Author Topic: Good the First Time, Bad the Rest  (Read 3362 times)

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired
Good the First Time, Bad the Rest
« on: June 16, 2015, 04:25:02 PM »
I hadn't seen The Hangover in a while and remembered it being enjoyable, but man I hadn't realized how few jokes there really were. Just naked Asian and juvenile shit. Left a douchey aftertaste in the mouth.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 09:26:38 AM by bosk1 »
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Good the First Time, Shit the Rest
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 04:45:54 PM »
The Hangover is funny, but I never thought it was all-time great funny like many did.  I think the shock value of "what will happen next?" is why some overrated it.  Multiple viewings, with that shock factor gone, show how great it really isn't.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 06:55:38 AM »
"It's like the movie Expendables 2. First time: hated it. Second time: hated it. Third time: it was ok! But then the fourth, sixth, seventh, tenth time I watched it, I realized something...it's, just, it's not good. It's just not a good movie"

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 07:01:24 AM »
Not Avatar

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 07:07:02 AM »
Not Avatar

You're right. That was shit the first time too. :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 07:07:24 AM »
 :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 07:07:52 AM »
I think Avatar counts, but I feel similar about some other major movies, like TASM2. Movies where I enjoy the movie going experience, but after analyzing/letting them sink in, they're really not anything special.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 07:08:57 AM »
I think Broken Arrow and Swordfish were like that for me. I loved it to death when I first saw them both in the theater, then many years after watching it on home video I thought how did I ever like those movies.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 07:09:59 AM »
Not Avatar
You're right. That was shit the first time too. :neverusethis:
That's because even the first time you're watching it, it feels like you've seen it before. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 08:11:10 AM »
I don't feel this way about The Hangover, I still like it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 08:15:10 AM »

I still love the first Hangover movie. I actually hated the second one when I saw it in theaters, but I've watched it a few times on HBO and now I kind of like it. I've never bothered to watch the third one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 08:18:53 AM »

I still love the first Hangover movie. I actually hated the second one when I saw it in theaters, but I've watched it a few times on HBO and now I kind of like it. I've never bothered to watch the third one.
I like the second one a lot.

The third one is awful.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 12:22:58 AM »
Jurassic Park 3 and Freddy vs Jason, but with those it was the excitement factor keeping me from realizing how shitty they were.

Also, shit is a very bad word for some reason, so you better asterisk that shit.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 08:03:21 AM »
I dunno if I'd go as far as saying shit, but after a few watches, I went from loving Scott Pilgrim vs the World to being baffled that I enjoyed it very much at all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Good the First Time, Bad the Rest
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 09:26:21 AM »
How about reading the forum rules before you start a thread next time.  Specifically:

5.  Keep your language reasonable. Repeated and inappropriate usage of explicit language is forbidden. Violators will be warned before any serious action is taken. No racially offensive posts. No posts that are derogatory toward gender or sexual preference. No posts that use slang terms for any race, sexual preference, or religious background. Includes signatures.

7. Offensive language/profanity in thread titles is prohibited.

Consider this a warning.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 10:52:46 AM »
I dunno if I'd go as far as saying shit, but after a few watches, I went from loving Scott Pilgrim vs the World to being baffled that I enjoyed it very much at all.

Yeah, the jokes don't really transfer all that well from a comic book to a film. Not to mention I was a bit disappointed at how they 'neutered' Ramona's character, but I think they did what they could with condensing everything into a two-hour long movie.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 10:59:36 AM »
Les Miserables (the movie). At first I thought "whoa". I came home from the theater and my parents asked if I cried. I said no, and they said it's not good unless you cried. Each future viewing got worse.

My English are the braken.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 12:59:04 PM »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 01:27:51 PM »
Boondocks Saints

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 11:37:43 PM »
Les Miserables (the movie). At first I thought "whoa". I came home from the theater and my parents asked if I cried. I said no, and they said it's not good unless you cried. Each future viewing got worse.

I've never cried from a movie ever.

Although the death of Optimus Prime got me pretty close.  :'(

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 02:40:10 AM »
^^ That will segway into my pick

The first Transformers movie. Saw it in the theater with my buds. Thought it rocked. It had one of my favorite childhood characters on the big screen, had the kid from Even Stevens starring in it, and it showcased the first new Smashing Pumpkins tune in 8 years. Fuck yeah. Then afterwards, on my next few viewings, I realize how AWFUL that movie was. The sequels are even worse.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2015, 02:45:57 AM »

The first Transformers movie. Saw it in the theater with my buds. Thought it rocked. It had one of my favorite childhood characters on the big screen, had the kid from Even Stevens starring in it, and it showcased the first new Smashing Pumpkins tune in 8 years. Fuck yeah. Then afterwards, on my next few viewings, I realize how AWFUL that movie was. The sequels are even worse.

By "first" movie, I assume you mean Bayformers. Because I will hunt you down if you speak ill of the original 1986 Transformers movie (which is what I was talking about). :getoffmylawn:

I actually still think the first Bayformers movie holds up ok for what it is. The sequels didn't even hold up on first viewing at the cinema though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2015, 06:34:15 AM »
Took my brother to see that.  I was 18 and he was 12.  Bought him the DVD when it came out was it 5 years ago? 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2015, 06:40:35 AM »
Took my brother to see that.  I was 18 and he was 12.  Bought him the DVD when it came out was it 5 years ago? 

The original DVD release was over a decade ago (the one I have), although there was a re-release more recently that had the widescreen version.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2015, 06:46:27 AM »
Yes!  That's what I got him.  I knew you knew that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2015, 06:48:51 AM »
I know everything, as long as it involves robots and has no real world relevance. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 06:52:46 AM »

I find it hard to find a movie I like but it becomes bad with more viewing.  Now some real bad movies I love because they are so bad.  It's like, what was the director thinking?! :lol

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2015, 11:10:26 AM »

By "first" movie, I assume you mean Bayformers. Because I will hunt you down if you speak ill of the original 1986 Transformers movie (which is what I was talking about). :getoffmylawn:

Hahaha obviously! I like the animated movie  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2015, 11:15:13 AM »

I find it hard to find a movie I like but it becomes bad with more viewing.  Now some real bad movies I love because they are so bad.  It's like, what was the director thinking?! :lol

I hear you.  But there are definitely movies that I am glad I saw once, but have no desire to see a second time and could not easily sit through a second time.  Titanic and Avatar fit that description to a T.  Transformers would probably fit that as well.  Snakes on a Plane.  There are a few that were fine one time that I have no desire to repeat.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2015, 11:54:17 AM »
Oh for sure I agree with that.  For the most part if I'm turned off by a movie I won't see a sequel. Transformers did that to me as well.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2015, 09:47:14 PM »

I hear you.  But there are definitely movies that I am glad I saw once, but have no desire to see a second time and could not easily sit through a second time.  Titanic and Avatar fit that description to a T.  Transformers would probably fit that as well.  Snakes on a Plane.  There are a few that were fine one time that I have no desire to repeat.

A lot of the big movies are also just designed for the cinema experience. They're a joyride. Not my personal preference, but I get it.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2015, 11:20:23 PM »
I don't know about films I loved at first, but I now think are "bad" per se, but there are a lot of sci-fi/fantasy/superhero action films from the last decade or so that have not aged well for me. 

Avatar is the big one.  Loved it when I first saw it, even though the manipulative storytelling annoyed me even from the first viewing, but after I got it on BluRay, I watched it once, and then never again.  I don't hate it like a lot of people; it's a decent enough flick, it just didn't have as much replay value for me as I had hoped.

Watchmen is another.  I thought it was great when I first saw it, but over time, the pacing issues and Zak Snyder's obnoxious directing really got on my nerves.  Now I can't enjoy it at all aside from a few highlights (like the scenes with Rorschach in prison).

Most Marvel movies fall into this category for me as well.  Fun the first time, but not so great when revisited.  I used to defend some of these seriously flawed movies (like the first Wolverine in particular) because I didn't want to admit how bad they were, but after a while, I realized I was lying to myself.  A lot of these Marvel films are just barely passable schlock at best.  There are a few of them (Guardians of the Galaxy, the first Avengers, the last couple X-Men movies) that are genuinely good films, but most of them I could die happy without ever seeing again.

Also, I would like to add that I, too, thought the Hangover aged like crap.  I thought it was hilarious the first time I saw it (although I never thought it was "genius"; I remember thinking at the time that even Hot Tub Time Machine had a better written script, and still do), but nowadays it can barely manage to get me to crack a smile.  It's not bad exactly, just not really all that great.  The sequels, OTOH, I thought were crap from the beginning, and my opinions on those have remained the same ever since.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2015, 03:38:21 AM »
I've never cried from a movie ever.

Although the death of Optimus Prime got me pretty close.  :'(
I cried at the end of Terminator 2. There's something about these cyborgs... :)

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2015, 03:45:35 AM »

A lot of the big movies are also just designed for the cinema experience. They're a joyride. Not my personal preference, but I get it.

Throughs newer Star Trek movies in your face. :biggrin:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2015, 03:59:22 AM »

Throughs newer Star Trek movies in your face. :biggrin:

I expect a little better from a well developed scifi franchise of 50 years than a big dumb excuse for explosions. ;)