Poll

What is the best John Myung DT studio album performance? (You can select up to 3 albums)

When Dream and Day Unite
11 (9.6%)
Images and Words
24 (21.1%)
Awake
14 (12.3%)
Falling into Infinity
16 (14%)
Scenes from a Memory
20 (17.5%)
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
5 (4.4%)
Train of Thought
6 (5.3%)
Octavarium
5 (4.4%)
Systematic Chaos
2 (1.8%)
Black Clouds and Silver Linings
1 (0.9%)
A Dramatic Turn of Events
3 (2.6%)
Dream Theater
7 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: The best bass playing in a DT studio album  (Read 1759 times)

Offline erwinrafael

The best bass playing in a DT studio album
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:12:39 PM »
What is your favorite bass playing performance for an album (not an individual song) in the DT catalogue? With John Myung's outstanding work, I imagine it would be really hard to select just one, so I am allowing up to three options to be selected.

Here are my top three:

1. Scenes from a Memory - this is John Myung at his best. I listened to the full album this morning and I love how he made his presence felt in all the songs. Rhythmic and playful at the same time, it has a lot of signature moments. He had tasty licks in Overture 1928 and Strange Deja Vu. He carried the band in Fatal Tragedy, Beyond This Life, and Home with outstanding rhythmic playing that's full of character, not merely duplicating Petrucci's rhythm guitars. Even the slow songs like The Spirit Carries On, One Last Time and Through Her Eyes are played beautifully with a distinctive voice. I would even go out on a limb that the technically difficult The Dance of Eternity is the second least impressive bass playing in the album (he basically did a lot of duplication of what the other instruments are doing outside his solo), and for me that's just how good the bass playing in SFAM is.

2. Falling into Infinity - this is quite close to what Myung did in Scenes from a Memory. I think Falling into Infinity is a breakthrough for Myung as this, for me, is where he found the balance between being rhythmic and playful. Highlights for me are Trial of Tears (possibly the best bass playing in an individual DT song, with only Octavarium as a close contender), Peruvian Skies (love love love how he played the bass in the stanzas, so full of character), the aggressive rhythm in Burning My Soul , and the use of the chapman stick in New Millennium. Heck, he played amazing bass even in DTF-hated songs You Not Me and Just Let Me Breathe. :p

3. Dream Theater - this is a different animal for Myung. While my first two choices are examples of the balance between rhythm and playfulness, Myung's bass playing in Dream Theater is a mix of rhythm and aggression. Not playfulness, but in-your-face aggression. The booming Taurus-pedals in TLG, the "duets" with JR (Along for the Ride) and JP (Illumination Theory and TLG), the way he carried the rhythm along with MM in Enigma Machine and Behind the Veil are amazing. And, of course, Surrender to Reason, which is the best bass playing in a DT song in a long while. The aggression in the instrumental section was  :metal.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:29:43 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline CharlesPL

Re: The best bass playing in a DT studio album
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 11:40:13 PM »
WDaDU, IaW, FII

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:50:03 PM »
IaW, FII, SFAM.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 03:25:58 AM »
1. FII
2. Awake
3. Images

Offline genome

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 04:25:59 AM »
In before "I don't know, I can't hear him"  ;D

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 04:51:07 AM »
I don't know, I can't hear him.

:neverusethis:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 06:03:21 AM »
WDADU is the only correct answer, and also the only album where he's audible consistently.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 06:09:03 AM »
... They have a Bassist?  :huh:

;)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 06:29:20 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 07:07:15 AM »
IaW, FII, SFAM.

I'd agree with this, these are the albums that jumped to mind as ones where his parts are unique, creative, and can stand alone away from JP's guitar lines on their own.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 07:50:08 AM »
What is your favorite bass playing performance for an album (not an individual song) in the DT catalogue? With John Myung's outstanding work, I imagine it would be really hard to select just one, so I am allowing up to three options to be selected.

Here are my top three:

1. Scenes from a Memory - this is John Myung at his best. I listened to the full album this morning and I love how he made his presence felt in all the songs. Rhythmic and playful at the same time, it has a lot of signature moments. He had tasty licks in Overture 1928 and Strange Deja Vu. He carried the band in Fatal Tragedy, Beyond This Life, and Home with outstanding rhythmic playing that's full of character, not merely duplicating Petrucci's rhythm guitars. Even the slow songs like The Spirit Carries On, One Last Time and Through Her Eyes are played beautifully with a distinctive voice. I would even go out on a limb that the technically difficult The Dance of Eternity is the second least impressive bass playing in the album (he basically did a lot of duplication of what the other instruments are doing outside his solo), and for me that's just how good the bass playing in SFAM is.

