Author Topic: Want to own Portnoy's Awake/Change of Seasons era drum kit?  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Sycsa

Re: Want to own Portnoy's Awake/Change of Seasons era drum kit?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 12:18:42 PM »
Wow, I loved the sound of his Mapex kit. Given the quality, the size and the historical context of the kit, $7500 seems like a rather fair price, even if it comes without cymbals. It's also a fairly unique model, I remember MP complaining that, for a while at least, you couldn't buy this model, so he advertised it for no good reason. I wonder how much will it fetch.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:25:31 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »
A valuable and important piece in DT history :) I wish I had that kind of money.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 03:23:37 PM »
Inb4 financial speculation.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 06:45:01 PM »
*waits for his DT tape collection to go on sale*
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 11:46:08 PM »
Inb4 financial speculation.
Yeah, given what an avid collector he is, it does raise a few questions. Still, until he starts auctioning Skype drum lessons, I'm not gonna assume that he's in financial trouble.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 12:37:42 PM »
Of all his drum kits I think this may be my favorite.  In later years they got bigger and more asymmetrical which to me were less aesthetically pleasing.  I'm not a drummer so I'm sure there were more functional reasons for having his sets the way they were.  When I think about it, I think some of my favorite drumming is on this album too.  I'm not saying I like the album better than the others necessarily but MP's drumming is just perfect.  I especially like what he does on Caught in a Web. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 02:36:57 PM »
It's definitely one of the most iconic kits to part with.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 05:49:20 AM »
The second the purple monster goes on sale, that's the time ill get concerned.. and also get a bank loan...  :metal :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 07:20:11 AM »
I doubt MP is in financial trouble. He's got a big house, but it's not MTV Cribs big. He probably just ran out of room. Some of my favorite RC trucks sat in my work area for years before I finally decided to just let someone else enjoy them.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 09:27:47 AM »
I doubt MP is in financial trouble. He's got a big house, but it's not MTV Cribs big. He probably just ran out of room. Some of my favorite RC trucks sat in my work area for years before I finally decided to just let someone else enjoy them.

Yeah, and he has a whole storage unit filled with old drum sets. I'm guessing he just saw this as an opportunity to clear out some space and make a little dough.