Author Topic: The Mars Volta Discography Thread  (Read 16915 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mars Volta Discography Thread
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 04:29:29 PM »
I'm rolling through the EP right now and the second half of Concertina is really standing out as something I'd dig with more listens. I enjoy chaotic stuff like that.

[edit] Yeah, the last song was a little too trippy for me...it just trailed off into irrelevance too. But, that could just be because of my mood today. I'll give it another whirl tomorrow and see what happens. [/edit]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 04:41:01 PM by Podaar »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 11:15:17 PM »
just re-listened to the ep again. my initial reactions were that there was a huge atdi vibe while still sounding like mars volta. it's got that atdi edge with the volta complexity.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2015, 04:14:48 AM »
Concertina was the highlight of Scabdates for me, great song.  I haven't listened to this cd but just saw that it's sitting in my itunes so what the fuck I'll give it a spin.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 09:44:41 AM »
What's the best Mars Volta album to start with?

De-Loused in the Comatorium and Frances the Mute are the two fan favorites, I'd say De-Loused is the easiest one as an entry album. The songs are shorter and more focused, on Frances they are longer and a bit harder to get into.
This. I didn't like Frances the Mute's intro (the chains thing) but once the song started, fuckin' amazing!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 11:54:56 AM »
Eunuch Provocateur foreshadows De-Loused in the lyrics, but that's about it, I believe (apart from breakbeat in the outro, that's on De Loused right? Or is it on Frances?).

yeah, it reappears at the end of "Drunkship of Lanterns"! such a cool nugget.

both "Concertina" and "Eunuch" were re-recorded for DITC but were only barely released, sadly.

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 12:37:42 PM »
De-Loused in the Comatorium - Progressive Rock/Jazz Rock/Experimental

(ALTERNATIVE COVER)

Tracklist
1. Son et Lumière (1:35)
2. Inertiatic ESP (4:24)
3. Roulette Dares (7:31)
4. Tira Me a las Arañas (1:28)
5. Drunkship of Lanterns (7:06)
6. Eriatarka (6:20)
7. Cicatriz ESP (12:29)
8. This Apparatus Must Be Unearthed  (4:58)
9. Televators (6:19)
10. Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt (8:42)
Extra Tracks - UK/AUSTRALIA SPECIAL EDITIONS
11. Ambuletz (7:30)
Personnel
Cedric Bixler-Zavala (Vocals)
Omar Rodríguez-López (Guitar/Bass) (Bass - Track 11 only)
Jon Theodore (Drums)
Ikey Owens (Keyboards)
Flea (Bass) (Except Track 10 and 11)
Jeremy Ward (Effects & sound manipulation)
Description
De-Loused in the Comatorium is the debut studio album by American progressive rock band The Mars Volta, released on June 24, 2003. The album follows a story created by Cedric Bixler-Zavala and sound manipulation artist Jeremy Ward, the concept album is an hour-long tale of Cerpin Taxt, a man who enters a week-long coma after overdosing on a mixture of morphine and rat poison. The character of Cerpin is reportedly based on  Bixler-Zavala's friend, Julio Venegas, who died in 1996.
Reception
The album, like their debut EP, Tremulant, received largely positive reviews from critics, with AllMusic giving De-Loused in the Comatorium 4.5/5 stars, and the only negative reviews coming from Rolling Stone (3/5) and Robert Christgau, (C+) showing that De-Loused in the Comatorium truly was a great debut album from the band.
Thanks for reading! Please let me know of any corrections I may need to make.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 07:19:09 PM »
This album is so classic it burns my loins

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2015, 07:50:02 PM »
Such a chaotic and weird record. Yet so awesome.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 07:58:42 PM »
It's one of the best albums ever made. My opinion, of course, but I think the only other time they came to this level of greatness again was "Day of the Baphomets". There's not a single weak moment here. I think if I have anything against it, it's the two random little transition tracks that could have easily just been the beginning of the tracks they lead into, but I think the reason it was ten tracks instead of eight was because the record company wanted them to have that many? I thought I read that in an interview once, but that could be total BS.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 08:14:36 PM »
love love love this record. there's just so much good stuff here. start to finish is just a wild ride. out of the six records it's #2 on my list. jon theodore is such a beast. the drum break in cerpin taxt is one of my favorite drum moments of all time. i've gotten so frustrated trying to learn that part (still not even close).
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 09:07:57 PM »
Great record, but one I rarely listen to anymore.  In fact, I rarely listen to this band anymore.  I love this album and the next, but I have to be in the mood for their style, and that only seems to happen once every leap year now.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 11:29:51 PM »
De-Loused is amazing. Their second best IMO, but it's such a flawless album. No weak moments.

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2015, 09:34:40 AM »
I agree with all you guys. Flawless album. Amazing drumming from Jon Theodore, as always on this record. And, the mixing is good on this one

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2015, 09:39:54 AM »
One of my favorite albums of all time.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2015, 10:28:26 AM »
this is the only TMV album I really come back to anymore, tight songwriting and tons of energy, just really fun to listen to

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2015, 11:08:48 AM »
Tracking through for my very first time. This is really cool, but there is a lot to digest. I foresee several more listens in my future.