2. Falling into Infinity - this is quite close to what Myung did in Scenes from a Memory. I think Falling into Infinity is a breakthrough for Myung as this, for me, is where he found the balance between being rhythmic and playful. Highlights for me are Trial of Tears (possibly the best bass playing in an individual DT song, with only Octavarium as a close contender), Peruvian Skies (love love love how he played the bass in the stanzas, so full of character), the aggressive rhythm in Burning My Soul , and the use of the chapman stick in New Millennium. Heck, he played amazing bass even in DTF-hated songs You Not Me and Just Let Me Breathe. :p

3. Dream Theater - this is a different animal for Myung. While my first two choices are examples of the balance between rhythm and playfulness, Myung's bass playing in Dream Theater is a mix of rhythm and aggression. Not playfulness, but in-your-face aggression. The booming Taurus-pedals in TLG, the "duets" with JR (Along for the Ride) and JP (Illumination Theory and TLG), the way he carried the rhythm along with MM in Enigma Machine and Behind the Veil are amazing. And, of course, Surrender to Reason, which is the best bass playing in a DT song in a long while. The aggression in the instrumental section was  :metal.

I would add Awake to this list, but pretty much my thoughts. FII also some Chapman Stick playing by Myung...probably the only time he will use it :(

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 01:55:13 PM »
I'm going with WDADU, FII and DT. He has so many cool lines on the first album and he's very audible. And a lot of the times he's doing something melanholic, which he doesn't do a lot.

FII has less agression than most DT albums, so JM has more room. JM has so many cool grooves going on, in NM, LITS and TOT.

DT has power and individuality. This is the JM that suits best for the 'modern' DT. STR, EM and IT are standouts for me there.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 01:59:27 PM »
Scenes and Dream n Day.

Voted for WDaDU
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 10:30:12 PM »
WDADU is the only correct answer, and also the only album where he's audible consistently.

Myung is very audible in FII and DT. And even SFAM and SDOIT.

Surprised that BC&SL got votes. Myung was barely audible in that record. Not because of the prod, but I always felt that Myung's playing there is timid, for some reason.

Images and Words is leading. I guess I should not be surprised.

I'm going with WDADU, FII and DT. He has so many cool lines on the first album and he's very audible. And a lot of the times he's doing something melanholic, which he doesn't do a lot.

He did a lot of melancholic playing outside WDADU, particularly in Through Her Eyes, the stanzas of Peruvian Skies, Misunderstood, and Anna Lee. Myung is amazing with his range of styles.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 12:11:25 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 09:50:15 AM »
1. ToT
2. Awake
3. I&W

Surprised ToT only has 5 votes so far.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Cable

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 09:05:20 PM »

While I love ToT and its direction, and probably say it's top 5, it's cannot touch WDADU, I&W, Awake and SFAM for me. I think what really helps him on the album is the mix actually gave him justice, despite being right in the middle of all the crunch.

It should get more respect, and the more I think about it, the more great parts he does have. Sure, it's not Ytsejam, LSOAD and so on like. But he has AIA intro, TDS chromatic unison section, writing Vacant, SOC ending, and the unison samba part of INTOG to name the obvious.

But, I could not pick those ToT parts over the best parts of LSOAD, Scarred, Voices, PMU, Metropolis and so on.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:20:11 PM by CableX »
---

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 01:22:27 AM »

While I love ToT and its direction, and probably say it's top 5, it's cannot touch WDADU, I&W, Awake and SFAM for me. I think what really helps him on the album is the mix actually gave him justice, despite being right in the middle of all the crunch.

It should get more respect, and the more I think about it, the more great parts he does have. Sure, it's not Ytsejam, LSOAD and so on like. But he has AIA intro, TDS chromatic unison section, writing Vacant, SOC ending, and the unison samba part of INTOG to name the obvious.

But, I could not pick those ToT parts over the best parts of LSOAD, Scarred, Voices, PMU, Metropolis and so on.
Hmm yeah I agree, but like you said, those parts in ITNOG and SOC for instance, they're not just great but they are also very easy to notice, so it's the first thing that comes to my mind.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.