some and can't quite get the hang of it so I'm skeptical about it.

I've always had 'bad luck' with treadmills. They seem to be harder on my body than outdoor running. I just think I need to adjust my frequency. I enjoy running.....really more for the mental relief than the actual exercise. But, I'm running 4 or 5 times a week right now and have been on that schedule for quite some time.

Were I to change my eating habits and eat healthier I think I could tone down my running schedule. Right now....it's designed to keep my love of chicken wings and chinese food in check.  :lol

I've heard about and seen the barefoot runners that your daughter speaks about. They even have a special 'shoe' that is nothing more than a neoprene sheath that protects the toes/foot. I've just never tried it. Especially since the majority of my running these days is trail running.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2408 on: January 07, 2019, 08:22:00 AM »
It's possible to use the barefoot running technique in regular running shoes. The idea is to land on the balls of your feet or slightly forward on the front pad thereby removing the impact of your heel. If you try it, you'll find it's easiest if you focus on leaning slightly forward. It's a real calf burner though!

As for treadmills, I bought a Nordictrack incline trainer and the suspension on it removes nearly all the impact. That has worked the best for me. Plus, I can catch up on my reading while doing cardio. Audio books make the workout go super quick.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2409 on: January 07, 2019, 10:12:03 AM »
When I (occasionally) run, it's always on a treadmill.  I get shin splints if I run on a hard surface, and I just don't enjoy the outdoor experience much.  Put me in front of my TV with a concert DVD, and I'm good.  I had the 5-fingers shoes as well, and really enjoyed running that way (exactly as Gregg described) as opposed to running shoes and landing heel/toe.  The first few times though... holy shyte did my calves burn!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2410 on: January 07, 2019, 10:24:00 AM »
I’ve never felt so old as I do right now. Right groin has been barking at me for three weeks now. Tweaked it in a hockey game.....left elbow has some sort of weird persistent ache to where it’s effecting my grip strength....and both my ankles and right knee have been sending out signals that they aren’t happy with me as well.

Been training for two upcoming Trail Run races, (Feb. 17th & March 3rd) and playing hockey on Sundays. It’s starting to catch up to me I think. I’ve been a runner since Thanksgiving of 2007.....at least 3X a week minimum since then.....so I’m wondering being that running is so high impact on the joints that it’s just catching up to me?

Whatever it is.....I don’t believe I’ve ever had this many ailments all at once

Dude, I am with you. Two years ago, I stupidly jumped from a high distance, and forgot to land on the balls of my feet, and landed flat footed. Tore up my lower back and right groin. Then went my daughter's birthday party a few months later, and tore up my left calf in one of those American Ninja Warrior-like "run and jump on this flat wall and climb it" things. I tore or did something. One of the worst pains ever. I hung on though, pulled myself up (and ripped up my arm muscles), using my right leg (left was dead), and slid down the pole. Couldn't walk for two days. Eventually I was fine, but even now, running and jumping...I still feel my left calf and right groin. I have to baby any sort of cardio activity. It sucks. Doc told me (he's my age, approaching mid-40s), welcome to old age.  :lol He said we could do surgery, but why introduce pain if I'm not into any serious pain and it doesn't affect my daily life all that much. Good point. So I am just moving forward, knowing I'm old as dirt, and modified my jump shot in hoops a bit so my calf doesn't knot up. LOL.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2411 on: January 08, 2019, 12:24:19 PM »
I avoided going to the eye doctor for 6 months to a year because I didn't want to hear what I already knew, since it would just confirm that I am old. I lost my nearsightedness during 2018 and was doing what the lady in the office referred to as 'playing the trombone' when trying to read something.

I finally got tired of the constant headaches and eye pain and went on Saturday. It's official, I need bifocals. He's hooking me up with progressive (YEAH!) lenses and anti-reflective coating and a blue light coating since I work in IT and stare at screens all day. It's the whole deal. Still sucks at 42 to already need bifocals.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2412 on: January 08, 2019, 12:25:31 PM »
How old do you need to be to participate in this thread?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2413 on: January 08, 2019, 12:46:23 PM »

I believe it's more a state of mind thing  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2414 on: January 08, 2019, 12:52:57 PM »

I believe it's more a state of mind thing  :lol

Actually, it's just the opposite ... it's a state of body