I'm beginning to think Thank You Scientist is a big fan of this album.  :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2015, 01:11:06 PM »
when i first listened to Thank You Scientist I basically described them as "what if you put Coheed and TMV in a blender"
though honestly their debut is better than any album either of those two bands have ever put out IMO  :lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2015, 01:59:43 PM »
Following. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who likes all the albums (except Octehedron) after Deloused more, though I love it. Took a while to get into it, maybe I missed the context in which the album came out (both in the context of music and culture by 2002, plus I've never got into At The Drive-In so I don't have anything to judge it against other than TMV's first EP) Nowadays I think it's one of the best albums ever, but it's not my favorite.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2015, 02:14:34 PM »
this album simply exploded my brain when it came out! i was just finding my own taste and the record blew open all kinds of doors (especially ambient/noise, now that i trace it back). first love was "Cicatriz" but really the only song i skip is "Televators."

behind it i'd place "Eriatarka" and probably "Roulette Dares."

in case anyone thought otherwise, the intros for "Inertiatic" and "Drunkship" were split out to give the album more tracks, a problem with their label that would also plague them later on Frances the Mute.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2015, 03:35:41 PM »
Great album, probably one of the better debut albums ever! The first and last songs stand out to me but it's all gold, though not their best.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2015, 06:45:31 PM »
Not much to say that hasn’t already been said. I remember when this first came out, it blew a lot of people’s minds. They simply couldn’t comprehend prog that sounded like this. And it was once this album hit that music media really started talking about a new age of mainstream prog (in positive terms, one must add) that had already been about for a while.

My two favourite songs are Tira Me/Drunkship and Cicatriz, but nothing is bad on this one.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2015, 10:02:13 PM »
Simply one of the greatest albums ever made, progressive rock or other. :hefdaddy Cicatriz ESP is an all-time favorite. Every second of that song is pure genius.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
there was some really interesting improv vocal work by Cedric on "Cicatriz" that was left off the final version. if you find the 'summer demos' that were leaked, one of the "Cicatriz" is the album recording with the vocals left in (it's in the jam prior to the fade into ambient ghostville).

i wish they'd release a version with the full, unedited jam!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2015, 10:34:24 PM »
love love love this record. there's just so much good stuff here. start to finish is just a wild ride. out of the six records it's #2 on my list. jon theodore is such a beast. the drum break in cerpin taxt is one of my favorite drum moments of all time. i've gotten so frustrated trying to learn that part (still not even close).

Have you ever seen this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMXRc1UDR3w

Its a drum medley by Stan Bicknell (used to drum for Kimbra's backing band, The New Caledonia), covering all Jon Theodore grooves.  It's a fun watch.

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2015, 02:04:18 AM »

Have you ever seen this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMXRc1UDR3w

Its a drum medley by Stan Bicknell (used to drum for Kimbra's backing band, The New Caledonia), covering all Jon Theodore grooves.  It's a fun watch.
The only word I have is... wow...

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2015, 09:09:08 AM »
Wonderful record, listened to it twice this week, and it stood out to me how good the album ends. It really sounds like it is closing a story, though, again, I don't have the faintest idea what Cedric is singing.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2015, 09:44:21 AM »
Wonderful record, listened to it twice this week, and it stood out to me how good the album ends. It really sounds like it is closing a story, though, again, I don't have the faintest idea what Cedric is singing.
:lol you really need the good 'ol lyric book close at hand for TMV.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2015, 12:37:48 AM »
:lol you really need the good 'ol lyric book close at hand for TMV.

Even then I don't even think it matters.  I don't even think he even makes any sense half the time.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2015, 12:40:32 AM »
"Something something mandible tongues!"

Me trying to sing along to Mars Volta in the car.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2015, 03:57:21 AM »
"Something something mandible tongues!"

Me trying to sing along to Mars Volta in the car.  :lol
Trying to sing along to cygnus vismund cygnus goes something along the lines of "woooo, will they foo us the wooooo"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2015, 07:56:36 AM »
Fantastic album.  A real classic prog album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2015, 06:36:33 PM »

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2015, 02:06:39 AM »

Sorry. I'm really busy doing physics revision right now. The exam is today, so I'll get back to it tomorrow

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2015, 08:57:06 AM »
Was listening to Frances today. I hope we're skipping Scabdates (is that even in between? I think it is).
While listening to Deloused I couldn't see why any other Mars Volta album would even be necessary, but I forgot how good Frances is.
Still have Cassandra to go, which is an adventure in itself.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2015, 08:42:36 PM »
Deloused might be their most consistent album, but Frances is certainly my favorite. Easily. The band just lets loose with some of the best songs they've ever written.

Deloused took me forever to get into though. At first I only liked one or two songs on the album but then something just clicked and the chaos and weirdness of the music suddenly made sense. Not sure how or why, but I'm very glad it did.