Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 332217 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #1960 on: August 05, 2016, 11:58:58 AM »
Oldest confirmed DTF member?  Curiosity

After Charlie Dominici, a cursory search of the calendar indicates it's user Franz, but he only posted like twice.  It could be someone else that hasn't listed their birthdate, though.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1961 on: August 05, 2016, 12:08:22 PM »
I'm the same age as Orbert...for a couple of weeks anyway.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1962 on: August 07, 2016, 09:23:37 PM »
Ah yes, I believe Mr. Peccary is my elder by a bit.  I'm not sure who's the eldest amongst regular posters.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1963 on: August 07, 2016, 09:29:55 PM »
I'm so glad I'm not the oldest here.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1964 on: August 09, 2016, 01:44:29 AM »

Me too!  :biggrin:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1965 on: August 09, 2016, 05:18:40 AM »

Me too!  :biggrin:

Are there any forumers in their 60s here?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1966 on: August 09, 2016, 07:25:49 AM »
:soon:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1967 on: August 09, 2016, 07:49:44 AM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1968 on: August 09, 2016, 12:31:56 PM »
 :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1969 on: August 09, 2016, 03:31:10 PM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1970 on: August 23, 2016, 09:55:17 AM »
We leave later today to drive 1000 miles to take my younger child to college, where we will leave her and see what happens.  Hopefully, we have prepared her for what awaits her, or at least as well as can be expected.

I love her dearly, of course, but I look forward to this.  In my philosophy, the purpose of life is to pass your genes on to the next generation.  Couple that with other things like "If you're going to do something, do it right" and you get the implied obligation to prepare your offspring for life as an independent being.  That obligation never ends of course, but this is an important step toward independence, an important milestone, and I always look forward to those.  I'm anxious to see how she does.  I'm curious to see how well-prepared she is, as that is largely a reflection of myself and her mother, as well as herself.

So this will be interesting.  Head out this afternoon, drive all day Wednesday, arrive Thursday morning.  Move an entire SUV full of stuff into a dorm room.  Leave Friday morning to come back to a somewhat emptier house (Son of Orbert still lives with us, but we don't see him a lot).  Mrs. Orbert will be crying during much of this.  I will be busy driving, and thinking about stuff, as always.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1971 on: August 23, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »
Been there.

It's a good thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1972 on: August 23, 2016, 10:15:08 AM »
Well, good lock with that, O!

Gonna be a long ride home.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #1973 on: August 23, 2016, 08:27:27 PM »
I'm not a fogey.... :(
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1974 on: August 23, 2016, 08:47:57 PM »
We leave later today to drive 1000 miles to take my younger child to college, where we will leave her and see what happens.  Hopefully, we have prepared her for what awaits her, or at least as well as can be expected.

I love her dearly, of course, but I look forward to this.  In my philosophy, the purpose of life is to pass your genes on to the next generation.  Couple that with other things like "If you're going to do something, do it right" and you get the implied obligation to prepare your offspring for life as an independent being.  That obligation never ends of course, but this is an important step toward independence, an important milestone, and I always look forward to those.  I'm anxious to see how she does.  I'm curious to see how well-prepared she is, as that is largely a reflection of myself and her mother, as well as herself.

So this will be interesting.  Head out this afternoon, drive all day Wednesday, arrive Thursday morning.  Move an entire SUV full of stuff into a dorm room.  Leave Friday morning to come back to a somewhat emptier house (Son of Orbert still lives with us, but we don't see him a lot).  Mrs. Orbert will be crying during much of this.  I will be busy driving, and thinking about stuff, as always.

I'm sure she will succeed beyond all expectations.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1975 on: August 28, 2016, 07:30:28 AM »
Thanks, guys!  We are back.  The trip was a success, in that we made it there and back, and did all the we set out to do.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1976 on: August 28, 2016, 05:02:54 PM »
Awesome!!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1977 on: August 28, 2016, 05:23:58 PM »
Both my kids graduated this past May,, so this is the first time in five straight years that I'm not doing the college drop off thing. I kinda miss it though. Even though there's always that element of stress for parent and child, they were always fun times for me.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1978 on: August 29, 2016, 07:37:49 AM »
My youngest daughter (13) is starting school today (8th grade) in her new school.

For those not aware, we recently moved from a small town to a larger city, about 2 hours away.  The school she is starting today is much, much larger than her old school, and she knows no one.  She is very apprehensive, and my heart goes out to her.  I know this transition is going to be toughest on her.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1979 on: August 29, 2016, 09:23:29 AM »
I'm sure she'll have no problem making new friends, but yeah, it's tough at that age changing schools and areas.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1980 on: August 30, 2016, 02:07:53 PM »
My youngest daughter (13) is starting school today (8th grade) in her new school.

For those not aware, we recently moved from a small town to a larger city, about 2 hours away.  The school she is starting today is much, much larger than her old school, and she knows no one.  She is very apprehensive, and my heart goes out to her.  I know this transition is going to be toughest on her.

I'm thinking (hoping) she may find out quickly that it's neat being at a larger school.....more of a chance to meet and make friends with people that share her same interests and maybe more opportunities for activities. I hope that's the case for her and that the transition is smooth.

We are going through the same thing with our three sons. They've been private school kids for their schooling career thus far but we took them out and put them in public this year. Our oldest two (10,9) were a tad apprehensive as well...more because they were losing their friends and wouldn't know anyone. It's been two weeks and they've both made a handful of buddies already and seem to be handling it well. Our youngest simply can't be phased by anything so it's been no big deal to him either.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1981 on: August 30, 2016, 02:33:07 PM »
Good luck to both of you and your children.

My 15 year old is entering 9th grade this year. He's my special needs guy so he's actually a year behind his age group. Anyway, for 7th grade, our town could not give him the services he needed so he attended the school in the next town over, which has a school population of 4-5x what we have. (We live in a small town). Both towns have the Middle and Senior High Schools in the same building.
I actually stepped down from my position at work to help the transition a couple of years ago. It's all worked out as he has had the best two years of school he has ever had.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1982 on: August 31, 2016, 07:38:23 AM »
That's awesome, TAC.

So far, so OK for my daughter.  She has already met some people, and doesn't hate all of her teachers.  So that's good.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1983 on: September 16, 2016, 10:55:45 AM »
Okay fogeys... I've got a conundrum that I want your feedback on. I feel like older folk would have a better mindset for my situation.

My husband has 2 friends, a couple. We have known them for years - him only a couple years longer than I. The wife likes to get stupid drunk at parties. As an example, the last party they were invited to at our house, 45 minutes after they arrived she was so drunk she spilled her drink all over our patio table and her husband decided it was time to go. The last party at their house that we went to, we arrived at 3pm and she was already hammered. When she gets hammered, she constantly tells me how much she loves me... over and over. How much she respects me that I don't get drunk, that I don't judge her, she wishes she could be like me. Now I don't mind that she gets drunk... what I mind is that she is an obnoxious, belligerent drunk that becomes obsessed with me. Which is a shame, I really like her sober and her husband.

So my conundrum is - we are going to their house for her bday party tomorrow. I've come to the conclusion that I think we need some sort of code word between my husband and I when I've had enough. My husband is extrovert, so he loves parties no matter what and doesn't seem to notice my torture. I'm an introvert and can only handle so much. How would you handle the situation?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1984 on: September 16, 2016, 11:05:04 AM »
The safeword is "NOW."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1985 on: September 16, 2016, 11:23:29 AM »
The safeword is "NOW."

Exactly.  :lol

In all seriousness, I'd say take to vehicles. When you've had enough, leave. Your husband can stay and enjoy himself as long as he wishes (or maybe take Uber if he's had a few). My guess is that he's not getting full enjoyment out of the event if he's worried about how you are handling it.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1986 on: September 16, 2016, 11:47:15 AM »
The safeword is "NOW."

Exactly.  :lol

In all seriousness, I'd say take to vehicles. When you've had enough, leave. Your husband can stay and enjoy himself as long as he wishes (or maybe take Uber if he's had a few). My guess is that he's not getting full enjoyment out of the event if he's worried about how you are handling it.

