Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 334382 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #2205 on: March 01, 2018, 06:24:57 AM »
My sister used to say she had a headache in her leg when she was little.  You're just having a colonoscopy in your throat  :lol

Had one myself (called a gastroscopy down this way) and it's definitely preferable to the other end .  Might not even need to go under - I just had a sedative and some anaesthetic spray on the back of the throat. 

Best of luck with it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2206 on: March 01, 2018, 06:39:53 AM »
Thankfully, everything is still A-ok here... though I've got my annual physical next week.  Still holding off on the mining expedition, but with a family history of pollups and a couple of forms of cancer (my dad's side), it's an inevitability.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2207 on: March 01, 2018, 06:47:10 AM »
A colonoscopy isn't that bad, Chad. The prep the night before is worse than the procedure or the recovery. Considering what can be found and eliminated while it's not yet a problem, it is so worth it. Schedule the procedure today!

You really, really, don't want colon cancer!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2208 on: March 01, 2018, 06:49:27 AM »
My sister used to say she had a headache in her leg when she was little.  You're just having a colonoscopy in your throat  :lol

When my eldest daughter was about three years old, she would belch and say, "Oops, I farted out my mouth, Daddy."
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2209 on: March 01, 2018, 06:50:33 AM »
Well, I've joined the ranks of the daily pill takers. I held out for all these years, and if I'd taken better care of my body I'd probably be able to avoid it.

Got the high blood pressure, as Archie Bunker would say. And it's pretty frighteningly high. And after a week of taking beta blockers it's still high as fuck. I wish the Doc would have told me that you may not see results until after a couple weeks of taking the meds. I had to read it on the interwebs to find out.

Also, it looks like I may have a ulcer. Going in next Wednesday to get my stomach scoped...kind of a colonoscopy but from the other end. I sure hope they use a different scope!

Got to get it done!  I got the letter for my colonoscopy since in 12 days I'll be 50.  I had the endoscopy as well as colonoscopy at the same time 10 years ago.  I joked that it was like a pig roast.  Poles in both ends. :lol

Yes the prep the night before is brutal.  Green water shooting out.  The procedure you are out.  You don't feel a thing.  You wake up and are very hungry and woozy from being put out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2210 on: March 01, 2018, 07:22:31 AM »

When my eldest daughter was about three years old, she would belch and say, "Oops, I farted out my mouth, Daddy."

Takes after her old man. :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2211 on: March 01, 2018, 07:24:16 AM »
I was scared shitless before my colonoscopy (I do NOT like being put out; I don't' think I've ever taken a sedative in my life - not counting alcohol; you know what I mean) but after?  It was like waking up after the best nap I've ever taken in my life.  I was hungry - no shit, the prep is brutal - but it's like that roller coaster ride that LOOKS scary, but isn't really.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2212 on: March 01, 2018, 07:34:46 AM »

Takes after her old man. :neverusethis:

Kinda explains my breath, eh?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2213 on: March 01, 2018, 08:09:16 AM »
Good Luck Gregg. Hopefully it's not an ulcer.  Did they say that your BP is something you can get under control and eventually get off the meds or is this meds from  here on out?

I'm 42 and have yet to even do the fun prostate visit.  :(  I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that I 'need' to start thinking about some of these 'old guy' Dr. Visits.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2214 on: March 01, 2018, 08:29:29 AM »
My understanding is that colonoscopy as a routine preventative thing is on its way out. I gather PSA is becoming predictive enough to cover most people.

@Gregg--How high was your BP? Is one beta blocker all they gave you? Which one? Some work fast as hell and some are maintenance. I generally didn't get along with beta blockers, but thankfully there are a ton of different routes they can go. Seems to me that doctors generally have their preference, possibly related to quality of swag and the length of skirt their rep wears, but if you have any issues you can with any number of options.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2215 on: March 01, 2018, 08:29:51 AM »
We'll have to see, Gary.

She (my doctor) definitely said that if I got more exercise and more roughage in my diet--thereby shedding some pounds--that could help a lot. Of course, she also is on me to quit smoking but my her own admission I don't smoke enough (about six cigarettes per day) to account for how sky high my pressure is... 168 over 116. Keep in mind that in 2014 it was 130 over 86 and I was roughly in the same shape I am today, so something has changed.

I'll take these beta blockers, daily, for about a month and then get a full physical to see where we're at. Hopefully it's not a symptom of something more serious. I'll admit, I worry about it a little. You know what they say, once a cancer-patient always a cancer-patient.  :P

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2216 on: March 01, 2018, 08:33:15 AM »
EB,

I don't remember what type. I'd need to check the bottle when I get home. I think it started with an "A" and yes, only one pill per day.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2217 on: March 01, 2018, 08:36:19 AM »
Don't go down that rabbit hole.  Always think positive!!!

