Author Topic: A different approach to FII  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: A different approach to FII
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 08:48:03 AM »
I was under the impression the intended double album would be arranged the way MP did on the FII Demos Ytse Jam release.

This.  I don't know why there is speculation, since we already know what that would look like.   

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 09:23:37 AM »
I was under the impression the intended double album would be arranged the way MP did on the FII Demos Ytse Jam release.

This.  I don't know why there is speculation, since we already know what that would look like.

I disagree. The Demos are in order of when they were written and recorded (like all the other Demo discs). The only exception is Metropolis 2, which was placed at the end as a bonus track. I don't think there's any question that if they released a double-disc, they would have switched up the order.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 09:53:35 AM »

The tracks on FII Demos are in the order they were written in, not the order MP wanted them to be on the final album. (E: Myung'd by OpenYourEyes)

My personal tracklist for FII would be a tighter and more compact version with only 8 songs, just like the first two albums:

1. The Way It Used to Be
2. Burning My Soul
3. Hell's Kitchen
4. Lines in the Sand
5. Speak to Me
6. Peruvian Skies
7. Hollow Years
8. Trial of Tears

You could also throw in the demo version of Take Away My Pain and the album would be as long as TOT and DT12.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 10:18:49 AM »
I have an playlist of FII material. Since creating it, this is the album to me, for all intents and purposes.

Goes like this:

1 New Millennium
2 Peruvian Skies
3 You or Me (from Demos)
4 Hollow Years (Live at Budokan)
5 Hell's Kitchen
6 Lines in the Sand
7 Cover My Eyes (Demos)
8 Raise the Knife (Score)
9 Speak to Me (Demos)
10 Trial of Tears

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »
I don't understand why most people can's see Anna Lee as a closer. Follows the old school, like Space-Dye vest and Beneath the surface. It feels perfect for me. Anyway, agree to disagree.

Structurally, Anna Lee just doesn't work as an album closer in the same way as  Space-Dye Vest or Beneath The Surface.  Both of those tracks have a pretty gradual build up to a fairly dramatic climax.  Anna Lee doesn't have that.  It's climax is too weak for an album closer.  And the last track on the album needs to have a killer climax.

Fixed:

01 - Trial of tears (13:06)
02 - Hollow years (5:53)
03 - You not me (4:58)
04 - Take away my pain (6:03)
05 - Just let me breathe (5:28)
06 - New millennium (8:20)
07 - Peruvian skies (6:43)
08 - Burning my soul (5:29)
09 - Hell's kitchen (4:16)
10 - Lines in the sand (20:00) - including "hidden track"

;)
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2015, 01:34:54 PM »
What?! The order is perfect! I mean this order, of course, because anything else is NON FREAKIN CANON

(Joking, of course, but I really think the demo of FII is the best FII, in every regard including song order).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2015, 11:12:42 PM »

I disagree. The Demos are in order of when they were written and recorded (like all the other Demo discs). The only exception is Metropolis 2, which was placed at the end as a bonus track. I don't think there's any question that if they released a double-disc, they would have switched up the order.

This is my understanding as well.  I think it's pretty obvious that MP put them in chronological order of when they came about...which is not the way the final product would have turned out. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2015, 11:10:43 PM »

This is my understanding as well.  I think it's pretty obvious that MP put them in chronological order of when they came about...which is not the way the final product would have turned out.

Yes and no.  On the one hand, I know the track order on the demos (excluding Metropolis 2) is the order in which the songs were written.  On the other hand, though, the demos do have a very nice flow to them, far too nice to just be a coincidence.  It possible that as they wrote the songs, they just kind of came out in an order that felt like a real album because they thought after writing a track, "Okay, what kind of song should follow that?"  I don't have any proof to back up that theory, but given how well the track order on the YtseJam demos fits together, it would make sense.

Personally, my preferred FII looks like this:

CD 1
Raise The Knife (demo)
Where Are You Now? (demo)
Take Away My Pain (demo)
You Or Me (demo)
Anna Lee (demo)
Burning My Soul (album version)
Hell's Kitchen (album version)
Lines In The Sand (demo)

CD 2
Just Let Me Breathe (demo)
Peruvian Skies (demo)
The Way It Used To Be (demo)
Cover My Eyes (demo)
Hollow Years (demo)
New Millennium (demo)
Speak To Me (demo)
Trial Of Tears (demo)

Moving TWIUTB to the second disc and and having the album versions of BMS & HK maintains the symmetry of the demos, plus you also get that excellent flow of BMS/HK/LitS from the final album, creating a perfect climax for the end of the first disc.  And while I know I mentioned earlier that you could place ACoS at the end of a FII double album, there is just something about ToT that makes it a flawless closer for the entire record.