1 (1.2%)
Black Clouds and Silver Linings
1 (1.2%)
A Dramatic Turn of Events
2 (2.4%)
Dream Theater
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Best JLB Album  (Read 2472 times)

Offline genome

Best JLB Album
« on: June 15, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
I was listening to Six Degrees earlier today and had a funny thought, supposedly this was a time in the band when other members had a "chat" with James and expressed concerns over his vocals (and other things)... but I think his performance on that album was great, it fit the songs perfectly. I think it may be my favourite JLB vocal performance on a DT album.

What's yours?

Offline CharlesPL

Re: Best JLB Album
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 01:19:41 PM »
Haha We started survivor on Metropolis forum : Dance of Instrumentals.

1st best DT vocal album(WDADU busted for now) and now play-off FII vs ToT.

Vote on Images and Words, 2nd Awake :)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 01:34:27 PM »
I was listening to Six Degrees earlier today and had a funny thought, supposedly this was a time in the band when other members had a "chat" with James and expressed concerns over his vocals (and other things)... but I think his performance on that album was great, it fit the songs perfectly. I think it may be my favourite JLB vocal performance on a DT album.

What's yours?

I've had this exact same thought!  I'm going to hold off on voting until I've had a chance to think more but I think 6DOIT is one of his best performances.  Granted, his live performances were suffering a little bit at that time but in the studio he was still killing it. 

I think this had to do with the fact that he needed more training to get his voice suited for those 3 hour performances.  When he did that, you can tell he lost a little bit of power in his performance but he was far more consistent. 

I think live he was at his best around ADTOE because he got that power back with the consistency. 

As far as his studio performances I'll have to think but I am inclined right now to go with SDOIT

Offline krands85

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 01:56:27 PM »
Images and Words, no contest for me. I love what he does on that album so much. Even if DT could somehow create another album that was instrumentally on par with I&W, it would still be some way from matching it overall, since James understandably can't sing like that anymore.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 02:17:49 PM »
I voted for Images and Words but Awake is a close second.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »
I&W is an all time Top 3 Vocal Performances.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cable

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 02:38:32 PM »
I&W. Not the best collection of DT vocal melodies at all IMO, but certainly the one that utilizes JLB's abilities the best in DT.

ToT is second place for me, and probably SFaM 3rd.
---

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 02:59:41 PM »
I think JLB has sung better outside Dream Theater (with the exception of Awake and ACOS imo). Frameshift and Leonardo (even The Human Equation) have shown JLB's capabilities.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 04:03:59 PM »
I am not a fan of JLB's screams and high notes.

Octavarium is where I feel he did his very best when it comes to DT. But overall I prefer him on his solo albums or even Ayreon's "The Human Equation".

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 04:16:58 PM »
Awake, mostly because there's more rougher vocals on that one than I&W, it's way more dynamic. Both I&W and Awake are monumental vocal performances though.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 05:10:30 PM »
Awake is the only correct answer.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 07:01:55 PM »
Elements of Persuasion.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 07:11:13 PM »
Elements of Persuasion.

iseewhatyoudidthere
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 11:10:48 PM »
The Human Equation

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 11:38:08 PM »
Awake. Nothing comes close in terms of range, power, and emotion.

SDOIT is second, because of the versatility.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 11:01:31 AM »
Awake

I'll go out on a limb and say the last two are right behind. He's also great on Images and words, but there isn't as much diversity in his vocals as on some other albums. You can tell it was his first with the band.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 12:13:25 AM »
Awake.  I can't think of another album where the singer goes for so many vocal styles and so many different emotions and nails all of them.

His vocal chord injury is one of the great underrated musical tragedies.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 12:35:07 AM »
Awake

Images And Words for simple skill, probably. But on that album he's either belting or whispering with no in between. Awake wins for the many styles, atmospheres, and dynamics that he puts on his voice.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 01:56:07 AM »
Awake

Images And Words for simple skill, probably. But on that album he's either belting or whispering with no in between. Awake wins for the many styles, atmospheres, and dynamics that he puts on his voice.

I can't believe the number of votes Images and Words is getting for JLB's vocal performance. But hey, it must be the Images and Words effect.  :lol

I would treasure the next ten years. I think with his vocal style, JLB may have only three to five good albums left. I don't know how he can sustain his style by the time he hit 60.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 08:39:39 AM »
Awake

I can't believe the number of votes Images and Words is getting for JLB's vocal performance. But hey, it must be the Images and Words effect.  :lol

I would treasure the next ten years. I think with his vocal style, JLB may have only three to five good albums left. I don't know how he can sustain his style by the time he hit 60.

Right, because the vocals actually aren't any good on it . . .  ::)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 08:59:01 AM »
Awake

Right, because the vocals actually aren't any good on it . . .  ::)

I never said that. The vocals there are good but it is not the best in the discography because a lot of it is a display of range but there is not much variety.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 08:07:43 PM »
Images, without a doubt. Awake is amazing too, but it didn't blow my mind as much as I&W did. JLB was a great singer to me, but that album and Live in Tokyo made me start to see him as one of my idols and favorite singers.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 10:41:34 PM »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 10:44:45 PM »
I never said that. The vocals there are good but it is not the best in the discography because a lot of it is a display of range but there is not much variety.

DTF disagrees.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 01:04:33 AM »
I&W

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 01:07:42 AM »
I voted for Images and Words but Awake is a close second.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline SkiFiX

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 05:01:15 AM »
Obviously I&W and Awake. But i voted for a Dramatic turn of events because for me is the third rebirth of James' Voice.
So much touching vocals on that album. Breaking all illusions, Far from heaven (!!!), Beneath the surface, this is the life...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 08:00:31 AM »
Obviously I&W and Awake. But i voted for a Dramatic turn of events because for me is the third rebirth of James' Voice.
So much touching vocals on that album. Breaking all illusions, Far from heaven (!!!), Beneath the surface, this is the life...
Yeah, definitely in my top 3 aswell, maybe even above Awake on my list, but seeing the amount of votes on ADTOE I probably should've voted for ADTOE instead of IAW.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline emtee

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 08:11:39 AM »
As far as DT albums I'm in agreement with the majority. Awake is #1 and I&W is #2 but I actually think his best recorded vocal
performances are on his solo albums. That music is written more specific to his strengths.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 08:49:34 AM »
As far as technical skill, I&W and Awake come to mind so I went with I&W.

I really like his voice in ADTOE and Octavarium though. He stays in a comfortable range and the melodies are very strong.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 10:03:11 AM »
Impermanent Resonance ;D

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2015, 11:58:15 AM »
I'd say Winter Rose and Awake. Man, what a lung. But in terms of technical ability I'd say SDoIT and Octavarium. And Frameshift is just a hidden star.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2015, 08:20:07 PM »

DTF disagrees.

Well, yeah, Images and Words wins in any poll in this forum. It's the Images and Words effect.  :lol

Offline SkiFiX

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 03:08:21 AM »
And Frameshift is just a hidden star.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2015, 03:34:11 AM »
Awake would be second place for me