Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Roulette II: Electric Boogaloo - IT'S OVER!  (Read 17172 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette II: Electric Boogaloo - FINAL ROUND
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2015, 09:01:03 PM »
oh yeah that chimp spanner album i got just last week, it's pretty cool stuff but i need more spins to digest it all

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2015, 09:20:41 PM »
Nice! Yeah the guitar tone might be a bit strange, but I guess it's because it's djent.

I mean, you sent two other djent songs this roulette and the guitar tones weren't weird in those. Djent tones usually sound great.
I think it's because it's panned right in the center, whereas in pretty much all other mixes the rhythm guitar is double-tracked and hard-panned to both the left and right speaker, which sounds a lot better.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2015, 09:41:10 PM »
Fair enough - I have to say David's tone is fantastic so the one on this song obviously pales in comparison :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2015, 02:55:46 AM »
Well, I've lost the lead, so I kind of still sucked.

Need to think about this last round entry for a bit.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2015, 06:11:37 AM »
Sent! I considered everything and went with power metal. :lol

Here are my rankings of the songs I sent in this roulette:

1. ???
2. David Gilmour - Where We Start
3. Pain of Salvation - Beyond the Pale
4. IQ - The Road of Bones
5. Beyond the Bridge - The Call
6. Phideaux - Micro Softdeathstar
7. Galahad - Empires Never Last
8. Need - Symmetrape

I really think I've sent the best song now. If I don't win, I blame it on Buddyhunter's tastes, because this song is awesome. Actually, scratch that, all songs from the list are awesome.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:21:37 AM by Evermind »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #180 on: August 02, 2015, 09:21:02 AM »
1st Place: Shadow Ninja 2.0
Celldweller - Birthright

I approve of this.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #181 on: August 02, 2015, 09:52:15 AM »
sent

my rankings

1: Igor Stravinsky - The Rite Of Spring: Sacrificial Dance
2: Beethoven - Symphony #5, Movement IV
3: Blue Man Group - Klein Mandelbrot
4: Duran Duran - Ordinary World
5: Radiohead - Optimistic
6: ???
7: Mad King Corduroy - Ice Fields
8: Haken - Darkest Light
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2015, 11:09:11 AM »
1: David Maxim Micic - Smile
2:  ???
3: Nine Inch Nails - Heresy
4: Destiny Potato - Love Song
5: Dead Can Dance - Children Of The Sun
6: Refused - New Noise
7: Chimp Spanner - Under One Sky
8: If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest

Except the last one, I'd rank all of these songs 8/10 upwards.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #183 on: August 02, 2015, 11:22:04 AM »
Well crap, I should stop sending in Evile, they never do any good. I'll decide what to send and then send  :tup
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2015, 08:37:44 AM »
My own reordering of tracks submitted (with Buddyhunter's rankings left)

6: Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
2: Foals - Spanish Sahara
 ??? ??? ???
1: Kauan - Aiden Laulu
3: Headspace - Invasion
5: Wayfarer - Children Of The Iron Age
7: Addaura - City Light
4: Native Construct - Mute

Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2015, 08:12:42 AM »
Sent, here's personal ranking

1. Destrage - My Green Neighbour
2. Nevermore - I, Voyager
3.  ???
4.  Foo Fighters - Still
5.  Alter Bridge - The Uninvited
6.  Frost* - Hyperventilate
7. Evile - In Dreams Of Terror
8. The Mars Volta - Son Et Lumiere / Inertiatic ESP

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2015, 03:07:21 PM »
ugh yet again

i have no idea what i sent

i should write this stuff down or something

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2015, 05:33:07 PM »
Still need something from Dr. DTVT.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2015, 08:14:21 PM »
Still haven't gotten a submission from Dr. DTVT (might be away or something), but the final results will be posted sometime this weekend regardless. I already know who's going to win, after all. ;)

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: August 11, 2015, 08:21:20 PM »
Me not of course.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette II: Electric Boogaloo - IT'S OVER!
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2015, 02:30:18 PM »
Alright guys, it's time for the final results. It's been a long road, but it's finally over. Remember, the points awarded for this round are higher than usual, so here's a little refresher in case anyone's confused with their final score:

1st place: 16 points
2nd place: 14.4 points
3rd place: 12.8 points
4th place: 11.2 points
5th place: 9.6 points
6th place: 7.9 points
7th place: 6.3 points
8th place: 4.7 points

And with that, here we go!

---FINAL ROUND RESULTS---

1st Place: Evermind
Avantasia - The Scarecrow

Well, you certainly saved the best for last. While power metal usually isn't my thing, I can enjoy it when it's done right, and this song didn't even make me think of power metal all that much. It's got some elements of it, for sure, but it leans more on the progressive side if you ask me. I was heavily reminded of Ayreon, and while Ayreon has never really done much for me, this song is fantastic. The main violin melody is great and very memorable, and the anthemic choruses are super powerful. At eleven minutes long, it has a very epic feel to it, and the flow and pacing of it is pretty much perfect. After going through a couple verses and choruses in the first half, the song goes into a quieter break around the middle with some really nice sounding bells and harp. It then builds up and breaks into a guitar solo, and the riff that plays behind the solo and into the following sections kicks some serious ass. Speaking of the section after the solo, that point onward is where the song really gets amazing. I love how it gradually gets faster and more energetic as it builds up to the final chorus, and when it finally hits, it's even more powerful than the first two. I don't really have any complaints about this song; it's pretty much everything I could ask for in a 10+ minute prog metal song. I highly doubt the rest of the album is as good as this, but I might have to check it out at some point anyway.

