Author Topic: iamthemorning  (Read 7140 times)

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
iamthemorning
« on: June 13, 2015, 12:13:17 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3qhBRT7rGE

As promised, we're streaming the big chamber gig we are playing today. Both albums in full, new chamber arrangements and a lot of Russian speaking (sorry for that:). The streaming will take place at our official YouTube channel

Part 1 was AWESOME.  :hat
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:07:05 AM by ich bin besser »
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
Re: iamthemorning - live stream right NOW (part 2)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 02:27:47 PM »

Meine Musikliste

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 05:00:45 PM »
Managed to hear some songs before it ended. That was... beautiful :heart .

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 09:55:22 PM »
wow thanks..will watch later.

ironic how I'm streaming the Steven Wilson show from LA right now, and Marjana is such a huge fan of his. A stream on the same day as one of her favorites.

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: iamthemorning - live stream from a Russian gig
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 09:26:37 PM »
bump.

"Lighthouse" drops on April 1st.

Preorders:

Vinyl
https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/272/7246/
CD
https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/272/7247/

1. I Came Before the Water (pt. I) [1:41]
2. Too Many Years [5:09]
3. Clear Clearer [4:35]
4. Sleeping Pills [3:43]
5. Libretto Horror [2:13]
6. Lighthouse (feat. Mariusz Duda) [6:13]
7. Harmony [5:18]
8. Matches [4:18]
9. Belighted [3:26]
10. Chalk And Coal [4:56]
11. I Came Before the Water (pt. II) [2:56]
12. Post Scriptum [2:43]

Featuring guests Gavin Harrison, Colin Edwin and Mariusz Duda (Riverside, Luantic Soul) and engineered/mixed by Marcel Van Limbeek (Tori Amos), Lighthouse is the 2016 album from Russian Post-Progressive duo iamthemorning.

Rich and eclectic, Ligthouse possesses elements of Classical music, Canterbury Prog, northern Folk, Jazz and Ambient music.

Recorded across London, Moscow and St Petersburg, the core instrument of the band, the grand piano, was recorded in Mosfilm Studios Moscow, the largest and oldest studios in Russia. Founded in 1920, Mosfilm is renowned for recording orchestras for soundtracks for the most famous Soviet-era films, including works by Tarkovsky and Eisenstein.

Lighthouse chronicles the progression of mental illness. The album takes the listener through the stages of breakdown via a central character - her attempts to fight it, temporal remission leading to a final collapse and has been inspired by the works and lives of Virginia Woolf and Sylvia Plath.

The album artwork for Lighthouse was created by watercolour artist and long-term collaborator, Constantine Nagishkin.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 06:34:02 AM »
Saw Mariusz post about this on facebook this morning, and I'm definitely interested.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 08:16:03 AM »
Colour me hyped :caffeine:

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 08:36:28 AM »
The vinyl is a must-have for me.  :hat

Oh, and last autumn, I got to see iamthemorning live (supporting Gazpacho). It's kinda rare to have a singer that can immediately draw the attention of everyone in the audience. Marjana did just that. This band has a bright future if they do it right.

Meine Musikliste

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 08:59:30 AM »
Can we make it the band's thread?

New song from the upcoming album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsNDyoGE-2w
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 09:06:28 AM »
Can we make it the band's thread?

New song from the upcoming album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsNDyoGE-2w

Of course we can!!  :hat

Meine Musikliste

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: iamthemorning
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 10:05:58 AM »
New song sounds very promising  :o

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 11:03:06 AM »
So, today is one of the two Lighthouse release gigs in Russia. Here's my view from the first row, center.

This should be seriously awesome.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 11:25:50 AM »
It WILL be - have tons of fun!  :hat

Meine Musikliste

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 02:32:22 PM »
It was! A magical experience, really. Loved the whole show. Definitely catch them if they'll ever tour Europe.

Setlist (the order could be slightly wrong):

Inside
I.b.too
To Human Misery
Scotland
Os Lunatum
Romance
5/4
Weather Changing
K.O.S.
-Lighthouse full album premiere-
I Came Before the Water Pt I
Too Many Years
Clear Clearer
Sleeping Pills
Libretto Horror
Lighthouse
Harmony
Matches
Belighted
Chalk and Coal
I Came Before the Water Pt II
Post Scriptum

Amazing show. The new album really works well live (except perhaps for Clear Clearer - Sleeping Pills section), especially Too Many Years and Chalk and Coal. I was so immersed in the music those two hours just went by.

I usually don't take any photos at the shows since I think it's kind of disrespectful—especially if you're at front row in the theater— but I did take some with bad focus. Here are the best of them:

And I've also got a video of my favourite moment from the new album... here's Lighthouse ending without Mariusz Duda. Perhaps not as powerful as it's on the album, but I still had chills from this. Turn the HD on, otherwise the sound isn't so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCo2m_BSy0Y

I also got all three of their studio CDs in digipack versions from the merch stand so I am a happy person right now.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 08:44:22 AM »
Awesome - thanks for posting!  :tup

Meine Musikliste

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2016, 01:05:07 PM »
I'm intrigued by the name, the band style, their cover arts and a song I'm listening on YouTube (Chalk & Coal). Will check them out!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 08:44:53 AM »
The singer, Marjana, is also very active on Facebook.

Meine Musikliste

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 08:37:07 AM »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 02:51:53 PM »
Had a chat with Gleb and Marjana after the show in Moscow today. Here's what I learned:

- their new album will be out next year, they're not exactly sure which month or season it'll be out yet, but definitely next year;
- they had some heavy brainstorming and writing sessions for the new album last month, put it on hold for the two shows in Russia (they played in their hometown last week and Moscow today), and now the writing sessions will resume;
- Gleb wanted to play a solo show in Moscow as a presentation for his solo album (which they sold at merch stand today, I bought it and got it signed by Gleb :metal ) but had to postpone this idea because of the writing for IATM 4; he said he'll probably do it later, maybe in late autumn or winter;
- they already have some songs written and a lot of ideas for the other songs, they're playing some new songs live now - not sure how it is with the other shows, but today they played two new songs without any additional musicians, just Gleb on piano and Marjana on vocals;
- one of the new songs is called Six Feet and it's about a girl buried alive (I think?), this title is probably gonna make in on the album; the song is pretty dark with some Sleeping Pills-esque chorus (I think? Hard to tell from one listen tbh), I guess this is going to be even darker with the bass and whatever arrangements they'll make;
- the second song they played is called Ghost of a Story, this is a working title and Marjana said it will probably be changed before the release; I loved this one, thought it was way better than Six Feet;
- after the show Marjana said they're looking for a guest vocalist for one of the songs (I think for Six Feet, but I'm not sure, missed that part) to sing the second verse because it fits the song from a narrative standpoint; they're looking for a British male singer and they already have someone in mind;

Gleb is very happy with how his solo album turned out, I told him it was a great feat to actually get all the guest musicians on board and he agreed saying it was quite a quest. Also got complimented by Marjana on my Leprous shirt. :biggrin: All in all, great evening, small sitting venue (I was lucky to get a first row seat) and it was good to see some heavier songs played - they had bass, drums and electric guitar players in the lineup today.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 04:11:25 PM »
That's awesome, Evermind.

I would love to see a solo Gleb show. Checked out his album recently and was blown away, it's a really damn good album!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 06:50:14 AM »
I swear I've seen like three dozen iamthemorning threads here

Also, all that information has me HYPED for iamthe4ning. Especially the descriptions of the two new possible songs. What did Ghost of a Story sound like?

And yeah, his new solo album is close to the level of the 3 iamthemorning albums. Only thing that really drags it down for me is the Steve Hogarth guest spots. I just really do not like the sound of his voice :/

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2018, 07:09:29 AM »
I swear I've seen like three dozen iamthemorning threads here

Also, all that information has me HYPED for iamthe4ning. Especially the descriptions of the two new possible songs. What did Ghost of a Story sound like?

The things that stood out the most about Ghost of a Story were some beautiful piano passages and Marjana not doing high notes, so if I had to describe it now, think Oz Lunatum verses but with a slower pace. However, I was so immersed in the show I can't quite remember any melodies from the songs now. :P So I guess take my descriptions of new songs with a grain of salt.

I saw people around me filming some of the songs, so maybe you can find them on YouTube.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 08:12:18 AM »
In three months time I will see them live for the first time.... really looking forward to the Progressive Circus festival

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2019, 10:52:40 AM »
As much as I usually envy you American and European folks for all the great bands touring your countries, here's my view for iamthemorning gig coming up in a few minutes:

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2019, 12:06:05 PM »
Have fun!!!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2019, 01:56:33 PM »
Envious.... have a great concert. I'm sure it will be....

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2019, 02:46:32 PM »
It sure was! They were streaming the concert on Facebook, the whole video is there if you want to check it out. They played a bunch of new songs, four during the main set, and I think the one in the second encore was also new. The first one featured Marjana on acoustic guitar, the second I think was the one they called Ghost of a Story before, but with completely reworked lyrics and added sections (it was great), the third one was Six Feet (still not crazy about it) and the fourth one, well, was there. Don't remember much about it, but you can watch it on Facebook. :biggrin:

They had two additional people with them today, playing violin and cello. Once again I'm convinced that iamthemorning with strings is way better than iamthemorning with electric setting.

The show had two acts, the songs from the first two albums in the first act, intermission, then new songs and Lighthouse ones in the second act (ending with K.O.S. as usual), including Too Many Years. First encore was Matches, second encore was a new song. Marjana forgot to print a setlist and didn't know what song would come next. At one moment she started singing Sleeping Pills while Gleb started playing a new song. :lol I'm pretty sure it's also in the video.

I sat in the front row right next to the phone that was streaming the show (to the right). I considered photobombing it at one point too. :lol Also the whole "stage" didn't have a stage, the seats were at the same level with the band, and so the mic stand was about a meter from me. Also the venue had a good cider. Here's me, in my iamthemorning t-shirt, returning to my seat with the aforementioned cider:

:lol

Ninjabait, I didn't talk to Marjana this time, but I asked Gleb your question about sheet music, he said that would be difficult for iamthemorning as he doesn't have any notes for the material so that would take a lot of time to do it. He does, however, have notes for his solo album and he said he was toying with the idea of releasing them via bandcamp, but couldn't find the time with his current schedule. A few more people heard me asking that and also pitched in, encouraging him to do it, so he said he'll try to release it for his solo album, but made no promises about iamthemorning sheet music.

All in all, had a great time, will go see them again next time or will even take a train to St. Petersburg if they're playing there anytime soon. This band is just great.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2019, 04:59:42 AM »
Still envious of you getting to see iamthemorning live now......
Haven't had time to watch the recording yet but will do.

Marjana now takes questions for an upcoming IATM4 FAQ video from the people who support her on Patreon:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/26576889

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2019, 05:05:02 AM »
Watched the recording of the show yesterday. Had to ask Marjana on Patreon to open it up again as she had closed it.

What a beautiful concert...... would so have loved to see it even if I did not understand one word she was saying.

Really hope they tour with IATM4 and that they do a stop in Sweden. Would love a chamber version tour.....

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2019, 12:32:27 PM »
Ninjabait, I didn't talk to Marjana this time, but I asked Gleb your question about sheet music, he said that would be difficult for iamthemorning as he doesn't have any notes for the material so that would take a lot of time to do it. He does, however, have notes for his solo album and he said he was toying with the idea of releasing them via bandcamp, but couldn't find the time with his current schedule. A few more people heard me asking that and also pitched in, encouraging him to do it, so he said he'll try to release it for his solo album, but made no promises about iamthemorning sheet music.

His solo album is fantastic so I'd be very happy to get my mitts on some sheet music for that. I've pretty much consistently had trouble getting any sort of sheet music or tabs of Bandcamp and I'm a little bummed about the lack of iamthemorning sheet music tho. I'll be sure to grab that whenever it drops

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2019, 10:11:59 AM »
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1570102619789545&id=410719595727859

Our new album The Bell is out on Kscope on August 2nd.
Preorder: iamthemorning.lnk.to/TheBellFA
Soon on Bandcamp

1. Freak Show [07:09]
2. Sleeping Beauty [03:42]
3. Blue Sea [03:08]
4. Black And Blue [03:58]
5. Six Feet [03:56]
6. Ghost Of A Story [03:58]
7. Song Of Psyche [03:20]
8. Lilies[04:28]
9. Salute [07:27]
10. The Bell [05:04]

The Bell was inspired by 19th century song cycles, a genre established by Schubert, and themes from Victorian England art and culture. It is divided into two parts, but each song is a story in its own right, all of them are fuelled by human cruelty and pain caused by it. Cruelty and different ways that we cope with it and suffer from it is the central theme of the album. This album is multi-layered and is, in many ways, a journey inwards, taking us inside of a mind of a person suffering from abuse or neglect or open hostility of the society or a specific person.
And even though aesthetically the album is based on themes taken from Victorian England’s art and culture, it is mainly a way to look at ourselves and modern society and realise that at its core, humankind isn’t making much progress in terms of emotional maturity.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2019, 10:15:33 AM »
Hell yes! Love the artwork.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2019, 10:32:56 AM »
Yes..... it's fantastic. Have known this for quite some time and been dying to tell you.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2019, 10:45:37 AM »
Oh.... and their bandcamp will soon have very special editions with lots of "bells" and whistles....

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 10:48:51 AM »
I asked Marjana and Gleb a whlie ago about where should I buy/order their stuff so it would be the most profitable for them, and they said bandcamp, so that's where I'll be pre-ordering from for sure.