Author Topic: The Riches  (Read 922 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
The Riches
« on: June 09, 2015, 07:20:08 AM »
Has anyone heard of/watched this show? I'm through the first six episode now and I am loving it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0496343/

Wayne and Dahlia Malloy spent their youth pulling cons with a traveling band of modern Irish travelers roaming about the US. Now years later, Wayne hits a spiritual and midlife crisis and begins to question their lifestyle just as his wife, newly sprung from prison, rejoins the family. They decide to finally settle down in suburbia where they battle to live a normal life while trying to escape their former friends.

I feel like that description does a pretty shit-tastic job of describing the show. It pretty much leaves the main element of the story out of the description. What happens is the father (Eddie Izzard) steals the family fortune, steals a mansion from a dead guy, gets SS cards made for his family, and is now trying to acclimate everyone to a very wealthy neighborhood. The kids go to school for the first time and the family's plan to stay under the radar starts quickly coming apart.

I suggest watching at least the first episode.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Riches
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 07:25:03 AM »
Never heard of it.

Are you watching old shows that got canceled at random, or are you a completist fan of one of the actors involved.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 07:29:55 AM »
Never heard of it.

Are you watching old shows that got canceled at random, or are you a completist fan of one of the actors involved.

These last two with Izzard have been my grilfriend's choices. We have two shows to watch at all times. She picks one and I pick one, and then we alternate what show gets watched which night. I'm a huge fan of Eddie Izzard's standup stuff, but I had no clue he acted as well. I thought he just did little cameo appearances like when he played Mr. Kite in Across the Universe. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:17:49 AM by Chino »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 08:06:03 AM »
Cool.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 08:32:53 AM »
God, I love Eddie Izzard

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 03:23:53 AM »
I watched this show recently, season one was at my local library on DVD and although I didn't think I would last the whole season, I loved it....Eddie I. made the show.
Will have to see if they made a second season now....  :smiley:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 10:25:53 AM »
Izzard used to be a great comedian.

But the man just can not act.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 10:53:16 AM »
Why is he no longer a great comedian?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 11:02:05 AM »
For my money - his quality dropped off significantly from "Circle" onwards. His most recent " Force Majeure " was painfully unfunny. And really awkwardly desperate for laughs.

From Circle onwards - whenever anything got a big laugh - he'd repeat it ad nauseam.

but Unrepeatable - Definite Article, Glorious and Dress To Kill are all brilliant.