Author Topic: Forecast the Next Big Movie Trend  (Read 3675 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Forecast the Next Big Movie Trend
« on: June 04, 2015, 01:35:03 PM »
From Vampires, Werewolves and Zombies to now the 'Comic Book' movies.....what do you think the next big Trend in movies will be once the Comic Book era comes to an end?

I'm going with either Si Fi (along the lines of distant human future...either here on earth or exploration) or the wheel circles back around and it's stuff like Westerns/Colonial times.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

Re: Forecast the Next Big Movie Trend
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 01:36:59 PM »
Whichever one makes the most money. ;-)
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 02:27:26 PM »
Currently it's "adapt every young adult novel ever no matter if it sucks or not" and "remake every old movie no matter if it sucks or not and no matter if anyone asked for it or not" but after that, who knows. What's left?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 02:34:16 PM »
What's left?

Good question.....are there any genuine ideas left out there for a story/movie? Have all the basic concepts been covered throughout the years? Maybe it's more now just groundbreaking ways to tell the story on screen ala when MATRIX came out or AVATAR

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 02:49:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure interesting movies are still being made, they're just not going to be billion-dollar blockbusters.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 02:49:50 PM »
Videogame movies. Starting with Warcraft and Assassins Creed.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 06:27:38 PM »
Well Disney is doing this trend of remaking their classic animated movies into live action movies. We've had Alice In Wonderland, Maleficent, and Cinderella. We're about to get Beauty and the Beast, The Jungle Book, Mulan, Dumbo, and now they are looking at adapting the Night On Bald Mountain sequence from "Fantasia"

I'm with Zantera on the video game movies. If Warcraft and Assassins Creed do very well, we're going to see an influx on video game related movies. I forsee a Halo, Uncharted, and Zelda movies being worked on the next 5 years.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 07:11:18 PM »
Well Disney is doing this trend of remaking their classic animated movies into live action movies. We've had Alice In Wonderland, Maleficent, and Cinderella. We're about to get Beauty and the Beast, The Jungle Book, Mulan, Dumbo, and now they are looking at adapting the Night On Bald Mountain sequence from "Fantasia"

I'm with Zantera on the video game movies. If Warcraft and Assassins Creed do very well, we're going to see an influx on video game related movies. I forsee a Halo, Uncharted, and Zelda movies being worked on the next 5 years.

I'd be down for Zelda! That'd be a cool movie!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 10:47:25 PM »
Currently it's "adapt every young adult novel ever no matter if it sucks or not" and "remake every old movie no matter if it sucks or not and no matter if anyone asked for it or not" but after that, who knows. What's left?

They'll also keep churning out superhero movies for the next century, but they'll continue working their way down to the Z-grade characters not even the comic book geeks have heard of yet, like Siamese Dog Cat Boy, and Amateur Card Trick Man.

I'm hoping for a trend of blockbuster movies that are internally consistent upon first viewing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 08:10:51 AM »
Videogame movies. Starting with Warcraft and Assassins Creed.

Yeah probably this.  That pixels movie will be the cultural barometer. If it tanks - then maybe not but if it's a massive hit then we'll be inundated.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to make a GOOD Super Mario Bros. Or even a Legend of Zelda movie.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 08:24:08 AM »
I think it would be another HUGE mistake to make a movie out of something like Mario Brothers. There is simply no story there to adapt.

The gimmick of Pixels aside (which seems to be the only effective way to make a film based on older video games), future videogame films need to be adapted from more modern/current games (a la Warcraft, Assasin's Creed, Halo, etc) that have an inherent narrative element with world-building already done, i.e. games that already have a story.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 08:43:33 AM »
I think it would be another HUGE mistake to make a movie out of something like Mario Brothers. There is simply no story there to adapt.

The gimmick of Pixels aside (which seems to be the only effective way to make a film based on older video games), future videogame films need to be adapted from more modern/current games (a la Warcraft, Assasin's Creed, Halo, etc) that have an inherent narrative element with world-building already done, i.e. games that already have a story.

I agree. The big video games these days have plenty of material to work with to make a movie, but Mario still isn't one of them. Zelda could make a great movie, but Mario has always been in a style of game that is light on story (which is fine in the video game world), and requires too much extrapolation to create a story from, which won't please the existing fanbase. There are a ton of elements, but nothing in terms of narrative beyond "save the princess".

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 08:59:25 AM »
I really can't imagine a Zelda movie being anything but horrible. Link doesn't even have any personality. Actually, are there any characters in a Zelda game that do?

Except Midna, obviously. Midna was awesome.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 09:05:17 AM »
I really can't imagine a Zelda movie being anything but horrible. Link doesn't even have any personality. Actually, are there any characters in a Zelda game that do?

Except Midna, obviously. Midna was awesome.

Link intentionally doesn't have a whole lot of personality, and the characters are light, but there's a lot of story to work with. I don't think it would be too hard to flesh out a lot of those characters based on their roles in the story. I think it would be a tough one to pull off, but it could be potentially great if they knew what they were doing.

And Midna was awesome.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 09:09:16 AM »
I think you are going to see a huge shift at some point to movies skipping the cinema phase and going straight to streaming services.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 09:38:14 AM »
I think you are going to see a huge shift at some point to movies skipping the cinema phase and going straight to streaming services.

It will be a loooooong time if ever you see that for the big blockbusters. I don't see that there's enough money in it, not to mention that the cinema isn't an experience most people get in their homes. For smaller movies though, sure.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 09:51:48 AM »

It will be a loooooong time if ever you see that for the big blockbusters. I don't see that there's enough money in it, not to mention that the cinema isn't an experience most people get in their homes. For smaller movies though, sure.

Well, that's kind of what I was thinking when I wrote that. It takes a lot to get me into a movie theater these days. Unless the theater can offer me an experience my 60" (which is 3D mind you) and sound system can't, I have no problem waiting until they are available at home. Movie attendance is at the lowest point it's been in two decades. Whatever the reasons, people aren't going to theaters as much as they used to.

I don't forsee big blockbusters taking that route, but I think it wouldn't be a terrible avenue for smaller projects. Not to mention, if you're just going to be throwing your movie up on Netflix or HBO, the marketing budget could probably be cut by at least 50%.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 10:03:22 AM »

Well, that's kind of what I was thinking when I wrote that. It takes a lot to get me into a movie theater these days. Unless the theater can offer me an experience my 60" (which is 3D mind you) and sound system can't, I have no problem waiting until they are available at home. Movie attendance is at the lowest point it's been in two decades. Whatever the reasons, people aren't going to theaters as much as they used to.

I don't forsee big blockbusters taking that route, but I think it wouldn't be a terrible avenue for smaller projects. Not to mention, if you're just going to be throwing your movie up on Netflix or HBO, the marketing budget could probably be cut by at least 50%.

In that case, I pretty much agree with all of this. It takes a lot to get me to the theater these days (usually one or two movies a year at most), so I'd probably be more inclined to check out a movie this way anyway.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 10:06:28 AM »

In that case, I pretty much agree with all of this. It takes a lot to get me to the theater these days (usually one or two movies a year at most), so I'd probably be more inclined to check out a movie this way anyway.

Since the re-release of Avatar in August 2010, the only movies I've seen in a theater have been;

Life of Pie
Hugo
The Interview
Titanic in 3D
Jurassic Park in 3D
Godzilla
Tron Legacy 3D

... I think that's it.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »
I think there's several videogames that could potentially be cool movies, Half-Life, Portal, Zelda or The Last of Us (which seems to be in the works) among others. Super Mario while being one of the biggest franchises of all time, is something I honestly can't see them make a serious movie out of. The concept and idea is kinda childish, they would probably have to make it a kids movie if they were ever to make one. You can't make a dark/mature take on Mario, it's a plumber who fights mushrooms while saving a princess. It's one of those concepts that works in a game, but would be really hard to sell in a movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 01:39:45 PM »
The excitement and experience of a cinema will never be replaced by home cinema.

It's not just the big screen and sound system - it's the whole "evening out" event.

Watching a movie on a massive screen and huge sound with your drink and sweets/food in a big room full of people.

I love going to the cinema and as i've said before - if I enjoy the overall experience then bad writing or plot holes don't bother me.

At least not til a long time later when i've seen the film at home a few times. :)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 05:28:23 PM »
I'm betting the next movie trend is not arriving anytime soon since I think we're gonna be stuck with fuckin superhero movies for at least another 5 years.
I enjoyed the superhero movie trend from early to mid 00's then it seemed over and I was content with that then there was Nolan's Batman trilogy and I enjoyed that as well then the second wave of superhero movie trend arrived with Ironman and the Marvel bull shit that ensued and for the life of me I couldn't develop any interest in that, I dunno why, maybe cause the concept of "team" superhero makes me view their world transitioning into kids entertainment, but it can't be just that.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 05:30:49 PM »
maybe cause the concept of "team" superhero makes me view their world transitioning into kids entertainment

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 10:25:23 PM »
They're doing "team" superhero movies because they've basically worn out every half decent character individually.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 07:14:24 AM »
The excitement and experience of a cinema will never be replaced by home cinema.

It's not just the big screen and sound system - it's the whole "evening out" event.

Watching a movie on a massive screen and huge sound with your drink and sweets/food in a big room full of people.

Idk... Having a 60" 3D set, a stereo that'd break windows , a bar/bong, a kitchen, no previews, a pause button, and a couch at home makes the living room way more appealing, at least for me. Going out to the movies has actually beome a hassle.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2015, 07:23:47 AM »
Now this is interesting.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/08/brad-pitt-netflix-war-machine_n_7536412.html

With a radical new approach, Pitt's character is determined to win the war with the help of his "motley staff." Netflix plans to release "War Machine" in theaters and exclusively to its streaming members in 2016.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2015, 07:25:53 AM »
They're doing "team" superhero movies because they've basically worn out every half decent character individually.
No they aren't.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2015, 07:37:14 AM »

Idk... Having a 60" 3D set, a stereo that'd break windows , a bar/bong, a kitchen, no previews, a pause button, and a couch at home makes the living room way more appealing, at least for me. Going out to the movies has actually beome a hassle.

I love seeing a movie at home, but nothing beats the cinema IMO. Sure, some people are annoying and it can be frustrating, luckily I've only encountered that a few times, so I think it depends on where you live, what time you go, and so on. Personally, I love pre-views. At least new trailers for movies. I'd feel disappointed if I missed them, and I always make sure to be there 20-25 minutes before the movie starts. The annoying part is that over here (not sure how it is in the states) they have also started showing regular commercials as well. So you get maybe 10 minutes of trailers and 20 minutes of regular commercials, and those are annoying. Sometimes the commercials are really bizarre in context as well, like commercials showing real life pain and misery with people missing limbs, and they want you to donate money to some fund. I just want to go see a movie and have fun, not feel bad.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2015, 07:52:10 AM »
The commercials really piss me off.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2015, 07:54:28 AM »

I love going to the cinema and as i've said before - if I enjoy the overall experience then bad writing or plot holes don't bother me.

At least not til a long time later when i've seen the film at home a few times. :)

I think there's something to be said for both experiences. I like Brian's point of being at home...comfortable...creating your own environment but at the same time like Kotowboy says, the movie going 'experience' is really quite something. The handful of times I've taken the kiddos to the movies you can still see it in their eyes how captivating it is and what an experience it is for them. And I still greatly enjoy seeing a movie on the big screen....full surround sound at it's largest and loudest.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015, 08:05:40 AM »
Yeah, there's nothing like seeing a big movie in a theater full of people just as excited to see it as you are, with popcorn, sodas, everything.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2015, 08:05:43 AM »
I haven't been to the cinema since 2008. Home Theater all the way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2015, 08:06:40 AM »
I prefer the home theater route myself, just more comfortable and cheaper, but going to the movies is still a fun experience when you go with someone or a group of people.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2015, 08:15:12 AM »
when you go with someone or a group of people.

99% of my theater trips are alone. My wife and I do not share the same taste in movies so if there's a movie I want to see in the theaters....I'll go to the late showing, alone....and see it. On occasion I'll go with my brothers or buddies or take the kiddos....but it's typically just me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2015, 10:43:11 AM »
when you go with someone or a group of people.

99% of my theater trips are alone. My wife and I do not share the same taste in movies so if there's a movie I want to see in the theaters....I'll go to the late showing, alone....and see it. On occasion I'll go with my brothers or buddies or take the kiddos....but it's typically just me.

I've gone alone in the past for various reasons, like I need to be out of the house and have nothing else to do type of things, but I am not sure I would ever choose to go alone just because I want to see a movie, I'd rather wait for it to come out later in that scenario.  I know other people who go by themselves normally and thats cool and all, just Id rather be with someone and it still works as a solid date night.