Gary, I had issues and they thought at one point in my early 40's that I had Celiac's disease.  Do I had both tests done.  It wasn't hard at all.  It's the night before and the cleansing of the bowls that's, well, let's say enlightening.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2218 on: March 01, 2018, 08:42:24 AM »
If you haven't already, buy a cheap BP monitor (or two, one for work) and check your BP a few times a day. Just standing in a Dr's office adds quite a bit. You might find it's quite a bit lower throughout the day.

And while 168-116 isn't healthy, you're not going to pop or anything. That's something you'll easily get under control and probably isn't doing any damage yet.

edit: Oh, and even in the hospital getting numerous fast acting meds IV, it still took 5 days to get mine under control.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2219 on: March 01, 2018, 08:47:46 AM »
I already have two (Mrs. P has had high blood pressure for 15 years--although she's nearly at the point that the doctors want to take her off them), a full arm cuff fancy Omron one that goes "bing", and one of those cheap wrist ones.

And while 168-116 isn't healthy, you're not going to pop or anything. That's something you'll easily get under control and probably isn't doing any damage yet.

I'm going to ask my doctor why she couldn't have told me this! :getoffmylawn:

Thanks, EB!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2220 on: March 01, 2018, 08:52:39 AM »
I already have two (Mrs. P has had high blood pressure for 15 years--although she's nearly at the point that the doctors want to take her off them), a full arm cuff fancy Omron one that goes "bing", and one of those cheap wrist ones.

I'm going to ask my doctor why she couldn't have told me this! :getoffmylawn:

Thanks, EB!
Because she wants to you take it seriously and it really does need to be brought down. I had a doctor let me off the hook with very similar BP, which is to say that he told me to change my diet, exercise, and we'll see where it goes. In retrospect had he put me on meds then and there (which I would have resisted) it might have delayed a fair amount of grief.
E.F. Benson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2221 on: March 01, 2018, 08:56:53 AM »
See, this conversation is exactly what me and my siblings used to make fun of our parents, grandparents and aunts and uncles for. Sitting around at family gatherings comparing ailments, medications, health advise.  Fogy thread indeed! :lol

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2222 on: March 01, 2018, 09:30:54 AM »
Is the BP stress-related?  Mine had shot up quite a bit above normal (~150 top number), then came back down to ~120/80 once I'd rearranged my life (and mind) a bit to address it.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2223 on: March 23, 2018, 07:34:51 AM »
Got the big "snip snip" yesterday.  The procedure wasn't too bad.  They prescribed me a valium to take an hour beforehand to help me relax. It was a no needle, no incision procedure, which has a quicker recovery time.  Doctor was quite cool and we talked about metal music and concerts during the procedure.  He said he saw the Stones in the Aragon ballroom (5000 capacity venue), which is pretty awesome.

Numbing was delivered by an air blast of lidocaine, which felt like a few flicks to the beanbag.  Unpleasant, but not painful like a few jabs with a needle down there.  Procedure felt weird...no pain, but pressure as he worked and manuvered and held various parts of my anatomy.  Plenty of swelling afterwards, which was weird to see and feel.  Pain is manageable with some norco and tons of icing, but still slightly uncomfortable if I move a lot.  Today is day 2 of being on the couch, so hopefully by tonight or tomorrow I'll be back to normal. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2224 on: March 23, 2018, 07:57:56 AM »
Got the big "snip snip" yesterday.  The procedure wasn't too bad.  They prescribed me a valium to take an hour beforehand to help me relax. It was a no needle, no incision procedure, which has a quicker recovery time.  Doctor was quite cool and we talked about metal music and concerts during the procedure.  He said he saw the Stones in the Aragon ballroom (5000 capacity venue), which is pretty awesome.

Numbing was delivered by an air blast of lidocaine, which felt like a few flicks to the beanbag.  Unpleasant, but not painful like a few jabs with a needle down there.  Procedure felt weird...no pain, but pressure as he worked and manuvered and held various parts of my anatomy.  Plenty of swelling afterwards, which was weird to see and feel.  Pain is manageable with some norco and tons of icing, but still slightly uncomfortable if I move a lot.  Today is day 2 of being on the couch, so hopefully by tonight or tomorrow I'll be back to normal.

I recommend another full day tomorrow of laying around. I've known guys that feel better on day 3 and get up and do 'normal' activities then that's when the issues start. When I had mine I was three straight days laying down in bed rotating the ice packs.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2225 on: March 23, 2018, 08:05:33 AM »
I recommend another full day tomorrow of laying around. I've known guys that feel better on day 3 and get up and do 'normal' activities then that's when the issues start. When I had mine I was three straight days laying down in bed rotating the ice packs.

This. So. Much.  The urologist I had (almost 15 years ago now) said he only did the procedure on Friday mornings to give people the entire weekend.  He had one (moron) client that went water-skiing over the weekend, and by Monday had two grapefruits between his legs.

