Author Topic: Help me make an important decision?  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Help me make an important decision?
« on: August 05, 2020, 05:20:00 PM »
Ok, Without giving out my whole life story, I have finally decided and figured out what exactly I should be doing with my life. That realization is Music Business, and learning all about Promotion, Booking, and one day owning my own venue with a big enough stage size to fit video screens, that's not an arena or pavilion size.

I am asking for help, if anyone knows what Schools are good for Music Business, besides Berklee (as if I have a chance of getting in  :lol)?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Help me make an important decision?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 05:42:56 PM »
I don't think I can help you suggest a school, but I can say that I actually took an industry studies course in college (which was probably 5 years ago) and they told us to do a research paper on an industry (mainly emphasizing on the environmental effects of it).  My industry of choice was on Concert and Touring Promotion and I remember I borrowed a book at the school library that has all kinds of information about it and I think it may provide some insight about the industry.  Granted, it's a pretty old book now (released in 2007), but it should still be useful. It's called "This Business of Concert Promotion and Touring: A Practical Guide to Creating, Selling, Organizing, and Staging Concerts," by Ray D Waddell, Rich Barnet, and Jake Berry.  I think that's the book I borrowed.

Anywho, good luck on your endeavor especially in these unpredictable times especially when it comes to concerts. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 05:46:37 PM »
Honestly? I’d wait a year.

This business, especially the live side, may look very VERY different in a year.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 07:34:54 PM »

This business, especially the live side, may look very VERY different in a year.

I know, it's just at the earliest. But it would in reality, be a year till I will go as I want to actually go to the school. If all else, I can settle for online.

I don't think I can help you suggest a school, but I can say that I actually took an industry studies course in college (which was probably 5 years ago) and they told us to do a research paper on an industry (mainly emphasizing on the environmental effects of it).  My industry of choice was on Concert and Touring Promotion and I remember I borrowed a book at the school library that has all kinds of information about it and I think it may provide some insight about the industry.  Granted, it's a pretty old book now (released in 2007), but it should still be useful. It's called "This Business of Concert Promotion and Touring: A Practical Guide to Creating, Selling, Organizing, and Staging Concerts," by Ray D Waddell, Rich Barnet, and Jake Berry.  I think that's the book I borrowed.

Anywho, good luck on your endeavor especially in these unpredictable times especially when it comes to concerts. 

Thanks, I'll still check it out anyways, as any books relating to it would definitely still help.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 07:37:17 PM »

I know, it's just at the earliest. But it would in reality, be a year till I will go as I want to actually go to the school. If all else, I can settle for online.

Perhaps you could find a cheap introductory online course that you could take during this down time before jumping into it with two feet.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 07:44:41 PM »
I actually found this, and am thinking of doing this for now.

http://www.artistmanagementonline.com/online-class/learn-artist-management/

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 09:53:59 PM »
Ok, Without giving out my whole life story, I have finally decided and figured out what exactly I should be doing with my life. That realization is Music Business, and learning all about Promotion, Booking, and one day owning my own venue with a big enough stage size to fit video screens, that's not an arena or pavilion size.

I am asking for help, if anyone knows what Schools are good for Music Business, besides Berklee (as if I have a chance of getting in  :lol)?

Seems like a business I wouldn't be confident in delving into at the moment due to the current situation, but good luck to you.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 07:50:12 AM »
I know a guy who started up his booking business and would book older musicians that may or may not have been with their own bands and were just doing solo shows. A few examples are Rik Emmett (formerly of Triumph), Gregg Rolie (Journey) and Randy Jackson (Zebra). He would seek out venues dedicated to small musical acts and not your typical bar. These acts would have a contract rider where you pay half of their fee up front and would have to pick them up at the airport, take them to dinner - basically what ever the rider required. Then he would be responsible for assigning the seating and everything else you could think of at the venue and it took A LOT of effort to pull it off.

As the years went on he got better and bigger and was booking more diverse acts. During this time of the COVID, maybe you could look up acts to book and review their rider if they have one and then you can piece together the logistics. You can do the same with the venue and find out was is required from that piece of the equation.

Conceptually, it's not really difficult but like I said, it's a shit ton of work.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 08:00:15 AM »
I think there was a thread here before about your dream job if all things were equal sort of thing, and I said I'd love to own a venue and be a promoter.  I think that sounds like such a cool experience to be booking and hosting shows a few nights a week.  However, the reason why I don't even consider looking to do that is because from all I've heard/read is that it's a VERY exhausting job and you get very little in return.  It's a cut throat business.  I don't personally think it's the best way to live at the end of the day, and therefore I rather just be a fan than get involved in the business.  If you want to do that, awesome though.  I don't have much advice to offer, but these times make it very tricky to know if things will even go back to the way they were.  However, you do see drive in concerts popping up now so clearly venue/promoters are still working things out.  However, here's the reality of the business right now: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/live-nation-second-quarter-revenue-down-98-due-to-pandemic-shutdowns/ 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 10:53:24 AM »
I saw Vivian Campbell and Last In Line at a little place in Agawam, MA, and my friend Jim and I were early and had a couple beers and started talking to this guy... who happened to be the owner of the place.  He was a nice enough guy, but he very much seemed in over his head.   

Bear in mind, that if you want to be a promoter, you don't necessarily have to own the building/venue.   And if you own the building you don't necessarily have to be a promoter.   You have to decide where you want to draw the lines.  Bill Graham is (was) famous for having his venues - the Fillmore West, Winterland - but he promoted shows all over the Bay Area (actually, all over the U.S.).    A big promoter in my area - Jim Koplik - had no affiliation (that I know of) until the Oakdale Theater (a place Dream Theater has played on every tour since 2000, except for the 2004 tour with Yes). 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 10:53:36 AM »
I think there was a thread here before about your dream job if all things were equal sort of thing, and I said I'd love to own a venue and be a promoter.  I think that sounds like such a cool experience to be booking and hosting shows a few nights a week.  However, the reason why I don't even consider looking to do that is because from all I've heard/read is that it's a VERY exhausting job and you get very little in return.  It's a cut throat business.  I don't personally think it's the best way to live at the end of the day, and therefore I rather just be a fan than get involved in the business.  If you want to do that, awesome though.  I don't have much advice to offer, but these times make it very tricky to know if things will even go back to the way they were.  However, you do see drive in concerts popping up now so clearly venue/promoters are still working things out.  However, here's the reality of the business right now: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/live-nation-second-quarter-revenue-down-98-due-to-pandemic-shutdowns/

Haha, yeah that's my "In My Dreams, and Imagination" goal.

But I wouldn't mind settling in just being a promoter, or booking agent. Something that can help my people get more out there in terms of music.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 10:55:08 AM »
I really think it's a bad idea to go into this at this point, even a year from now. But, if it's really what you wanna do, and you're ready to deal with the cutthroat industry and all the headaches that go with it, go for it. I think the world will need new entertainment venues in the future, but the reasons for such openings might also make it very hard to get one going. Best of luck bud.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 10:59:44 AM »
I really think it's a bad idea to go into this at this point, even a year from now. But, if it's really what you wanna do, and you're ready to deal with the cutthroat industry and all the headaches that go with it, go for it. I think the world will need new entertainment venues in the future, but the reasons for such openings might also make it very hard to get one going. Best of luck bud.

The Local thing, is my realistic goal. Doesn't help to understand it all either. It can help me make my own way with my own music, ya know.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 11:05:32 AM »

Read this.  Even the great Bill Graham fucked over the guy that gave him his start (Chet Helms).