Author Topic: A different approach to FII  (Read 3683 times)

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
A different approach to FII
« on: June 19, 2015, 06:41:37 AM »
I think one of the problems with this record is the order of the songs. I was trying this playlist to get a better progression. I think it works great. Let me share it with you guys:

01 - Trial of tears
02 - Hollow years
03 - You not me
04 - Take away my pain
05 - Just let me breathe
06 - New millennium
07 - Peruvian skies
08 - Burning my soul
09 - Hell's kitchen
10 - Lines in the sand
11 - Anna Lee
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: A different approach to FII
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 06:54:59 AM »
Anna Lee doesn't work as a closer at all.

Also FII is amazing and doesn't really have any problems at all.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 06:58:57 AM »
I really like having the "epic" as the album closer, and don't think Anna Lee works well in that spot.
And I think ToT is a bit long for an album opener. Have some foreplay first before the full prog penetration.

I think the running order is perfect as is already, I'd just ditch YNM and call it a day.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline zecawolf

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 07:15:02 AM »
Hum. IDK. FII is the DT album that I like the least. The order of the songs doesn't help that much really.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 07:17:03 AM »
Yeah, the problems with the album have nothing to do with the order of the songs. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 07:23:33 AM »
Geez Blob - "full prog penetration" ...........

*anything to stop the thought process*
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 07:39:01 AM »
Geez Blob - "full prog penetration" ...........

*anything to stop the thought process*

:lol Shouldn't be too hard to do, as it's basically an oxymoron, isn't it? Prog. Penetration. Canceling forces.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 08:53:22 AM »
Anna Lee doesn't work as a closer at all.
This
And this.
I think the running order is perfect as is already, I'd just ditch YNM and call it a day.
And this.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 09:46:29 AM »
Maybe I forgot to say that I love FII. It was just a different way to appreciate it.

Whatever. Sorry for the inconveniences.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 11:01:12 AM »
No worries Jedi.  If that's how you like listening to it, that's great.  It's amazing what you can do with playlists these days.  Very convenient.

Personally, I wish they would've included Raise the Knife and cut out a couple of the other much less stellar songs on the album.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 11:08:14 AM »
The only album I have reordered (and deleted tracks from) is Systematic Chaos, where my play list is:
ITPOE 1 & 2
Forsaken
Constant Motion
TDEN
Repentence (sometimes)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 11:44:58 AM »
No worries Jedi.  If that's how you like listening to it, that's great.  It's amazing what you can do with playlists these days.  Very convenient.

Personally, I wish they would've included Raise the Knife and cut out a couple of the other much less stellar songs on the album.

Thanks pal. Actually, I've been listening to this record for 18 years. Like I said: I love it. And all over these years, I've heard so many bad comments about it, I thought with a different order it would be more appreciated. Because after a dark, heavy record like Awake, and a complex, progressive opening track like NM, people may have expected something different. And there's the massive disappointment. FII has many "slow" moments like HY, HK, TAMP, AL and half of UPS. So, if you start the record with a slow, delicate intro like ToT, you will know, this is not a heavy metal album, but something to be appreciated in a quiet atmosphere. Of course it has metal on it, but the sophistication prevails all over it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 09:57:39 PM »
The only album I have reordered (and deleted tracks from) is Systematic Chaos, where my play list is:
ITPOE 1 & 2
Forsaken
Constant Motion
TDEN
Repentence (sometimes)

SC is the only one I've re-ordered, but only to put ITPOE as one song at the end of the album. Deleting tracks is heresy.
Normally I wouldn't even think of re-ordering an album though. It is what it is.

Offline 425

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 10:00:39 PM »
the sophistication prevails all over it.

So I hurt your feelings
Well I'm really sorry
But I don't give a shit
Noooooooooooooooooo

I'm just teasing, but sophistication is not the word I'd go for with regard to parts of FII.

On topic, I understand the impulse to rearrange track orders, but on FII, there's nothing I'd want to change. The track listing is great as is. Including You Not Me. Would've loved for them to have gotten Raise the Knife in there somewhere, but I'm also fine with that existing as its own separate non-album track.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline de_fromage

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 02:09:32 AM »

It's a great album, no problems there.