My husband can definitely stay if he wants to, I wouldn't have a problem with that. I don't think he worries too much about me, but I also don't like to voice my feelings on the situation which is why it goes a bit unnoticed. I guess I'm trying to find a polite way to get out without drawing too much attention or being rude.

Although... my MIL is also supposed to show up... so can I just call in sick?  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1987 on: September 16, 2016, 11:51:19 AM »
It sounds to me like he's not worried about it anyway.

Drive separately, leave when you've had enough torture.  Perhaps, in time, your husband will come to realize how bad this situation really is.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: September 16, 2016, 12:02:32 PM »
I don't think he worries too much about me,

It sounds to me like he's not worried about it anyway.

Yeah, I was probably projecting. I'd be concerned if my wife wasn't having a good time.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1989 on: September 16, 2016, 12:33:22 PM »
Okay fogeys... I've got a conundrum that I want your feedback on. I feel like older folk would have a better mindset for my situation.

My husband has 2 friends, a couple. We have known them for years - him only a couple years longer than I. The wife likes to get stupid drunk at parties. As an example, the last party they were invited to at our house, 45 minutes after they arrived she was so drunk she spilled her drink all over our patio table and her husband decided it was time to go. The last party at their house that we went to, we arrived at 3pm and she was already hammered. When she gets hammered, she constantly tells me how much she loves me... over and over. How much she respects me that I don't get drunk, that I don't judge her, she wishes she could be like me. Now I don't mind that she gets drunk... what I mind is that she is an obnoxious, belligerent drunk that becomes obsessed with me. Which is a shame, I really like her sober and her husband.

So my conundrum is - we are going to their house for her bday party tomorrow. I've come to the conclusion that I think we need some sort of code word between my husband and I when I've had enough. My husband is extrovert, so he loves parties no matter what and doesn't seem to notice my torture. I'm an introvert and can only handle so much. How would you handle the situation?

Me, being an introvert, would stay home, but I know you don't want to be completely rude. Just tell your husband ahead of time and explain it to him. There needs to be compromise between the two of you. I know he handles it better than you but that doesn't mean your contrasting nature should be completely dismissed. I've been there, many times. Tell him you want to stay for a little while but then that's it.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1990 on: September 16, 2016, 12:36:08 PM »
Well I don't want to make it sound like my husband doesn't care, I'm sure he does. If I asked to leave, he would go with me, and has in the past. I just usually wait as long as I can hold out and would prefer not to this time. I'm sick of it and if the MIL is there, the torture will build quickly lol I'm also making him aware of the issue this time - hence thinking about using some sort of code word. I don't think he always sees the attention she gives me - we aren't always near each other at parties, etc.

Me, being an introvert, would stay home, but I know you don't want to be completely rude. Just tell your husband ahead of time and explain it to him. There needs to be compromise between the two of you. I know he handles it better than you but that doesn't mean your contrasting nature should be completely dismissed. I've been there, many times. Tell him you want to stay for a little while but then that's it.

Definitely. He saw the issue a bit more clearly at the last party and I made my feelings apparent. So this time I'm bringing it up before hand.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1991 on: September 16, 2016, 12:41:51 PM »
That's all you can do. I hope it goes well...the party that is. Just to go off on a tangent about this, I get really bad anxiety before things like that. My stomach gets all knotted and I feel like I just want to run and hide.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1992 on: September 16, 2016, 03:54:33 PM »
Yeah, I would mention to him beforehand, that when you say it's time to go, it's TIME TO GO. When my wife and I are out or over someone's house, usually one of us will lean over and say "whenever you're ready" which is our code to GTFO.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1993 on: September 16, 2016, 04:08:31 PM »
I forgot to mention that Mrs.P and I have a code word for when it's time to go: Macaroon. We think it's fun to try and figure out how to work it into the conversation.  :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1994 on: September 16, 2016, 05:23:40 PM »
My wife knows that once we arrive anywhere it's about time to go because there's a 9/10 chance I didn't want to go in the first place.  So, I'm ready to leave after we say hi to the hosts.

But to answer the question i don't think you need a code word. He or you should just look at one another and give 'that' "let's get the  :censored out of here" look.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind