Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 333666 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #2345 on: April 22, 2018, 07:13:19 AM »
Yeah, the last time I went bowling, my wrist was jacked up for a couple of weeks.

Going golfing today with Dr. P. We're going to walk the course. I'm going to do an hour of stretches before we go.  :lol

Bowling is apparently accursed for fogeys.  It's been a REAL long time since I last went with the kids (7-8 years if I had to guess), and while it's a lot of fun, it is NO FUCKING FUN the day after.  My shoulder and lower back were a wreck.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2346 on: April 22, 2018, 12:08:49 PM »
Yeah, the last time I went bowling, my wrist was jacked up for a couple of weeks.

Going golfing today with Dr. P. We're going to walk the course. I'm going to do an hour of stretches before we go.  :lol

Bowling is apparently accursed for fogeys.  It's been a REAL long time since I last went with the kids (7-8 years if I had to guess), and while it's a lot of fun, it is NO FUCKING FUN the day after.  My shoulder and lower back were a wreck.
  Just use your cane or walker!  It will help! :biggrin:

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2347 on: April 23, 2018, 06:40:49 AM »
This could be helpful:

:biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2348 on: April 23, 2018, 09:33:08 AM »
That looks awesome!

At our local bowling alley, they have these same kind of things -- "ball launchers" or whatever they're called -- except that they're just a metal frame with two tubular steel guides that you roll the ball down.  They do exactly the same thing, but they're not shaped liked dragons or dinosaurs or anything fun like that, and thus are vastly inferior.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2349 on: April 23, 2018, 10:57:32 AM »
So. Because Im bored and my kid is 15, and I'm up early on weekends with nothing to do--I volunteered to coach a group of 7/8 year olds in hockey. And because nobody wants to coach the worst of the worst (barely skate and mostly "new Canadians") ya...that's what I signed up for.

So. After learning some rudimentary Chinese phrases. Dealing with some ADD kids and other issues....we got sorted out pretty quick.
That was in the fall and after they didn't lose from October until about the end of January (smirk) 16-2-2 final record.....lol......I don't like to lose. It's not that coached them like rep a team I just was smart about "hiding my warts" and....once the fathers who coached the other teams stopped talking to me in the rink hallways....well. I consider the season a huge success. LOL....

we went to a rock climbing place on the weekend for our year end party...and I feel every bit of my 43 year old bones today
OUCH
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2350 on: April 23, 2018, 11:18:02 AM »
The first part sounds awesome Kris.  2nd part... not as much.  I did a little rock-climbing maybe 10 years ago when we had the jingle.kids signed up to it.  Fun as hell, but not something I'd want to tackling on a regular basis nowadays
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2351 on: April 23, 2018, 11:32:48 AM »
Did some yard work around the house Saturday. Planted (41) new perennials, spread (30) bags of mulch and put a new block border around the patio we built last summer. Started the work around 10:30 which consisted of my dad and I hitting Lowes and loading up the thirty bags of mulch and (130) blocks I used for the border. I had purchased the plants/flowers the day before.

Get back to my house and then unload it all.....yadda yadda yadda.....it's 7:30 pm and I've completed it all.

Woke up yesterday and my body was stiff and sore like you wouldn't believe. Now, I consider myself to be in somewhat good shape for 42...I exercise regularly and maintain a decent weight....but jeez....the way my body felt yesterday you'd have thought I ran a Triathalon the day before. I thought since I was so tight perhaps a nice 5 mile run would loosen me up so I threw that on the pot as well yesterday afternoon.

Still feeling it today. I guess this 'aging' thing is no joke. The body just really likes to bark more and more as the years/months tic by.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2352 on: April 23, 2018, 11:37:09 AM »
Saturday morning, my workout consisted of some leg/hammy/back work.  Then yesterday, I shaved both my dogs (sadly, not a euphemism, I literally shaved the jingle.dogs) - which entails a lot of crouching, leaning, and bending over.  Mother of god was my lower back sore by the end of the day.  Still a little stiff today, but manageable.  Last night takin the dogs on a walk was near agony by the end of it.

<puts "stretching" on the list of things to do before shaving dogs>

:lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2353 on: April 23, 2018, 11:46:11 AM »
For me at least....this doesn't/hasn't felt like a gradual thing. It was like I went from being able to do a days worth of yard work...run, exercise and deal with the 'normal' soreness that comes from those activities to BOOM....everything's just exaggerated now. Same spots as far as aches and pains but just magnified.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2354 on: April 23, 2018, 01:36:19 PM »
For me at least....this doesn't/hasn't felt like a gradual thing. It was like I went from being able to do a days worth of yard work...run, exercise and deal with the 'normal' soreness that comes from those activities to BOOM....everything's just exaggerated now. Same spots as far as aches and pains but just magnified.

That happened the month after my 40th.  It was like the flick of a switch - I'd be able to recover from anything pretty quick, then all of a sudden, not so much.  My elbows have been fucked (essentially, tennis elbow) of and on since LAST February.  No matter what I do (accu, massage, ice, elbow brace...) nothing makes a difference.  It's not intolerable, just a bit of a biting pain when I lift things (light or heavy) at certain angles.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2355 on: April 23, 2018, 01:37:35 PM »
That happened the month after my 40th.  It was like the flick of a switch - I'd be able to recover from anything pretty quick, then all of a sudden, not so much.  My elbows have been fucked (essentially, tennis elbow) of and on since LAST February.  No matter what I do (accu, massage, ice, elbow brace...) nothing makes a difference.  It's not intolerable, just a bit of a biting pain when I lift things (light or heavy) at certain angles.

Have you had them looked at? X ray?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2356 on: April 23, 2018, 01:39:45 PM »
It ain't worth it.  There's no pain during the normal course of living, just a sharp little jab every so often - and with certain weight-lifting movements - eg, DB front/side raises.  Those really put the screws to me.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2357 on: April 23, 2018, 04:42:36 PM »
In my experience it will heal eventually, Chad, you just have to take care of it. Stick with the elbow brace/compression sleeves. Especially after the pain has all but disappeared. I know it's a pain in the ass, and looks dumb as fuck, but it works. I played golf, lifted weights, did yard chores (this is normal behavior for grown men, Tim) and home improvement projects for a couple for a couple of years with an elbow brace and just like my doctor told me it would, it eventually healed.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2358 on: April 23, 2018, 06:32:57 PM »
I saw that! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2359 on: April 23, 2018, 09:01:21 PM »
In my experience it will heal eventually, Chad, you just have to take care of it. Stick with the elbow brace/compression sleeves. Especially after the pain has all but disappeared. I know it's a pain in the ass, and looks dumb as fuck, but it works. I played golf, lifted weights, did yard chores (this is normal behavior for grown men, Tim) and home improvement projects for a couple for a couple of years with an elbow brace and just like my doctor told me it would, it eventually healed.

Thanks for the tip.  I've read advice that says to try and stretch/ice it, but don't rely too much on the brace.  Might just fuck it, and make sure I'm wearing whenever I do any meaningful arm activity (no comments from the peanut-gallery... if you're doing it right, it's all in the wrist   :lol).

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2360 on: May 07, 2018, 05:05:30 PM »
Speaking of yard work (look away, Tim), I trimmed the privet and mock orange bushes this weekend and had to take it stages that lasted from Saturday morning through Sunday morning. Still, my arms, chest and back are sore today (although not terrible). Just a few years ago, I could have done the whole project in a few hours.

Mrs. P is gearing up to remodel our bedroom in the coming month. I'm terrified!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2361 on: May 07, 2018, 05:11:24 PM »

Mrs. P is gearing up to remodel our bedroom in the coming month. I'm terrified!

Speaking of trimming the privet! :neverusethis:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2362 on: May 12, 2018, 07:50:52 AM »
For the past year or so I've been dealing with pain and weakness in my left shoulder. This is the same arm that was destroyed by Western Diamondback Rattlesnake venom when I was bit 16 years ago. The venom pretty much started to digest my muscle/tendons etc. in my arm since that's what venom does. Being that when I was bit I was a waiter who was being paid off the books....had zero insurance....I never followed up with physical rehab or anything like that. I noticed immediately in the following years that strength in my left arm was zapped and the 'endurance' when working with it was not very good.

Fast forward 13-16 years and I had always just dealt with the fact that my left arm was sub par. But, a few years ago I started developing a chronic pain in my shoulder. Nothing unbearable but the 'pain' has just been there in the background. I just figured it was associated with the bite and the fact I've never rehabbed or anything like that....I'm getting older and I'm sure age just picks the weak spots in your body to attack first.

Well last night while playing hockey I ran smack dab....left shoulder first.....into a freaking mountain of a human being. All 170 lbs of me traveling at maybe 15 mph collided with this freak of nature 250 lb dude who was probably going 15 mph or so.....BOOM....shoulder first.....needless to say I didn't win that collision.

Immediately I 'heard' something in my shoulder.....like a crunch or grind. It didn't feel good at all. I continued to play and just had near zero strength in that arm. Came home and couldn't even sleep on my left side...couldn't sleep at all.

It's weird because to touch it or move it it's not unbearable or even present. It's just like if I try to really 'use' my arm for something that's when the pain shoots. It feels muscle related but at the same time like I said if I push and prod on the muscles it doesn't hurt. It's deeper than that...almost under them.

I'm gonna see how this thing shakes out over the next day or two but I have a suspicion I might actually have to go get this looked at. I've been avoiding it because 1) I'm a man and men are stubborn like that and 2) I really don't want to spend any $$ on a surgery. I have great insurance but still would rather not 'waste' the money on it. But I can say that I don't think I can just go along with this new level of pain that collision caused.

Old Fogey complaint over.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2363 on: May 12, 2018, 08:42:41 AM »
Ouch. Hope that isn't anything serious, man!

As we get older, I find that it's just not worth it to play a lot of sports.  I played soccer with a bunch of old friends years ago (in my late 30's) in a local league and quickly realized that it was not for me anymore.  Not even taking into account that a lot of guys who play soccer approach it like it's life or death and have no problem putting you into a wall or taking your knees out, I just didn't have the cardio anymore to keep up with a bunch of younger guys. And I was still in pretty good shape then.  Sucks getting older. :censored

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2364 on: May 12, 2018, 08:55:24 AM »
Gary, let's put it this way.  Image 10 to 15 years down the road and you never took care of it and you can't pick up your first grandchild because of the pain.

Get it looked at.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2365 on: May 12, 2018, 09:02:52 AM »
Gary, let's put it this way.  Image 10 to 15 years down the road and you never took care of it and you can't pick up your first grandchild because of the pain.

Get it looked at.

Good point. This has done nothing but get worse with time.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2366 on: May 12, 2018, 09:19:27 AM »

Get it looked at.

Good point. This has done nothing but get worse with time.

And yet somehow - at 40+ - you think it's suddenly going to get better (or stay the same) on its own?   :lol

At least get some massage therapy for it - a real one, not no $20 happy ending place either.  When I threw my back out 4 years ago, it was constant chiro and rmt - weekly for about 2 months before it got better.  Dude, you put oil in your car on a regular basis, right?  That way, you don't wreck the tranny every 2-3 years.

Get this looked at.

You dumbass.   :biggrin:

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2367 on: May 14, 2018, 10:24:38 AM »
So we're about three weeks into painting and light renovation on our new house, trying to get everything done before the moving truck arrives...and ohgodmyknees...I feel like they are going to fall off.  It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't a 90-year-old house where we wanted to repaint ALL of the trim, which was original, natural, detailed and with about six coats of shitty stain/varnish on it.  So many baseboards....  It's actually fine during the day, but when I get in bed or wake up, they are filled with concrete.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: May 14, 2018, 10:56:33 AM »
Is it from kneeling or crouching, Millahh?

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2369 on: May 14, 2018, 11:00:56 AM »
Is it from kneeling or crouching, Millahh?

Mostly crouching, and the up-and-down.  Anything that would require kneeling, i'm either on my side or else sitting cross-legged (though not for too long)
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2370 on: May 14, 2018, 11:02:45 AM »
Yeah, not much you can do (that I know of) for sore knees from crouching. I sympathize with your pain, strenuously.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2371 on: May 14, 2018, 11:28:59 AM »
Nowadays, I don't crouch at all, unless I know for a fact that it will only be for five or ten seconds, tops.  If I'm working on something that requires me to be at a lower level than standing upright, I find something of the appropriate height to sit on.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2372 on: May 14, 2018, 11:55:12 AM »
Mrs. P bought me one of these Racatac for working low to the ground. Wouldn't want to do without it now.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2373 on: May 14, 2018, 12:21:07 PM »
I look like Andre The Giant getting off the mat when I'm on my knees.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2374 on: May 14, 2018, 05:23:48 PM »
Mrs. P bought me one of these Racatac for working low to the ground. Wouldn't want to do without it now.

What in the fucking hell is that? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2375 on: May 14, 2018, 05:27:13 PM »
And why did they name some device for fogeys the RacaTAC?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2376 on: May 14, 2018, 05:28:28 PM »

I dunno, but I think Tarantino considered it for the gimp scene in Pulp Fiction.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2377 on: May 14, 2018, 05:30:28 PM »
I look like Andre The Giant getting off the mat when I'm on my knees.

Does that mean when you are on the ground, you roll until you have something to grab to help you up? :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2378 on: May 14, 2018, 05:33:43 PM »
Maaaaayyybbbeeee?! :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2379 on: May 14, 2018, 05:34:43 PM »

It would save your knees when trying to get a raise.