Author Topic: Thank you, David Letterman  (Read 1710 times)

Offline T-ski

Thank you, David Letterman
« on: May 20, 2015, 08:26:59 AM »
my life will be missing a big part when he calls it quits Wednesday.  As a kid I would try my best to stay up as late as I could on Friday nights and watch his NBC show and then as I got older I never missed it.  His sarcastic sense of humor is a big influence in my everyday life and I can't even imagine how many of his mannerisms I've stolen over the years.

Oddly enough when I first met the woman who was to become my wife (we met at work), we would sit in the lobby at our work place and watch The Late Show together.

Thanks Dave, you're the best!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Thank you, David Letterman
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 10:00:58 AM »
I think I'm in the minority for sure when I say that Letterman really didn't do much for me....I guess I just didn't "get" his humor. Not to say he never made me laugh....but I just never got into him....or Leno for that matter. I don't think either of them were/are very funny.

But that doesn't diminish the dudes career and what he did for the countless other comedians out there....certainly something to be proud of as he enjoys retirement.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:15:41 AM »
I've never seen Letterman.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:26:27 AM »
He's the only late night show host that really makes me laugh. I first encountered his show in an obscure channel here in the Philippines in the late 1990s.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 10:35:34 AM »
I first encountered Letterman when I was in high school and he was doing "Late Night" after Carson.

That remains, to this day, the best late night show I've ever seen. 

After the Leno fiasco and Carson left the air, I followed Dave over to CBS for the "Late Show."  That was awesome, too.  But he eventually lost his way, and the quality of the show dipped.

His monologue on the first episode back after 9/11 remains one of the most wonderful things I've ever seen on network TV.

I am now a fan of Fallon on the Tonight Show, but I still check in on Dave every once in a while, and he has actually seemed much looser lately, more like his old self.

Cheers, old friend.  I hope you have health and happiness.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:03:49 AM »
Y'know, they've stopped airing Dave already in my country :( the channel that usually shows him has swapped him out for Fallon.  While I find Fallon a lot funnier, I think I just prefer Dave's interview style and the calibre of his guests.  I found some great artists through TLS show as well.  I wish him all the best.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:22:03 AM »
As a non american, his show was my first encounter with an american talk show. I loved it and he had a way of combining silly things and comedy but still have serious moments like of course the 9/11 speech.

Jimmy Kimmel did a nice little homage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y29ELOsXSI0
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 11:57:21 AM »
Y'know, they've stopped airing Dave already in my country :( the channel that usually shows him has swapped him out for Fallon.  While I find Fallon a lot funnier, I think I just prefer Dave's interview style and the calibre of his guests.  I found some great artists through TLS show as well.  I wish him all the best.
I don't think there is any question that Letterman is the best actual interviewer on late night.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 12:50:21 PM »
I first encountered Letterman when I was in high school and he was doing "Late Night" after Carson.

After the Leno fiasco and Carson left the air, I followed Dave over to CBS for the "Late Show."  That was awesome, too.  But he eventually lost his way, and the quality of the show dipped.

His monologue on the first episode back after 9/11 remains one of the most wonderful things I've ever seen on network TV.

I am now a fan of Fallon on the Tonight Show, but I still check in on Dave every once in a while, and he has actually seemed much looser lately, more like his old self.

Pretty much all of this is the same for me.  Johnny, then Dave.

Dave's done a lot of stuff over the years, but for some reason, one memory that sticks with me is one time when Cher was on his show.  A great example of how quick his wit is, and his sense of humor.  Cher was wearing something completely ridiculous, as usual, and was explaining to Dave how she'd picked it out.

Cher: So I was telling my friend, I'm going to be on David Letterman tonight--
Dave: On the show.
Cher: ... what?
Dave: You said you were going to be on David Letterman.
Cher: You %*&#!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 01:54:25 PM »
lol yes

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 07:53:14 PM »
I haven't watched Letterman regularly since the late 80s, but he was so great during his NBC days. He definitely lost his edge once he got too popular, but you can't give shit to your guests non-stop and expect them to keep coming back. 

I did DVR all three final shows this week, and I'll flip through them this weekend.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 02:42:36 AM »
Foo Fighters: "Everlong" - David Letterman

Awesome montage and ending to the show!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Mladen

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 08:03:08 AM »
I'm a huge fan of Conan O'Brien and, despite him being the only talk show host I've really been following over the years, I sometimes like to pretend I know a little something about American late night program. But the fact is, I've never really watched Letterman, even though it's a known fact that his influence on that kind of shows is enormous, he obviously made a huge difference. I have so much respect for him even though I haven't been following him as much. I saw a tribute Conan did last night and was really touched by it.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 08:45:34 AM »
^ I saw that as well and that's why I came to post here. I'm 32 now and I never liked David Letterman, my talk show experience since the late 90's has been with Conan but I have come to understand how older people would think Letterman and Leno were better than Conan now that I'm older and think Jimmy Fallon's comedy is utter pig poop while people in their early to mid twenties find him hilarious, I'm thinking comedy's generational gaps range 8 to 10 years heh
Letterman has always been a friend of Green Day's and all their best TV performances were on his show, the drummer always pulled off a new stunt just for Letterman's amusement and Letterman always liked it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 09:52:30 AM »
I'm 42 and I love Fallon.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 10:18:36 AM »
I'm 42 and I love Fallon.

I'm 45, and for the first time, I feel like The Tonight Show finally found a worthy successor to Carson.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
Interesting! I couldn't get past his first year, I might give him another shot.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 10:44:26 AM »
I'm 33 and can't stand Fallon. I think SNL ruined him for me.

Conan is my favourite talk show host, but Letterman is a close 2nd. So many nights I've watched his show while I was growing up. Thanks for the many laughs.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 11:56:18 AM »
Interesting i'm 32 and have no problem with Fallon. He's not the best interviewer but I think he will grow into that. I first discovered Letterman and then Leno which I actually thought was entertaining until I watched Conan and basically abandoned Leno. Have to say though I do enjoy his car channel on YT.  :lol I actually think Kimmel, Fallon and Conan are all funny on their own. Have to say though that my favourite late night host was probably Craig Ferguson. Both Seth and Corden are alright, to early to tell.
Stephen will be brilliant though, I feel he's the perfect replacement for Letterman.

Side note: I think Conan has the worst fake laugh though.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 01:26:19 PM »
I personally think that part of Fallon's charm is that he still seems a bit "star struck" in his interviews.   It's almost like he goes just a touch "fan boy" without overdoing it.   It gives him that "I'm not like them, I'm like you guys at home" charm that Rosie O'Donnell had when her show was just starting out.   I loved that quality about her when she was just starting up. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 03:00:33 PM »
I agree, he definitely comes off as being incredibly grateful for the opportunity he has.  I think he knows exactly how lucky he is.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 03:35:25 PM »
Fallon was very iffy when he started out, but he has improved greatly since then. I catch some clips on youtube every once in a while, and he's fun to watch.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 04:09:02 PM »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 04:29:14 PM »
I didn't watch Fallon's entire first season, so he may have been shaky as it went on...but his first show just felt like he hit it out of the park to me.   So it was my immediate first impression that I was witnessing history.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 06:22:18 PM »
A legend like Letterman retires and this devolves into a discussion about others? :facepalm:

Even though I do not watch him anymore, it will be strange now knowing that he isn't on anymore.  Like many in my age bracket, he was a big part of my TV life growing up.  Thanks for all of the laughs, David. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 06:34:41 PM »

Thank you Hef.  This is perect.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2015, 03:04:48 AM »
It's fun seeing all the praise Letterman gets from diffrent hosts:

Jimmy Fallon
Conan
Kimmel
Seth Meyers
James Corden
Jon Stewart

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2015, 05:12:54 AM »
The Conan and Kimmel messages were great.

Best punchline during the finale was Julia Louis Dreyfus'.  :rollin

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 06:31:09 PM »
I must say over the years I have only watched Letterman when he has a guest I want to see, I do like that he actually talks to his guests for a decent amount of time, where Jimmy Fallon and Ellen Degeneres seem to spend about five good mins. I loved Craig Ferguson but he finished, I like Jon Stewart but he will be off the air soon as well.
I can't comment on the others because they do not screen in Australia, we had Conan last year but he has since disappeared.

I do agree Julia Louis Dreyfuss had the best comment of the night, great to see Foo Fighters perform.

I look forward now to see how Stephen Colbert goes.... looking forward to it.  :smiley:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 05:47:24 AM »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2015, 06:45:58 AM »
Watching now... This is a lot funnier than Letterman...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2015, 10:52:53 AM »
The band is fantastic.  Plus, kudos to Steve for getting Buddy Guy and Tedeschi/Trucks to sit in with his band for the finale.