Bag of frozen corn, and lots of TV in bed is how I spent that weekend.  Sadly, Netflix wasn't a thing back then.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2226 on: March 23, 2018, 08:22:27 AM »
The above three posts is why I always recommend a hysterectomy!  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2227 on: March 23, 2018, 08:31:56 AM »
 :lol

The only time a I need a bag of frozen corn down there is to cool it down.  :heybaby:

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2228 on: March 23, 2018, 10:52:49 AM »
I'm doing as much resting and icing as possible.  With a nearly 3 year old and 6 month old kids, I have to help out occasionally.

Wife gave birth twice, so it was my turn to endure the procedure.  Plus it's much less invasive than having her tubes tied.  Though it certainly felt invasive to me, knowing what was happening as I was laying on that table with my junk showing through a surgical drape.  The urologist made me start laughing when he was cauterizing after the snip, saying "if you see smoke or smell something burning, don't worry....its just your balls"   :lol

Online T-ski

« Reply #2229 on: March 23, 2018, 10:55:12 AM »

got snipped back in November.  if you do absolutely nothing for 2 to 3 days and ice all the time you'll be feeling normal pretty quick.  the doctor that did mine said he likes to play music during the procedure and most guys ask to hear "Big Balls".  I requested "Leave that Thing Alone" by Rush but he messed it up somehow.  rather he messed up the song than the procedure.

not surprisingly he said getting snipped is most popular around March Madness.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2230 on: March 23, 2018, 11:40:00 AM »
I'm doing as much resting and icing as possible.  With a nearly 3 year old and 6 month old kids, I have to help out occasionally.

Wife gave birth twice, so it was my turn to endure the procedure.  Plus it's much less invasive than having her tubes tied.  Though it certainly felt invasive to me, knowing what was happening as I was laying on that table with my junk showing through a surgical drape.  The urologist made me start laughing when he was cauterizing after the snip, saying "if you see smoke or smell something burning, don't worry....its just your balls"   :lol

Goodness gracious!

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2231 on: March 23, 2018, 11:45:22 AM »
A colonoscopy isn't that bad, Chad. The prep the night before is worse than the procedure or the recovery. Considering what can be found and eliminated while it's not yet a problem, it is so worth it. Schedule the procedure today!

Words of wisdom! The prep is way worse than the procedure. Not eating for 24 hours plus shitting out a river definitely is the suck ass part. The procedure itself is not big deal at all. Do it for yourself, but more importantly, do it for your family!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2232 on: March 23, 2018, 11:47:00 AM »
By the way...
I'm having hernia surgery April 9th. Good times! :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2233 on: March 23, 2018, 11:53:46 AM »
By the way...

I hear the procedure is way less evasive and recovery time is much less these days.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2234 on: March 23, 2018, 11:55:56 AM »
I had hernia surgery last summer!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2235 on: March 23, 2018, 11:56:17 AM »
By the way...

I hear the procedure is way less evasive and recovery time is much less these days.
That's good to hear. I was told to plan on taking a week before returning to work. Does that sound about right?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2236 on: March 23, 2018, 11:59:50 AM »
TAC is better suited to tell you.  I've never had one but friends of mine had the surgery and that's what they told me.  I don't quite remember the timetable.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2237 on: March 23, 2018, 12:01:42 PM »

Words of wisdom! The prep is way worse than the procedure. Not eating for 24 hours plus shitting out a river definitely is the suck ass part. The procedure itself is not big deal at all. Do it for yourself, but more importantly, do it for your family!

April 6th.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2238 on: March 23, 2018, 12:02:57 PM »
When I got snipped the Dr. had told me at the consultation to shave the area prior to coming in. Wasn't very specific. So, morning of I'm in the shower and started prepping the area......yadda yadda yadda.....twenty minutes later I had razor shaved from about 6" above my knees to right around my belly button. ALL gone....smooth as a baby's bottom. I'll admit....I got a little carried away  :lol

So, fast forward to getting into the room and this Medical Assistant comes in......she couldn't have been a day over 21, probably had just graduated whatever 2 year program a week before......pretty cute.....and she instructs me to remove my clothes and lay on the table and cover myself with the linen.

She comes back in.....just her and I'm laying there and she comes over with a bottle of iodine or something.....lifts the linen and immediately notices I had deforested my entire lower half and made the comment that I had taken the preparation pretty serious. She then just begins to manipulate Jr. down there spreading the iodine or whatever it was all over. It was such a weird feeling because until that moment it'd been 8 years since any other woman other than my wife had 'handled' me so intimately  :lol   

I was so uncomfortable I blurted out......"So, my name's Gary and I enjoy hiking and playing golf"  She just grinned a bit and went about her business. It was such an awkward experience. Then the Dr. comes in and got a look at the excessive manscaping I had undertook and said "Looks like you covered prepping the area" in a funny/sarcastic type tone.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2239 on: March 23, 2018, 12:09:47 PM »

April 6th.
:tup

Some nice music to help pass the time on prep day! :biggrin: