Author Topic: The Great Discord thread  (Read 5314 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
The Great Discord thread
« on: May 29, 2015, 09:55:59 AM »
So, Samsara sent me the streaming link of this band's debut album yesterday.  It comes out June 2.  Wow, this is some different stuff and I like it a lot.  It's heavy technical progressive metal, but with a female singer who dresses like an entity to convey the album's concept.  Very original.  Check it out!

Streaming link: https://www.metalblade.com/thegreatdiscord/

Video for "The Aging Man": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEKcl8MzWLQ

Another video teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6vfrG5RnkU
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:05:03 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Not bad, not bad at all. I really like the singer and the atmosphere of the Aging Man is great. Thanks for the heads up.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: The Great Discord (New prog metal band; think Tesseract meets Queensryche)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 06:57:56 AM »
Only just heard about this band last night; WOW. Me likey a lot! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 09:53:24 AM »

Cool!  Nice to see people get into this band.  I'd love to see them live.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 11:09:09 AM »

Cool!  Nice to see people get into this band.  I'd love to see them live.

As would I. I get the impression it would be a very interesting and unique concert.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 05:23:35 PM »
Finally a female singer who doesn't just sing high. Love her ranges and her versatility. Gonna be following this band now.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 07:28:56 PM »
Wasn't a fan of the singer.  I didn't know it was a chick.  :|  The music is awesome though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 11:51:40 PM »
Wow!   This year has just been one of the most amazing years of good new music in my entire lifetime.

This is freakin amazing.   I've just been consistently blown away by amazing new music lately.   It's a fantastic time to be a music fan.

The only bad part is that there's almost too much amazing stuff to keep up with it all. 

I love this so much I'm going to buy it before the end of the week if I get the chance.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 04:56:21 AM »
Wasn't a fan of the singer.  I didn't know it was a chick.  :|  The music is awesome though.

I wasn't sure if she was a woman or not at first, since she has that "demon Peter Gabriel wearing pale facepaint in Genesis" thing going on in the music video for The Aging Man. However I quite like her voice myself. She's got impressive range and power to her.

But yeah, the music itself is pretty killer. :metal

Wow!   This year has just been one of the most amazing years of good new music in my entire lifetime.

This is freakin amazing.   I've just been consistently blown away by amazing new music lately.   It's a fantastic time to be a music fan.

The only bad part is that there's almost too much amazing stuff to keep up with it all. 

I love this so much I'm going to buy it before the end of the week if I get the chance.

Yeah, it's definitely hard to keep up with all of the great bands that are surfacing these days. In any case, I'd say it's still preferable to how it was a few years back, when word of mouth didn't have quite as much reach and immediacy as it does now thanks to the growth of the Internet via YouTube and music streaming.

Finally a female singer who doesn't just sing high. Love her ranges and her versatility. Gonna be following this band now.

She's definitely different to a lot of the female vocalists I've heard in metal bands lately. I still like singers such as Floor Jansen and Pamela Moore (whose solo album a couple years back was awesome) quite a lot, but Fia stands out. Her Peter Gabriel-esque persona is definitely interesting too.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 04:58:51 AM »
I might try that song again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 01:56:35 PM »
Beautiful acoustic version of "The Aging Man": https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OMouuS904M

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 12:16:30 PM »
Beautiful acoustic version of "The Aging Man": https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OMouuS904M

Listening to it right now! Very moody, I quite like it. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 12:25:52 PM »
They are a very cool band. Interesting concept too. I'll have to check out more of their stuff to get a better grasp, but I've liked what I've heard.

If any Ghost fans check them out, it's interesting to note that the drummer in this band was their old drummer. He left them to join The Great Discord
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Been awhile, but the band's getting ready to release a new album ("The Rabbit Hole", a concept album inspired by Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland apparently) in September!!!

They just released their first single/music video recently and it's pretty awesome! :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hEDLj7nzQw
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Yeah, I discovered this band on the way to a gig with my wife on a sampler CD from Metal Blade. Loved the first record. Not listening to anything. Just want the new one in my hands in September. Long leg time for promotion. Hopefully they can garner some interest. Really good band.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Really like the new tune!  I'm surprised they released it so early.  The album doesn't drop until September!

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Huh, completely missed there was a thread on these guys!  I liked Duende, really looking forward to the new one.  Like many, I found them via Ghost.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
Really like the new tune!  I'm surprised they released it so early.  The album doesn't drop until September!

I had the same thought! Apparently it seems that the band's signed up with a new record label ("the Signs Records") instead of releasing it on Metal Blade, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Either way, the song sounds KILLER. Best thing I've heard this year since the Witherfall album and potentially the first album to give that beast a run for its money on my Album of the Year 2017 watch.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: The Great Discord thread
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 09:07:37 AM »
Duende hasn't aged well with me over the last year (I think I've known it for almost exactly a year). The Aging Man is still a fantastic song but that's about it for me. New song doesn't do much for me either but I might just check out the album when it comes out, dunno, not a huge fan of the singer.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 09:53:56 AM »
Duende hasn't aged well with me over the last year (I think I've known it for almost exactly a year). The Aging Man is still a fantastic song but that's about it for me. New song doesn't do much for me either but I might just check out the album when it comes out, dunno, not a huge fan of the singer.

