Author Topic: Masterchef/Cooking Show Thread  (Read 734 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Masterchef/Cooking Show Thread
« on: May 21, 2015, 10:54:20 AM »
Surely I can't be the only one who is into cooking shows?

I'm not a great cook by any means, but I like the creativity involved, and it's interesting to see what other people come up with. Masterchef US season 6 just started, and as always I feel divided. On one hand I think it's the best cooking show in the world, but the american version gets more and more obnoxious with each season and parts are hard to sit through. It's supposed to be a show about cooking, but I swear they talk about "dreams" way more than they mention the word "food". I would love for the show to focus more on the actual cooking and the tasting, similar to how the Australian version does it, but it's way too much focused on drama and american patrionism about dreams coming true. One thing I also dislike is when they try to trick us who went through, or they try to trick the actual person. So they start saying "I'm sorry..." and then the music intensifies, and then they say "but you will have to stay here longer".

So the start of S6 for me so far has been meh, but I felt similar last year. It feels like filler until they get into the kitchen and the contest really starts. I do love a lot of the show, the formula, the different challenges (pressure test, mystery box and so on), and the judges are IMO great. I love Gordon when he is not being the angry Hells Kitchen chef, and in Masterchef he sometimes gives really insightful opinions. Graham is pretty good, and the new lady seems good. (Joe's temper tantrums will be missed though!) So for me it only really boils down to the details, mainly the editing. If they showcased the cooking more, the show would get even better, but they waste so much time on creating conflicts and setting up drama, and have philosophical speeches about life. Sure, dreams can come true, but it feels more honest coming from the winner after they win, rather than 40 participants before they even get into the kitchen.

Anyhow, anyone else watching?  :)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Masterchef/Cooking Show Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 12:45:21 PM »
I love watching cooking shows but I much rather watch it on YT than on TV. Jamie Oliver has a great YT channel that collabs with lots of interesting chefs both pros and amateurs.

Jamie Oliver's Food Tube

Some other great channels:

Food Wishes
Ballistic BBQ

I would love for the show to focus more on the actual cooking and the tasting, similar to how the Australian version does it, but it's way too much focused on drama and american patrionism about dreams coming true.
You should seriously check out the original British version. It's the best without a doubt and exactly what you want. No drama, all focus on the food and cooking process and the hosts are really nice to.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:23:07 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Masterchef/Cooking Show Thread
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 09:13:42 PM »
I gave up on cooking shows once Top Chef jumped the shark.