2nd Place: Sacul
Infected Mushroom - Becoming Insane

This song was probably the biggest grower of the entire roulette. The first time I heard it I thought to myself that there's no way this could do that well, and it ended up reaching second place in the end. :lol I was initially put off by the pretty basic trance beat, but this song does a great job with gradually layering instruments on top of each other to build up energy, and the more busy, full-sounding sections are fantastic. The song's weirdness definitely works well, and it has a good use of effects and some interesting instrument choices. It also has a really great climax; the electric guitar that sounds like it's sampled from Michael Jackson's Beat It works really well, though it made me laugh a bit the first time I heard it. Overall, this song was a really pleasant surprise for me. It's got a ton of energy to it and is just incredibly fun to listen to, so it definitely gets a thumbs up from me.

3rd Place: senecadawg2
Sufjan Stevens - Fourth Of July

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum from Becoming Insane, this song is incredibly depressing. It has a very soft, beautiful atmosphere, and personal, sad lyrics about the death of the artist's mother. It's all very emotional and heart-wrenching. The instrumentation is very basic; while it's got some good ambiance, it's largely minimalistic and never really changes much throughout the song, which is probably the reason why this song never really fully clicked with me. I'm just not really a fan of minimalistic music, and while the emotion of the song is powerful, it's not quite enough to carry the whole track for me. This is something that I'd have to be in the right mood to really enjoy, which isn't the case for other sad, emotional songs I can think of.

4th Place: Scorpion
Noneuclid - The Black Plague Of The Soul

You've sent a lot of really dark metal this roulette, and this song certainly fits into that category. The slow, doomy tempo, the dark, murky atmosphere, and the sludgy riffs all come together to create a pretty brutal sound. The vocalist feels pretty out of place though; I would have expected some low, guttural growls as opposed to the higher, more clean-sounding vocals. My main problem with the song, though, is that I find it a bit boring. While the sound is great, it never really changes, and there aren't any really memorable moments or sections in the track to grab my interest. As such, it becomes pretty monotonous after a while, especially in the second half of the song. I like certain elements of it, but overall it could have been a lot better.

5th Place: mikemangioy
Genesis - Dancing With The Moonlit Knight

Despite all the influence they've had on more recent bands I really enjoy, I've never really been able to get into classic 70s progressive rock bands, except for Pink Floyd. Genesis, along with other bands like Yes, would be a prime example of that. While I didn't think this song was fantastic, I did enjoy it a bit more than I thought I would. It takes a little while to get going, with the first couple minutes merely being okay, but when things really kick into gear two and a half minutes in, things get really energetic, almost heavy even. The fast drums and guitars and an aggressive string melody create a sound that I quite enjoyed, and the song's instrumental segments would definitely be the highlights for me. Other than that, the parts with vocals were okay, and the quiet, cinematic-sounding ending is pretty nice. Pretty good overall, but still not really my thing.

6th Place: Lucien
Ulver - Darling, Didn't We Kill You?

I actually got two Ulver submissions this roulette, but the first one I had already heard, so this one's the only one that actually got approved. This song is apparently taken from an EP consisting of outtakes from Perdition City, an album I quite enjoy (at least parts of it). Stylistically, this song has a similar vibe to that album, except darker and more ambient. If there's one thing Ulver has proven itself to be fantastic with, it's atmosphere, and this song is no exception. It's incredibly dark and creepy, with haunting melodies and dissonant, glitchy noises and soundscapes. It certainly conjures up some vivid mental surroundings. Composition-wise, though, it's very repetitive. It's pretty much split into two different parts, each with its own melody that repeats ad infinitum, sometimes introducing a new effect or texture here and there. The first half is definitely the stronger of the two, as the second half with the drum beat is less atmospheric and the repetition feels a bit more monotonous. Overall, I liked this song, definitely more than a few songs from Perdition City, and the atmosphere is superb, but with its length and repetition, I can't see myself returning to it all that often.

7th Place: Dr. DTVT
Therion - The Rise Of Sodom And Gomorrah

Straight-up symphonic metal is something I've only been able to get into on a few occasions, and this song didn't do all that much for me, unfortunately. The focus is clearly on the strings and the choir, and everything else is largely just there to compliment them. The guitars, in particular, just chug along for the whole song and never really do anything interesting. Some of the string and vocal melodies are quite memorable, but at the same time they aren't that interesting, either. Lastly, the song structure doesn't really go anywhere, mostly just progressing through the same order of sections twice before ending. Sorry, but I couldn't find much to like about this one.