One thing that bothered me with Duende upon repeated listens is that I couldn't understand what she was singing in many spots, although I love the sound of her voice.  I'm a big lyrics guy, so the words are very important to me.  But that's a minor complaint, I think.  I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with their sophomore album. 

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 09:58:42 AM »

One thing that bothered me with Duende upon repeated listens is that I couldn't understand what she was singing in many spots, although I love the sound of her voice.  I'm a big lyrics guy, so the words are very important to me.  But that's a minor complaint, I think.  I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with their sophomore album.

I do think the new single's production sounds a bit cleaner and more understandable than the stuff on Duende did. Hopefully that continues to be the case for the rest of the album.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 10:09:38 AM »
I really would love to see them live. But it's going to be tough here in the States. Hopefully, with them starting promotional work now for the new record, they might be able to tour the clubs as a part of a three-band tour, with an opener or two locally to support.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 11:12:01 AM »
I really would love to see them live. But it's going to be tough here in the States. Hopefully, with them starting promotional work now for the new record, they might be able to tour the clubs as a part of a three-band tour, with an opener or two locally to support.

They have recently opened for (and are close to) Ghost, could imagine Ghost bringing them along on a US tour (though likely not this calendar year).
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »

They have recently opened for (and are close to) Ghost, could imagine Ghost bringing them along on a US tour (though likely not this calendar year).

That's true, but selfishly, I would prefer someone else headlining.  :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 07:35:09 PM »
Ok, I'm like completely addicted to the new song right now. It's all I listened to today. I think I played it like a dozen times in a row at one point as I worked, lol. I think I like it just as much, if not more, than anything on the last album -- and I liked the last album a lot. Very much looking forward to this release.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 07:40:16 PM »
Ok, I'm like completely addicted to the new song right now. It's all I listened to today. I think I played it like a dozen times in a row at one point as I worked, lol. I think I like it just as much, if not more, than anything on the last album -- and I liked the last album a lot. Very much looking forward to this release.

Yeah, the chorus on this new song is especially fantastic.

I've been on a Witherfall kick since early February, but if there's an album coming out that might be able to make me consider an alternative for Album of the Year, it could very well end up being this one. I'm very excited to see where the band takes things from here.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2017, 11:37:49 AM »
The band just released a second music video, The Red Rabbit. And I'm not gonna lie, this one really creeps me out for some reason. :lol Good song though! :tup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls8xeXTFzas

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/231755/exclusive-great-discord-make-looney-tunes-dark-red-rabbit/

Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2017, 01:45:24 PM »
I feel fairly safe in saying that this is the likely first time that the imagery of a man in a rabbit mask being waterboarded with blood (possibly menstrual blood) has been use in a music video.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 07:47:21 AM »
Excited to hear the record. Have avoided listening to any of the new tracks so far, however. Going to try and let this one just hit me. :)

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2017, 12:11:29 PM »
The Rabbit Hole out today!

For some reason, our Amazon overlords have not put up the mp3s, but can but directly from their label:
https://thesignrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-great-discord-the-rabbit-hole

Only been able to give it one pass so far, but it's a stomper.  Overall, a little more natural and less labored-sounding than Duende, but still very uncompromising.  Just as heavy, and maybe even a little heavier in spots.  I'm really looking forward to giving this a proper workout in the car tomorrow on a long drive.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 12:32:28 PM »
The Rabbit Hole out today!

For some reason, our Amazon overlords have not put up the mp3s, but can but directly from their label:
https://thesignrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-great-discord-the-rabbit-hole

Only been able to give it one pass so far, but it's a stomper.  Overall, a little more natural and less labored-sounding than Duende, but still very uncompromising.  Just as heavy, and maybe even a little heavier in spots.  I'm really looking forward to giving this a proper workout in the car tomorrow on a long drive.

Thank you for this! I was bummed Amazon didn't have it on AutoRip, as my copy gets here tonight. I can't wait to hear it!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 01:16:30 PM »
Excited to hear the record. Have avoided listening to any of the new tracks so far, however. Going to try and let this one just hit me. :)

You made it, dude.  Impressive willpower.  :tup

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »
Holy shit that ripped!!!!! One time through, and it seemed...a little heavier this time around. Incredible. Can't wait to re-listen!

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2017, 08:05:02 PM »
So having spent about a week and a half with this, I've gotta say it may be a favorite for album of the year for me. It's addictive, and has completely bumped the new SW from my preferred commute listening.  It's very compact by concept-album standards, has great poppy hooks juxtaposed with crushing riffs, and just overall has a really good sensibility about it.  It feels like this band has really found their groove.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2017, 08:32:53 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed their first album. So much so it ended up in my top 10 of 2015. The new album on the other hand has not grabbed me in the same way, it feels like a big step backwards to me. It isn't a bad album and my opinion may change after more listens, but so far it's looking like it won't even crack my top 100 of 2017.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar