Author Topic: The Mars Volta Discography Thread  (Read 17002 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The Mars Volta Discography Thread
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2015, 07:58:13 AM »
Haven't heard this one actually

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2015, 07:59:20 AM »
Haven't heard this one actually
TBH, I don't listen to it at all. It's pretty much my least played TMV album - probably one of the least played albums in my entire collection, actually.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2015, 08:58:09 AM »
Who are you?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2015, 09:23:01 AM »
I dig "Concertina" but overall Scabdates is a complete mess.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2015, 09:52:54 AM »
Okay, so with Amputechture, I certainly don’t think it’s a bad album, or an average one by any means. I really like how they bookended it with the weird trippy intro and outro tracks.

The problem is, Tetragrammaton, while not bad, is far too long to justify how good it is for much of its length. There are great moments, but a lot of it flounders. And Vermicide is a throwaway for me. That means if I put on this album these days, I have little desire to listen to those two tracks, and almost never do, I’d rather just go straight to the solid awesomeness of Meccamputechture > Asilos Magdalena > Viscera Eyes > Day of the Baphomets.

So what happens to the bookend tracks? Because I normally don’t listen to the album right through, I normally don’t bother with those either. So this album has become one where I tend to only listen to four of the eight tracks. (And in fact, for people who tried the album and couldn’t stomach it, I would suggest focusing on those four tracks.) I think I should try adding the intro/outro back into my listening, though I don’t know how well the first track will jump into Meccamputechture.

Scab Dates is garbage. I tried the album so many times, and liked nothing. The album tracks (Cicatriz and Cerpin Taxt) had vastly worse singing, and generally not as tight performance, which I’m sure is fine for the live experience, but given a choice of what to play at home, I’m gonna go for the studio version every time. The jamming is pointless without something to ground it, and I found it totally uninteresting anyway.

« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2015, 01:36:29 PM »

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2015, 12:21:30 AM »
scabdates is wild. i'm definitely into, but i really i have to be in the mood for it.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2015, 05:25:56 AM »
That version of Concertina, the Cerpin Taxt jam and the Cicatriz jam are all excellent on Scabdates, imo.

« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2015, 04:04:01 AM »
Amputechture:
Album Cover:

Released:
September 8, 2006 (Germany)
September 11, 2006 (Rest of Europe)
September 12, 2006 (Released Internationally)
Tracklist:
1. Vicarious Atonement (7:19)
2. Tetragrammaton (16:41)
3. Vermicide (4:16)
4. Meccamputechture (11:03)
5. Asilos Magdalena (6:34)
6. Viscera Eyes (9:23)
7. Day of the Baphomets (11:57)
8. El Ciervo Vulnerado (8:50)
Overview:
Amputechture is the third studio album by The Mars Volta. It was again produced by guitarist Omar Rodriguez-Lopez. It is also the final album to feature drummer Jon Theodore, and is the first studio album to feature guitarist and sound manipulator Paul Hinojos, although he was credited, it is not clear . Amputechture reached a peak of #9 on the Billboard 200.
Reception:
The album receives generally favourable reviews. Slant Magazine gave the album a score of 4 out of a possible 5, saying "shows a band honing their eruptive sound and bringing it into tight focus for the first time, routinely pushing their music to the wall without ever risking a breach."
The album did, however, receive some negative review, with Alternative Press giving the album two-and-a-half stars out of five and said that all the album did was to "test patience." Tiny Mix Tapes also gave the album two-and-a-half stars out of five, calling it a "a bumpy ride."
The album has a score of 61/100 on Metacritic, meaning that the reviews were genrally favourable.
Personnel:
The Mars Volta:
Omar Rodríguez-López – guitars, bass, sitar, tampura, direction
Cedric Bixler-Zavala – vocals
John Frusciante – rhythm guitar
Juan Alderete – bass guitar
Jon Theodore – drums
Marcel Rodriguez-Lopez – keyboards, synthesizers
Ikey Owens – keyboards
Adrián Terrazas-González – flute, tenor saxophone, bass clarinet
Paul Hinojos – sound manipulation
Additional Personnel:
Sara Christina Gross – saxophone on "Meccamputechture"

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2015, 04:21:55 AM »
One of the most difficult albums I've ever gotten into. There has been a few, and I've spoken about BTBAM's Colors a lot, and how it took me 10-15 listens to get into it, but I felt the potential there. That's different, Amputechture felt like it was making it as hard as possible for me to get into it. But I went through their discography chronologically, so when I reached the road block with Amputechture, I knew how much I loved the first two albums, and that helped me give it a few listens more.

It's definitely an odd one, for starters the album doesn't really have a beginning or end. It sort of just starts (I guess) and then eventually it just ends with that sudden cut. It really feels like a weird LSD trip where someone cut out the intro and outro and just captured the weird stuff in between. But there is great stuff on the album, and luckily I grew to really appreciate it. I feel like a lot of the songs stand strong on their own, and it's only really in the context of the album where it might become a chore to listen to it all. But still, I'd say it's a 8 or 8.5 out of 10. I have some minor problems with it, and it's definitely an album that challenges you to sit through it, but some great musical ideas. It's not as good as Frances or De-Loused, or even Bedlam for me, but it's not that far behind.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2015, 07:43:25 AM »
Absolute highlights of the discography are on this – "Tetragrammaton," "Vermicide," "Meccamputechture," "Viscera Eyes," "Day of the Baphomets" – but the rest are pretty meh, and every single song except "Vermicide" is WAY too repetitive and runs way too long. It's funny that a reviewer called it "focused"... it's the same problem Frances had, just not up to half an hour at once this time.

And pretty much every track has a sudden start and end. The transitions, uhh, aren't. It's more like someone flips the slide out of nowhere. Very annoying.

However, this is the last time I was particularly impressed with this band at all.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2015, 07:48:44 PM »
Tetragrammaton and Day Of The Baphomets are my favourite songs of TMV discography, Viscera Eyes is great, I like Meccamputechture.. but I completely forgot how are the other songs. Maybe I should relisten to them 6 or 7 years after the last time

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2015, 08:13:48 PM »
I'm  looking        at the     tracks      and i see         no problems.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2015, 12:06:07 AM »
this was the first of theor records that i listened to (followed by bedlam which  blew my mind). i really love the diversity w/ the different styles of music. day of the baphomets is by far their best song. it's wild from start to finish. i've listened to it hundreds of times i feel like.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2015, 02:51:49 PM »
First album I heard by the band, Vicarious Atonement and Tetragrammaton had me instantly hooked.
Day of the Baphomets is probably my least favorite on this one (which seems kinda odd considering the general consensus).

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: September 05, 2015, 07:05:00 AM »
Okay, so I listened through Amputechture again today, the bass line in the second half of Viscera Eyes might be one of the greatest bass lines ever.  :hefdaddy

« Reply #156 on: September 05, 2015, 07:41:35 AM »
Okay, so I listened through Amputechture again today, the bass line in the second half of Viscera Eyes might be one of the greatest bass lines ever.  :hefdaddy
Yeah! I just listened to it again. It's bloody good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »
So, is this still a thing?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #158 on: September 25, 2015, 07:35:11 AM »
Always fun when threads like these take a month between updates (for some reason).

« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2015, 03:32:25 PM »
Yeah, maybe it wasn't a good idea for me to do this, after all. My progress slowed down whilst I was on holiday, and now I'm back at school, and extremely busy. If anyone wants to do something, feel free, but I don't know if I'll be able to carry it on due to my workload right now.  :-[ Sorry guys

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2015, 05:30:33 AM »
I can keep this rolling if no-one else is keen, I guess. Only three more albums, after all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #161 on: September 26, 2015, 05:37:33 AM »
I can keep this rolling if no-one else is keen, I guess. Only three more albums, after all.
Fine with me.  Go for it.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2015, 05:39:35 AM »
Cool, I'll do Bedlam tomorrow.

« Reply #163 on: September 26, 2015, 05:45:57 AM »
Thanks for stepping in, mate. Sorry to you guys for it being so slow. It was a bit of a let-down, this thread.  :-[

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2015, 05:46:21 AM »
Don't worry about it.  :)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #165 on: September 26, 2015, 09:48:38 PM »
Alright, so I'll do this similar to how James Mypetgiress did the previous albums.

The Bedlam in Goliath
Released: January 29, 2008
Tracklist:

1.   "Aberinkula"
2.   "Metatron"
3.   "Ilyena"
4.   "Wax Simulacra"
5.   "Goliath" 
6.   "Tourniquet Man"
7.   "Cavalettas"
8.   "Agadez"
9.   "Askepios"
10.   "Ouroborous"
11.   "Soothsayer"
12.   "Conjugal Burns" 

Personnel
Omar Rodríguez-López – guitar, synthesizers
Cedric Bixler-Zavala – vocals
Isaiah Ikey Owens – keyboards
Juan Alderete – bass
Thomas Pridgen – drums
John Frusciante – guitar
Marcel Rodriguez-Lopez – percussion, keyboards
Adrián Terrazas-González – flute, tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone, bass clarinet, percussion
Paul Hinojos – sound manipulation
Additional musicians
Henry Trejo – "Because"s on "Agadez"
Nathaniel Tookey – string composition and arrangement on "Soothsayer"
Sam Bass – cello on "Soothsayer"
Edwin Huizinga – violin on "Soothsayer"
Charith Premawardhana – viola on "Soothsayer"
Anthony Blea – violin on "Soothsayer"
Owen Levine – double bass on "Soothsayer"

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #166 on: September 26, 2015, 09:56:44 PM »
So I thought this album was really successful and great. The band had really explored the prog angle quite well, at least for the time being, and if they had gone on in that direction, it would have gotten samey, so I think the decision to dial things back and make a harder, more intense album was a really smart move. As I mentioned in my favourite albums thread: "On my first few listens, I was astounded by how this album sustains such high levels of energy across 75 minutes and stays interesting throughout.".

As I also mentioned there, though the album is mostly brilliant across its full length - there are only a few times that it slips back to merely very good - the album is made for me by the two trios of Ilyena/Wax Simulacra/Goliath and Askepios/Ouroboros/Soothsayer. The first three would all make my favourite songs by this band easily, and the latter three are also damn good contenders. The album opens incredibly strongly as well though.

Also, Thomas fucking Pridgen.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #167 on: September 26, 2015, 10:05:19 PM »
Oh, and this was the first album where I really paid very much attention to the band's version of events that supposedly inspired the album and thought, "what the proper fuck?"

Here's a full account of it from back in the day that I copy-pasted and stored away (I'll add I haven't read it since the album first came out, I may re-read it later and comment again).

The genesis of The Mars Volta’s new album The Bedlam in Goliath is one of the weirdest stories in the history of modern music, a tale of long-buried murder victims and their otherworldly influence, of strife and near collapse, of the long hard fight to push “the record that did not want to be born” out into the world.  And I swear we’ll get to all of that in a second.
   But right now, before we drag any new passengers on the Volta Express into the lunacy of The Bedlam in Goliath, we’ve got to bring them up to speed.  And so I present “A Very Brief History of The Mars Volta”:
   Back at the turn of the century guitarist/producer Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and lyricist/vocalist Cedric Bixler-Zavala decided to form a musical partnership called The Mars Volta.  They grabbed a few other intrepid musicians and recorded The Tremulant EP, which was incredible and weird and proved these guys were trailblazing far from the paths tread by their prior band, At the Drive-In. 
   Then they released De-Loused In The Comatorium, an astonishing album that served as both an elegy for and celebration of their friend Julio Venegas (as told through the fictional character Cerpin Taxt whose life-and-death travails are chronicled via the songs).  The album was huge in terms of exposure, influence, and raw momentum.
     Next came Frances the Mute, an album with a central plot, based, sadly, on the loss of another friend (this time fellow musician and bandmate Jeremy Ward).  An equally bizarre and powerful album.  For this record and the remainder since, Omar has produced solo, dropping some of the pop sheen that Rick Rubin brought to the first album in favor of more experimental textures and structures.  If De-Loused… was a dark album, this thing is obsidian.  And also inspiring.  And majestic.
   Most recently they released Amputechture, their first album with no central concept (aside from stretching the boundaries of their prior musical achievements).  Omar worked as a director/conductor/visionary, writing all the music and providing motivation, while Cedric stretched his vocals and lyrics around multi-tiered songs about things like modern witch-burnings, cultural oppression, and madness.  The soaring intensity of the single Viscera Eyes alone is worth the admission.
   The tours supporting each of these albums have proven that The Mars Volta is an endlessly ambitious group intent on turning a standard concert into something transformative that can best be described as an aural blitzkrieg.  Saul Williams, no slouch when it comes to rocking a stage, once joked that he rushed through his opening sets just so he could watch the Volta sooner.
   Point Being:  If you don’t have these albums, you need them.  If you do have them then you know exactly what I’m talking about and you’re anticipating The Bedlam in Goliath more than any other record this year.  And you know, as I do, that if the Volta comes to your town for a show that you have to be there or a little bit of your soul dies.  That’s a science fact.     
   Which brings us to the now, on the eve of the release of The Mars Volta’s stunning new recording.  Which brings us to The Story. 
   Perhaps it’s best to insert a prologue for this tale stating that some (cynics, pragmatists, people who would like their life to be more boring) may instantly respond with rolled-eyes and disbelief.  And that’s okay.  But others are willing to acknowledge that most metaphysics may just be the elements of physics our brains can’t quite comprehend yet, and that there is a great power in words, and in belief. 
   Quotes from two Volta compatriots offer a relevant lead-in:
   “The things you speak to can shape your world.  Look at Biggie.  ‘Ready to Die.’  Dead.  Word.”
   — Saul Williams (again)
   “This is the sound of what you don’t know killing you.  This is the sound of what you don’t believe, still true.  This is the sound of what you don’t want, still in you.”
   —El-P
   And so, all that being said, here is The Story (and various annotations):         Omar was in a curio shop in Jerusalem when he found the Soothsayer.  It seemed to him an ideal gift for Cedric, this archaic Ouija-style “talking board.”  So it was then and there, in a city where the air swims with religious fervor, in a shop that might as well have carried monkey’s paws and Mogwais, that Omar changed the fate of The Mars Volta forever.
   Had he known at that moment that the board’s history stretched far beyond its novelty appearance, that its very fibers were soaked through with something terribly other, that the choral death and desire of a multi-headed Goliath was waiting behind its gates… well, he might have left it at rest there on the dusty shelves.
   The Upside of That Choice: No bad mojo unleashed.  Erase the madness that followed.  Erase the bizarre connection to a love/lust/murder triangle that threatened to spill out into the present every time the band let its fingers drift over the board.
   The Downside: No Soothsayer means The Bedlam in Goliath never would have existed.  And it turns out that this demented spiritual black hole of a muse has driven The Mars Volta to produce a crowning moment in their already stellar career.
   So if Omar hadn’t given in to his curiosity and brought the Soothsayer home to Cedric then the band would probably have been happier, healthier, less haunted.
   But you and I, Lucky Listener, we would have been robbed of one fucking amazing album. 
   More on that in a moment.   
   Back up to the last big tour.  The Volta and the Red Hot Chili Peppers are tearing venues in half, retreating to their busses, rolling through the night.  But instead of the normal Rock God routines the guys are sitting around Cedric’s new Ouija board, which they’ve dubbed the Soothsayer.  And they love it— it’s the new post-show addiction.
   The Soothsayer offers them names: Goliath, Mr. Mugs, Patience Worth, Tourniquet Man.
   The Soothsayer offers them a story: It’s always about a man, a woman, and her mother.  About the lust floating between them.  About seduction and infidelity.  And pain.  And eventually, murder.  Entrails and absence and curses and oblivion.  Exactly the kind of spooky shit you’d want from your Ouija.
   Now here comes the rub.
   The Soothsayer starts asking the band what they have to offer.  This connection that’s set up runs both ways, and the invisible voices begin to speak of their appetites.
   They threaten oblivion and dissolution, or offer it as seduction.  The voices merge as Goliath, a metaphysical quagmire and unfed saint whose hunger to return to the real world grows more urgent with each connection.
   There are proper ways to close this union, but The Mars Volta have never been anything if not adventurous.  They stay in contact— even taking phrases from the board and inserting them as song lyrics— but never offer themselves as surrogates.  And so the starving Goliath extends its influence.
   Inexplicable equipment issues abound while on tour. 
   Conflict with the existing drummer escalates and results in a change of guard.     Ritual gives way to injury and Cedric is laid low by a randomly (and severely) gimped foot. 
   A completely reliable engineer’s mental composure cracks, pushing him from the project.  The tracks he leaves behind are desperately tangled.
   Omar’s music studio floods, threatening to send him right over the same precipice as the engineer.
   Long-term album delays hit and people aren’t sleeping well.
   Nonsensical words and phrases the board had previously spoken begin to pop up in things like documentaries about mass suicide. 
   The Soothsayer keeps telling the same story but the details are becoming more brutal.
   One day the label on the board peels back revealing pre-Aramaic lingo written across weird cone shapes. 
   It’s bad mojo writ large, and things are crumbling quickly. 
   Worst of all, the board has shifted from pleas to demands. 
   To threats. 
   So they buried the fucking thing.
   There are many ways to close a spiritual connection.  Wear white for a whole year.  Surround yourself with salt.  Close a board and ask someone else to open it, thus transferring the ownership.  Break the board into seven pieces and sprinkle it with holy water.  Or bury it.
   Omar wrapped the Soothsayer in cloth and found a proper place for it in the soil.  Cedric asked that he never be made aware of its location. 
   And then their album found a new, more urgent purpose. 
   The Bedlam in Goliath is here to consecrate the grounds where the Soothsayer lies in wait.  It’s metaphor vs. metaphysics.  Its story will be told to you and I, Lucky Listener, and we’re the ones re-opening the board.  Taking on the ownership. 
   Perhaps if Goliath is spread between us all its hunger will dissipate.  Or, as it threatened, it could become our epidemic.
   So there’s the story, up to today, but it’s not over.  Because this thing is about to enter the hearts and minds of countless listeners.  My hope is that the album will do exactly as The Mars Volta have engineered it to do, and lift the unseen burden that hangs over them.
   When they first sent me The Bedlam in Goliath and asked me to write this, I was nervous.  What if the music itself was somehow cursed, a sort of audio Macbeth? 
   But after over one hundred listens I can tell you with confidence that I’d risk a little spiritual vengeance for this album.
   From the opening surge of Aberinkula to the Brobdingnagian blast of Goliath to the frenzy and near escape of Conjugal Burns, The Bedlam in Goliath is the sound of a band transformed.  The Volta have never been what any sane person would call restrained, but in the heat of this bedlam, in their teeth-baring cornered animal response to an invisible entropy, they’ve created a truly relentless musical juggernaut. 
   The returning roster (Omar Rodriguez-Lopez on guitar and production, Cedric Bixler-Zavala on vocals and lyrics, Isaiah Ikey Owens on keys, Juan Alderete de la Pena on bass, Adrian Terrazas-Gonzalez on horns, Marcel Rodriguez-Lopez on percussion, Paul Hinojos on guitar and soundboard, Thomas “Holy Fucking Shit This New Guy is Incredible” Pridgen on drums, and Red Hot Chili Pepper/regular-Volta-album-contributor John Frusciante rounding out the guitar armada) have crafted a record that manages to contain the echoes of their considerable prior work and merge them with their uncompromising desire to carve out new territory in the musical landscape. 
   Wax Simulacra carries with it the energy of De-Loused’s This Apparatus Must Be Unearthed and elevates the tone with frantic looped vocals and a swirling mix of horns and drum rolls.  The mind-melting freak-out crescendos of tracks like Frances the Mute’s Cassandra Geminni or Amputechture’s Viscera Eyes have always given the Volta’s albums and shows an air of transcendence, and there are moments on new tracks like Goliath and Cavelettas and Ouroboros that guarantee escalating listener paroxysms, if not Scanners-style exploding heads.  The more relaxed new tracks, like Ilyena or Tourniquet Man, manage to encapsulate the strange lamentation of other Volta slow-burners while adding an eerie sense of menace.  The entire Volta crew is pushing themselves further than ever before.  And to anyone concerned about the arrival of a new drummer, rest at ease. The Bedlam in Goliath unveils Mr. Pridgen as a drum-pummeling berserker mainlining cheetah blood and snorting dusted mastodon bones, proving masterful with the elaborate and the explosive (and often melding both at the same time).   
   It’s worth noting, amidst all of this rhapsodic praise, how Omar and a crew of dedicated musicians have managed to breathe thrumming life into what was almost a stillborn album.  The audio that the first engineer (who, on an up note, is now on the mend and feeling much better) had left behind was close to unworkably snarled.  In his absence it became a scramble to rebuild what the band knew they had been creating in the studio.  Robert Carranza kicked in heavy on the engineering, sinking himself into the whole project with an added focus on the drum sonics.  Lars Stalfors and Isaiah Abolin were also called in, and along with Omar they dodged daylight for too-long stretches and slaved to rework each track.  Shawn Michael Sullivan and Claudius Mittendorfer did their best as editors to keep the band from having to start all over again.  The ever-reliable Volta-mixer Rich Costey tried to keep things positive and helped Omar battle what he called Goliath’s “quantum entanglement” (which even Rich saw evidenced by things like randomly disappearing drum tracks).
   The depth of that entanglement becomes apparent when you realize that Omar, always at the center of these struggles, almost gave up on this record.  The same Omar Rodriguez-Lopez that moved to Amsterdam and cut four solo albums while also working on Amputechture and a soundtrack for the Jorge Hernandez film El Bufalo de la Noche.  The same guy that’s probably working on a DVD, his own film, and 10 new albums right now.  But at certain points during work on Bedlam his nearly incandescent creative force was on the verge of being snuffed out.  And he was sure Goliath was behind the chaos.  After his studio flooded, Omar even banned all mention of the Ouija board for fear that simply acknowledging its existence might bring down some fatal blow.  Despite the disallowance, he remained haunted.  He’d wake to fits of late night inspiration only to find that there was a power blackout (but only in his loft), or that the parts he’d crafted in the midnight hour would later vaporize.  Production work became so nightmarish and Sisyphean that he’d occasionally check on the Soothsayer’s burial site, to see if it had been exhumed and “reactivated.”
   Knowing about the immense challenges faced in the creation of The Bedlam in Goliath only elevates my appreciation for Omar’s production.  With this record he has laid out a blueprint for anyone else seeking to combine the complex with the primeval and make it all hit you where it counts.  This is an album that’s electric for both the 3:00 AM headphone listener and the guy doing 90 on the interstate with the windows down. This is an album with an immense level of control and experimentation on display; for every section with intricately panning gut-punching drums and shimmering horn sounds and scorching guitars there’s another where you can sense a mischievous musical mind at play (e.g. the fuzzed out bass tones at the end of Ilyena or the real inserted recordings from Jerusalem or the sound of a live jack switching between demo and final versions on Askepios).  As a filmic analog, picture Kubrick or Fincher working in tandem with Bunuel or Jodorowsky. 
   Actually, similar analogs could be extended to the whole of the album itself.  The Volta have acknowledged the immense influence of surrealism and film on their work.  In relation just to Jodorowsky, The Bedlam in Goliath manages to evoke the languid madness of Fando y Lis, the infidelity and murder and worship of Santa Sangre, the broad-spectrum religious imagery of Holy Mountain, the sheer guts-on-the-table awe of El Topo.  Throw in the identity confusion head-fuckery of Lynch’s strangest films, Werner Herzog’s sense of obsession, a few dollops of Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple, and pinches of The Exorcist and Don’t Look Now and you’re starting to get the right idea.
   On the lyrical front, you should be warned: This is an unsettling piece of work.  You’re welcome to take Cedric’s vocals at surface level— he sounds incredible, his range broader than ever, his energy and emotion undeniable. 
    Or you can begin to translate.  Cedric Bixler-Zavala, like fellow musical mavericks Bjork and Ghostface Killah, uses primarily English words but speaks his own lyrical language.  If you examine the meaning behind his shrapnel-burst imagery, his obsessions with the grotesque and the profoundly sacred, you begin to realize he’s created a complex associative tapestry that’s designed with spider-web precision.  And before you know it you’re trapped.
   The more you read the story he’s laid out (an intricate meta-fictional narrative reminiscent of Danielewski’s House Of Leaves, involving both the transgressions of the past and the desire of the Goliath parasite to infest the Ouija-using host), the more you research his allusions and the history of the spirit board, the more uncanny connections you are bound to make.  You start to recognize a tie between certain vocal effects and messages from the board.  You wonder if focusing on this story too much might invite Goliath into your world.  Soon you’re jumping at shadows, shopping for salt and all-white outfits, surrounding yourself with graphs and counting words and letters and looking for codes, creating your own primordial cymatics using the album, feeling phantom tendrils in your bones. You begin to hope that all the positive elements Cedric covertly slid into the songs (a legion of religious references including snippets of Santeria-derived prayers, classic fables, the hidden name of a regal actress he holds in high regard, an underlying reverence for creation/menstruation, vague hints of redemption) really are helping to balance out and maybe even negate the darkness that has infested the album.
   You’re bound to have questions.  What exactly transpired in the tragic triangle?  Who was really in control and who were the victims?  Was anyone innocent?  How did they die and what happened to the bodies?  How did they come to rest within the Soothsayer?  If they return to our world, what will they do?
   Those answers (and more) are in there, fused at every level to songs of equal complexity and gravity.  And the closer you listen, the further you voyage into The Bedlam in Goliath, the more disquieting and compelling the Volta’s brilliant audiocelluloid epic becomes. 
   This album is the sound of a band playing— magnificently— for its life.  And it is a recording of such strange power that I believe the Goliath that haunts them will be forever struck down.
   Word.

— Jeremy Robert Johnson, October 27th, 2007, Portland, Oregon

The Zayin Division— A Second Stage Burial

I.  I am the simian martyr’s bullet-borne deliverance.
II.  Ideomotor effect.  Forced cryptomnesia.  Your shroud returns stale whispers.  Ropes tighten at each limb. 
III.  He half-woke to a wild leopard, to blood-pregnant air, the smell of his courted collapse.  Laurel twigs crossed her hidden tools.     
IV.  The holy glyph floats close, its gray light angles suffuse the bones now dust, flesh now jelly.  Every cell shakes loose its viral code.  Supernus pacta sunt servanda. 
V.  Its hands swept through in the crooked mandible, the chemical lobotomy swung blind, the monoxide possessions.  All of it annelid territory.
VI.  Sandover light shone symbiotic until you saw it swallow-shift.  Your retractions granted final grace.   
VII.  I will not follow your collapsing oblivion.   

—JRJ, October 28th, 2007, Portland, Oregon (First print copy interment)   

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2015, 12:58:55 AM »
I really love the energy of this record. The first 30-40 minutes are really good. But I never get past that. I listen to track 1-6, or track 7-12, I just can't make it all the way through. Apart from that, Goliath is one of the best things they've ever done, that buildup is insane!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2015, 03:25:13 AM »
Probably my favourite TMV record. It's so energetic and fun to listen to! Love it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2015, 06:44:12 AM »
A really great album. Probably my third favorite from them. :)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #171 on: September 28, 2015, 04:02:10 PM »
I really love the energy of this record. The first 30-40 minutes are really good. But I never get past that. I listen to track 1-6, or track 7-12, I just can't make it all the way through. Apart from that, Goliath is one of the best things they've ever done, that buildup is insane!
Yeah, occasionally when I listen to it, I’ll just play the first half. Just that on its own can be enough for the system depending on my mood.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: October 01, 2015, 01:46:27 PM »
bedlam is by far my favorite volta record. i love everything about it. people really like to complain about the production, but i think the production fits the record perfectly. it's too loud, it clips a lot, some things get lost a bit, but that's the essence of this record; it's not called the bedlam in goliath for nothing. it really lives up to the name.
prog sucks

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #173 on: October 01, 2015, 02:21:14 PM »
Love this album. Probably my 4th favorite from TMV (which speaks more about how great the band is).

Only real issues I have with it are how divided some of the songs are themselves. I often see many of them as having two parts to them, which in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but seems maybe a little formulaic when looking at the album as a whole, especially compared to the eccentric structures of songs on previous records. It definitely felt the most "planned out" of their albums thus far.

There's only a few moments that don't do much for me. The majority is awesome, relentless energy. Goliath is unbelievable indeed. :hefdaddy

I'd go as far as to say that Soothsayer is the unspoken masterwork of this album though. I could spin that shit for hours. To me it's the most layered track on Bedlam and that Middle Eastern vibe I just can't get enough of.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #174 on: October 01, 2015, 05:14:54 PM »
Only real issues I have with it are how divided some of the songs are themselves. I often see many of them as having two parts to them, which in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but seems maybe a little formulaic when looking at the album as a whole, especially compared to the eccentric structures of songs on previous records. It definitely felt the most "planned out" of their albums thus far.
Wow, I’ve never noticed that, but you’re totally right, there are quite a few two-part songs.