I get what you're proposing here but there's a lot of hate for this album that doesn't deserve at all.

Also... I once was trying to backup my theory that FII and ToT were a kind of dicotomic-related albums. Just for things like "Burning My SOUL - This Dying SOUL" That part that says "In the STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS" and some other things I don't remember at the moment.

Highschool... too much free time.
Ringo is one of my top 5 Beatles.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 10:26:37 AM »
I like New Millennium, but I've always found it a rather underwhelming opener.  It's too bad Burning My Soul isn't a better song, because the intro is nails and would have been a cool opener had the rest of the song been better.  This album really doesn't have a song that would have been a great opener, from a quality and opening-vibe standpoint, IMO.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 11:59:05 AM »
ITPOE 1 & 2
Forsaken
Constant Motion
TDEN
Repentence (sometimes)

Deleting tracks is heresy.

Sort of this.  I've been known to skip tracks and that's sort of the same thing.  As far as re-ordering albums, I usually just put it on shuffle and see what happens.  Surprisingly, some songs blend together well.  Better than the original order.  Good info for future playlists.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 02:33:10 PM »
The only album I have ever reordered and deleted songs from is ADToE to make it flow like IaW. But if I'm actually listening to an album, I always take it as it is.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Cable

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 10:31:04 PM »
Jumping on the re-order train for SC only. I actually combined Pt 1 and 2 of ITPOE into one track, snipping some of the wind sound.

I prefer it at the first position. I never agreed with MP about not using it to open an album due to length. Although longer than both, Close to the Edge and 2112 opened their respective albums.
---

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 07:10:34 AM »
I don't reorder FII per se, but for me, the Ytsejam Version is definitive.  I'm a melody guy, and while I like heavy as well, it always has to have something hummable, and this album has that in spades.    The only thing that bugs me about the album is the cheesy over-enunciation of the "It's all about YEWWWWW, not MAAAAAAYYYYYYY" part, and I think the Doug Pinnick vocals on "Lines in the Sand" are the single worst musical moment in DT history.

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 04:14:18 PM »
sweet gonna try this tonight:)

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 10:43:44 AM »
Since FII was originally supposed to be a double-album, I've always envisioned it would've flowed something like this had the band gotten their way and used all their material: 

DISC 1:

1) New Millennium
2) Cover My Eyes
3) You Or Me (original cut)
4) Peruvian Skies
5) Hollow Years
6) Burning My Soul (original cut f/ most of what became Hell's Kitchen)
7) Raise The Knife
8) Lines In The Sand

DISC 2: 

1) Metropolis Pt. 2 (original cut - although I'm glad this never happened and we got Scenes From a Memory instead)
2) Where Are You Now
3) The Way It Used To Be
4) Take Away My Pain (original cut)
5) Just Let Me Breathe
6) Anna Lee
7) Trial of Tears
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 03:35:42 PM by pdurbin22 »

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 11:11:34 AM »
I was under the impression the intended double album would be arranged the way MP did on the FII Demos Ytse Jam release.

Anyway, I really dig the idea of opening with TOT. Yes, it's got the slow intro, but once it takes off, the energy just skyrockets, and I find the whole thing incredibly compelling. Following with the ballad single is interesting, as is ending with Hk/LITS – I'm sorta ignoring AL as I agree with several other posters that it doesn't work (on the album, at all).

This is the one I put together, with a way different approach that will likely be disliked equally:
Burning My Soul
Just Let Me Breathe (great transition from BMS, though, with some crossfading)
You Not Me (w/extended opening and ending from demo)
Peruvian Skies
Hollow Years
Lines in the Sand
The Way It Used to Be
Take Away My Pain
New Millennium
Hell's Kitchen
Trial of Tears

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 11:59:43 AM »
I will disgust some people here.

I never liked A Change of Seasons being stuck on the EP.  And I didn't like parts of FII.

So . . . my FII is :

A Change of Seasons
Peruvian Skies
Hollow Years
Hell's Kitchen
Lines in the Sand
Take Away My Pain
Anna Lee
Trial of Tears

Comes in at around 71 minutes.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 01:11:14 PM »
This is the one I put together, with a way different approach that will likely be disliked equally:
Burning My Soul
Just Let Me Breathe (great transition from BMS, though, with some crossfading)
You Not Me (w/extended opening and ending from demo)
Peruvian Skies
Hollow Years
Lines in the Sand
The Way It Used to Be
Take Away My Pain
New Millennium
Hell's Kitchen
Trial of Tears
My favorite one so far, if it had been organized in another order.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline zecawolf

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 01:15:40 PM »
I  like ACOS being in an EP on its own. It is far better than everything on FII.

Offline Cable

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 02:12:29 PM »
I  like ACOS being in an EP on its own. It is far better than everything on FII.

And I feel ACOS is as justified being on I&W as it is FII. I too am happy where it is, and I prefer the EP version over the potential I&W version on that note (see New York 93 official bootleg).
---

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 02:12:47 PM »

:iagree:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 03:24:58 PM »
I don't understand why most people can's see Anna Lee as a closer. Follows the old school, like Space-Dye vest and Beneath the surface. It feels perfect for me. Anyway, agree to disagree.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 06:37:33 PM »
I don't understand why most people can's see Anna Lee as a closer. Follows the old school, like Space-Dye vest and Beneath the surface. It feels perfect for me. Anyway, agree to disagree.

Structurally, Anna Lee just doesn't work as an album closer in the same way as  Space-Dye Vest or Beneath The Surface.  Both of those tracks have a pretty gradual build up to a fairly dramatic climax.  Anna Lee doesn't have that.  It's climax is too weak for an album closer.  And the last track on the album needs to have a killer climax.  That's why Trial of Tears works so well as an album closer; it has the album's best literal high point at it's climax.

Speaking of which, Trial of Tears is much, much too slow in it's build up to work as the first track on an album, and the song as a whole is not energetic enough to lead off a record.  While a gradual increase in intensity can be good for an opening song, it has to lead into a pretty balls out track to work (like Pull Me Under or The Glass Prison).  Trial of Tears is far too laid back for an album opener.  If you wanted a big song at the beginning of the album, Lines In the Sand would work much better.

Honestly, considering all the tracks that were lost and rearranged between the demos and the final product, I think the tracklist for FII is about as good as it could have been.  I still think the demos would have made a much better album then what we got (although I would swap out the incomplete Metropolis 2 for A Change Of Seasons), but taken as it is, FII is still a fairly solid record.  A reshuffling of the tracks really would not have done it any favours.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:42:52 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 10:41:35 PM »

I like ACOS being on its own so it doesn't ruin IaW or FII and I don't have to listen to it.

And imo having FII as a double album would have turned it into somewhat of a Load/Reload situation, with a bunch of really good songs diluted by throwaway filler tracks into two weak discs. This is a case of less is more.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 11:20:34 PM »

I like ACOS being on its own so it doesn't ruin IaW or FII and I don't have to listen to it.

And imo having FII as a double album would have turned it into somewhat of a Load/Reload situation, with a bunch of really good songs diluted by throwaway filler tracks into two weak discs. This is a case of less is more.

I disagree about FII, since I like all the songs that were cut from the demos.  Plus with the possible exception of Burning My Soul/Hell's Kitchen, all the demo arrangements are just as good as, and in many cases, better, then what ended up on the finished product.  Dream Theater's discography, as a whole, is "all killer, no filler" for me, so having a 2+ hour FII double album would have suited me just fine.  And even the weakest songs from the FII demos are as good, if not stronger, then the best stuff on Re/Load (not that that is saying much.)

As for ACOS, that is a top 4 DT song for me, so obviously I don't think it would ruin any album it is placed on.  I only mentioned putting it on the FII demos because it's an easy replacement for the incomplete Metropolis 2, plus it was the only other thing they did in the studio with Derek, so it is a natural fit to fill that gap.  I don't really consider it necessary to place with the FII demos, but it is an easy fit for an otherwise album-less song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 11:24:50 PM »
Imo every single change on FII was for the better, including the songs that were chosen to cut. At best the cut songs are ok, and at worst bad filler, but in every case they're redundant.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 11:26:10 PM »
Well, we will just have to agree to disagree on that, I suppose. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 11:27:54 PM »
Unless either of us is up for a cage match to the death (which I'm not because of my weak limbs and desire to remain alive), then we shall agree to disagree.