8th Place: Shadow Ninja 2.0
Steam Powered Giraffe - Automatonic Electronic Harmonics

I really don't have much to say about this one other than it just wasn't my thing at all. It's certainly got a unique sound to it, mixing old western-sounding country with barbershop quartet-esque vocals, with a few more modern instruments thrown in here and there. It's interesting, the vocal harmonies are well done, and some of the melodies are memorable, but there's just nothing that lines up with my musical tastes at all. Oh well.

Alright, now that the final round is done with, it's time for...

---THE FINAL RESULTS---

---8th Place---
Lucien - 44.9 Points

1: Blue Man Group - Klein Mandelbrot
2: Haken - Darkest Light
3: Duran Duran - Ordinary World
4: Ulver - Darling, Didn't We Kill You?
5: Radiohead - Optimistic
6: Igor Stravinski - The Rite Of Spring: Sacrificial Dance
7: Beethoven - Symphony #5, Movement IV
8: Mad King Corduroy - Ice Fields

---7th Place---
Dr. DTVT - 48.3 Points

1: Amorphis - Silent Waters
2: Enslaved - Clouds
3: Orphaned Land - The Birth Of The Three
4: Evergrey - The Aftermath
5: Ice Age - Perpetual Child
6: Therion - The Rise Of Sodom And Gomorrah
7: Dan Swano - Patchworks
8: Sigh - Graveward

---6th Place---
mikemangioy - 52.6 Points

1: Nevermore - I, Voyager
2: Alter Bridge - The Uninvited
3: Destrage - My Green Neighbor
4: The Mars Volta - Son Et Lumiere / Intertiatic E.S.P.
5: Frost* - Hyperventilate
6: Foo Fighters - Still
7: Genesis - Dancing With The Moonlit Knight
8: Evile - In Dreams Of Terror

---5th Place---
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 54.7 Points

1: Beach House - Myth
2: Celldweller - Birthright
3: Polkadot Cadaver - Last Call In Jonestown
4: Second Person - Spilt Milk
5: Mirrorthrone - So Frail
6: The Dillinger Escape Plan - Prancer
7: Justin Cross - Drink The Water
8: Steam Powered Giraffe - Automatonic Electronic Harmonics

---4th Place---
Sacul - 56.4 Points

1: David Maxim Micic - Smile
2: Infected Mushroom - Becoming Insane
3: Destiny Potato - Love Song
4: Chimp Spanner - Under One Sky
5: Nine Inch Nails - Heresy
6: Refused - New Noise
7: If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest
8: Dead Can Dance - Children Of The Sun

---3rd Place---
senecadawg2 - 59.8 Points

1: Kauan - Aiden Laulu
2: Foals - Spanish Sahara
3: Headspace - Invasion
4: Sufjan Stevens - Fourth Of July
5: Native Construct - Mute
6: Wayfarer - Children Of The Iron Age
7: Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
8: Addaura - City Light

---2nd Place---
Scorpion: 63.2 Points

1: Alkaloid - Cthulhu
2: MONO - Surrender
3: SikTh - Tupelo
4: Kalmah - Rust Never Sleeps
5: The Oracle - The Sorcerer
6: Noneuclid - The Black Plague Of The Soul
7: Persefone - Kusanagi
8: Portishead - Glory Box

And the winner is...

---1st Place---
Evermind - 67 Points

1: Avantasia - The Scarecrow
2: IQ - The Road Of Bones
3: Phideaux - Micro Softdeathstar
4: David Gilmour - Where We Start
5: Pain Of Salvation - Beyond The Pale
6: Beyond The Bridge - The Call
7: Galahad - Empires Never Last
8: Need - Symmetrape

Believe me, I'm just as surprised as you are that you ended up winning this. :lol Our tastes may be a bit different, but you sent some fantastic stuff this roulette. In fact, while I'm not too huge on your bottom three submissions, everything above that was great, and you never sent a flat-out bad song the whole roulette. You were very consistent, and also a bit lucky that your worst songs still never quite ended up ranking at the bottom. :lol Thank you for participating, it's been a blast.

That goes out to all the other contestants, too! Thank you for making this roulette as fun and rewarding as possible. While I may have ripped your submissions a new one on a few occasions, I greatly appreciate each and every one of you for participating, and I've already discovered a few new artists that I'll certainly explore more of in the future. I hope you all had a good time, and take it easy out there. :)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2015, 03:09:14 PM »
Wow. :lol Told you guys I was sending the best song.

I mean, I knew I rank this Avantasia song really high, but I didn't expect you will appreciate it so much. Not that I'm complaining - this song is awesome and definitely my favourite from the band. And it secured me the win here, so I guess I love it a little more now.

Anyway, thank you for running this. I didn't expect to score well in this one at all (I thought I had no chance after the second round), but somehow I grabbed my second win in the roulettes. Consistency for the win, I guess.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: August 16, 2015, 03:58:32 PM »
Damn, Ev, you're on fire.

Yeah, I didn't expect you to like Becoming Insane too :lol

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #193 on: August 17, 2015, 01:11:58 AM »
Kinda disappointed since I was leading this at one point
Oh well, doesn't matter in the end! I had fun  :metal